67 replies to this topic

#1 CrypTviLL

CrypTviLL

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Can someone give me the inside scope on this team?

So they sign Felix long term, what other SP's do they have that are fantasy relevant?

Their offense gets a major overhaul - Kendrys Morales, Michael Morse - not bad for the Mariners.

Another year for Jesus Montero, Ackley, Saeger.

Decent lineup? Or am I dreaming?
[ Ƥəɨɳ ]
QB Aaron Rodgers
WR Brandon Marshall
WR A.J. Green
WR Dez Bryant
RB Matt Forte
RB Jamaal Charles
TE Rob Gronkowski
K Matt Prater
DEF Streaming
Bench: Cecil Shorts III, Steven Ridley, Harry Douglas, Le'Veon Bell, Zac Stacy, Danny Amendola

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

The Mariners could definitely surprise some people. Saunders should be relevant in that big park. I also am very high on Erasmo Ramirez and Hisashi Iwakuma's potential to break out. They have a stacked farm system though, and if the hitting comes around with the additions of Morse and Morales, then they could push for a wild card.

They have some really nice prospects though that are on their way up. Danny Hultzen, Taijun Walker, Nick Franklin, Carter Capps, and Mike Zunino aren't too far away.

Next year, they could have a dominant rotation of Felix, Hultzen, Walker, Franklin, and Ramirez/Iwakuma.
Bring back Ray!

#3 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Plenty to like from a fantasy perspective about this squad this year.  Iwakuma offers SP #3 upside and Wilhelmsen appears to be a legit low end #1 closer.  

While I think the lineup will be better, I think alot of the team's success really falls on Ackley's shoulders.  Not sure if he was trying to do too much or what last season, but he was just dreadful as a table-setter.

Feel free to mock away, but I even think that Jason Bay will be fantasy relevant at some point in 2013.
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#4 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postmalta69, on 27 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Feel free to mock away, but I even think that Jason Bay will be fantasy relevant at some point in 2013.

Troll post of the year.  Well played sir, well played.
20 team keeper H2H (took over the team), standard Yahoo.  Keepers below.  NA's get put into NA slots (5 max)
C:  d'Arnaud 1B: Lind 2B: Miller SS: Forsythe 3B: Manny Machado OF: Stanton OF: Springer OF: Harper
Util: Salty Bench: Willingham, Suarez, Pena DL: Owings, Myers NA: Solarte Baez (NA)
SP: Strasburg SP: Price RP: Motte RP: Broxton P: Stroman, Storen, Tazawa, Petricka, Santiago, Kendrick DL:Pineda NA:Meyer
Trades: 1) Taijuan Walker and 5th rounder for Ryu and 4th rounder 2) Heyward, Hosmer, Bailey for Ellsbury 3) Abreu for Harper and Lind 6) Soria, Shelby Miller and round 6 pick for Strasburg and 7th rounder 7)  Ellsbury and 3rd rounder for Springer and 1st rounder 8) Francisco, Allen, 7th rounder for 5th rounder 9) Rosenthal and Ryu for Price

Money league Roto
C- Carlos Sant 1B) Abreu 2b) Altuve 3b) E5 SS) Rollins OF- McCutch, Jones, Harper Util- Gardner, Cron Bench: NA: Bryant SPs:  Strasburg, Verlander, Ventura, Hudson, Samardzija, Duffy, Cain, Lester, Walker, Stroman RPs:  Reed Doolittle Papelbon Trades: 1) Joey Bats and Panda for E5 and Werth 2) Morse for RA Dickey 3) Soria for Garza 4) Braun and Mesoraco for McCutch and McCann 5) Werth for Homer Bailey and Gardner 6) Cain for Kemp 7) Hill for Samardzija 8)  Melky, Hosmer, Sale for Strasberg and JUp 9) Garza and Miller for Verlander 10) Balfour for LaRoche 11) Bourn for Soriano 12) Kemp for Lester and Cain 13) JUp, LaRoche, Chisenballs for Adam Jones

#5 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostSuikoden, on 27 February 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

View Postmalta69, on 27 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Troll post of the year.  Well played sir, well played.

haaaah sadly I'm serious.  I have nothing concrete to base this on, but he just strikes me as the kind of "afterthought" type of guy who could resuscitate his career in obscurity after the NY debacle.

