Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Alex Cobb 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
318 replies to this topic

#1 gbill2004

gbill2004

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Thoughts/projections for Alex Cobb this season?
Competitive start 2 QB, 0.5 PPR, 12 team H2H deep re-draft league, all TDs = 6 pts. Roster below (starting spots in brackets):

QB (2) - Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick, Shaun Hill, Michael Vick, Johnny Manziel
RB/FLEX (2) - DeMarco Murray, Doug Martin, Zac Stacy, Jeremy Miller, Carlos Hyde, Mark Ingram, Knile Davis
WR (4) - Calvin Johnson, Alshon Jeffrey, Michael Crabtree, Victor Cruz, TY Hilton
TE (2) - Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett, Austin Seferian-Jenkins
K (2) - Shayne Graham, Steven Hauschka
DEF (2) - Cleveland, New Orleans
IDP (4) - Lavonte David, Jared Mayo, Alec Ogletree, Curtis Lofton

#2 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

Ah.... finally someone spills the beans. I was going to make a post for him, surprised that no one has yet (or talked him up as a sleeper in any of those posts). He's a guy who I am quietly targeting as an end-pick or $1-$2 auction guy, and hoping no one else notices. He could be a bargain this year, or at least for the early part of the season (unless he self-destructs during spring training or gets hurt, I think the 5th spot in the rotation is his). I'd look for a slight uptick in strikeouts from him this year.

To be honest though, I feel as if Archer holds the most upside of any of the back-end (4 and 5 guys) on the Rays' team (as far as starting pitchers who are ready or close to ready, anyway). I still cringe when I think about that Garza deal.... from the day it went down. Oh well, not to go off-topic. But he's another name to file away for draft day, as he is technically still in competition with Cobb for the 5th spot in the rotation for what it is worth. I do believe it is Cobb's to lose, and he should keep it....

I would project 10-15 wins and 150 ks if he can throw at least 170 innings this year. But I don't know how he'll hold-up or if he'll even hold onto the 5-spot (should he keep it through spring training, that is) all year.

He's an interesting flier for sure.

I am a Cubs fan and felt that the Garza deal was a really awful move (from the Cubs' standpoint), as I liked Archer a lot when the deal went down (and still do). Even though I
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#3 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,621 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

But he's another name to file away for draft day, as he is technically still in competition with Cobb for the 5th spot in the rotation for what it is worth. I do believe it is Cobb's to lose, and he should keep it

Maddon has been consistent this spring that Cobb is in the rotation as the 4th starter. The 5th spot will be between Niemann and Archer, most likely Niemann if he isn't traded. Cobb is also starting to experiment with a cutter to use to lefties. While he says it feels great and that he has great control with it, it obviously is still a new pitch and will need to be monitored closely.

Man, Nick. We need to work on your post/word efficiency. It's a bullet point world..... :lol:
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#4 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

One of my favorite late starting pitcher targets. I actually wrote about him briefly in the Jake Odorizzi thread. Cobb got a lot of press from fantasy sites prior to Spring Training, so it is kind of a surprise he hasn't seen any hype around here...it's probably because of his strikeout rate. And actually, if Cobb does not improve his swing strike rate, it is actually at risk of getting worse. But he had good strike out rates in the minors and I am hoping that it translates. But he is an above average ground ball pitcher, which helps him in the AL East.

As Patrick Bateman pointed out, Cobb is locked into the 4th spot of the rotation. But I thought the 5th spot was between Niemann, Hernandez (Carmona) and Archer. I think Odorizzi and Archer start the season at Triple A and wait for an injury/ineffectiveness.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#5 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Surprisingly though, Cobb lost one-mile per hour on his fastball last year. In 2011 he was at 91.3, last year 90.3. Also in 2011 he dominated Durham ball with a low 2 ERA and last year had an ERA above 4 at Durham. I don't know why he regressed, but I hope the trend doesn't continue. (I think he is only 24..)

