Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Michael Crabtree 2013 Season OutlookFinally the Stud he was supposed to be?

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#1 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

I see him becoming a top 5 ish PPR WR next year.  Over his last 13 games counting playoffs, he was a top 5 Fantasy WR last year.  With Kapernick at Qb to start the year, I see no reason for this not to continue.    He looks healthy and looks like the guy many of us thought he would be coming out of college.    I know there is a lot of worthy candidates for top 5 WR consideration but Crabs with Kapernick actually performed at the level for the majority of the season....and if Kapernick improves Crabs numbers could even rise.   I am all in for Crabs next year.

#2 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Amazing what happens when you get to play with an actual NFL QB.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#3 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Agreed the QB helped a ton but I also think he got fully healthy and matured a little.  Expecting a huge year from him.

#4 justzeetip

justzeetip

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

so who do you think he would rank ahead of to get in the top 5? i think calvin johnson dez bryant aj green demariyus thomas brandon marshall randall cobb vincent jackson julio jones are all better players and will rank ahead of crabtree plus guys like welker andre johnson roddy white n reggie wayne all have a good chance to still beat out crabtree
10 Team Dynasty league (play more players to make it more competitive)

QB           RGIII
RB           L Mccoy, J Charles
RB/WR    Woodhead
WR          Dez Bryant, T. Smith, K Allen
WR/TE     Julius Thomas
TE           J. Graham
D/ST        Streaming
K             Vinatieri
BE           L. Miller, P. Rivers, Andre Brown, M Lattimore, C. Patterson, Michael Floyd, M Wallace, L Green

#5 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Well. Most of your list didn't rank ahead of him for the final 13 weeks...so not sure but he will be in that mix. And to say they are all "better players" isn't factual...just an opinion. Crabs was a monster in college, high first round pick...then turned into a diva that couldn't stay healthy.  He is healty now and seems to have put the work in ...so as far as talent goes, there are only a few on your list I would say are more talented without question....if Kapernick turns into the stud he looks like he can be, Crabs upside is very intriguing as his #1 WR.

#6 hardway

hardway

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Family, Football, Mountain Biking, Spearfishing, Guns, Motorcycles, the usual

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

View Postjustzeetip, on 23 February 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

so who do you think he would rank ahead of to get in the top 5? i think calvin johnson dez bryant aj green demariyus thomas brandon marshall randall cobb vincent jackson julio jones are all better players and will rank ahead of crabtree plus guys like welker andre johnson roddy white n reggie wayne all have a good chance to still beat out crabtree

I don't agree that those players are better than Crabtree.  Some of those listed are physically much larger than Crab and are therefore better at catching the jump ball, but Crabtree's hands and run after the catch abilities are right there with the best in the league.  I think a lot of players you listed would have a hard time handling the lasers that Kaep throws, particularly Dez and Marshall.  And Vincent Jackson? You must be joking.

#7 justzeetip

justzeetip

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

well im adding cobb with jennings leaving making him rodgers #1 target which makes pretty much anyone a top wr.. other than that, dez calvin marshall andre johnson and demaryius thomas were all better than crabtree in the 2nd half of the year so idk where u get ur facts.. hell t.y. hilton n justin blackmon had similar stats to crabtree through the 2nd half

QB           RGIII
RB/WR    Woodhead
WR/TE     Julius Thomas
TE           J. Graham
D/ST        Streaming
K             Vinatieri
BE           L. Miller, P. Rivers, Andre Brown, M Lattimore, C. Patterson, Michael Floyd, M Wallace, L Green

#8 justzeetip

justzeetip

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Posthardway, on 23 February 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

View Postjustzeetip, on 23 February 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

I don't agree that those players are better than Crabtree.  Some of those listed are physically much larger than Crab and are therefore better at catching the jump ball, but Crabtree's hands and run after the catch abilities are right there with the best in the league.  I think a lot of players you listed would have a hard time handling the lasers that Kaep throws, particularly Dez and Marshall.  And Vincent Jackson? You must be joking.

So your down playing dez and marshall the #2 and 3 recievers and u think crabtree is top 5? what a joke dez put up 875 yards and 10 tds some with a broken finger in the same time crabtree put up 663 with 6 tds n marshall puts up 100+ receptions every year from different qbs most being not very good so good job picking the 2 easiest recievers to defend for me.. and vj is similar to crabtree just bigger.. Top 5 WRs in terms of overall ability and talent is calvin dez marshall aj green n julio jones maybe swap one out for demaryius thomas and if u think crabtee ranks up there with them ur out of ur mind.. im not arguing that hes not a 2nd tier wr with the rest of my list, although i think everyone on my list will outplay him, but ranking him up there with the top in the league is just crazy

QB           RGIII
RB/WR    Woodhead
WR/TE     Julius Thomas
TE           J. Graham
D/ST        Streaming
K             Vinatieri

#9 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Simple point was.....Crabs was a beast over his last 13 games.   Not arguing if he is more talented then any given WR....all opinion and nobody is right or wrong.  Crabs is the unquestioned #1 WR for a potential stud QB....and he put up huge numbers through the end if season/playoffs....so if thinking he could be a super stud next year is wrong then I don't wanna be right.

