Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Brett Gardner 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
120 replies to this topic

#1 cmm06h

cmm06h

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

I see a big steal here late in drafts. Decent average with lots of SB's.
12 team, 5x5, h2h

C- Wilin Rosario
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Aaron Hill
3B - Evan Longoria
SS - Ben Zobrist
OF - Kole Calhoun
OF - Melky Cabrera
OF - Shin Soo Choo
OF - Yangervis Solarte
UT - David Ortiz
BE - Devin Mesoraco

SP - James Shields, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Sonny Gray, Drew Hutchison, Erik Bedard, Gavin Floyd
RP - Grant Balfour
BE - Drew Smyly, Julio Teheran, Ian Kennedy, Dallas Keuchel, Matt Cain
DL - Derek Holland

#2 ulysses

ulysses

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

i am always skeptical of the yankees regarding SBs but if there ever was a year... it's this year. Though I'm drafting with NYers so there will be no discount for me...

#3 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Is he healthy?
SIG UPDATED TO 9/1/2014!

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Michael Crabtree (backups Kelvin Benjamin and Steve Smith)
RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Shane Vereen
TE Jason Witten (backup Kelce)
FLEX Ben Tate (backup RB benny cunningham, roy helu)

#4 astarlist

astarlist

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Yeah, he's healthy and starting in CF. If he finally gets to lead off he will be $$. The yankee offense isn't bad, even with all the injuries and old players they have. He has a pretty high OBP so he can get tons of runs at the top of that lineup.
12 team dynasty h2h points league
C C. Santana
1b Trumbo
2b Kipnis, Prado
ss Bogaerts
3b Zimmerman
MI Rutledge
CI Sandoval
OF Choo, Gardner, Fowler, M. Brantley
Util Belt,
BN G. Polanco, Buxton

P Minor, Moore, Salazar, Kennedy, Archer, Yordano, Z. Wheeler, Erasmo Ramirez, T. Walker, Duffy, Bundy, Heaney

#5 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

will wait to see how he does in the next 3 weeks before draft
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#6 cowbell204

cowbell204

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Is he really going to go that late?

#7 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

View Postastarlist, on 04 March 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

Yeah, he's healthy and starting in CF. If he finally gets to lead off he will be $$. The yankee offense isn't bad, even with all the injuries and old players they have. He has a pretty high OBP so he can get tons of runs at the top of that lineup.

Isn't Ichiro going to lead off? MLBDepthCharts has Gardner listed as the #8 hitter right now, sandwiched between the great Juan Rivera and Chris Stewart. Not trying to say there is no value here, especially if he maintains something close to his current O-Rank of 172 on Yahoo, but I can't see more than a .270/70R/5HR/50RBI/40SB type year if he hits 8th.
No one cares about my teams...

#8 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Gardner wasn't leading off when he was healthy and raking. No way he leads off this year after the circus that was last year.

Ichiro or Jeter in that spot.
SIG UPDATED TO 9/1/2014!

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Shane Vereen

#9 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

The lineup aint the same.  Gardy might end up batting 3rd by the end of the season

#10 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

People keep saying the lineup isnt the same, and yet it looks the same to me, at least up top, just with youkilis filling in for arod.
SIG UPDATED TO 9/1/2014!

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Shane Vereen

#11 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

View Postcyberer, on 05 March 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

People keep saying the lineup isnt the same, and yet it looks the same to me, at least up top, just with youkilis filling in for arod.

I'll say this...Jeter isn't playing 162 this year with him coming off that ankle. At his age and recent injury history. He is likely to see more days off than he has in the past. That and even then, reasonable chance he could find himself on the DL at some point this year... Gardner might get more games at the top of the lineup this year than you think..

But otherwise I expect him to be the 9 hitter most of the year. But I won't dismiss that he may get a chance with an injury...

Edited by Slatykamora, 05 March 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#12 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

I don't care where Gardner hits in the lineup.  He'll get fulltime ab's and provide great value for his ADP.
He's exactly the reason why to draft power early and wait on speed.
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, Kendrys Morales
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, Alex Guerrero
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - George Springer

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Mike Fiers
Bench - Alex Wood, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson, Kyle Hendricks, Carlos Carrasco

#13 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

As of right now he is the leadoff hitter for the Yanks for atleast the immediate future. Jeter is banged up and probably will not be seeing any game action until the second week of the season.

Injury Lineup

CF Brett Gardner SS Eduardo Nunez RF Ichiro Suzuki 2B Robinson Cano 3B Kevin Youkilis DH Travis Hafner LF Vernon Wells 1B Juan Rivera C

Healthy Jeter Lineup

CF Brett Gardner SS Derek Jeter RF Ichiro Suzuki 2B Robinson Cano 3B Kevin Youkilis DH Travis Hafner LF Vernon Wells 1B Juan Rivera C

Healthy full lineup (May-June Lineup)

SS Derek Jeter RF Ichiro Suzuki 2B Robinson Cano 1B Mark Teixera CF Curtis Granderson 3B Kevin Youkilis DH Hafner/Wells C Chris Stewart LF Brett Gardner

Best case scenario Brett Gardner owners lineup

LF Brett Gardner SS Derek Jeter RF Ichiro Suzuki 2B Robinson Cano 1B Mark Teixera CF Curtis Granderson 3B Kevin Youkilis DH Hafner/Wells C Chris Stewart.

Most likely Girardi will covet Gardner's speed at the bottom of the lineup but we all could hope. Stewart becomes a road block to Gardner at the top of the lineup with the last configuration. The bonus to Gardner batting nine in the healthy scenario is the lineup will be loaded again so it probably will not do much if any damage to his counting stats. He did manage 90 plus and 50 bags in 2010 out of the 9th slot.

#14 mkcatl

mkcatl

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

View Postbigbluecrew56, on 28 March 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

As of right now he is the leadoff hitter for the Yanks for atleast the immediate future. Jeter is banged up and probably will not be seeing any game action until the second week of the season.

Injury Lineup

CF Brett Gardner SS Eduardo Nunez RF Ichiro Suzuki 2B Robinson Cano 3B Kevin Youkilis DH Travis Hafner LF Vernon Wells 1B Juan Rivera C

Healthy Jeter Lineup

CF Brett Gardner SS Derek Jeter RF Ichiro Suzuki 2B Robinson Cano 3B Kevin Youkilis DH Travis Hafner LF Vernon Wells 1B Juan Rivera C

Healthy full lineup (May-June Lineup)

SS Derek Jeter RF Ichiro Suzuki 2B Robinson Cano 1B Mark Teixera CF Curtis Granderson 3B Kevin Youkilis DH Hafner/Wells C Chris Stewart LF Brett Gardner

Best case scenario Brett Gardner owners lineup

LF Brett Gardner SS Derek Jeter RF Ichiro Suzuki 2B Robinson Cano 1B Mark Teixera CF Curtis Granderson 3B Kevin Youkilis DH Hafner/Wells C Chris Stewart.

Most likely Girardi will covet Gardner's speed at the bottom of the lineup but we all could hope. Stewart becomes a road block to Gardner at the top of the lineup with the last configuration. The bonus to Gardner batting nine in the healthy scenario is the lineup will be loaded again so it probably will not do much if any damage to his counting stats. He did manage 90 plus and 50 bags in 2010 out of the 9th slot.

Cano will bat 3rd all year long as per Girardi, meaning when Jeter comes back Gardner most likely goes to 9, which is ridiculous imo.  But if Gardner can start hot he might be able to push ichiro down.
----------------
12 team pts league Keepers:

J. Montero, I. Davis, D. Pedroia, J. Reyes, M. Cabrera
J. Upton, J. Bruce, A. Craig, V. Martinez

M. Bumgarner, K. Medlen, J. Zimmerman, A. Sanchez, J. Niese
J. Nathan, G. Perkins, B. League

Bench:
M. Moustakas, B. Gardner, A. Eaton, J. Gyorko, D.Viciedo, O. Taveras
A. Cashner, J. Garcia, M. Garza, C. Luebke

#15 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

View Postmkcatl, on 28 March 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

View Postbigbluecrew56, on 28 March 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Cano will bat 3rd all year long as per Girardi, meaning when Jeter comes back Gardner most likely goes to 9, which is ridiculous imo.  But if Gardner can start hot he might be able to push ichiro down.

Many more people are tuned in to the Yanks better than I, but one of the skills that differentiates Gardner from other rabbits is his batter's eye. He has one of the best OBP histories (MiLB,MLB) you will find in a basestealing gnat. With Maddon & TB using supercomputers to figure this grand ol' game out, someone needs to tell Girardi that Brett's on-base skillz fit perfectly where he's at right now: leadoff. This old school management technique of "people feel comfortable in their slots" is going to get trumped in that division.

**Plus, the Yanks lost a bazillion HRs to injury and FA losses. Stealing bases seems logical to become a bigger ingredient in the recipe.

#16 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

i know it's LHP Lester on the mound, but i still think Jeter slides into 2 hole when he comes back. Revere was an absolute bidding war in leagues, while i got Brett everywhere for chump change. i feel a full time leadoff hitter here, even when DJ & Tex return. *fist pump*

#17 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

I think it would be in the Yanks best interest to keep Gardner at leadoff long term. The problem they might be dealing with though is hurting Ichiro's feelings by moving him down in the lineup. But Ichiro is going to be touching 40 soon so who cares about his feelings "GIRARDI" play your best young speedster at the top of the lineup.

#18 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Way to go Girardi. Ichiro batting 7th. Looks like Gardner at leadoff is here to say.

#19 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Gets caught stealing in his first attempt then makes up for it in his next AB and goes deep. Way to show some pop Gardy now go steal bases.

#20 cmm06h

cmm06h

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Yep, not really what I drafted him for, but I'll take it. Hopefully the CS isn't a sign of things to come or anything.
12 team, 5x5, h2h

C- Wilin Rosario
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Aaron Hill
3B - Evan Longoria
SS - Ben Zobrist
OF - Kole Calhoun
OF - Melky Cabrera
OF - Shin Soo Choo
OF - Yangervis Solarte
UT - David Ortiz
BE - Devin Mesoraco

SP - James Shields, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Sonny Gray, Drew Hutchison, Erik Bedard, Gavin Floyd
RP - Grant Balfour
BE - Drew Smyly, Julio Teheran, Ian Kennedy, Dallas Keuchel, Matt Cain
DL - Derek Holland