Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Frank Gore 2013 Season Outlookgoing on 30 but still a beast?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Don't get me wrong I love his tough and physical game, and he really proved doubters wrong last year.

However, he's looking like he won't escape the 2nd round next year? For a guy going on 30, that has a running QB liable to vulture rush TD's himself any given play, it makes me hesitant. And he's the lead back but make no mistake, he shares the load with Hunter and now with his running QB.

He's one of the safer locks for decent to good production week-in week-out behind a very solid o-line in an efficient offense, but Kaep worries me. I think SF has learned how to use him with out overusing him the point of injury which is actually good, but his TD-upside is takes a few down-ticks for sure which makes me very hesitant to try and land this guy early.

#2 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

if gore is available at my pick in the 2nd round

i'm taking jimmy graham or a stud WR.

#3 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'm still amazed that he managed to play a full season. The guy had a lengthy injury history. Good value in the 3rd, not worth it in the 2nd.

And if you draft him, you better damn well get Kendall Hunter.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#4 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

it's not good when an "injury prone" RB plays in an offense with a running QB and his backups are a smurf named lamichael and a guy coming off an achilles injury.

i like gore, but no thanks at that price.

Edited by rraayy3, 27 February 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#5 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

I also like Gore but for his price tag, he just comes with too much baggage. Hunter, Kaepernick, and James all taking touches away from him. Plus he used to be a plagued by leg injuries.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

#6 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

2nd round is a little rich for me but overall imo Gore still has a decent amount left in the tank. With the running game of Kaep so great he's going to have a really nigh ypc on his touches this season again, 4.8 last year and I don't see that going down. This makes a lighter workload not matter, would only need 200-220 carries to rush for 1,000 yards and he's the GL back. My only concern is the decreased use in the passing game, only 25 catches last year.

As far as injury history goes he hasn't missed much in the last 6 seasons with the exception of 2010 when he missed 5 games.

I would take him anywhere in the 3rd for sure.
GO VIKES!!!!!!!

#7 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I think it's more likely that Gore will go outside the 2nd rd in 2013, making him a bargain, once again.  There are 10 for sure RB that will go before him in my opinion (AP, Foster, McCoy, Lynch, Rice, Charles, Martin, TRich, AMorris & Spiller).  If SJax goes to ATL, GB or PIT 11 - make that 11.  Then you have the tier with MJD, Ridley, Forte, DMurray, CJohnson.  Then there will be guys who will be majorly hyped - rookie ELacy, DWilson, LeShoure, JStewart (if DeAngelo is indeed a post 6/1 cap casualty) & Run DMC (again...)  Gore will most likely be picked before many of these 2nd & 3rd tier RB but let's just say about 5 of them go before him.  That's 16 RB alone being selected before Gore.  At least 4 QB (Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Cam), 6 WR (Calvin, BMarsh, AJ, Julio, Dez, Demaryius) and probably 2 TE (Gronk & Graham) will get taken before him too.

These #'s peg Gore at pick 28, which is early rd 3 in a 12 team league.  I actually think he will end up going later than that.  Unless SF drafts or signs another solid RB, Gore should have another really good fantasy season in 2013 and can probably be had at a very reasonable price.

#8 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

View Postrraayy3, on 27 February 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

if gore is available at my pick in the 2nd round

i'm taking jimmy graham or a stud WR.

A man who knows what he is doing. Gore Is a sucker pick for next season.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#9 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

I like LaMichael James as a flier ... i think they'll find a lot of ways to get him more involved. He's got a unique skill set for that offense and they didn't draft him in the 2nd round for nothing.

#10 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

I really don't like any of the RBs from San Fran. There are way to many mouths to feed. They aren't going to let Gore pound it in 25 times a game so Hunter is going to get his fair share of 5-10 a game. LaMichael James will be a factor. Then there is Kaepernick.

Last year Gore was a steal. This year, he's going to be to high imo.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

#11 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostRyan81, on 03 March 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

I really don't like any of the RBs from San Fran. There are way to many mouths to feed. They aren't going to let Gore pound it in 25 times a game so Hunter is going to get his fair share of 5-10 a game. LaMichael James will be a factor. Then there is Kaepernick.

Last year Gore was a steal. This year, he's going to be to high imo.

You share the belief of many others and that will actually deflate the value of Gore come draft time next season.  Hunter's coming off a late season achilles tear, Jacobs was cut, James is viewed more as a part-time RB - unless SF drafts or signs a somewhat substantial RB, I'm actually liking Gore for the first time in years.  I think he's got at least 1 more really good season left.

#12 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

If he's going where I just got him in a mock . . . 3.9 in a 14 teamer . . . then I think I like him too . . . for the first time in years as well.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#13 sfdevil

sfdevil

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

I share peoples concerns about Gore but its for different reasons. I'm not worried about Gore not having enough carries while hes healthy. He'll get his.