#10 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Just to clarify my "facts".   Over his last 13 games including playoffs, Crabs averaged almost 20 points a week in PPR leagues.    That would place him in the top 5 WRs in my league if he sustained those numbers over the course of a season.  Obviously Kapernick made a major difference in his fantasy value.   Sure, there about 10-15 guys who could be in the top 5...we could debate who is better all day, but Crabs is in that mix and the recent "facts" support this.    Real easy to say whoever was in top 10 last year will be this year but there are generally surprises every year and my prediction is Crabs will emerge as one of them.

#11 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Crabtree & Vincent Jackson have nothing in common in their games.

Crabtree is the truth now. He'll be a PPR monster next year (if he & Kap stay heathly.)

#12 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

He finished 14th overall in standard leagues so top 10 shouldn't be a problem, considering Alex Smith won't be holding him back anymore.

#13 sfdevil

sfdevil

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

PPR monster, but Id be careful in std leagues. Even tho Kaep likes to target him, we cant forget that Manningham and Kyle Williams were both injured for that stretch run.

Kaep is tutored by Harbs to throw it to the open guy and not force things, so I think teams will pay much closer attention to him next year.

#14 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

View Postsfdevil, on 25 February 2013 - 01:33 AM, said:

PPR monster, but Id be careful in std leagues. Even tho Kaep likes to target him, we cant forget that Manningham and Kyle Williams were both injured for that stretch run.

Kaep is tutored by Harbs to throw it to the open guy and not force things, so I think teams will pay much closer attention to him next year.

this has me thinking Vernon Davis is poised for a career year ... if Crabtree starts drawing the doubles more often. Davis 1 on 1 vs any LB/S is a big advantage for SF.

Edited by rraayy3, 25 February 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#15 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I see your points but during the playoffs...when teams spend more time game planning to stop guys, Crabs was great even though there was basically no other options in passing game besides Davis.   Crabs has burned me in the past when he first came out but he really seems to be turning into the WR he was supposed to be...great hands, great in open field and very difficult to defend.   I think top 15 is his floor and his ceiling is top 5.

#16 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

You could definitely do worse at TE when taking a chance on VD this year. You'll need to pair him with another TE of course, but talent-wise he's top-3 at his position, and Kaep's accurate arm he showed that he had this early in his career was very promising. I think SF is smart enough to work very hard to get a talent like Vernon more involved next year, and I think Harbaugh will let Kaep know his TE needs to be more involved.

As far as Crabtree, his ADP is leaning towards needing to be leaned on as an every-week WR2. I'm not quite ready for that, but I like his talent and the accurate throws Kaep provides for him. This is still a run-first offense, but Kaep gives a 49er a good chance for at least decent fantasy success.

#17 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

crabtree averaged over 90 yards/1TD a game in the playoffs
davis averaged around 80 yards a game.

throughout the year it'll probably be a "pick your poison" kind of deal where they take turns going off depending on how the defense plays. if they get harvin, the offense is unfair and I will hijack the Kaepernick hype train.

#18 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

I can't argue against Crabtree ending up as a top 5 WR for the 2013 season.  His #'s with Kaep at QB back-up this argument. Calvin, BMarsh, Dez, AJ, & Demarius were your standard scoring top 5 WR for 2012 and it's very unlikely that they will all repeat as top 5 for 2013.  Expect at least 3 new guys to jump into the top 5 for 2013.  Calvin was the only holdover from 2011 to be a top 5 WR again in 2012 (#1 both years).  Actually, if you check out the turnover each year, you will see it's huge.

#19 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I think it's safe to pencil Crabtree in as a top 10 WR next season, top 5? I wouldn't bet on that one. If SFO all of a sudden became a pass first team, maybe, but I don't see that happening.
GO VIKES!!!!!!!

#20 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

the difference between the 5th and 15th WR in standard leagues was 2 points per game last year, and whether you're happy with drafting crabtree or not will pretty much depend on whether or not he scores a TD in week 14.

All I know is i'd gladly take him as my #2 WR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users