265 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

So we franchised Anthony Spencer which was a good move. Released Sensabaugh which honestly, I disagreed with.

So who do we go after now? I'm hoping Dashon Goldson from the 49ers or Jake Long from Miami. Either would be fine with me. Both would be great.

As long as we target OL, DL, and safety in the draft, I'll be satisfied.

Edited by Ryan81, 05 March 2013 - 10:25 AM.

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(slow drafting)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Cecil Shorts III
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals/Arizona Cardinals
Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Mohammed Sanu Cole Beasley

#2 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

I agree, not that Sensebaugh was great but he didn't give up any deep balls last year and he knew what he was doing. I'd love to nab Goldson as much as the next guy, and he's expected to hit the market. But even after re-structured contracts, with Spencer's tag we're back over the salary cap. That means no spending money, and a guy like Goldson would command upwards of 8mil/yr.

Viccaro at 18 seems more and more like a strong possibility if he happens to still be there now that Sensebaugh is out of the mix. But, make no mistake, I've been echoing this all offseason, our no1 need is interior offensive line. If we don't fix that we're still an 8-8 team with a ton of talent, that just can't get it done.

Personally, I'm praying Cooper or Warmack slide to the 18th pick, if not pick up a big body blocker like Warford in the 2nd who's way better than anyone we have right now. Costa was just signed for two more years so it appears were committing there, which makes me nervous, but Costa can be serviceable with an anchor stud guard and a decent guard next to him.

With a couple guards that can actually do their job is all this team needs to get over the so-called "hump", the Cowboys can step into double-digit wins with ease. Jerry can't keep neglecting the o-line just because we have one of the more elusive QB's in the league. The dude was running for his life all season, pissing me off.

#3 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostRyan81, on 05 March 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

So we franchised Anthony Spencer which was a good move. Released Sensabaugh which honestly, I disagreed with.

So who do we go after now? I'm hoping Dashon Goldson from the 49ers or Jake Long from Miami. Either would be fine with me. Both would be great.

As long as we target OL, DL, and safety in the draft, I'll be satisfied.
They dont even have the cap room right now to do Spencer let alone Goldson or Long.  They were like 5 Million under the cap as of yesterday then took on like 10-11 in Spencer.

I dont like the move at all, it reaks of Doug Free all over again, overpaying after guy has big year in a contract season.  Not to mention, the team is switching to a 4-3, we dont even know how he will play DE in the 4-3.  If you are trying to think about Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2, who was the DE opposite Simeon Rice when Tampa won the Super Bowl, it was a nobody.  The Cowboys took Crawford in the 3rd round last year, they should of just stuck him at DE.  Im hoping they have franchised him in order to trade him for a pick in the 1st or 2nd round.

I agree with the call for a Tackle via free agency, Long or similiar.  Then use first three picks on Guard, Safety and Interior D-Line, to play the 1-technique spot, with Ratliff at the 3.  Need a RB too, but should be a decent one there in the 4th round.

They need to get Romo's extension done so they can free up that cap room, he has a 16-Million dollar cap hit this year as it stands now.  If they get him an extension, that would free up the money to maybe get Long or similar tackle.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#4 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

We're good on runningbacks. We have Murray. Not sure what Dunbar or Tanner's contracts are but they were both decent last year. I say we let Felix walk although he would probably come cheap if we resigned him.

I also hope we resign Victor Butler. I was impressed by him last year.

I think they'll get Romo's extension done soon.

Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Mohammed Sanu Cole Beasley

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostRyan81, on 05 March 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

We're good on runningbacks. We have Murray. Not sure what Dunbar or Tanner's contracts are but they were both decent last year. I say we let Felix walk although he would probably come cheap if we resigned him.

It was a different offense when they had Murray, who cant be counted on for a full 16-game season, he just gets hurt too much going back to Oklahoma days.  I realize the O-line was bad, but Tanner and Dunbar cannot step in and be a featured back. Two guys I like are Ellington from Clemson and Taylor from Stanford, both could be around there 3rd and 4th round.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

View Postparrothead, on 05 March 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostRyan81, on 05 March 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

It was a different offense when they had Murray, who cant be counted on for a full 16-game season, he just gets hurt too much going back to Oklahoma days.  I realize the O-line was bad, but Tanner and Dunbar cannot step in and be a featured back. Two guys I like are Ellington from Clemson and Taylor from Stanford, both could be around there 3rd and 4th round.

