Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

RW 2013 Community Mock Draft IVMar. 9: Draft back on, discussion here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
205 replies to this topic

#1 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Lets get sign ups going for the 4th Mock Draft.  I'm in again so we need 11 more.

#2 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

What are the specs for this one?
16 Team 10 Player Keeper  (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters:  Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#3 Tommygunns

Tommygunns

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'm new but I'm in, just let me know when, EST
NL Only 10 team 4x4 Keeper's going into draft: A Rizzo@5, R Weeks@25, S Castro@30, A McClutchen@36, C Quieton@5,  A Eaton@2, S MArte@5, Gio Gonzalez@18 and G Kimbrell@22

#4 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

I'll participate again if you need one more. Sure beats any crappy Yahoo mock where half the players are MIA after round 10 or don't know anything.

#5 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostChubbles, on 02 March 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

View PostTommygunns, on 02 March 2013 - 08:36 AM, said:

I'm new but I'm in, just let me know when, EST

Great to see more enthusiasm, as for the specs, those are for the 12 who sign up & confirm to decide on specifics.  

One key comment - past Mocks (including Mock I-III 2013) have had significant bumps because owners were NOT aware of the full commitment these Mocks entail.  It is NOT simply a chance to do a Mock, but meant as a vehicle of discussion for the community as a whole.  To avoid new & unfamiliar members from signing up, only to realize they can't live up to the full commitment these Mocks require, here's a recap of the rules, principles & best practices:

View PostPRoSPx, on 10 February 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Wanted to see if we could get a mock draft gong Monday.  Post below if you want in.  If we get 12 people tonight we could start as early as Monday otherwise the following day from when this fills up.

I wanted to go a little deeper in this draft.  As I generally play in deeper than 276 player pool leagues.

Based on past experience with other Forum Mock Drafts, here are the rules to keep Mock Drafts helpful for the community at large, and help the Draft move along and complete successfully:

RW COMMUNITY MOCK DRAFT RULES (EDITED 2013)

1.  One Mock Draft at a time, from January to a week before Opening Day.  The Main Forum is not the Forum for league creation, but as a vehicle to help general discussion.

2.   Members who wish to participate in this Mock Draft will first confirm in descending order if the members who gave their names that they can actually be around or reachable on a regular basis for 7-10 days minimum. Once 12 are confirmed, any still left can be wait-listed for dropouts. If you can't do it, let others do it who can.

3.   Two threads will exist for each Mock Draft - a sign-up / discussion thread and a Picks-only thread.  All posters are welcome to comment and constructively critique draft picks - but the 12 Draft members make the picks (or their designate / queue picks), barring delays described below. If you want to comment - do so in the Mock Draft thread - and NOT the Mock Draft Pick Thread.  That thread will be for picks ONLY.

4.   An agreed upon mechanism when delays during peak posting hours should be in place - leaving a pick queue or substitute picker in advance of known absences will go a long way to minimize long delays - but if excessive delays without ETA occur, it's fair for the draft to go with a plan B - which is to allow the league to draft based on need/consensus if an absence of > 3 hours (or by a time designated by the group) prior to the Draft's start. The clock will NOT be applied for overnight / early AM (unless you are all East Coast posters, in which the hours can be modified by unanimous agreement).  If 2 or more absences of 3+ hours without pick lists / designated substitute occurs where there is no notice or advance warning given, an owner may be replaced from the wait-list.  For Greater Clarity - the 3-hour time limit is meant for occasional absences.  It is NOT meant as the rule of law.  If owners cannot meet the ability to draft 3-4x in a draft day regularly, they should NOT register - and may be replaced if they cannot meet this commitment first & foremost.  As context matters (weekends, later rounds, etc.) - the group will discuss & determine the best way to proceed in repeated absences are occurring.

