2733 replies to this topic

#1 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

Its cute when players are so delusional as this...I know it only takes one team but I cant see any team willing to meet this asking price on a guy that appears to be a malcontent with issues staying on the field. Hes great when hes out there (not Megatron great though) but hes got baggage.

According to Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, Percy Harvin is targeting a deal in the range of Calvin Johnson's as opposed to Dwayne Bowe or Vincent Jackson.
Harvin considers himself a "special" player and reportedly wants $16.5 annually, which would put him right behind Megatron ($18.8M average) and ahead of Larry Fitzgerald ($16.06M). Bowe and Jackson, the NFL's third and fourth highest-paid wideouts, collect $11.2M and $11.1M per year, respectively. Per Cole, Harvin "threatened to walk out on the team" last offseason after hearing the Patriots gave Aaron Hernandez a contract extension after only two NFL seasons. "[The Vikings are] in a tough spot," one source told Cole. "If you don't take some aggressive action, this could get really bad." Harvin seems 50:50 to be a Viking in 2013.

Source: Yahoo Sports

Mar 8 - 12:32 AM

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#2 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,836 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Its cute when players are so delusional as this...I know it only takes one team but I cant see any team willing to meet this asking price on a guy that appears to be a malcontent with issues staying on the field. Hes great when hes out there (not Megatron great though) but hes got baggage.

According to Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, Percy Harvin is targeting a deal in the range of Calvin Johnson's as opposed to Dwayne Bowe or Vincent Jackson.
Harvin considers himself a "special" player and reportedly wants $16.5 annually, which would put him right behind Megatron ($18.8M average) and ahead of Larry Fitzgerald ($16.06M). Bowe and Jackson, the NFL's third and fourth highest-paid wideouts, collect $11.2M and $11.1M per year, respectively. Per Cole, Harvin "threatened to walk out on the team" last offseason after hearing the Patriots gave Aaron Hernandez a contract extension after only two NFL seasons. "[The Vikings are] in a tough spot," one source told Cole. "If you don't take some aggressive action, this could get really bad." Harvin seems 50:50 to be a Viking in 2013.

Source: Yahoo Sports
Mar 8 - 12:32 AM

Yup, he is dreaming for sure. :blink:

The Vikes hold all the cards, though - they have Harvin signed for 2013, and can franchise him for 2014. And if Harvin decides to hold out, like MJD - they will hold his rights another season if he actually sits out. So Harvin can complain all he wants, and if he wants to, he can hold out - and then the Vikes keep his rights for 2 more seasons if he actually sat out - in which case, Harvin gets $0 for 2013, and is no further along.

My bet - if the Vikes can't come to a reasonable deal with Harvin, then they will only accept a trade that gets them full value - unlike the Revis situation, the extra years of control and the relatively friendly WR franchise tag (see below) for 2014 allows them to walk away from buy-low offers from other teams.

If nothing happens on either front (extension or real-value trade offer), I'm guessing that the Vikes play out 2013, and then they hit Harvin in the 2013-14 offseason with the "non-exclusive" franchise tag that people talked about with Flacco - http://bleacherrepor...ery-position. While the top 5 WR league average is 10.5M - the tag allows the Vikes to simply pay him a 20 percent raise from his 2013 salary. And, if a team does sign Harvin, MIN gets not one, but TWO first-round picks from that team. This puts the Vikes in the driver's seat for bargaining even after 2013.

The beauty of the strategy - they get Harvin through 2013, and then they get him locked up for 2014 at reasonable market value - or some crazy team ponies up more - but then has to give MIN 2 first-round picks. The Vikes certainly could deal him before 2013 - but unlike Revis, the Vikes have a lot more leverage to get full value for Harvin. Either way, it's all PR on Harvin's camp at this stage.
  • StuPitt, ipg46 and Ryan81 like this

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#3 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

My bet is that he is on a different team this offseason.

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs(4-2, 1st place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB2: Reggie Bush
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Mohammed Sanu
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Jeremy Hill, Pierre Thomas, Antone Smith, Travaris Cadet, James Starks, Eric Ebron

#4 griffin727

griffin727

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Its a shame if he ends up leaving. When Harvin and Peterson are both healthy and on the field the Vikings may be the most fun team to watch.

#5 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Harvin is a special player, I don't think there's a single WR in the league that is as versatile as he is and is exceptional at each role.

However....