I'm with parrothead here. Murray is a stud, but it's apparent that we need a similar back that can carry the load if Murray were to miss time. I like where your going with Taylor and Ellington.

Namely, Taylor, he's not flashy at all, so he could last till the 4th, but he's a complete "load-carrier" back that is probably the best pass-blocking RB in this year's draft which I love. I like addressing our major needs in the first 3 rounds, and then waiting on a capable RB till the 4th.

After last year I now have very little faith in Tanner, Felix is good as gone, and Dunbar is nothing more than a compliment change of pace back incapable of carrying any type of load.

#7 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

I have confidence in Tanner and Dunbar. Actually, I really liked Dunbar last year. No clue who those guys are from the draft as I don't watch NCAA. I wouldn't mind having someone like Chris Ivory though. Rumor has it that they might be releasing him.

I kind of wish we would release Miles Austin. Don't know how much he's making but that should save quite a bit of room. We have Harris and I would love to see what all the hype on Cole Beasly was about.

#8 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,966 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostRyan81, on 05 March 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

I have confidence in Tanner and Dunbar. Actually, I really liked Dunbar last year. No clue who those guys are from the draft as I don't watch NCAA. I wouldn't mind having someone like Chris Ivory though. Rumor has it that they might be releasing him.

I kind of wish we would release Miles Austin. Don't know how much he's making but that should save quite a bit of room. We have Harris and I would love to see what all the hype on Cole Beasly was about.

You need to understand the salary cap before you start making wish lists in FA.  Dallas will be fairly quiet in FA and only have enough room to make some depth moves unless they let Spencer go or trade him.  They already restructured Austin's contract and look for guys like Dan Connor, Marcus Spears and maybe Vickers to be cut this week.  Once Romo's extension is worked out that will get the Cowboys some working capital but they're 4 million over the cap right now.  They probably need to cut bait with Ratliff, a declining player in legal trouble now and you could see Doug Free gone with the June 1st cuts.

And Dallas will address the RB situation through the draft or after the June 1st cuts.  They've already come out and said they like Dunbar but see him as more of a 3rd RB so they understand they need to sign a RB or draft one in the middle rounds....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#9 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

They just re-did Austins deal last week to help get under the cap.

#10 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 05 March 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

You need to understand the salary cap before you start making wish lists in FA.  Dallas will be fairly quiet in FA and only have enough room to make some depth moves unless they let Spencer go or trade him.  They already restructured Austin's contract and look for guys like Dan Connor, Marcus Spears and maybe Vickers to be cut this week.  Once Romo's extension is worked out that will get the Cowboys some working capital but they're 4 million over the cap right now.  They probably need to cut bait with Ratliff, a declining player in legal trouble now and you could see Doug Free gone with the June 1st cuts.

And Dallas will address the RB situation through the draft or after the June 1st cuts.  They've already come out and said they like Dunbar but see him as more of a 3rd RB so they understand they need to sign a RB or draft one in the middle rounds....
Sounds like Ratliff is here to stay, at least one year to see how he responds at the 3-technique spot in Kiffins 4-3.  Spears will probably go, I was listening to comments on him the other day and it doesnt sound like he fits in a 4-3, just doesnt get up the field enough, he is more a DE in the 3-4 scheme which is more of a plugger type role, where Kiffin in the 4-3 the interior guys need to get moving up the field and disrupt.

Vickers is pretty much gone, its instant $1 Million savings both real and cap wise.  As you mentioned Free's release makes sense after June 1 because of the way things are structured, but its a lot of throw away money (some this year and next) if you cut him.  The guy that I cant stand, cost them huge last year every critical play or penalty he seemed to be negatively involved was Scandrick, but I think his deal isnt that friendly.

So they are about 4-Million under the cap right now (officially Spencer isnt on there just yet) but assuming he is and assuming he doesnt sign long term, they are really 4-5 over as you mentioned.  So...

- They can rework an extension with Romo, probably pick up 8-10 Million in cap room this year.
- They can either trade Spencer OR sign him to a long term deal which would be minimal against the cap this year.

If they do those two things they could conceivably go after a free agent, but more than likely it would be the post-June 1 variety.

#11 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Staff has made it pretty clear they'll be holding onto Ratliff, Ratliff got a ton of heat for that stunt he pulled a couple months ago, but all of that aside I think he's perfect for Kiffin's speed-based tampa-2 scheme.

Connor, Spears, Vickers and Free I'm totally down with cutting. We need the cap space.

