498 replies to this topic

#1 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Although I often have the urge to punch Culter in the face when I see him on the sidelines during games he's one of those QBs who always seems on the verge of putting up QB1 numbers but has had obstacles in the past, some in his control, some out of his control. I'm wondering if this is the year he returns to 2008 form plus a half dozen more tds...

New Coach:

ESPN's Steve Young -- whose offensive coordinator in 1995 and 1996 was new Bears coach Marc Trestman -- believes Jay Cutler is capable of achieving "greatness" under Trestman's tutelage.
Young led the NFL in completion rate in both years under Trestman, compiling a 34:17 TD-to-INT ratio and 17-6 record with seven more touchdowns rushing. "He'll emerge as a much more disciplined quarterback," Young predicted of Cutler. "He's already good, and he'll be great. ... If you run (the offense) right they'll be shocked how much easier it is. How much more room there is to run."

Source: ESPN Chicago
Feb 1 - 4:50 PM

Brandon Marshall: 2nd year with team.

Alshon Jeffery: great talent, year 2:

Brandon Marshall plans to take 2012 second-round pick Alshon Jeffery under his wing this offseason, training with Jeffery in South Florida.
"I'm excited because this kid has the potential to be an All-Pro one year," Marshall said. "If he just changes some little things, the way he approaches the game as far as physically and mentally, he's going to be a beast. Because he has that dog in him, he has that in him, that you want in a receiver." The Bears are desperate for a complementary receiver to emerge opposite Marshall. Feb 1 - 4:55 PM

Source: ESPN Chicago

Bears wanting to upgrade at TE:

The Chicago Tribune expects the Bears to be "in line" if Jermichael Finley is released by the Packers.
Beat writer Vaughn McClure "hears" the Bears and Finley are viewed as a "great fit." The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn made the same allusion in his Monday article on Finley's future with Green Bay. The Pack would certainly prefer to keep Finley out of the NFC North if they decide to part ways, but won't have any say in where he goes if he's released instead of traded.

Related: Bears

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter
Feb 25 - 10:42 AM

Bottom line: If I wait on QB and end up with someone like Eli or Big Ben I may grab Cutler soon after to see if this is finally his year.

Edited by DocJ, 25 February 2013 - 11:31 AM.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Lamar Miller
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: CLE DST (15.06)
K: Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

Bench: Golden Tate (7.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Alex Smith

#2 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

if they add a legit threat at TE i'm in.

Their defense is too good though so I don't expect him to put up the crazy "elite" stats because he won't have to throw 50 times a game ... but I always end up with Cutler in some league every year because he seems on the verge of being a top 10 QB. With Marshall, Forte, Jeffrey, and a receiving TE ... could/should do some damage.

#3 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

There's a lot of potential for Cutler to have a big year.  Trestman was hired to improve the Bears offense, specifically the passing game.  This will be a complete shift from the Lovie Smith era of focusing mostly on the defense and running game.  The Bears must improve their O-line, pick up a legitimate TE, and probably add another WR.  Fortunately for the Bears, the FA market and draft will be really solid in all 3 of those areas.  In Silva's new Rotoworld FA article, he speculates that Welker lands in CHI, which would be great for the offense.  I see myself targeting Cutler as my QB2 in all leagues.

#4 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Good quarterback, terrible leader.

I have little faith.

I bet his teammates have less.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#5 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

With Cutler's current offensive line, I will choose to not draft him gladly. Get some blockers, and he can be more consistent to actually be a reliable fantasy option. His terrible o-line continues to hold him back, however.

#6 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

View Postcbe_88, on 25 February 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

With Cutler's current offensive line, I will choose to not draft him gladly. Get some blockers, and he can be more consistent to actually be a reliable fantasy option. His terrible o-line continues to hold him back, however.

This is probably my biggest concern as well...

Rumors abound that CHI may make a run at Welker.

Bench: Golden Tate (7.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Alex Smith

#7 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

Can't believe this dude only got sacked 11 times in 2008 on 616 (!) pass attempts.

#8 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

I fell for this last year. Not again.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(slow drafting)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Cecil Shorts III
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals/Arizona Cardinals
Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Mohammed Sanu Cole Beasley

#9 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostRyan81, on 26 February 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

New HC, OC, and overall offensive philosophy, which is completely different from last season.  There may be some growing pains in 2013 but the Bears offense should be much improved.  Your loss if you write them off based on the Lovie Smith era.

#10 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

View PostJ.T. Marlin, on 26 February 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

View PostRyan81, on 26 February 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

New HC, OC, and overall offensive philosophy, which is completely different from last season.  There may be some growing pains in 2013 but the Bears offense should be much improved.  Your loss if you write them off based on the Lovie Smith era.

Exactly. If they upgrade with another receiving target and some positive changes on the OL I think it's worth the risk this year vs. seasons past.

Another point on CHI defense, those guys are getting old, still a good unit last season but the chances of getting into shootouts with DET and GB are always high IMO...possibly even MIN if AP runs all over them which he did in 2012.

#11 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Well it doesn't help my stance on the situation seeing that I drafted Cutler as my one and only QB(lol).

This was one of those, "Do as I say, not as I do" moments.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(slow drafting)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Cecil Shorts III
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals/Arizona Cardinals
Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Mohammed Sanu Cole Beasley

#12 kenbowdenesq

kenbowdenesq

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Bears GM Phil Emery described Jay Cutler as "fully dialed in" during Chicago's offseason program.
"No one worked harder during the strength and conditioning aspect of our offseason," said Emery, who also noticed changes in Cutler's leadership. "I see him involve himself more with all of our players — our younger players, taking players to the side. ... So I see a guy that’s very committed to improving his individual skills and to interact with the players on the team and to provide leadership." Cutler is a sneaky upside QB2 in his contract year.