He shouldn't be paid Tron/Fitz money simply based on his attitude let alone that he isn't as dominant as those two. Some team will probably pay him VJax/Bowe $$ though, heck the Vikes should.
  • My Dinner With Andre likes this

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***
Record: 2-4

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Julio Jones (2.09)
WR2: Roddy White
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#6 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

I think he's a top 5 WR and should get something between Fitz/Bowe. He probably is the most versatile offensive player in the league and i would kill for the Giants to work out some kind of sign and trade deal with Cruz for Harvin.

but the only WR worth Megatron money is Megatron, and Harvin's little diva rants aren't helping.

#7 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

In my humble opinion, almost every single athlete is delusional...especially WRs. Some just hide it better...Percy is just more vocal about it. He could easily make a case he is a top 3/4 talent at WR so he wants to get paid accordingly.....He is not Calvin...nobody is....but I would take him in a heartbeat over VJAX or Bowe. I am not sure if he just hates the Vikings or he just hates the world but none of this is the least bit of a concern for his fantasy value. He will be playing somewhere next year and no matter where that is, he will be a stud. He is almost QB proof since he can run out of the backfield and excels at the short routes. So if this gets him to drop the slightest in drafts, I will own him in every single league I am in. Many of the greatest WRs ever had major issues....Owens, Moss, Irvin, Harrison, ect.. So the more this guy acts a fool, the more I am buying...as long as it doesn't lead to a suspension or holdout, I could careless what he demands or what he does.

#8 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

I think this is also about him wanting to play with a better QB, probably 90% $$, 10% crap, I have Ponder throwing it to me and I could be even better if I had an elite QB running the offense.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***
Record: 2-4

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Julio Jones (2.09)
WR2: Roddy White
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#9 italyjg21

italyjg21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

If the vikings won't pay him 16.5 mil, what makes you think any other team would? What if he tests the open market and gets the same offer as Vikings are willing to give him, or less. What happens then?

#10 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

According to Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole, Percy Harvin is targeting a deal in the range of Calvin Johnson's as opposed to Dwayne Bowe or Vincent Jackson. Harvin considers himself a "special" player and reportedly wants $16.5 annually, which would put him right behind Megatron ($18.8M average) and ahead of Larry Fitzgerald ($16.06M). Bowe and Jackson, the NFL's third and fourth highest-paid wideouts, collect $11.2M and $11.1M per year, respectively. Per Cole, Harvin "threatened to walk out on the team" last offseason after hearing the Patriots gave Aaron Hernandez a contract extension after only two NFL seasons. "[The Vikings are] in a tough spot," one source told Cole. "If you don't take some aggressive action, this could get really bad." Harvin seems 50:50 to be a Viking in 2013. Source: Yahoo Sports Mar 8 - 12:32 AM

Yup, he is dreaming for sure. :blink:

The Vikes hold all the cards, though - they have Harvin signed for 2013, and can franchise him for 2014. And if Harvin decides to hold out, like MJD - they will hold his rights another season if he actually sits out. So Harvin can complain all he wants, and if he wants to, he can hold out - and then the Vikes keep his rights for 2 more seasons if he actually sat out - in which case, Harvin gets $0 for 2013, and is no further along. My bet - if the Vikes can't come to a reasonable deal with Harvin, then they will only accept a trade that gets them full value - unlike the Revis situation, the extra years of control and the relatively friendly WR franchise tag (see below) for 2014 allows them to walk away from buy-low offers from other teams.

If nothing happens on either front (extension or real-value trade offer), I'm guessing that the Vikes play out 2013, and then they hit Harvin in the 2013-14 offseason with the "non-exclusive" franchise tag that people talked about with Flacco - http://bleacherrepor...ery-position. While the top 5 WR league average is 10.5M - the tag allows the Vikes to simply pay him a 20 percent raise from his 2013 salary. And, if a team does sign Harvin, MIN gets not one, but TWO first-round picks from that team. This puts the Vikes in the driver's seat for bargaining even after 2013.

The beauty of the strategy - they get Harvin through 2013, and then they get him locked up for 2014 at reasonable market value - or some crazy team ponies up more - but then has to give MIN 2 first-round picks. The Vikes certainly could deal him before 2013 - but unlike Revis, the Vikes have a lot more leverage to get full value for Harvin. Either way, it's all PR on Harvin's camp at this stage.

I agree with this all. We all talk about the malcontent aspect, but he is also injury prone.

My bet is that he is on a different team this offseason.

What is the incentive for the Vikings to get rid of him now? It was reported all the Vkings could get for him is a third round. If they hold onto him as the poster above says they can get 2 First Round Picks for him. The Vikings hold the control here.

Also, the Vikings have ONE WR other than Harvin signed for next year (Wright). They still need WRs. Trading him only hurts the team. They sign Wallace they still only have two WRs.

