Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Spring Training General Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#1 wildo7

wildo7

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

I don't think a thread like this exists, but it'd be cool to have a thread where people can come while watching games to talk about what they're seeing and make observations or ask questions without clogging up player threads.

Anyone watching Nats/Mets? Wheeler looks really good and Harper just made a crazy juggling catch...

#2 Smallball

Smallball

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Great thread topic! Man I missed baseball.

#3 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Good to be back.
SF Giants-UGA Dawgs-Pittsburgh Steelers

#4 d_wag

d_wag

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

evan mattis with the first of many spring HR's (after a very successful winter ball stint) - he's been the talk of camp so far

#5 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,459 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Man, the Nats are stacked. Rendon and Skole will both be very good MLB hitters.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#6 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

willingham, fielder and cabrera with homeruns.

#7 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

evan mattis with the first of many spring HR's (after a very successful winter ball stint) - he's been the talk of camp so far

I don't see Mattis making any impact at the MLB level other than pinch hitting or a major injury. Already 26 years old and doesn't yet have a single AB at AAA ... meh

#8 Obscene_Domino

Obscene_Domino

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Does anyone know if David Price was hit by a line drive today? Saw something on Twitter but only one person had a vague description of what happened? Any confirmation?

Edited by Obscene_Domino, 23 February 2013 - 05:36 PM.

14 team H2H .5 PPR Auction
Fire Breathing Rubber Duckies
QB: Joe Flacco, Brian Hoyer
RB: Andre Ellington, Ben Tate, Isaiah Crowell, Bishop Sankey, Jonas Gray
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, Julian Edelman, Jarvis Landry
TE: Jace Amaro
DEF: Browns, Bengals
K: Matt Prater

#9 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I don't see Mattis making any impact at the MLB level other than pinch hitting or a major injury. Already 26 years old and doesn't yet have a single AB at AAA ... meh

There was talk prior to the Upton trade that he could win the LF job in Spring, that perhaps Prado would move to 3B. But after Upton trade, their OF seems set for a good while.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#10 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Think you guys are talking about "Gattis" not Mattis. I'm intrigued by the guy for sure, all I hear is good things. He's going to be one of those guys that needs to be swooped up if Freeman, Upton, or Heyward get hurt.

#11 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Man, the Nats are stacked. Rendon and Skole will both be very good MLB hitters.

If only they had a better catcher. I like Ramos, but they seem set to play Suzuki a good amount.
Bring back Ray!

#12 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Trayvon Robinson with a homer to win it for the O's. He was always a decent prospect that just never got a chance. I'd have my eye on him in case of an injury if he makes it. With the O's not having an everyday DH, I wouldn't be surprised to see them carry 5 OFer's and then use Reimold at DH often, meaning there is a spot for Robinson.
Bring back Ray!

#13 kslackey

kslackey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

First of all - How can you make any sort of judgement of a player who you can't identify by his correct name? :P

Second - Gattis has had a very unusual road to this point in his professional career. Personally, I see Gattis playing the back-up role this year, but he has a chance at a more permanent position in 2014.

Edited by kslackey, 23 February 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#14 d_wag

d_wag

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

apologies guys, of course i meant gattis, not mattis

as kslackey alluded to, gattis' story is very unusual. the only reason he hasn't seen AAA ball yet as a 26 year old is because he walked away from the game for 5 years after high school. his story is too winding to get in to here but if you want the details link is below.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Evan_Gattis

the guy has tremendous raw power (as his minor league numbers speak to - .546 SLG) and finally seems to have his head on right. does he need a break to see significant playing time in '13? likely, but if he gets that break don't be shocked if he really runs with it. gattis could very well break with the big club as he's a catcher by trade and mccann is likely to start the year on the DL, and he could make it difficult for them to send him down.

and before anyone writes off a guy for simply not playing AAA by the age of 26, i'd just remind them that another guy who screwed up his life pretty bad and was written off by pretty much everyone in baseball didn't crack AAA until he was 26 either - and Josh Hamilton seems to have had a pretty good career despite that fact

The Braves certainly aren't giving Gattis any special treatment. If anything, he's got to be even more impressive than those he's battling for a job, most of whom have played in the big leagues and have more gravitas with Gonzalez and the coaching staff.
"His story is nice. But that story isn't going to get him to the big leagues," the manager says. "Fifteen years from now, when he's an established major leaguer, that will be a nice book. But what's impressive about him now are his numbers."

http://www.usnews.co...ack-to-baseball

#15 th3ory

th3ory

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

First of all - How can you make any sort of judgement of a player who you can't identify by his correct name? :P

Second - Gattis has had a very unusual road to this point in his professional career. Personally, I see Gattis playing the back-up role this year, but he has a chance at a more permanent position in 2014.

So he's not a lineman for the Eagles.

#16 Djop20

Djop20

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Beltran gets yanked with a bruised foot and Oscar then hits a grand salami....signs of things to come?

#17 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Ryan Howard is hitting lasers all over the place this spring.

Hitting lefties as well
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#18 crotchcrickets

crotchcrickets

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Beltran gets yanked with a bruised foot and Oscar then hits a grand salami....signs of things to come?

Just to clarify, Taveras started in center. Beltran finished out the inning and was lifted in the 2nd for precautionary reasons so the two aren't mutually exclusive.

With that said, Taveras will either be manning CF or RF next year.

#19 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

ordered MLB Premium TV so I can watch it at work on my iphone ;) or listen if it's not playing

it's soooooooo nice to have baseball in February
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#20 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I have such a weird vibe about the Cards this year.

Craig and Yadi were $$$ for most down the stretch, but their current ADPs both scare the poop out of me
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