Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Robinson Cano 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
300 replies to this topic

#1 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

Did not see a 2013 thread for the king of anti-clutch Robbie Cano. Calzonesays posted this is the Teixeira thread thought it brought for interesting debate this is the projected Yankees lineup now that Teixeira may be out for an extended perioid of time with a wrist injury:

Ichiro! (declining)
Derek Jeter (coming off of major ankle surgery)
Robinson Cano (will barely get pitched to)
Kevin Youkilis (before he gets injured, 1B/3B)
Hafner (before he gets injured, DH)
Juan Rivera/Melky Mesa (LF, lol!)
Eduardo Nunez (1B/3B)
Francisco Cervelli (Everyday Catcher!)
Brett Gardner CF

Granderson out 6 weeks, ARod out probably most of the season, Teixeira who knows. All of sudden this lineup looks like a bottom 10 lineup. A lot of Cano`s value has derived from the fact that he played in an elite lineup for counting stats, and his ballpark catered to them being an offensive juggernaunt. Is it an overreaction to drop this guy out of the first round?

Edited by Cmilne23, 06 March 2013 - 02:39 AM.

#2 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,333 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

Oh how appropriate it is for you to be the one to make the Cano thread this year. :lol:

It's a fair observation. That lineup looks pretty underwhelming. Dropping him out of the first round is crazy talk though just because Cano is still far and away the best middle infield option in the league. I don't see much of a drop off in counting stats from last year just because I don't think he hits like .150 with RISP again this year. As long as he still hits .300 with 28+ homers he should be around 100/100 in runs/rbis give or take a few. And that is far better then any other MI can give you.

#3 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

Oh how appropriate it is for you to be the one to make the Cano thread this year. :lol:

It's a fair observation. That lineup looks pretty underwhelming. Dropping him out of the first round is crazy talk though just because Cano is still far and away the best middle infield option in the league. I don't see much of a drop off in counting stats from last year just because I don't think he hits like .150 with RISP again this year. As long as he still hits .300 with 28+ homers he should be around 100/100 in runs/rbis give or take a few. And that is far better then any other MI can give you.

Valid point with his RISP numbers. It would be very difficult to repeat that putrid number again. That figure probably goes up so he shouldnt have much trouble reaching his RBI total of last year. However, he has little margin for error in returning top value because he gets like 0 SBs. So if his statistical contributions go down a bit across the board he does not become a great value. For instance he had 105 runs last year. What if that drops down to 90. And what if RBIs drop to 90, and then HRs drop to 30. So you have a .310 average, 30 HR, 90 RBI, 90 Run, 0 SB guy. I would rather have Pedoria at that point honestly and take the .300 average, 100 runs, 20 HR, 75-80 RBI, 20 SB production. The little less HR and RBI is offset by the much greater number of SBs. Interesting debate for sure. I think Cano is still a first rounder, but I would be surprised if he gave back top 20 production in terms of where he ranks on player rater, and such fantasy metrics.

Edited by Cmilne23, 06 March 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#4 Mexi1024

Mexi1024

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

Valid point with his RISP numbers. It would be very difficult to repeat that putrid number again. That figure probably goes up so he shouldnt have much trouble reaching his RBI total of last year. However, he has little margin for error in returning top value because he gets like 0 SBs. So if his statistical contributions go down a bit across the board he does not become a great value. For instance he had 105 runs last year. What if that drops down to 90. And what if RBIs drop to 90, and then HRs drop to 30. So you have a .310 average, 30 HR, 90 RBI, 90 Run, 0 SB guy. I would rather have Pedoria at that point honestly and take the .300 average, 100 runs, 20 HR, 75-80 RBI, 20 SB production. The little less HR and RBI is offset by the much greater number of SBs. Interesting debate for sure. I think Cano is still a first rounder, but I would be surprised if he gave back top 20 production in terms of where he ranks on player rater, and such fantasy metrics.

Not to mention you can get Pedroia late in the 2nd round while Cano is going top 10 in almost all drafts. That's a better "value" pick IMO.

#5 CM52

CM52

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

If he had hit .310/30/90/90 last year, he still would have been the 7th most valuable player in MLB. Playing at such a shallow position gives him an extremely high floor.

#6 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

Valid points, and for my teams sake I hope he does not regress. This year will be a test if he is as elite as he has shown, or if he is just a product of that lineup/ball park. I think he returns top 10 value.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#7 cdispoto

cdispoto

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

RISP numbers are nearly difficult to predict from year to year. And despite the underwhelming appearance of the Yankee lineup, Cano should still be tremendous at a weak position.