Edited by David Light, 08 March 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#6 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

But he's another name to file away for draft day, as he is technically still in competition with Cobb for the 5th spot in the rotation for what it is worth. I do believe it is Cobb's to lose, and he should keep it

Maddon has been consistent this spring that Cobb is in the rotation as the 4th starter. The 5th spot will be between Niemann and Archer, most likely Niemann if he isn't traded. Cobb is also starting to experiment with a cutter to use to lefties. While he says it feels great and that he has great control with it, it obviously is still a new pitch and will need to be monitored closely.

Man, Nick. We need to work on your post/word efficiency. It's a bullet point world..... :lol:

I don't know what a Twitter is!

Good to know Cobb has the #4 and Archer has an outside chance at the #5. I really want to find a reason to stash Archer, because I think his strikeout upside could be very good (but he will experience bumps in the road with control, I'd say). I do think he's a nice name to file away for May and beyond, though.... even if he has a better shot just competing with Jeff N.

Safer pick would be Cobb then, but I like Archer's upside a lot more. And it makes me happy to see that Cobb is going to have the #4 to himself-- I swore I had read on rotoworld's main blurbs that Cobb was competing for the #5, but maybe it was an old report.

#7 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

One of my favorite late starting pitcher targets. I actually wrote about him briefly in the Jake Odorizzi thread. Cobb got a lot of press from fantasy sites prior to Spring Training, so it is kind of a surprise he hasn't seen any hype around here...it's probably because of his strikeout rate. And actually, if Cobb does not improve his swing strike rate, it is actually at risk of getting worse. But he had good strike out rates in the minors and I am hoping that it translates. But he is an above average ground ball pitcher, which helps him in the AL East.

As Patrick Bateman pointed out, Cobb is locked into the 4th spot of the rotation. But I thought the 5th spot was between Niemann, Hernandez (Carmona) and Archer. I think Odorizzi and Archer start the season at Triple A and wait for an injury/ineffectiveness.

Yeah, Odorizzi is who I was thinking of as well. I don't believe Carmona (sorry, can't think of him as Roberto Hernandez-- in my mind, Roberto Hernandez is that old guy who closed for a million years and reminded me of Jose Mesa!) is in the running at this point, but I had read a report the Rays "liked what they see" or something. I also saw he got torched, unless I'm just getting confused with another pitcher with a similar name (perhaps a farm guy on their team I am unaware of).

I would agree with you in that Archer and Odorizzi begin the year in the minors. Dunno the specifics without looking up Carmona's deal, but if he can be cut without much loss, I would think the Rays would do that... they have enough depth where they don't need a guy like him as a long-man, taking up space on the roster. Just my two cents. (If his contract is guaranteed, obviously he's going to be put in long-relief if he doesn't win the #5, but still. That was a signing I never liked.)

#8 Big Tuna

Big Tuna

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Have seen Cobb pop up on a lot of sleeper lists and seems to be having a good spring...wondering what the thoughts are out there on him?

#9 Silvertsunami

Silvertsunami

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

After today's game, Cobb's got a 1.29 ERA and an 18/1 K/BB ratio in 14 innings. Spring training... but still impressive.

#10 lassetjus

lassetjus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Have seen Cobb pop up on a lot of sleeper lists and seems to be having a good spring...wondering what the thoughts are out there on him?

Decent control, decent strikeout rate, pitches evenly against LHB and RHB, got better in the second half. But what's special about this guy is his elite ground ball rate of 59%. Of course that makes him more susceptible to BABIP, but TB has a pretty good defense. His spring performance is encouraging. Perhaps shows that he is beyond being a rookie and is ready to take the next step.

12-team H2H $$ Keeper League (4 Keepers From Round Taken, 3-Year Max Contract) (10th year in existence, 4-time Champion, 2-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Travis d'Arnaud
1B-Freddie Freeman (4)
2B-Anthony Rendon
3B-Nolan Arenado
SS-Mookie Betts
LF-Corey Dickerson
CF-Yasiel Puig (16)
RF-Jorge Soler
UTIL-Antoan Richardson

SP-Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner (3), Julio Teheran, Tanner Roark, Yordano Ventura, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Yusmeiro Petit
RP-Aroldis Chapman, Trevor Rosenthal, Jenrry Mejia, Ken Giles, Luke Gregerson, Brett Cecil

#11 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

After today's game, Cobb's got a 1.29 ERA and an 18/1 K/BB ratio in 14 innings. Spring training... but still impressive.