Most of our players acquired are going to be through the draft because we just don't have the money. We might be able to add one or two lower profile FA finds, but a lot is hinging on our draft picks because our money is tied up in existing salaries.

#12 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

View Postcbe_88, on 05 March 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Staff has made it pretty clear they'll be holding onto Ratliff, Ratliff got a ton of heat for that stunt he pulled a couple months ago, but all of that aside I think he's perfect for Kiffin's speed-based tampa-2 scheme.

Connor, Spears, Vickers and Free I'm totally down with cutting. We need the cap space.

Most of our players acquired are going to be through the draft because we just don't have the money. We might be able to add one or two lower profile FA finds, but a lot is hinging on our draft picks because our money is tied up in existing salaries.

With Jerry Jones at the helm for personnel decisions this sounds like a situation that isnt likely to pan out based on his track record of  talent evaluation.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#13 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

View Postdzemens, on 05 March 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

With Jerry Jones at the helm for personnel decisions this sounds like a situation that isnt likely to pan out based on his track record of  talent evaluation.

I hear you. Jerry needs to suck it up and draft some freaking o-lineman that can actually block. Only way this franchise can bust past their 8-8 mediocrity. Protect your QB. Period. None of this crap about Jerry saying we can have a porous o-line because Romo can handle running for his life every play. Give Romo a break, and quit holding back this talented offense with a crap o-line.

#14 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

View Postparrothead, on 05 March 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

I must have been hidign under a rock because this is news to me.

View Postcbe_88, on 05 March 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

I hear you. Jerry needs to suck it up and draft some freaking o-lineman that can actually block. Only way this franchise can bust past their 8-8 mediocrity. Protect your QB. Period. None of this crap about Jerry saying we can have a porous o-line because Romo can handle running for his life every play. Give Romo a break, and quit holding back this talented offense with a crap o-line.
Jerry should have fired himself a decade ago.

#15 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostRyan81, on 05 March 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

Never gonna happen, because if and when this team ever wins, Jerry wants credit.  If you watch NFL Networks A Football Life, there was an interesting comment from Jimmy Johnson, which was that Jerry went to him when they were still together and mentioned that nobody cared if he was the greatest owner and signed the checks but they care about who gets that backup guard...and its not just about winning for him, its about winning AND getting credit for it.  What he doesnt get is that the losing and mediocrity have gone on so long, if the Cowboys ever do win anything again with him at the helm it will be viewed as winning in spite of him being the GM, not because of him being the GM.

Since Parcells was in Dallas starting in 2003 however, some of the scouts and way they did things started to change and I think Jerry learned some things, although it hasnt been great its been a lot better the last 8 drafts overall than it was in the drafts post-Jimmy and Pre-Bill, those were aweful.

But they still really struggle with getting good value where it matters which is 3rd to 7th rounds and free agent signings, then coaching those guys up so they are ready to step in and contribute.  2009 was a great example of this, after the aweful Roy Williams trade, they were left with 12 picks 3rd round and later...now 3-4 years later, 1 or 2 guys are still with the team and no starters.  Jerry has a knack for swinging and missing a lot in those middle to late rounds and those are the ones where you really make hay because its a chance to get value production.

#16 maxhyde

maxhyde

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Dallas needs to shore up the interior line but I doubt that much will happen through FA...before or after June 1st.  I think a safety in 1 or 2  and a G/T with whichever of those we don't use.  S is deep so hitting the top 2 rounds may get a real playmaker back there which is required in the Tampa 2.  Church or Matt Johnson should be able to handle the other S position.
Maybe Leary will come around this year and make a move to be a contributor or one of the other guys we have developed for a couple years.
Danny Coale should be able to help out with WR so unless something absolutely amazing drops to the Boys I hope they don't move there.
I think DL should be set but we do need to add a true 4-3 DT to go along with Ratliff and develop.  The DE is sort of set with Wilber covering Ware and either Crawford working the DT/DE flex.
Butler and Jenkins are as good as gone.  Too many 3-4 teams will recognize Butler and take a chance on him breaking out with more time.
Tough choices at the SLB but LB are one thing we did see alot guys doing alot of things last year.  Lee and Carter have to stay healthy though or it will make long days for the defense trying to get off the feild.
I think the Cowboys will be looking more at guys like Franklin and maybe even Lattimore (depending on how far he falls) later in the draft because they have similar speed to Murray and the Cowboys always liked speed in the backfield.
I think they should be loking at a TE to keep Witten healthy and help the run game rounds 3-5 unless they start dropping.