5.  The PM/listing draft picks taken done regularly here really works to keep everyone up to date & promote discussion, so Mock Draft participants also agree to help out with this.  To be clear, this means posting if you want to leave a list with someone because you will be away, and if you are about to pick soon.  Ask if you don't know who to leave a list with.  It also means once you have picked, send a PM to the next owner to let then know they are OTC (on the clock!)

6.  All members can post & discuss picks made in the Draft signup & discussion thread - but we leave the picks to the 12 (or their designates/plan B if they are absent), and the picks in the Picks-only thread.

7.  Format's for the general community, so 5x5 still rules the day.   Formats are chosen to be generalizable to the community at large - so 5x5 standard settings will be used.  FOR GREATER CLARITY:  Given the popularity of Yahoo & ESPN, these are the formats used for the first 2 drafts.  If we get past 2 Mock Drafts, the exact details will be determined prior to each draft, with the 5x5 format remaining to serve the community at large, in keeping with the generalizable theme.

8.  Any poster who is not on the list above can submit their name to be wait-listed - we may get drop-outs, and of course, other Mock Drafts remain a possibility - but again, the present Mock completes first, as the Mock is for the general community as a whole, and not simply as a means for practice for the 12 members (otherwise, it would be in another Forum).

A reminder on some of the practices that help keep the draft running smoothly:

1.  Make sure to click "Follow this Topic" for the Picks-Only thread - and ensure you get e-mail notifications for topics that you follow.  The "Follow This Topic" link is on the upper-right hand side of the 1st post of each page. Your notification settings are in "Your Profile" - look under "Notifications".

2.  Copy/pasting the draft order with recent picks and updating your pick is FAR BETTER than posting your team in the Picks-Only thread.   Posting your team roster is helpful in the discussion thread - but in the Picks Only thread, it's far more effective to have a draft board updated by round, not by team.   If you are on a mobile and can't post the whole list - let others know why it's only 1 player.   Whenever you can, post the draft board - because it helps keep everyone's list up-to-date.  Also, when you have posted your pick - make sure to PM the owner behind you - a simple "Mock Draft OTC Round X" in title is all that's needed.

3.   If you are going to be OTC soon (1-2 picks away) but you know you will be away, leave a pick queue or target list with another drafting member who can't snipe you.   If you don't know who to leave this list with - post on the Discussion thread your need to leave a list.   This a practice that members in ALL online "slow" drafts do to keep drafts going. It's also the way to get 3-4 rounds in a day done - by not delaying a draft simply because you are OTC, know your target list, but aren't around the Forums when your turn comes up.

4.   Remember, it is just a mock draft - but there are 11 other members who agreed to the above - and they expect the 12 will do their best to get the draft done in the 7-10 day timeframe.   It's simply what is fair to the other 11 members - and since you are agreeing to the principles above, you've agreed to respect the timeframes.  These timeframes were put in place not to optimize draft results - but to respect the other's time spent for this draft.   So, again - if you can't meet the requirements - let someone else do it, and enjoy watching it from the sidelines.

One final note - the above is meant to ensure the Mock Drafts run as smoothly as possible, and also to benefit the community at large.  The most successful drafts have used these principles, but more importantly, when community as a whole (the 12 members drafting) have taken the Draft and run with it.   In other words - the Draft rules are what help standardize the drafts for the Community at large - but only the Community Draft members can make the Draft succeed.   As such, if the 12 members can agree to modifications on timeframes, weekends, etc. - in the end, the group has to make the draft work, so it's more important the group figure this out, and then commit to running it together (the only unchangeables are the 5x5 format (generalizable) and 1 draft at a time (the Forum's not a draft room).  

To be clear - the above principles are meant to help the draft group get organized, get started, and to move the draft along, and to resolve any outstanding issues - but other than the basics being preserved (1 draft at a time, 12 teams, 5x5 format, separate threads for picks & discussion) - the GROUP works out the issues, using the framework above to help them make these calls!  In other words - for each group - get together, get agreement, and get going! Best of luck!