The Fantasy Baseball Forecast projections for Cano:

607 AB / .300 BA / .869 OPS / 93 R / 27 HR / 97 RBI / 5 SB

He's awesome.
Subscribe to receive free fantasy baseball projections at Fantasy Baseball Forecast
http://www.fantasybaseballforecast.com

[Twitter]FBForecast[/twitter]

#8 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

he will be good enough this year but numbers will start to not be quite after this season. someone will give him a big 5+ year contract and pay for what he did.

Edited by ballfan4141, 06 March 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#9 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

RISP numbers are nearly difficult to predict from year to year. And despite the underwhelming appearance of the Yankee lineup, Cano should still be tremendous at a weak position.

He's awesome.

Those numbers were given when Granderson was healthy, and Teixeira was healthy. The Yankees lost A-Rod already and replaced him with an old, worn down, Kevin Youkilis. They lost Russell Martin and replaced him with probably the worst catcher duo in MLB. The lineup took some serious downgrades in the offseason, now there core of guys that were capable of producing are hurt, and they are left with Cano and a bunch of crusty old men. I like Cano, but I think people may be severely underestimating the impact of a poor supporting cast.

#10 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

He's awesome.

Those numbers were given when Granderson was healthy, and Teixeira was healthy. The Yankees lost A-Rod already and replaced him with an old, worn down, Kevin Youkilis. They lost Russell Martin and replaced him with probably the worst catcher duo in MLB. The lineup took some serious downgrades in the offseason, now there core of guys that were capable of producing are hurt, and they are left with Cano and a bunch of crusty old men. I like Cano, but I think people may be severely underestimating the impact of a poor supporting cast.

yes I was saying that I think last season was canos last 300-30-100-100 season.

#11 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

http://www.sportsgri...ns-this-season/

50 game suspension on the way?

Edited by myzto, 07 March 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#12 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

The last tweet on that page pretty much sums this "report" up for me:

Joe Bisceglie @joebisceglie

We were as shocked as you guys are by it. All we ask is that you remember where you heard it first when ESPN "breaks this" in 4 weeks.

In other words....WE WANT ATTENTION!

#13 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yeah... he predicted Melky right. And as far as I can tell this is unrelated to the fake Ken Rosenhahl story:
http://www.justinjab...y-good-sources/

Same message but different in source, since the guy was right on Melky C.

#14 KempireStateOfMine

KempireStateOfMine

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

He's awesome.

Honestly I think people severely overestimate them. People were saying the same thing about Ryan Braun when Fielder left, and look at the season he had. What about Matt Kemp's 2011? Good hitters will be good hitters despite who they have hitting around them.

#15 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

I'm not overly worried about Cano. Good hitters will hit. Adrian Gonzalez was surrounded by garbage in San Diego and still went off for 30-100. Heck, Kyle Seager drove in 86 runs for Seattle in that horendous lineup.

Baseball and football are very different games. In a way, both of them are easy. Football is easy if you're crazy as hell. Baseball is easy if you've got patience. They'd both be easier for me if I were a little more crazy and a little more patient. ~ Bo Jackson

#16 Jay85

Jay85

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

WOW - Cano Fired Boras, Did he just shoot himself in his own leg with an opp to get $200/10Yrs contract from Yankees or any team, if yankees decided to lower the salary for the Luxury tax purpose.

http://espn.go.com/n...t-boras-sources

TEAM A - 10 team H2H - 6pt Td League - Record 6-2
QB - Andrew Luck WR - Mike Wallace, Brandon Marshall
RB - Jamaal Charles, Fred Jackson TE - Coby Fleener
W/T - Sammy Watkins W/R - JOnes Gray K - Justin Tucker DEF - Green Bay Packers 
BN - Mychal Rivera, Charles Sims, Knile Davis, Matt Asiata, Allen Hurns, Andrew Hawkins 

TEAM B - 12 Team H2H - 4pt Passing Td League - Record 4-4

QB - Jay Cutler WR - Odell Beckman Jr, Dez Bryant
RB - Jamaal Charles & Eddie Lacy TE - Mychal Rivera
W/T - Jones Gray  W/R - Isiah Crowell Jr  K - Matt Bryant  DEF - Kansas City/ St Louis

BN - Charles Sims, Martavis Bryant, Ronnie Hillman, Knile Davis, Andy Dalton 

#17 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

WOW - Cano Fired Boras, Did he just shoot himself in his own leg with an opp to get $200/10Yrs contract from Yankees or any team, if yankees decided to lower the salary for the Luxury tax purpose.

http://espn.go.com/n...t-boras-sources

And he hired Jay-Z! How awesome is that.

http://espn.go.com/n...ott-boras-jay-z
No one cares about my teams...

#18 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm expecting a really horrid and boring April from Cano. Then in May the Yanks should get Jeter, Granderson, and Teixeira all back at some point which should help upkick his statistics.

#19 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Had an RBI double taken away yesterday.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#20 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Had an RBI double taken away yesterday.

This. If Gomes was in left that would have been an RBI.
No Days Off