Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Fernando Rodney 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#1 UCONNBA

UCONNBA

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Does he replicate last year's success?

#2 Batmaster

Batmaster

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

If you (or I) draft him, no -- if you (or I) pass on him, yes.....................

hard to expect that he'll be that good again, but top 10 closer seems realistic

#3 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'll be passing on him for sure.  That season came out of nowhere and he doesn't have a track record that says repeat.  The inflated price tag and the unknown is more than enough for me to pass on.
12 team 5x5 H2H League

C - Lucroy
1st - V-Mart
2nd - Kipnis
SS - Castro
3rd - Aramis
OF - Trout, Choo, Bautisa
UTIL - Pujols, Panda, Lind
BENCH - Mesoraco, R. Davis, Baez

SP - Anibal, Shields, Iwakumi, Cashner, Samardzija, E. Santana, Hudson, McHugh, Worley
RP - Doolittle, Casilla, McGee

#4 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostUCONNBA, on 22 February 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

I don't think there's one person in the world (except for Fernando's mother) who thinks he can replicate his 2012 numbers.

I also feel that most everyone has him rated outside of the top 5 closers.  i.e  in MDII on this forum I selected him in the 13th round and he was the 7th closer off the board.

#5 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

View Postjb_power, on 22 February 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

I don't think there's one person in the world (except for Fernando's mother) who thinks he can replicate his 2012 numbers.

I also feel that most everyone has him rated outside of the top 5 closers.  i.e  in MDII on this forum I selected him in the 13th round and he was the 7th closer off the board.

I don't know if anyone can replicate his numbers last year.  They were historic.

The real question is how far does he decline?  To a 2.5 ERA?  3?  3.5?

Edited by 96mnc, 22 February 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#6 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

View Post96mnc, on 22 February 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

I don't know if anyone can replicate his numbers last year.  They were historic.

It's funny, RW's draft guide suggests that his ERA could quintuple from last season, and for any other guy, that would be a nightmare.  For Rodney, it means going from 0.60 to 3.00.

I think the truth is in between, and even if he does hover around 3.00, it's not a killer, unless he's blowing saves in the process.  As offered in the Closer thread, there has been analysis into Rodney's historic season and it's about as close to being repeatable as you can get in sports: http://forums.rotowo...20#entry3282742

He will slide in drafts, simply because people don't trust him, but I'm all in.
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#7 Wavier JunKie

Wavier JunKie

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostTimmah!, on 22 February 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

View Post96mnc, on 22 February 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

It's funny, RW's draft guide suggests that his ERA could quintuple from last season, and for any other guy, that would be a nightmare.  For Rodney, it means going from 0.60 to 3.00.

I think the truth is in between, and even if he does hover around 3.00, it's not a killer, unless he's blowing saves in the process.  As offered in the Closer thread, there has been analysis into Rodney's historic season and it's about as close to being repeatable as you can get in sports: http://forums.rotowo...20#entry3282742

He will slide in drafts, simply because people don't trust him, but I'm all in.

Yes sir.  I will take him around 100 every chance I get.  Something special happened when he went to the Rays.  Jim Hickey maybe?

#8 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

He's Godney! I still believe. Probably not .6, but I can see 2.5.
Bring back Ray!

#9 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

It's almost like Rodney is being undervalued/underrated in rankings this season based on the fact he's going to "regress".

Had a historic season and he's rated below the top 100 in mocks? I'll take Rodney in the 10th round if people are that afraid of him.

#10 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Reminds me of Brad Lidge's 2008 season.  Lidge had an amazing year, but he got stupid lucky in a lot of respects.  Stat correction for the ages the following year.

#11 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'm also a big believer.  Looks like I'll be owning him everywhere.

#12 juice219

juice219

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

As a Tiger fan, I watched him have close to zero control. Was happy when he went to LA, and even have less control. Dude isn't exactly young.  I'm on the 1 year fluke bad wagon. No way he comes close to making the AS game.

#13 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

what if he pulls a Bautista and pulls the same numbers and like, 55SV?  I could see many people just /e-suiciding for passing lol

I'm not sold on him though, not with those career numbers; and I owned him last year when I picked him up from FA as I needed a closer hah
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#14 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Everybody keeps citing his career numbers.  He made some pretty significant changes in his delivery before last season (much like the aforementioned Bautista before he broke out).  You can't just dismiss him due to his horrid career numbers.  The guy is a (very) different pitcher now.

But I'm glad people think this way.  It got me a nice price on Bautista a few years ago, and is getting me a nice price on the guy who had the lowest ERA in MLB history last year.  Yes, please.

Now, I'm certainly not saying he's going to have a sub-1.00 ERA again this year...but I do think he'll repeat as an elite closer.

#15 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,499 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

I'll pass. Ignoring - he's still going too high at 10 if that's the price.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#16 CM52

CM52

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Jake McGee will be closing by the end of the year.  But go ahead and buy.

#17 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostCM52, on 11 March 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

Jake McGee will be closing by the end of the year.  But go ahead and buy.

Barring injury, the only thing McGee will be closing is the bullpen door after Rodney leaves to shut down another 9th inning.

#18 juice219

juice219

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostNeymar, on 11 March 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Everybody keeps citing his career numbers.  He made some pretty significant changes in his delivery before last season (much like the aforementioned Bautista before he broke out).  You can't just dismiss him due to his horrid career numbers.  The guy is a (very) different pitcher now.

But I'm glad people think this way.  It got me a nice price on Bautista a few years ago, and is getting me a nice price on the guy who had the lowest ERA in MLB history last year.  Yes, please.

Now, I'm certainly not saying he's going to have a sub-1.00 ERA again this year...but I do think he'll repeat as an elite closer.

Umm, you can't dismiss his horrid career numbers???huh?  What else is there to go on?  At his age, and past history, I think the odds are that he resorts back to his career numbers, rather than his one magical year. Jmo. Even Brady Anderson hit 50 hr one year. He is already kept and owned in my league. I will just sit back and watch the implosion.

#19 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

View Postjuice219, on 11 March 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostNeymar, on 11 March 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Umm, you can't dismiss his horrid career numbers???huh?  What else is there to go on?  At his age, and past history, I think the odds are that he resorts back to his career numbers, rather than his one magical year. Jmo. Even Brady Anderson hit 50 hr one year. He is already kept and owned in my league. I will just sit back and watch the implosion.

So did you not understand the part about him changing his delivery significantly and why that's important, or did you simply ignore it?

Everybody always cites Brady Anderson.  We already know why he had that season...roids.  It completely baffles me why people continue to bring up that season when it is easily explainable and was not simply an anomalous season in comparison to his other seasons.  It was steroid fueled, period.

Edited by Neymar, 11 March 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#20 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

Rodney and Eckersley were both 35 when they did amazing
The year following his amazing year, Ecker racked up 43 saves, but a 3 era, and then the years after well...yeah...old age was showing
The difference between the two?  Ecker was actually GOOD before his historic year...Rodney was not
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants