Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

A.J. Burnett 2013 Outlook


  • Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 dfresh713

dfresh713

    Just Drafted

  • Probationary Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

He's been announced Pittsburg's opening Pitcher.  Will there be a repeat like 2012.

#2 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Surprising to see this thread get no action. Big value if he can repeat last year.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#3 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

    All-Time Great

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,834 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Losing the Astros from that division takes some of his appeal away.  Reds upgraded there lineup, Cards are super tough, Brewers are tough, the Cubs and Astros were the whipping boys you could count for a QS start against just about everytime out.  I still think he is a solid 5/6 SP, you just have to be smart with where and who you start him against.  He is not an every turn out starter at this point.

#4 clutchcityfan

clutchcityfan

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostCmilne23, on 23 March 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Losing the Astros from that division takes some of his appeal away.  Reds upgraded there lineup, Cards are super tough, Brewers are tough, the Cubs and Astros were the whipping boys you could count for a QS start against just about everytime out.  I still think he is a solid 5/6 SP, you just have to be smart with where and who you start him against.  He is not an every turn out starter at this point.

Outside of the top 15-20 pitchers, no one is an every turn out starter. Burnett is being drafted around 200, so he's a good value pick.

#5 rag9876

rag9876

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

His peripherals really matched well with what he did last year, as he greatly improved his control and induced lots of ground balls.  It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the gains he made in terms of BB numbers.  Certainly moving to the NL helped keep his Ks plentiful too.

#6 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postrag9876, on 23 March 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

His peripherals really matched well with what he did last year, as he greatly improved his control and induced lots of ground balls.  It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the gains he made in terms of BB numbers.  Certainly moving to the NL helped keep his Ks plentiful too.

Yup.  His peripherals were nastyyyy.  This is Moneyball right here.  No one wants this guy, but the deep, underlying peripherals are really fantastic.

#7 gbill2004

gbill2004

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

AJ has 7 K's through 3 innings.  Looking studly so far!
Competitive 10 team H2H deep re-draft league.  Roster below (starting spots in brackets):

C (2) Buster Posey, Brian McCann, Wilson Ramos
1B (2) Chris Davis, Mark Teixeira, Billy Butler
2B (2) Dustin Pedroia, Brandon Phillips
SS (2) Jose Reyes, JJ Hardy
3B (2) Edwin Encarnacion, Josh Donaldson, Chase Headley
OF (4) Bryce Harper, Hunter Pence, Michael Bourn, Kole Calhoun

SP (4) David Price, Matt Cain, Johnny Cueto, Yordano Ventura, Sonny Gray, Garrett Richards, Julio Teheran, Josh Beckett, Ian Kennedy, Michael Pineda, James Paxton
RP (2) Francisco Rodriguez, Joakim Soria

#8 JoeMomma

JoeMomma

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Clearwater, FL

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostMy Dinner With Andre, on 23 March 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

View Postrag9876, on 23 March 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

His peripherals really matched well with what he did last year, as he greatly improved his control and induced lots of ground balls.  It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the gains he made in terms of BB numbers.  Certainly moving to the NL helped keep his Ks plentiful too.

Yup.  His peripherals were nastyyyy.  This is Moneyball right here.  No one wants this guy, but the deep, underlying peripherals are really fantastic.

Great points. So far so good today. Gave up the bomb to Rizzo, but 7 K's ZERO walks so far. Gimme more of that.
12 team 8x8 Roto Redraft League
Hitting (AVG, OBP, SLG, R RBI, HR, SB,)
Pitching (QS, WHIP, ERA, K, S, HO, K/9, H/9)

C--Buster Posey
C---Jason Castro
1B---Paul Goldschmidt
2B---Ian Kinsler
3B---Nolan Arenado
SS---Alexei Ramirez
CI---Anthony Rizzo
MI---Josh Rutledge
OF---Justin Upton, Austin Jackson, Dexter Fowler, Josh Reddick
UTIL---Billy Butler, Peter Bourjos
Bench---Eric Young. Jr, Ike Davis, Dustin Ackley

SP---Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Rick Porcello, Justin Masterson
RP---Edward Mujica, Jim Henderson, Huston Street, Brett Cecil, Mark Melancon, Junichi Tazawa, Tony Cingrani, Andrew Miller, Al Alburquerque

DL---Derek Jeter, Jedd Gyroko, Alex Cobb, Brandon Morrow, Sean Marshall

#9 sfdevil

sfdevil

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostJoeMomma, on 01 April 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

View PostMy Dinner With Andre, on 23 March 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

View Postrag9876, on 23 March 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

His peripherals really matched well with what he did last year, as he greatly improved his control and induced lots of ground balls.  It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the gains he made in terms of BB numbers.  Certainly moving to the NL helped keep his Ks plentiful too.

Yup.  His peripherals were nastyyyy.  This is Moneyball right here.  No one wants this guy, but the deep, underlying peripherals are really fantastic.

Great points. So far so good today. Gave up the bomb to Rizzo, but 7 K's ZERO walks so far. Gimme more of that.
nice jinx there

#10 Neymar

Neymar

    Allstar

  • Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

View Postsfdevil, on 01 April 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostJoeMomma, on 01 April 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

View PostMy Dinner With Andre, on 23 March 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

View Postrag9876, on 23 March 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

His peripherals really matched well with what he did last year, as he greatly improved his control and induced lots of ground balls.  It will be interesting to see if he can maintain the gains he made in terms of BB numbers.  Certainly moving to the NL helped keep his Ks plentiful too.

Yup.  His peripherals were nastyyyy.  This is Moneyball right here.  No one wants this guy, but the deep, underlying peripherals are really fantastic.

Great points. So far so good today. Gave up the bomb to Rizzo, but 7 K's ZERO walks so far. Gimme more of that.
nice jinx there

By "jinx", do you mean just worked his way out of a tight jam including 2 Ks??  Yres, he did give up a walk, but looked pretty cool and composed working his way out of 2nd and 3rd with nobody out.  I'll take it.

Edited by Neymar, 01 April 2013 - 02:02 PM.


#11 matt leinart's dance shoes

matt leinart's dance shoes

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Anyone starting him against the Dodgers tonight?
10 team .5PPR, 2 QB keeper league
QB: Cam Newton, Philip Rivers
WR: Antonio Brown, Golden Tate
RB: CJ Spiller, Darren Sproles
TE: Jimmy Graham
W/T: Keenan Allen
W/R: Fred Jackson
K: Garrett Hartley
DEF: St Louis
Bench: Ryan Matthews, Mike James, Andre Ellington, Dwayne Bowe, Cecil Shorts, Julian Edelman, Shane Vereen (IR), Tom Brady

#12 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

off to a good start


Bottom 1st: LA Dodgers
- M. Ellis struck out swinging
- M. Kemp struck out swinging
- A. Gonzalez struck out swinging

#13 elrey

elrey

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

AJ is a strikeout machine these first two starts of the season. 19 Ks in 11 innings.

#14 Smallball

Smallball

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

That knuckle curve is sick.

He looks so composed compared to his early years. Even in the first few innings where they thought the dodgers were stealing signs he just adjusted and moved on.

Pretty fun guy to watch!

#15 matt leinart's dance shoes

matt leinart's dance shoes

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Despite being 36 years old, his stuff is still really good.  Burnett was routinely hitting 96 with his fastball and his curve was nasty as usual.  Glad I decided to start him even though he didn't pick up the QS.
10 team .5PPR, 2 QB keeper league
QB: Cam Newton, Philip Rivers
WR: Antonio Brown, Golden Tate
RB: CJ Spiller, Darren Sproles
TE: Jimmy Graham
W/T: Keenan Allen
W/R: Fred Jackson
K: Garrett Hartley
DEF: St Louis
Bench: Ryan Matthews, Mike James, Andre Ellington, Dwayne Bowe, Cecil Shorts, Julian Edelman, Shane Vereen (IR), Tom Brady

#16 gbill2004

gbill2004

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

STUD!!!
Competitive 10 team H2H deep re-draft league.  Roster below (starting spots in brackets):

C (2) Buster Posey, Brian McCann, Wilson Ramos
1B (2) Chris Davis, Mark Teixeira, Billy Butler
2B (2) Dustin Pedroia, Brandon Phillips
SS (2) Jose Reyes, JJ Hardy
3B (2) Edwin Encarnacion, Josh Donaldson, Chase Headley
OF (4) Bryce Harper, Hunter Pence, Michael Bourn, Kole Calhoun

SP (4) David Price, Matt Cain, Johnny Cueto, Yordano Ventura, Sonny Gray, Garrett Richards, Julio Teheran, Josh Beckett, Ian Kennedy, Michael Pineda, James Paxton
RP (2) Francisco Rodriguez, Joakim Soria

#17 PPolanco

PPolanco

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,363 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

The lance berkman of pitchers. Will be the biggest steal of the draft if he remains healthy. Passed over in drafts solely due to age but he's a strikeout artist on an improving team in the NL
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#18 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

And finally a QS to go along with all the Ks!

#19 mpbaseball22

mpbaseball22

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

He will finish the season 0-15 with a 3era
16 Team Dynasty with Milb rosters (40 man mlb, 35 man milb) 15 start limit
McCatchin Trout
C: Posey
1B: Lind
2B: Kipnis
3B: Alvarez
SS: Hardy
IF: Asdrubal
OF: McCutchen, Trout, Beltran, Gattis
U: Harrison, Moustakas, Dietrich
Bench: Chris Young, Ruf, Eduardo Escobar, Valencia, Freiman, Reimold

SP: Gio, Zimmerman, Kazmir, Cashner, Holland, Simon, Kennedy, Duffy, Morton, Hutchison, McCarthy, Miguel Gonzalez, Feldman
RP: Holland, Rosenthal, Melancon, Doolittle, Ramos, Santos, Cecil, Frieri, Oviedo, Giles, Andrew Bailey

Notable prospects (35 man rosters):
Bundy, Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, Dahl, Heredia, Alcantra, Mike Montgomery, Law, Kevin Franklin, Brian Ragira, Joan Gregorio, Pat Light, Heathcott, Jacobs, Adalberto Mejia, Daniel Palka, Aderlin Rodriguez, Erick Leal, Aaron Slegers, Brandon Cumpton, Jake Lamb, Lambo, Vaughn Bryan, Adam Brett Walker, Scott Carroll, Lorenzen, Voth, Walters, Wendle, Mella, Lugo, Jose Dominguez, Ken Giles, Jefry Rodriguez, Franmil Reyes

#20 drisser

drisser

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

So frustrating to see him pitch so well consistently and not get W's.
ESPN 12 Team H2H Points
C Santana
1B Duda
2B Kipnis
3B Longoria
SS Escobar
2B/SS Rendon
1B/3B Morales

OF Stanton
OF Braun
OF Cruz
OF
Davis
OF Dickerson
UT Calhoun
BN Bruce, Blackmon, Encarnacion (DL)

SP Cueto, Lee, Fister, Wood, Arrieta, Hahn, Wheeler, Stroman, Minor, McCarthy




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users