He's FAR from a guarantee to get regular ABs and from what I understand his contract isn't even guaranteed, but it honestly wouldn't suprise me to see him produce the occasional early season statline that makes you go "huh"
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#6 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

He reminds me of Hafner; what, 5 great seasons (Hafner 4) and then nothing, gone.  Ok, maybe Bay had 6 or so...still..  09 was his last good year...frig...2013 now....and he's 35 this year.

The home run Bay hit in his first spring at bat won't convince me.
20 team keeper H2H (took over the team), standard Yahoo.  Keepers below.  NA's get put into NA slots (5 max)
C:  d'Arnaud 1B: Lind 2B: Miller SS: Forsythe 3B: Manny Machado OF: Stanton OF: Springer OF: Harper
Util: Salty Bench: Willingham, Suarez, Pena DL: Owings, Myers NA: Solarte Baez (NA)
SP: Strasburg SP: Price RP: Motte RP: Broxton P: Stroman, Storen, Tazawa, Petricka, Santiago, Kendrick DL:Pineda NA:Meyer
Trades: 1) Taijuan Walker and 5th rounder for Ryu and 4th rounder 2) Heyward, Hosmer, Bailey for Ellsbury 3) Abreu for Harper and Lind 6) Soria, Shelby Miller and round 6 pick for Strasburg and 7th rounder 7)  Ellsbury and 3rd rounder for Springer and 1st rounder 8) Francisco, Allen, 7th rounder for 5th rounder 9) Rosenthal and Ryu for Price

Money league Roto
C- Carlos Sant 1B) Abreu 2b) Altuve 3b) E5 SS) Rollins OF- McCutch, Jones, Harper Util- Gardner, Cron Bench: NA: Bryant SPs:  Strasburg, Verlander, Ventura, Hudson, Samardzija, Duffy, Cain, Lester, Walker, Stroman RPs:  Reed Doolittle Papelbon Trades: 1) Joey Bats and Panda for E5 and Werth 2) Morse for RA Dickey 3) Soria for Garza 4) Braun and Mesoraco for McCutch and McCann 5) Werth for Homer Bailey and Gardner 6) Cain for Kemp 7) Hill for Samardzija 8)  Melky, Hosmer, Sale for Strasberg and JUp 9) Garza and Miller for Verlander 10) Balfour for LaRoche 11) Bourn for Soriano 12) Kemp for Lester and Cain 13) JUp, LaRoche, Chisenballs for Adam Jones

#7 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Franklin is a SS and will not be in the rotation.  If you want to win, I'm not sure why you would look towards Seattle for  your fantasy team.  Seattle couldl be surprisingly good, if you believ in make or break years for Smoak (hot spring training), Ackley and improvement from Montero with Morse and Morales on top of moved in walls.  Their pitching is in trouble until they can call up Walker , Hultzen. They won 75 with out a legit offense, but remember that coudl be alucky 75, especially if you keep in mind their 13 game win streak in August. They got 6-7 now they would of won 68 games.

Batting:
Smoak - End of the draft flier that could finally pay off with 30 homers.  His ST has been hot.
Ackley - Has to prove it this year, and has the pedigree - but I wouldn't have him on my team.
Montero - Can't take a walk and doesn't have a true position.  If Zunino takes the catching job mid season, and Morales isn't traded he's going to have some awkard playing time.  He hasn't shown ability to handle 1st and not getting ST reps.
Morse - he'll get hurt
Morales - Should play ok and get traded mis season.

Pitching -
Felix - if you draft a SP that high, you want someone that is guaranteed to get more wins, didn't have elbow concerns during his phsyical for his contract, finished the the year weak , and started with a huge velocity drop.  If you get value - yeah 3rd best SP in baseball.
Iwakuma - good second half, still throwing 5mph less then when he was good overseas.  Could be a value SP on the M's (I wouddn't touch therest - Ramirez, Beaven, Saunders, Noesi) They don't offer you releastic upside.
Wilhemsen - he'll be traded mid way to be a set up man on another team.  Pryor and Capps(beast righthere) will be the future closers in their carreer - no point in drafting either.

Prospects:
Franklin (SS) - Ryan's replacement and has a good bat, but  ryan is going to have to continue to bat .200
Walker ( SP) - mid season call up
Hultzen (SP) mid season call up
Paxson - still has some control issues
Maurer -   if you're looking at Maurer as a prospect you failed.
Zunino - crazy hype, remember how he struggled last year in college and hit.270 and all the best SP's in his division were on his team?  He projected as a .270 15-18 home run catcher with great defense anda good baseball mind.. his hype train is getting  crazy and I'm rooting for him, but damn - nut sure he's the next Posey

- Best Regards,

Frustrated Mariner fan.

