Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Sergio Santos 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 JasonPark

JasonPark

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

He's apparently looked good throwing live BP, and says his shoulder feels better than it did before the injury.

He saved 30 games in 2011, with a K/9 of 13.1.  Janssen is the closer going into the season, but how do you guys think Santos will perform?

Edited by dzemens, 22 February 2013 - 04:15 PM.
Team and league specific trade advice belongs in the Bench Coach Forum. Please consult the Posting Guidelines.

14 team dynasty league, 6x6 scoring, standard Yahoo! scoring plus OBP and Holds.
Start 1 C, 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 SS, 3 OF, 2 Util., 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P.

C: Jason Castro (Hou.), Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Bos.)
1B: Chris Davis (also OF – Bal.), Mark Trumbo (also OF - LAA), Matt Adams (StL.)
2B: Brad Miller (also SS - Sea.), Nick Franklin (Sea.)
3B: Pedro Alvarez (3B - Pit.), Miguel Sano (also SS – Min.), Will Middlebrooks (Bos.)
SS:  Jonathan Villar (Hou.)
OF: Jason Heyward (Atl.), Jay Bruce (Cin.), Colby Rasmus (Tor.), Jacoby Ellsbury (NYY), Josh Reddick (OF - Oak.)
SP: Zack Greinke (LAD), Chris Sale (CWS), Brandon Morrow (Tor.), Daniel Straily (Oak.), Tony Cingrani (also RP - Cin.), Martin Perez (also RP – Tex.), Kyle Gibson (Min.), Drew Smyly (also RP - Det.), Tyler Skaggs (Ari.)
RP: Rex Brothers (Col.), Jake McGee (TB), Ernesto Frieri (LAA),

NA: Miguel Sano (3B, SS - Min.), Jameson Taillon (SP - Pit.)

#2 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Personally feel like Jansen is going to have to get hurt or falter before Santos gets a shot... and shoulder injuries in general, when it comes to pitchers, scare the crap out of me.

I could see him come back and pitch very well, but I think it's Jansen's job to lose.

#3 biggedge

biggedge

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostJFS171, on 22 February 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

Personally feel like Jansen is going to have to get hurt or falter before Santos gets a shot... and shoulder injuries in general, when it comes to pitchers, scare the crap out of me.

I could see him come back and pitch very well, but I think it's Jansen's job to lose.

But it's Janssen who had the offseason shoulder surgery, right?  I think this is definitely a situation to watch.  TOR brought Santos in to be the closer, and I expect he will have the job back sometime soon.

#4 papasmurf

papasmurf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Santos is likely gonna start the season at CL, and unless he gets hurt, probably won't give it back.

#5 2Balls

2Balls

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

View Postpapasmurf, on 02 March 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Santos is likely gonna start the season at CL, and unless he gets hurt, probably won't give it back.

Unless of course he pitches like he did in the 2nd half of 2011, or the beginning of 2012 before being injured. I guess what I'm getting at is Santos has had about a half a year as a good closer and is no lock to hang onto the job.

#6 dod959

dod959

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Santos's stuff is unfair. Best slider  in the game arguably .

Janssen's hurt right now. Santos will save 30 games this season I'd say.

#7 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Janssen will be back this week and show why he is the closer. Saved 23/25 games last year. Its his job to lose unless of course he isn't ready.

#8 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Post2Balls, on 02 March 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

View Postpapasmurf, on 02 March 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Unless of course he pitches like he did in the 2nd half of 2011, or the beginning of 2012 before being injured. I guess what I'm getting at is Santos has had about a half a year as a good closer and is no lock to hang onto the job.

I agree but I think Santos is capable of holding the job. He's a guy I'm hoping to get on the cheap, figuring someone will assume Janssen is going to get the job back easily and return quickly. I think if Santos pitches good, he'll hold onto the job once Janssen returns unless he starts coughing up leads like crazy or is already slumping before Janssen returns. He's one of these guys who strikes me as the type to be great or very mediocre-- not a lot of room for in between...

If he can keep the walks under control and not give up long balls, I think he'll be fine... 35 saves isn't unrealistic to expect. Similar to the Storen situation last year, I think the hot-hand in the Jays' pen will wind up holding the job into the season... unless no one emerges prior to Janssen's return. It's a situation to monitor early on, as they could generate a good number of saves. But I would be investing my pebbles in Santos if I'm picking one arm from their bullpen for saves.... at least as of now. Going to eyeball him through spring training for velocity reports and stuff, and just to eye his overall numbers as a whole...
Team #1: currently winning $250 if the season ended today.
Team #2: currently winning $1.250 if the season ended today.
This site: as bad as Yahoo's new updates when it comes to news blurbs and typos. I'll donate my earnings if you'll fix your news?

#9 papasmurf

papasmurf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

I think you mean Sep. 2011. He was fine in the 2nd half overall. Might have been hurt in Sep. I don't know. He basically had 2 bad months and 4 very good to great ones.

For a late round pick, it'd be stupid to not take a shot at Santos for cheap saves. Let someone else take Janssen then pounce on Santos.

I am not high about Janssen this yr. Teams and players tend to downplay injuries. For a "minor" procedure, he's not recovering fast.

If Santos gets off to a good start, I think he hangs on to the job. At the very least, he's gonna give him a great K rate.

#10 papasmurf

papasmurf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Is Santos hurt again? Nowhere to be seen despite 8th inning and 2 run lead.

#11 papasmurf

papasmurf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Answering my own question: tricep soreness recurrence...