43 replies to this topic

#1 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

Anyone else high on him for 2013? He has been guaranteed a spot in the rotation in KC, and he was great out of the bullpen with the Rays last year with a K/9 over 11 and his FB gained velocity. I know he was pitching out of those bullpen so those numbers can jump up, but he was once a top prospect for the Rays, and I think he can be a solid sleeper this year especially since no one is talking about him.
  • sayhey58 likes this
No Days Off

#2 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Baseball is hands down my favorite sport ever!..I eat, breath, and sleep baseball....Yes, been a Giants fan since they came to SF in 1958!!!

However; since I have found fantasy baseball, I am fond of all around baseball, teams and players even though I still loath the Dodgers:)

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

I have had him on my teams since he came up.............I am a big time fan of Wade Davis.........I just like his stuff and feel he needs to be on my teams :)

#3 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,930 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Anyone else high on him for 2013? He has been guaranteed a spot in the rotation in KC, and he was great out of the bullpen with the Rays last year with a K/9 over 11 and his FB gained velocity. I know he was pitching out of those bullpen so those numbers can jump up, but he was once a top prospect for the Rays, and I think he can be a solid sleeper this year especially since no one is talking about him.

I'm curious to see how his stuff holds up in a return to starting. If he can keep his FB gains, in addition to escaping the AL east, then I like him as a sleeper for 2013. I could see myself drafting him late just to find out.

#4 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Baseball is hands down my favorite sport ever!..I eat, breath, and sleep baseball....Yes, been a Giants fan since they came to SF in 1958!!!

However; since I have found fantasy baseball, I am fond of all around baseball, teams and players even though I still loath the Dodgers:)

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Yup...I have never had to fight anyone for him:)....Most of the time he is a waiver wire pick up...So, he is cheap and worth the $$$ :P

#5 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

He won't keep the gained velocity. Pitchers always gain velocity when they move to the bullpen

#6 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

The pitchers that switch between starter and reliever roles normally have about a 2-2.5 mph difference on their fastball, so it is likely he goes back to his 2011 mph. His swinging strike %, k/9, line drive %, contact rates were all horrible in his 2 full seasons as a starter. He didn't have a strong enough gb % to make up for it. Maybe a scenery change and whatever he learned last year will help him out, but I don't see him being much more than league average.

#7 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

The pitchers that switch between starter and reliever roles normally have about a 2-2.5 mph difference on their fastball, so it is likely he goes back to his 2011 mph. His swinging strike %, k/9, line drive %, contact rates were all horrible in his 2 full seasons as a starter. He didn't have a strong enough gb % to make up for it. Maybe a scenery change and whatever he learned last year will help him out, but I don't see him being much more than league average.

I know his stats weren't great as a starter, but he was young and is still is young so maybe he just matured as a player and grew. As a sleeper you can get him probably wjth the last pick in a draft or for a dollar in an auction. The Royals organization is obviously very fond of this guy and they committed to him being a starter immediately.
No Days Off

#8 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

I know his stats weren't great as a starter, but he was young and is still is young so maybe he just matured as a player and grew. As a sleeper you can get him probably wjth the last pick in a draft or for a dollar in an auction. The Royals organization is obviously very fond of this guy and they committed to him being a starter immediately.

The royals may be starting him more out of necessity than any great fondness.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#9 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

The royals may be starting him more out of necessity than any great fondness.

I agree that he can't be worse then Bruce Chen, but I still think it's a little bit of both
No Days Off

#10 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I don't see Davis being anything more than an end game pick up at this point. But he is someone to keep on your radar.

Here's an excellent article on his move to KC

http://www.fangraphs...arting-pitcher/
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#11 accobra_kid

accobra_kid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

I picked him at the end of the 18th round in my 20-team league today.

I like that he's not going to have to fight for a back-end of the rotation spot like he did in Tampa Bay with Niemann and the rest of the Rays' young stud pitchers.

I like the move from the AL East to the AL Central. Kansas City has a much easier schedule. They get less attention and as a result, he is less visible and falls lower on pre-draft rankings.

He's only 27, this will be his 4th full season in the bigs.

Not very flashy totals, but in deeper leagues, consistent guys like him are valuable. Sometimes you need that unsexy 5.0 IP, 2 ER, 4 K, W line on a Sunday afternoon to eek out a win in a couple of categories.

#12 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Who do you guys think will produce better on that staff...Santana or Davis? I was thinking that I liked Santana more...

Also, when looking at Davis you get in the area with pitchers like Nicasio, Blanton, Niemann, Stauffer....and maybe even Danks coming off the injury. I'm really struggling with this level of SP in a deep mixed-league (roto) where decisions like this can make a difference.

Edited by Damn Yankee, 15 March 2013 - 09:02 AM.

"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

#13 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

Who do you guys think will produce better on that staff...Santana or Davis? I was thinking that I liked Santana more...

Also, when looking at Davis you get in the area with pitchers like Nicasio, Blanton, Niemann, Stauffer....and maybe even Danks coming off the injury. I'm really struggling with this level of SP in a deep mixed-league (roto) where decisions like this can make a difference.

I think Ervin is primed for a very solid season, and he's having a great spring so far. I wouldn't be shocked to see 15 wins, 180 Ks and a high 3 ERA

Take it with a grain of salt though since I've had an obsessive/unexplainable mancrush on him since '08 :(
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#14 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Tossing batting practice in Philly right now...

#15 bdawkins456

bdawkins456

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hahah loving this fastballs right down the middle my Phils are crushing them too but yea this guy needs to start locating the fastball if he wants success
2014 ESPN Standard 10 Team Redraft 5x5 H2H each category league
C- Jonathon Lucroy
1B- Freddie Freeman
2B- Josh Harrison
3B- Adrian Beltre
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
2B/SS- Hanley Ramirez
1B/3B- Jose Abreu
OF- Ryan Braun, Adam Jones, Billy Hamilton, Andrew McCutchen, Mike Trout
UTIL- Matt Holliday
BENCH- Denard Span, Jed Lowrie, Alex Cobb
DL- Jose Fernandez, Edwin Encarnacion
PITCHERS- Max Scherzer, Zach Greinke, Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez, Garrett Richards, Jake Arrieta, Craig Kimbrel, Rafael Soriano, Zach Britton

#16 accobra_kid

accobra_kid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Good line from him last night at home against Minnesota. 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 BB, 0 R, 6 K, W.

Looks like he will travel to Atlanta and Detroit for his next two stats. Can't say I'm particularly happy about that.

#17 South Jersey Bombers

South Jersey Bombers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:trying to take over the world

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Good line from him last night at home against Minnesota. 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 BB, 0 R, 6 K, W.

Looks like he will travel to Atlanta and Detroit for his next two stats. Can't say I'm particularly happy about that.

His game wasnt that great, watched first 4 inng and he loaded the bases in the first two inng, didnt have great control. He got out of these jams but pitch count kept soaring up. The Twins are a pretty gritty team but i expected Davis to have a bounce back game after an iffy first outing.

2014 champ, and letting my league mates know every day and every second i can.

#18 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

I want nothing to do with him vs det/atl

He hasnt been sharp at all this year.

#19 accobra_kid

accobra_kid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Starts @ Atlanta today, in a nooner against Mike Minor (2-0, 0.69) and the scorching hot Braves.

No thanks.

#20 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

There is no logical reason for starting him

So I'm gonna, because logical and rationale has failed me so far with my streaming. I'm going opposite this week, ratios are already f'd anyway.
  • Gambino likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users