(keeper - I'd take Walker, if  Dynasty throw in Zunino) if a regular draft a late roudn flier on Smoak or Ackely won't kill you.  Ackley is hitting lead off with no  true sb capability and is known to go 1-4 and a Ko as often as the sun rises.

Edited by myzto, 27 February 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#8 CM52

CM52

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Postmyzto, on 27 February 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Batting:
Smoak - End of the draft flier that could finally pay off with 30 homers.  His ST has been hot.

Smoak sucks.  Spring training means nothing.

Montero - Can't take a walk and doesn't have a true position.  If Zunino takes the catching job mid season, and Morales isn't traded he's going to have some awkard playing time.  He hasn't shown ability to handle 1st and not getting ST reps.

Montero will not lose at bats to Smoak or Morales.  No chance.  He's too young with too much upside for a rebuilding team not to let him hit every day.

Wilhemsen - he'll be traded mid way to be a set up man on another team.  Pryor and Capps(beast righthere) will be the future closers in their carreer - no point in drafting either.

Wilhelmsen isn't young, but his arm is fresher than his age and he has plenty of team control left.  No reason for them to trade him.  If they have 3 great relievers, there's still plenty of innings to go around and they'll build their pen around them for the next few years.  It may make Wilhelmsen's leash in the 9th shorter, but for 2013 I think he'll be fine for the year.

Walker ( SP) - mid season call up

No way does he see anything more than a September call up, if that.  They have plenty of pitching ahead of him in the majors and minors, and no need to start his clock.

Zunino - crazy hype, remember how he struggled last year in college and hit.270 and all the best SP's in his division were on his team?  He projected as a .270 15-18 home run catcher with great defense anda good baseball mind.. his hype train is getting  crazy and I'm rooting for him, but damn - nut sure he's the next Posey

No one is calling him the next Posey.  He's getting tons of hype in the real world because he's a good defender at a premium position with a solid bat.  If someone overpays for him because he's high on BA and other non-fantasy prospect lists, then sure don't target him in any format.  But that speaks more to the quality of the league you play in if that ends up happening than anything.

Edited by CM52, 27 February 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#9 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Here's a few things fellow M's fans....

1) Minor league assignments were announced - I was a little surprised to see Walker going back to Jackson, Ruffin is also down there converting into a SP. All the other usual suspects are in T-Town. Ramirez starting the year on DL, maybe that is part of the reason Beaven won the 5th starter spot.

http://gregjohns.mlb...s/#comment-4870

2) Very happy with Felix and Iwakuma's outings - Felix had it all working, was sitting at 91-92 most of the game, unlike 88-89 where he started last season when concerns were flying around. I think Iwakuma has an excellent chance to have a great year - 89-91, great command, keeps the ball on the ground, nasty split. I'm also happy to see Maurer in the rotation, but Saunders and Beaven do absolutely nothing for me. I really hope a Ramirez, Hultzen, Paxton, or Walker emerges - there's no way they could be worse than Blake Beaven. Saunders has looked horrid as well.

3) Impressed with Justin Smoaks ABs thus far - results haven't been mind blowing, but holy cow - he at least seems like he has a plan, and has cut down his 4 day swing. Love seeing some walks. He's slimmed down, looks good. Big year for him and Ackley - don't like saying make or break - but it's pretty damn close.

4) Nice seeing Mike Morse do what he was brought to town for, hopefully he has a '11 type season.

5) I find they're bullpen to be pretty intriguing - Wilhelmsen hasn't found his groove yet based on what I saw in spring and 1st appearance, Capps and Pryor are both exciting young arms. Furbush/Perez as LHP.

6) Hope to see continued development of Seager and Saunders.

7) 2-0!!!

#10 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

I wrote this up yesterday in the Jesus Montero thread - I thought it would be a applicable addition to Mariners thread in general due to dealing with variety of players included. I gotta take Maurer out of the late season rotation though - he clearly has a lot of work to put in to find consistency with his stuff and his command.

The Mariners are in an incredibly tough spot with Jesus Montero, Dustin Ackley, and Justin Smoak - Ackley and Smoak are definitely in sink or swim years, and Montero probably has one more after this. Scouts labeled each of these guys at some point The Next Miguel Cabrera, The Next Chase Utley, and The Next Mark Teixeira. As Cmilne noted - the M's develop hitting like the Pirates/Orioles develop pitching.

