992 replies to this topic

#1 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Well, he is certainly making a case for the Braves #5 spot. In his first 3 Spring starts in 2013, Teheran has allowed 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 BB & 14 K in 9 IP. This includes a strong 4 inning performance tonight against the Tigers (a lineup that was at full capacity minus Cabrera).

He has been a long-hyped prospect who is coming off a bumpy 2012 season, but regained form at the end of the season and with a strong Winter League performance. He has carried that confidence into 2013 spring training and seems to have the support of management to get the fifth spot. He certainly doesn't have anything left to prove in 2013.

Seems like he could have some real value in deeper leagues or NL-Only leagues. What do people think about him?
No one cares about my teams...

#2 charliehustler

charliehustler

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostOrion Braun, on 07 March 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Well, he is certainly making a case for the Braves #5 spot. In his first 3 Spring starts in 2013, Teheran has allowed 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 BB & 14 K in 9 IP. This includes a strong 4 inning performance tonight against the Tigers (a lineup that was at full capacity minus Cabrera).

He has been a long-hyped prospect who is coming off a bumpy 2012 season, but regained form at the end of the season and with a strong Winter League performance. He has carried that confidence into 2013 spring training and seems to have the support of management to get the fifth spot. He certainly doesn't have anything left to prove in 2013.

Seems like he could have some real value in deeper leagues or NL-Only leagues. What do people think about him?
This is a guy I like but am keeping quiet about.   I'd guess he's going undrafted as of right now.

I heard the reason he struggled was due to messing with his delivery and the recent success is due to him switching back to the delivery he is comfortable with.   Whatever the reason, he will be my last pick.
12 team .5 PPR

QB(1) Romo Dalton
RB(2) Martin Vereen JBell Sproles DBrown
WR/TE(3) Dez Nelson Harvin Cameron Hunter Dobson
K(1)Houshka
D(1)Cardinals Saints

#3 KansasTrooper

KansasTrooper

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

If Teheran wins the 5th spot in the big league rotation, what kind of numbers would you expect with 30+ starts?  I've been very high on him since 2010 until last year.  I'm really considering him with my last pick if he cracks the rotation.

#4 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,739 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostKansasTrooper, on 08 March 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

If Teheran wins the 5th spot in the big league rotation, what kind of numbers would you expect with 30+ starts?  I've been very high on him since 2010 until last year.  I'm really considering him with my last pick if he cracks the rotation.

I dont really know where to start projecting him yet, but I expect him to win that job and I think he will do really well. i will be targeting him in all leagues.
No Days Off

#5 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,590 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

i saw him pitch last spring and his fastball was straighht and flat. in the recent highlight vid on mlb i see some nice breaking stuff, and a fastball with some tailing action at 92 mph. there's an 89mph swing and miss pitch in the dirt that might be a 2 seamer or a change, not sure. i am intrigued and would like to see him pitch more this spring.

Edited by LyondellBasell, 09 March 2013 - 08:08 AM.

12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Bautista
2B/ Gyorko
SS/
Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Cespedes, Rajai, Soler, Heyward
Utl/ Morales
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos, Tillman, Greene
RP/ Ross,
Stroman, Carrasco, Miley

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#6 TraBuch

TraBuch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostLyondellBasell, on 09 March 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

i saw him pitch last spring and his fastball was straighht and flat. in the recent highlight vid on mlb i see some nice breaking stuff, and a fastball with some tailing action at 92 mph. there's an 89mph swing and miss pitch in the dirt that might be a 2 seamer or a change, not sure. i am intrigued and would like to see him pitch more this spring.

The 92 FB you saw was his 2 seamer. His 4 seamer reaches the mid 90s, but as you saw last year, it's straight and was getting crushed.

#7 stchri

stchri

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

5 hitless innings (2 BBs) with 6 Ks today.

Welcome to the team, Julio.

#8 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

The Braves essentially cut a year of his development by trying to mess with his mechanics.  There was speculation they were concerned about future health issues, though from what I've seen from scouts, his velocity comes easily and his arm action doesn't portend future injury.

Keith Law had a piece up about him earlier this week on ESPN, which was positive as well.

Hopefully he can fly under the radar for another few weeks so I can snatch him up.  This guy was one of the best pitching prospects in baseball a few years ago...

#9 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

View Poststchri, on 12 March 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

5 hitless innings (2 BBs) with 6 Ks today.

Welcome to the team, Julio.

i sure hope he doesn't do that again before the season starts, or more importantly my auction happens.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#10 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Can this guy stay in the rotation once Beachy is healthy?  Who would he boot, Maholm or Minor?
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#11 TraBuch

TraBuch

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostJFS171, on 12 March 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

The Braves essentially cut a year of his development by trying to mess with his mechanics.  There was speculation they were concerned about future health issues, though from what I've seen from scouts, his velocity comes easily and his arm action doesn't portend future injury.