Quick recap:

1.  Post picks in the picks-only thread, all the discussion happens here.  Each time you pick, PM the person behind you that they are OTC (on the clock).

2.  If you will be gone for extended time leave a queue list with someone who can't snipe you.

3.  You get 3 hours on the clock before a pick will be made for you.  This is not the expected normal - if we want to get 3-4 rounds done daily, that's the exception, not the rule.

4.  Once everyone is signed up we will agree on "live drafting hours".

Hope that helps everyone....
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#6 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'll make picks if you need spots filled, but I would prefer to not be as involved with the administration of this one, or maintaining the google doc, etc.

If others wish to participate, totally understand.

#7 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

I was in the first one, I'd do another...any interest in an nl or al only mock?
16 Team 10 Player Keeper  (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters:  Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#8 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostChubbles, on 02 March 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

I was in the first one, I'd do another...any interest in an nl or al only mock?

The 12-team, 5x5 formats, 1-draft-at-a-time & 7-10 day goals for getting drafts done (whether weekends count depends on group) are the 4 steadfast principles.  The first 2 are done to keep the drafts as generalizable to the community at large, which is the point of the Mocks (and why Yahoo/ESPN formats are done in the first 2 Mocks, given the popularity of these 2 platforms).   There are also several best practices, like leaving draft queues, following the Picks-only thread (a feature of the Forums) so you get notified each time a pick is made, and letting others know when you are AFK.  

Those 4 principles listed above are locked in & every member who drafts also agrees to follow the best practices.  For the rest, it all depends on the 12 who agree to the rules above & best practices.  In the end, it's the 12 who draft who will make or break the Mocks - so get the 12 to figure formats, rosters, hours of drafting, how you handle off-hours, etc.  From past drafts, one final comment - make sure everyone understands these details and the 4 basic principles - especially the part about 3 hours as NOT the standard used every time - but only for exceptions (and the need to keep the group in the loop with absences & pick queues).  Believe me, it saves a lot of unnecessary drama down the road...

(Figured this would help those new or unfamiliar to the RW Mocks)
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

#9 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

I'm interested in a regular 5x5 mock. I'd most likely be posting 75% of my picks from a phone during the weekdays(during the day), aka I won't be able to copy and paste all of the previous picks. Is that ok?
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#10 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

We'd agree on them when we get 12 people, but probably standard roto or something close...

So far we have

1. Jackmurphy
2. Chubbles
3. JFS171
4. supac720
5. Tommygunns
6. ProSPx

Half way there.... RotoRaysFan you feel like joining a quality mock draft?

#11 apathy

apathy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

I'm in
10-Team PPR Long Time Keeper

QB A.Rodgers/Glennon
RB Bernard/Tate/A.Brown/Ellington/Vareen
WR D.Thomas/V.Jackson/A.Brown/J.Jones
TE Gronkowski/Greisham
K M.Crosby
DEF TEN Def

#12 nyfresh1

nyfresh1

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

I'd like to do it, but I'm in Asia now and would probably need to PM someone my picks often as I'll be asleep during part of the day for you over there.  If this is too much of a problem I understand.

#13 Dirk's Digglers

Dirk's Digglers

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I would be in again as well.

#14 v0dka

v0dka

I ♥ football

• Moderators
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'm in too.
@MikeBaileyNFL

#15 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostPRoSPx, on 03 March 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

We'd agree on them when we get 12 people, but probably standard roto or something close...

So far we have

1. Jackmurphy
2. Chubbles
3. JFS171
4. supac720
5. Tommygunns
6. ProSPx

Half way there.... RotoRaysFan you feel like joining a quality mock draft?

Thanks, but I'm not around a fair bit during draft hours, and not reachable for 3-4 hours at a time, and sometimes longer.   That's the exact type of problem that has stalled drafts, and no one should sign up with those kind of issues - including me.