Here's what I see instead, this' a Montero thread so I'll mainly focus on that after some Ackley/Smoak hits -

The Next Chase Utley - Going #2 overall(of course the M's had to F up and win to avoid getting Strasburg) Ackley was once a guy that looked as safe as they come in regards to being a MLB regular with limited upside. He was a guy that had a knack for barreling up the ball with a short simple short, 2B power to all fields, could run, work the count, and be usable at 2B or OF. While his speed is usable on the base paths, and he's developed into a better 2B than originally thought, from a hitting perspective I see a guy with horrible mechanics - has way to much going on prior to pitch to load point, too much going on with his feet, and severely bailing out on each pitch. Whoever screwed him up needs to be held accountable, along with the fact I think Ackley is all up in his own head - look at him hitting in college, completely different. You'll see Ackley get a trip really quick down to Tacoma - he'll either be fixed, or a career UTL guy. I'm leaning towards UTL guy.

The Next Mark Teixeira was pretty much guaranteed to be the slugger Seattle needed when deciding to ship Cliff Lee to the Rangers. Instead he has completely sucked from an offensive perspective with exception of a few hot months, while playing good defense - so from '10 through '12 he's shown he has refused to make changes to his approach, or shorten his windmill of a swing, all while complaining about the fences at Safeco like he's some relevant power hitter. What has actually impressed me - this' the first season I've seen him change his approach, shorten his swing, and look to go the other way left handed. Result haven't been there - but it's at least a step. He will have this year to figure it out - but he better start hitting cause if Zunino is called up a bigger log jam is created.

The Next Miguel Cabrera the prized slugging prospect from the Yankees in exchange for Pineda/Campos. He is a horrible baseball player, as bad as he's been in the fantasy world - he sucks way worse in real life. He's worse than an intramural collegiate athlete in terms of being an athlete generally speaking(that isn't a exaggeration by any means). Best case scenario is the hope someday he will figure out how to hit MLB pitching - who knows to what upside that will come with. But here's what I KNOW. He can't play defense of any sort at any position - it isn't gonna happen. He can't throw. He sure a hell can't run or do anything remotely quick - he's in conversation of being like all time MLB worst here. He doesn't get on base. As a catcher he has zero leadership skills and game control. So what you got is a DH in his early-mid 20's - which is a joke all by itself. If you are gonna be a DH at that age you better ABSOLUTELY RAKE Billy Butler style - Montero is no where near that talent level in my opinion, and isn't even close to his own talent level at this time. I hope they send him elsewhere - having a young guy hoard up your DH spot when he hasn't even remotely shown the ability to be a offensive threat isn't worth it - guy can barely move and has ZERO position.

Those that think Mike Zunino will not be up this season ARE CRAZY - he'd either have to get hurt, or hit a unforeseen bump in the road. Unlike Montero he's a very good athlete, and while he's a very offensively skilled catcher I have no clue what a previous poster was saying about his defense not being close. He already grades out as an average defensive catcher(50), with an average to above average throwing arm(55). Based on Zunino's past and scouting reports pitchers love to throw to him, he's a field general, and would quickly become a clubhouse leader. He's as much of a make-up guy as you will find. Have you seen Montero catch? You'll never see more shake offs, mound visits in your life. The only Seattle pitcher to publicly get on him was Kevin Millwood - but believe me the frustration is all around. He can't throw anyone out, doesn't block crap, and really lacks confidence. Mike Zunino would be an instant upgrade over Montero RIGHT NOW. I have no doubt in that statement.

Even with Zunino getting a June call, I expect to see Kendrys Morales get traded to a contender(which bums me out, but it's probably the right move) at some point. So Montero will probably fall into his long term DH role with Zunino catching and Smoak at first. I really hope the M's move Montero - I just don't see it, but to move him they would admit being wrong and the M's don't do that which is another conversation all together.

That being said - here's my post trade deadline M's rotation which I find exciting - given that Saundners is dealt, and if Beaven is still getting trotted out I quit. 1) Felix 2) Iwakuma 3) Hultzen 4) Ramirez 5) Maurer. I doubt Walker gets the call this year, I hate saying it but he has a lot to work on.