Keith Law had a piece up about him earlier this week on ESPN, which was positive as well.

Hopefully he can fly under the radar for another few weeks so I can snatch him up.  This guy was one of the best pitching prospects in baseball a few years ago...

His arm action has nothing to do with the injury concern. It's the way he lands his leg.

#12 lassetjus

lassetjus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Rotoworld daily blurb:
http://www.rotoworld...o-turning-heads

It mentions that he has developed a 2-seam fastball. I haven't heard this anywhere else. If it's true, than that could be a reason for his spring success and gives me more confidence in drafting him.

Edited by lassetjus, 13 March 2013 - 05:22 PM.

12-team H2H $$ Keeper League (4 Keepers From Round Taken, 3-Year Max Contract) (10th year in existence, 4-time Champion, 2-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Travis d'Arnaud
1B-Freddie Freeman (4)
2B-Anthony Rendon
3B-Nolan Arenado
SS-Mookie Betts
LF-Corey Dickerson
CF-Yasiel Puig (16)
RF-Jorge Soler
UTIL-Brett Gardner

SP-Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner (3), Julio Teheran, Tanner Roark, Yordano Ventura, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Yusmeiro Petit
RP-Aroldis Chapman, Glen Perkins, Trevor Rosenthal, Jenrry Mejia (SP), Ken Giles, David Carpenter

#13 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostTraBuch, on 12 March 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostJFS171, on 12 March 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

His arm action has nothing to do with the injury concern. It's the way he lands his leg.

That may be part of it. From what I had read, extensively as a Braves fan, they were concerned his mechanics would lead to future arm trouble, not leg issues.

I honestly don't remember the speifics, though. You may be right. But the concerns were related to arm issues.

#14 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

This was from the Baseball America prospect handbook on Teheran in 2012:

Teheran has an electric arm, but his delivery had some violence that the Braves wanted to iron out in order to reduce his risk of injury. In 2012, they decided to reduce the bend on his back leg during his windup. He had been turning and coiling his body to generate more momentum toward the plate, placing additional strain on his right knee and elbow. Atlanta worked with Teheran on keeping his back leg straighter in order to create a better center of balance, particularly in his core.

So we're both right - knee strain and elbow strain with the "violent" delivery. But I've seen quotes from other evaluators in chats and posts about Teheran saying they don't feel the violence is that much of a concern. That his velocity comes easily, and he's got sound arm action.

Either way - Braves quit screwing with him, and he's back to pitching like the top-5 prospect he used to be.

#15 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postlassetjus, on 13 March 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Rotoworld daily blurb:
http://www.rotoworld...o-turning-heads

It mentions that he has developed a 2-seam fastball. I haven't heard this anywhere else. If it's true, than that could be a reason for his spring success and gives me more confidence in drafting him.

AJC mentioned it here: http://m.ajc.com/new...e-sinker/nWkms/

#16 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

I read somewhere that Teheran's K rate has declined the past 3 years. What do you guys think is the reason for this? How should it affect projections for this upcoming year?
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#17 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostNYR Fan 116894, on 14 March 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

I read somewhere that Teheran's K rate has declined the past 3 years. What do you guys think is the reason for this? How should it affect projections for this upcoming year?

Read about 3 posts up...

#18 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Heyman believes Teheran will make the rotation...

@JonHeymanCBS
Julio Teheran will be in #braves rotation. super spring (.087 baa, 4 BBs, 18 Ks) ensured it. gilmartin, graham next in line

#19 natti

natti

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Beachy's absence has opened the door for right-hander Julio Teheran to move into the likely role of fifth starter. Teheran made his fifth Grapefruit League start Sunday against the Mets. Teheran entered Sunday having allowed only two runs and four hits in 14 innings of work.

"He's pitched great," Gonzalez said. "If we gotta break camp tomorrow, he's our fifth (starter). He's pitched that well. We're going to give him an opportunity, I think, barring something crazy."

it's looking like a near certainty that he's their 5th starter. had another nice game today... what's the appropriate round to select him in drafts?

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ok_atl&c_id=atl

#20 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Yep. The excellent spring continues. Just 3 hits and 2 BBs today through 6IP, to go with 7Ks. He'll be getting two more starts this spring, but I think he is as close to being a lock for the 5th spot as he could be at this point.

Folks really are raving about his performance this spring. Sounds like he is returning to the pre-2012 board that led him to be one of the top prospects in the entire MiLB. If BA, Law, etc. put out there lists again at the end of the month, I would bet Teheran is a top-25 type guy now. He can be a #2 or #3 starter and the Braves need one of those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users