Anyway protecting Romo is the key.  If we can't do that 8-8 will be a good record by early January

#17 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

View Postmaxhyde, on 05 March 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Dallas needs to shore up the interior line but I doubt that much will happen through FA...before or after June 1st.  I think a safety in 1 or 2  and a G/T with whichever of those we don't use.  S is deep so hitting the top 2 rounds may get a real playmaker back there which is required in the Tampa 2.  Church or Matt Johnson should be able to handle the other S position.
Maybe Leary will come around this year and make a move to be a contributor or one of the other guys we have developed for a couple years.
Danny Coale should be able to help out with WR so unless something absolutely amazing drops to the Boys I hope they don't move there.
I think DL should be set but we do need to add a true 4-3 DT to go along with Ratliff and develop.  The DE is sort of set with Wilber covering Ware and either Crawford working the DT/DE flex.
Butler and Jenkins are as good as gone.  Too many 3-4 teams will recognize Butler and take a chance on him breaking out with more time.
Tough choices at the SLB but LB are one thing we did see alot guys doing alot of things last year.  Lee and Carter have to stay healthy though or it will make long days for the defense trying to get off the feild.
I think the Cowboys will be looking more at guys like Franklin and maybe even Lattimore (depending on how far he falls) later in the draft because they have similar speed to Murray and the Cowboys always liked speed in the backfield.
I think they should be loking at a TE to keep Witten healthy and help the run game rounds 3-5 unless they start dropping.

Anyway protecting Romo is the key.  If we can't do that 8-8 will be a good record by early January
I thought the kid Hanna from Oklahoma looked good in limited time last year at Tight End.

#18 maxhyde

maxhyde

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Hanna will be good (is good) but I am not sure he will ever be best suited to replace Witten as an inline TE.  Probably better flexed out in the slot or outside as a bigger WR.  He is very fast for a TE

#19 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 24,966 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

View Postparrothead, on 05 March 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

View PostRyan81, on 05 March 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

Never gonna happen, because if and when this team ever wins, Jerry wants credit.  If you watch NFL Networks A Football Life, there was an interesting comment from Jimmy Johnson, which was that Jerry went to him when they were still together and mentioned that nobody cared if he was the greatest owner and signed the checks but they care about who gets that backup guard...and its not just about winning for him, its about winning AND getting credit for it.  What he doesnt get is that the losing and mediocrity have gone on so long, if the Cowboys ever do win anything again with him at the helm it will be viewed as winning in spite of him being the GM, not because of him being the GM.

Since Parcells was in Dallas starting in 2003 however, some of the scouts and way they did things started to change and I think Jerry learned some things, although it hasnt been great its been a lot better the last 8 drafts overall than it was in the drafts post-Jimmy and Pre-Bill, those were aweful.

But they still really struggle with getting good value where it matters which is 3rd to 7th rounds and free agent signings, then coaching those guys up so they are ready to step in and contribute.  2009 was a great example of this, after the aweful Roy Williams trade, they were left with 12 picks 3rd round and later...now 3-4 years later, 1 or 2 guys are still with the team and no starters.  Jerry has a knack for swinging and missing a lot in those middle to late rounds and those are the ones where you really make hay because its a chance to get value production.

Parcells was great at player development but actually mediocre to poor at player evaluation.  It was the overall mentality and daily operating procedures that Parcells brought over that was so influential and productive and then Jerrah basically scraped it with Captain Marshmallow.  

Dallas is sort of fun to follow b/c Jerrah will always make it a circus but in actuality, the only way Dallas will ever win big again is for the Big Heart attack to descend upon JJ.  It's morbid, but very true.  He's good with a buck and certainly has made the Cowboys valuable but at the end of the day, JJ has been a pretty poor owner for almost 20 years now......It starts from the top and permeates down.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#20 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Great assessments on Parcells, I agree. Did a ton for the culture and player development, however, you're right Parcels wanted to take Spears over Ware with their first first round pick, and I'm glad the rest of the staff convinced him Spears would be there later in the 1st. Players play for him tho cuz he's a good coach.

At the end of the day Jerry needs to hire a GM that is a true football guy a true talent evaluator, Jerry is not that (he's an oil guy for crying out loud) and that's the biggest thing he's doing that's holding this franchise back. And I also believe Jerry gives up his duties to Stephen before owning the cowboys till death, lol.

Edited by cbe_88, 05 March 2013 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users