That K/BB ratio is very impressive even if it is spring training that stat is making him rise up my draft board.
No Days Off

#12 South Jersey Bombers

South Jersey Bombers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Surprisingly though, Cobb lost one-mile per hour on his fastball last year. In 2011 he was at 91.3, last year 90.3. Also in 2011 he dominated Durham ball with a low 2 ERA and last year had an ERA above 4 at Durham. I don't know why he regressed, but I hope the trend doesn't continue. (I think he is only 24..)

That may be the case but his walks per 9 decresed from 3.9 BB/9 to 2.6 BB/9, and his k's per 9 increased from 6.3 k/9 to 7.0 k/9....those are two big factors for me when drafting young mid-late round talent.

2014 champ, and letting my league mates know every day and every second i can.

#13 cdispoto

cdispoto

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

My projections for Cobb:

146 IP / 9 W / 3.93 ERA / 1.35 WHIP / 113 K / 6.98 Ks per 9
Subscribe to receive free fantasy baseball projections at Fantasy Baseball Forecast
http://www.fantasybaseballforecast.com

[Twitter]FBForecast[/twitter]

#14 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Buzz is increasing here - ESPN's highlighted him in a few articles, and he went for $8 (!) in my 14-team auction last night, which I thought was absurd. Sure, he could earn that, but there's no value there IMO.

Every draft is different, honestly, and someone tried to sneak him through early in the auction when everyone had a lot of money, but still...

#15 BxBOMBERs28

BxBOMBERs28

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Another very solid spring training outing for Cobb 6k's over 5 scoreles innings against the yanks... solid #4 in mixed leagues this yr?

#16 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Another very solid spring training outing for Cobb 6k's over 5 scoreles innings against the yanks... solid #4 in mixed leagues this yr?

Risky #4. More like a #6 to me, with upside sure.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#17 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Absolutely. He was a major sleeper before ST. I will reach for him if I have to.
www. drafttracker.net

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

Absolutely. He was a major sleeper before ST. I will reach for him if I have to.

Yep, I will reach as well. Great GB rate, solid Ks (with upside) lower whip.
No Days Off

#19 Runelvys Hernandez

Runelvys Hernandez

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

Buzz is increasing here - ESPN's highlighted him in a few articles, and he went for $8 (!) in my 14-team auction last night, which I thought was absurd. Sure, he could earn that, but there's no value there IMO.

Every draft is different, honestly, and someone tried to sneak him through early in the auction when everyone had a lot of money, but still...

Went for $6 in my 12 teamer too - the buzz is palpable

Baseball: 16-team 6X6 (+OPS and Losses) H2H Keeper League (5 keepers, +$3 every year kept, $275 cap, 25-man rosters, $50 FAAB/season) | Since 2004 - Champions 2007, 2009, 2012, 2014 
C: E. Gattis (11)
1B: E. Encarnacion (9)
2B: J. Rutledge (1)
3B: M. Cabrera (46)
SS: J. Peralta (11)
OF: M. Trout (10), J. Heyward (24), C. Dickerson (1)
Util: D. Ortiz (26), R. Davis (2), M. Betts (39)
Bench: M. Teixeira (1), J. Schafer (1), Y. Grandal (1)
DL: E. Cabrera ($1)
SP: F. Hernandez (39), G. Cole (30), C. Kluber (7), I. Kennedy (1), K. Lohse (2), D. Keuchel (1), J. Vargas (1)
RP: J. Papelbon (11), C. Qualls (1), S. Casilla (1), J. Petricka (1), A. Sanchez (1)
DL: H. Bailey (6)

#20 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Rays traded James Shields for Wil Meyers and a plethora of others, and will replace him with a James Shields clone who will probably put up near identical numbers as him. Rays = very smart.