At one point I was buying this Marc Trestman QB guru hype but then I took a look at his last 7 seasons as an NFL coach.

True, there were some spectacular years as OC under Gruden for the Raiders between 01-02 but there's alot more bad than good.

Plummer threw obscene amounts of interceptions between 98-00 with Trestman as OC; the ratio was like 18td's to 22 picks. The same issues were prevalent when the wheels came off the Raiders bus in 03 and his lone year in Miami in 2004. True, he was working with such luminaries such as AJ Feeley and Marcus Tuiasosopo but Gannon had a 6:4 td/int ratio through 7 games in 03.

There's a pretty steady history of more picks than TDs under Trestman's resume and when you consider how INT prone Cutler already is (blame Martz all you want, he still threw 26 INT's in 09), and it seems like a recipe for disaster.

Perusing Trestman's history did teach me something else; Forte is going to be a PPR beast this year.
12 Team H2H Main League
PPR Scoring Start: 1 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 K, 1 DEF (Only 5 Bench Spots)

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Josh Gordon, Pierre Garcon
RB: Andre Brown, Knowshon Moreno
TE: Vernon Davis
K: Matt Praeter
DEF: Packers
Flex: Shane Vereen

Bench: Ray Rice, Darren Sproles, Riley Cooper, Percy Harvin

Poor one for my homie: Randall Cobb

#13 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'm always on the Cutler bandwagon and he always burns me. The oline is just too bad. I'd rather have Ryan Tannenhill or Alex Smith but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if Jay Cutler finished in the top 10 qb's this season. Alshon Jefferey is in his 2nd year, they have a TE and the contract status helps. The oline is still terrible though and I believe he's a pretty large injury risk
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#14 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostJ.T. Marlin, on 26 February 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

...and this is why you don't draft Cutler. He isn't a smart QB, never has been. Unless Trestman is the kind of guy that would have him run a really simplified offense, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. He also can't string a bunch of passes together without throwing a pick, so i'm not sure how an uptick in attempts would actually help his fantasy value. The additional TDs would almost get cancelled out by the increased number of picks. Chicago's OL wasn't the best, but many of Cutler's picks are just poor [and avoidable] decisions.

Another scary thing about Cutler is his over-reliance on Marshall. He can't throw to anyone else. If Marshall goes down, Cutler is worthless. Something worth thinking about
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#15 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostPPolanco, on 25 July 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

I'm always on the Cutler bandwagon and he always burns me. The oline is just too bad. I'd rather have Ryan Tannenhill or Alex Smith but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if Jay Cutler finished in the top 10 qb's this season. Alshon Jefferey is in his 2nd year, they have a TE and the contract status helps. The oline is still terrible though and I believe he's a pretty large injury risk

CHI has 3 new o-lineman for the 2013 season, including a new LT that was a 2012 pro-bowler (Bushrod), a rookie 1st rd pick at G (KLong), and another really solid pass protector at the other G spot ( MSlauson).  Call me crazy but I think this group is going to be a major improvement over last season. What's your reasoning for why they are going to be horrible or are you just generically basing this on last years very different group?

#16 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostJ.T. Marlin, on 25 July 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

CHI has 3 new o-lineman for the 2013 season, including a new LT that was a 2012 pro-bowler (Bushrod), a rookie 1st rd pick at G (KLong), and another really solid pass protector at the other G spot ( MSlauson).  Call me crazy but I think this group is going to be a major improvement over last season. What's your reasoning for why they are going to be horrible or are you just generically basing this on last years very different group?

they've certainly improved but they're young and have yet to play together. Takes time for a line to gel

#17 Skoodog

Skoodog

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,605 posts
  • Interests:Driving Porsches with Paul Walker

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostJ.T. Marlin, on 25 July 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

Bushrod is actually not significantly better than J'Marcus Webb, which is pretty poor.  Carimi was supposed to be a Pro Bowl talent as well and so far he's not cut the mustard.  The Bears drew some flack for drafting Long when they did so hopefully he pans out, but I see a huge risk - he will essentially be a good litmus test on whether Emery and the scouts can identify good offensive line talent.  As a fan, I want you to be right but I'm optimistically cautious.

The key acquisition this year was Marcellus Bennett.  Kellen Davis was a swinging door in block formations and couldn't catch a cold.  Getting Cutler to trust and develop Jeffery will be the next hurdle for this team.  If they don't, Marshall is going to get killed out there.
Legend has it...they don't check on the weekends...

#18 sfdevil

sfdevil

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

yea bushrod is overrated imo. but the line problems while bad dont really mean much until cutler becomes smart. which might be never.

#19 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

bushrod in a walking boot

even losing him just for preseason is brutal. He needs all the reps to get familiar with his teammates and the system

#20 gbill2004

gbill2004

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

Anyone think Cutler can be a FF QB1 this season?
Competitive start 2 QB, 0.5 PPR, 12 team H2H deep re-draft league, all TDs = 6 pts. Roster below (starting spots in brackets):

QB (2) - Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick, Brian Hoyer, Chad Henne, Geno Smith
RB/FLEX (2) - DeMarco Murray, Doug Martin, Ray Rice, Steven Jackson, Jeremy Miller, Carlos Hyde, Terrance West
WR (4) - Calvin Johnson, Michael Crabtree, Rueben Randle, Josh Gordon, Marcus Wheaton, Kenny Britt, Marquise Lee, Brian Quick
TE (2) - Rob Gronkowski, Heath Miller, Jared Cook
K (2) - Shayne Graham, Josh Scobee
DEF (2) - Cleveland, New Orleans
IDP (4) - Lavonte David, Jared Mayo, Alec Ogletree, Mychal Kendricks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users