It's that risk of him being old and injury-prone that should scare you in fantasy.

View Postrraayy3, on 03 March 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

I like LaMichael James as a flier ... i think they'll find a lot of ways to get him more involved. He's got a unique skill set for that offense and they didn't draft him in the 2nd round for nothing.
terrible argument imo. I like LMJ but he wasnt even going to be active last year if it wasnt for hunter's injury. aj jenkins was drafted in the first round and wasnt active until WR injuries and still didnt do crap. taylor mays drafted in the second and let go in a year (tbf, different regime, yadda yadda) but you get the point. just because Niners draft someone early doesnt mean they'll do anything or even get their chance before an injury.

#14 jtaylor39

jtaylor39

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

My favorite nfl player is Frank Gore, a tough sob.  A throwback.  I'm still a believer.
NABL 12 team ppr $$ League
2011 Champion
2012 3rd Place
2013 2nd Place

FFAH League
2009, 2010, 2011 Champion

I cash checks.

#15 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

View Postsfdevil, on 07 June 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

I share peoples concerns about Gore but its for different reasons. I'm not worried about Gore not having enough carries while hes healthy. He'll get his.

It's that risk of him being old and injury-prone that should scare you in fantasy.

terrible argument imo. I like LMJ but he wasnt even going to be active last year if it wasnt for hunter's injury. aj jenkins was drafted in the first round and wasnt active until WR injuries and still didnt do crap. taylor mays drafted in the second and let go in a year (tbf, different regime, yadda yadda) but you get the point. just because Niners draft someone early doesnt mean they'll do anything or even get their chance before an injury.

So I shouldnt expect anything from James in his second year because Mays was a bust safety and Jenkins didnt do much his rookie year. Jacobs is gone, Gore's handcuff is coming off a serious injury, and yes they did draft him for a reason. oh and gore is "injury prone".

But my argument is terrible.

Edited by rraayy3, 08 June 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#16 DemApples

DemApples

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

I really dont see LMJ on any other duties then PR/KR and some outside sweeps/screens. Kendall Hunter is a much more efficient outside runner that can also pierce through the inside.

As for Gore, people have doubted him time and time again about his age/tread (myself included) and he proves everyone wrong every season. He went off once Kaep took over the team and became a stud during their playoff run.

With the Crabtree injury it definitely benefits Gore and the running game (despite already being a run-heavy team especially in the endzone).
NFL 12-team PPR 2012 Fantasy Football Champion

QB Aaron Rodgers
RB1 Jamaal Charles
RB2 Doug Martin
WR1 Brandon Marshall
WR2 Vincent Jackson
TE Aaron Hernandez
FLEX Danny Amendola
K Greg the Leg

#17 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Wow. I think that this argument is much more questionable than the one you're referring to. The circumstances surrounding Jenkins and Mays couldn't be less relevant here. You're almost painting it as a negative that a player is drafted in an early round.

Anyway, I'm torn on how to value Gore. The 2,226 career touches give me pause, but he has played in 32 games the last two seasons and I'm not 100% sold on his competition. Hunter is coming off an Achilles injury, which is't always a smooth transition, and although I like James a lot, backs of his ilk are rarely given many touches.

I've been down on Gore the last couple seasons due to his age and past durabilty issues. He's shown that he can still get the job done, though.

Either way, we're talking about a guy who has totaled 1,000+ total yards seven times and has over 60 TDs in his career. I'd consider grabbing him in the 3rd if he's there, especially if I don't have 2 RBs yet.

Edited by SenatorSpaceman, 08 June 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#18 sfdevil

sfdevil

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 08 June 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Wow. I think that this argument is much more questionable than the one you're referring to. The circumstances surrounding Jenkins and Mays couldn't be less relevant here. You're almost painting it as a negative that a player is drafted in an early round.
oh ok, the argument that Niners will play the best player at the moment and have had their first two rounders INACTIVE all year until injuries, INCLUDING LMJ...

is worse than saying LMJ must be good because he was drafted in the second round ? :lol:

for the Niners current coaching staff the round a player was drafted in is absolutely irrelevant.

#19 scheibler

scheibler

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

Any new thoughts on Gore? He has the best line in football, but plays in a tough division with seattle/stl. How would you rank him with ridley/mjd/bush/cj2k/murray? Ladt year there was so much talk of hunter eventually stealing the starting job, but that never happened

#20 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

Never happened but I'm still afraid of it happening this year.  Hunter, James, Lattimore?  Gore is getting old, maybe Kaep vultures TD's.  I don't know.  I keep avoiding him, he keeps proving me wrong.  But this year it's way too easy to find guys I like far more in the same round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users