Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

A.J. Ramos 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

After being called up last year, A.J. Ramos became the first pitcher in Marlins history to strike out the side in his debut. He is 26 years old which is a bit on the older side to make his major league debut, especially for a relief pitcher, but has only been in the minors since 2009 all within the Marlins organization. His k/9 carried through into the majors and I believe should right around 12.5 and his bb/9 looks to hover around 3 maybe 3.25. Despite his age and with the lack of good bullpen depth on the Marlins roster I think he looks to find himself in a major role as a setup man and perhaps even unseat Cishek as the closer or fill in if injuries strike. The only thing in his stats that I see as an aberration was his hr/9 in the 9.1 innings he did pitch in the minors at (he allowed two) which should come down close to his minor league rate was well near .3. I know I am going deep here in the roster pool, but he is someone I could recommend to keep an eye out for cheap saves. Anyone see this guy live by chance to provide any additional feedback?

#2 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

He's been on my radar for a while, and is a possible candidate should Cishek implode.

Ramos is small (5'10') and a max effort guy, which causes some alarm for arm issues. He did blow out his arm when he was at Texas Tech. Strikeout rate has been remarkable in the minors (career 12.5), and has been steady at each level. Sits in the mid 90's with a good hard breaking slider.

Lots to like about this kid, including his makeup. He's got the profile of a closer, but is likely to be a setup guy for the year. In deeper leagues that value short relievers....he's a great target.