For the posters that say they can't be around for a good portion of the draft days and need to be PM'd - how do you propose to be able to draft 3-4x a day, and NOT use the 3 hour time limit as a regular occurrence?   Again, to be clear - if posters see the 3-hour time limit and think "I can do that 3-hour limit" - that is the EXCEPTION, not the rule.   Posters who can't meet the essential requirement of being available to draft to get 3-4 rounds a day done, or who slow the group by requiring 3 hours with most times, during peak drafting hours - the group then has to decide to move on, auto-pick, or replace.   Posting by phone or text quickly when OTC is fine - but not being around for stretches of time (like halfway around the world) - unless you can leave picks ahead of time / designate substitute pickers to avoid repeated delays,  let's just agree it's an obstacle that makes the draft even harder, and not fair to the other 11 drafting.  It's up to the other members in the final 12 to decide - but frankly, it's unfair to put them in that type of decision.

Basically, if you have to qualify your ability to meet the draft's requirements - don't sign up.  And frankly, the group of 12 who draft will be far better off being upfront on those signing up with concerns than they are having to replace/auto-pick mid-draft.

The Mocks are great for those that can do it - but it's also a commitment to the other 11 owners to be available, follow the rules agreed upon (some being fixed, some being group-driven), and follow the best practices to help keep the draft running.   It's not because this an earth-shattering event - it's only a Mock Draft.  But, it's also something 11 other owners commit to with an expected time frame - so being as committed as the other 11, it's respectful to their time & commitment as well.   In respect of those who can make that commitment - better the group has 12 committed owners who can be around enough.  I can't, so I appreciate the offer, but I have to decline.  

Given you have 6 owners already - I have no doubt you will find a full group soon.  One suggestion seeing past Mocks both this year and past - those committed to the Draft should start organizing (as you have already done), but also be upfront on making sure everyone's on board with the commitments.  As the past Draft demonstrated, it is FAR better to be upfront before the draft than settle issues in the draft.   Those who are confirmed in the 12 - you're going to be settling issues in-draft, but it's actually better if you decide pre-draft on potentially sticky issues.   Plus, doing it now, the 6 confirmed and the prospective owners can get things started in confirming commitment while the 2nd half fills out (and all 12 can get on board to settle final key details once the key basic principles are confirmed with all 12).

Good luck!

#16 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

I'd like to think I was an active participant in the 3rd Mock and would offer to pick in this one as well if you need a spot filled, but if others want a chance, I understand as well....

Nonetheless, if I wasn't a hold-up in #3, I'd join #4 since it looks like some of the people who picked quickly in #3 are going to be in this one as well. Just depends on if others are above on a list or anything.... otherwise I would join.... I'd like to do one more, since a lot of injuries have already taken place that will effect ADP come draft day.
Team #1: currently winning $250 if the season ended today.
Team #2: currently winning $1.250 if the season ended today.
This site: as bad as Yahoo's new updates when it comes to news blurbs and typos. I'll donate my earnings if you'll fix your news?

#17 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Sign me up.  I know I am late to the party but I do this every year.
www. drafttracker.net

#18 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

If you still have space...I'll re-enter the frey as it were.

As before I will set up the Google Docs for everyone and try to keep it up to date..

Lol looks liked im 13th...ah well.

Edited by Slatykamora, 03 March 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#19 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

View Postnyfresh1, on 03 March 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

I'd like to do it, but I'm in Asia now and would probably need to PM someone my picks often as I'll be asleep during part of the day for you over there.  If this is too much of a problem I understand.

As long as you can work a que it should be fine.  That's all mock drafting comes down to, if you know you're going to be gone message someone who picks around (but not before) you with a list.  It's simple.

#20 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Up to date list of people wanting to participate.

1. Jackmurphy
2. Chubbles
3. JFS171
4. supac720
5. Tommygunns
6. ProSPx
7. apathy
8. nyfresh1 9.
10. Dirk's Digglers
11. v0dka
12. Nick Mitchell
13. yoda