#11 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

In addition I heard some interesting comments in regards to Smoak, Ackley, Maurer and Montero on local radio, 710 ESPN - from Bob and Groz and Keith Law. Some comments were from another player development scout - I didn't catch his name.  

Law stated in talking to scouts in late spring regarding Smoak - they said he isn't close to the same guy as two years ago. Scouts said his bat speed isn't even close to what it was at one time, and at 26 years old - it's very unlikely he'll ever develop.

In regards to Ackley - Law said scouts didn't have one positive thing to say about Dustin Ackley from an offensive perspective. DAMN!!! The hope is he becomes a middling average guy, with no power. They also stated Law said, as I mentioned, he looks nothing like he did from a mechanical standpoint when he had success.

What I got out of the Montero comments - scouts are also commenting on how much his approach/bat speed/hitting prowess hasn't developed. Basically saying - "He looks horrible" at the one thing is was suppose to be good at. But the feeling is he's too young to give up on.

All they said about Maurer is he'll probably up the rest of this month, that's per organization - unless of course another absolute blowup following last nights yard sale.

Segment ended with discussion of how completely horrible the Mariners hitting development has been with top young prospects, and how guys that were traded seems to quickly emerge once they left(Adam Jones, Shin Soo Choo, Mike Morse, etc).

#12 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostFearTheBeard, on 10 April 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Segment ended with discussion of how completely horrible the Mariners hitting development has been with top young prospects, and how guys that were traded seems to quickly emerge once they left(Adam Jones, Shin Soo Choo, Mike Morse, etc).

Yep. If the M's want Ackley, Smoak, and Montero to succeed, all they have to do is trade them away to an organization that actually knows what the heck they're doing. The M's have screwed up every hitting prospect I can think of in the last decade or so, and it's going to take an organizational house cleaning to fix it, in my opinion.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#13 uwguy98

uwguy98

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

The Blue Jays just claimed Casper Wells off of waivers.  I fully expect him to him to hit .300 now and become the next Adam Jones.

#14 Mexi1024

Mexi1024

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,916 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

View Postuwguy98, on 10 April 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

The Blue Jays just claimed Casper Wells off of waivers.  I fully expect him to him to hit .300 now and become the next Adam Jones.

He's 28 years old. A career .246 hitter with crap BB rates and no SB potential like Jones. You will be wrong.

#15 uwguy98

uwguy98

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'll be wrong, but not because of those reasons.  He came up with Detroit; therefore, their hitting program messed him up and not the Mariners.

#16 kobe24

kobe24

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

In the process of trading for harang.  This teams future rotation looks very bright with a core of beaven/maurer/bonderman/harang

#17 Sean-O

Sean-O

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Harang will be an ok #4. They should have just kept Garland & wouldn't have had to trade a player.
CBS H2H - 12 Team League (*1 game eligibility)

C (1) - Montero
1B (1) - Encarnacion
2B (1) - D. Gordon
SS (1) - Hardy
3B (1) - Beltre
OF (3) - Gomez, Pence, Brantley
U (2) - Me. Cabrera, Duda, Ackley

P (7 total - combined)
SP - Scherzer, Lester, Liriano, Cole, Ryu, Kuroda, Colon, Buehrle, Masterson, Elias, M. Gonzalez, McHugh, C. Anderson, Hendricks, Cahill
RP - Kimbrel

Scoring (batting = 1 pt single, 2 pts double, 3 pts triple, 4 pts homer, 1 pt BB, 1 pt run, 1 pt HBP, 1 pt RBI, 2 pts SB)
Scoring (pitching = 10 pts win, 10 pts save, 1 pt K, 2 pts IP, 5 pts CG, -.5 BB, -.5 hits allowed, -1 ER, -5 BS, -.5 HB)

#18 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostSean-O, on 11 April 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Harang will be an ok #4. They should have just kept Garland & wouldn't have had to trade a player.

Is it 2007?

#19 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

View Postkobe24, on 11 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

In the process of trading for harang.  This teams future rotation looks very bright with a core of beaven/maurer/bonderman/harang
\

A bunch of upside arms and savy vets. I like it. Beaven and Maurer will really reap the benefits of learning from these vets.
No Days Off

#20 kobe24

kobe24

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postklove42, on 11 April 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

View Postkobe24, on 11 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

\

A bunch of upside arms and savy vets. I like it. Beaven and Maurer will really reap the benefits of learning from these vets.

Yeah I don't understand all the Felix/hultzen/walker hype

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users