Also, all that talk about Harvin being an elite WR.....why is Minnesota than considered to be weak at WR. It is debatable if he is even a #1 WR. Seems like a complimentary WR guy to me...a great compliment but still a compliment.

If I am the Vikings I sign Wallace and hope to pair him with Harvin. The two together could be the next Randy Moss/Cris Carter. Throw in AP. Ponder will be a better QB. Wallace is also the insurance that keeps the Vikings safe should Harvin pull some Shennagins.

Why is Harvin so unhappy. Chill dude....things look good for the Vikings future.

12 Team Redraft PPR League (QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, TE, FLEX, K, DEF)
QB Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
RB Alfred Morris, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas, Matt Asiata, Knile Davis, Jerrick McKinnon, Ryan Mathews, Ronnie Hillman
WR AJ Green, Marques Colston, Terrence Williams
TE Owen Daniels
K Matt Bryant

DEF Houston

#11 pfresh

pfresh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Read an article about the vikings being one of the top suitors for Mike wallace since Harvin wants megatron money.

If harvin is not signed by the vikings, AP's value sky rockets big time.

Harvin took away alot of AP's value at the beginning of the year before AP exploded during Harvin's injury.

Harvin is a versatile dude. Wherever he goes, he will do some damage that's for sure.

NFL 2014 12-Team League    9th pick Overall Redraft     Record: 4-2        Going for the 3-Peat.. Going to be hard
QB: Aaron Rodgers
WR1: Vincent Jackson         WR2: Julian Edelman            WR3: Kelvin Benjamin
RB1: Demarco Murray          RB2: Zac Stacy
TE: Vernon Davis                      Defense: San Francisco         Kicker: Matt Prater
Bench: Anquan Boldin, Mark Ingram, Matt Asiata, Owen Daniels, Branden Oliver, Justin Hunter
NFL 2014 10-Team League    3rd pick Overall Redraft      Record: 3-3       Going for the Repeat
QB: Matt Ryan
WR1: Keenan Allen                  WR2: Victor Cruz  Emmanuel Sanders     WR3: Wes Welker   OBJ

RB1: Jamaal Charles              RB2: Montee Ball
TE: Greg Olsen                         Defense: Philadelphia                Kicker: Matt Prater
Bench: Ray Rice, Josh Gordon, Knowshon Moreno, Ronnie Hillman, Branden Oliver, Torrey Smith, Ryan Tannehill

#12 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Read an article about the vikings being one of the top suitors for Mike wallace since Harvin wants megatron money.

If harvin is not signed by the vikings, AP's value sky rockets big time.

Harvin took away alot of AP's value at the beginning of the year before AP exploded during Harvin's injury.

Harvin is a versatile dude. Wherever he goes, he will do some damage that's for sure.

APs value cannot skyrocket from where it already is. I love the guy but he has had the best season he will ever have.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#13 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

losing the best only receiver on the team is not making Peterson's value skyrocket.

Edited by rraayy3, 08 March 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#14 pfresh

pfresh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

losing the best only receiver on the team is not making Peterson's value skyrocket.

after harvin's injury, ap's touches, yardages, and touchdowns all went up. (value skyrocketed when harvin went out)

so if harvin was not injured, ap would have still ran wild and almost beat the record for most yards in a season?

if mike wallace were to join the team, Ap's value again goes up since Harvin will not be there to steal any rushing tds and rushes (as mike wallace will not steal any rushes away from AP)

Edited by pfresh, 08 March 2013 - 07:07 PM.

NFL 2014 12-Team League    9th pick Overall Redraft     Record: 4-2        Going for the 3-Peat.. Going to be hard
QB: Aaron Rodgers
WR1: Vincent Jackson         WR2: Julian Edelman            WR3: Kelvin Benjamin
RB1: Demarco Murray          RB2: Zac Stacy
TE: Vernon Davis                      Defense: San Francisco         Kicker: Matt Prater
Bench: Anquan Boldin, Mark Ingram, Matt Asiata, Owen Daniels, Branden Oliver, Justin Hunter
NFL 2014 10-Team League    3rd pick Overall Redraft      Record: 3-3       Going for the Repeat
QB: Matt Ryan
WR1: Keenan Allen                  WR2: Victor Cruz  Emmanuel Sanders     WR3: Wes Welker   OBJ

RB1: Jamaal Charles              RB2: Montee Ball
TE: Greg Olsen                         Defense: Philadelphia                Kicker: Matt Prater
Bench: Ray Rice, Josh Gordon, Knowshon Moreno, Ronnie Hillman, Branden Oliver, Torrey Smith, Ryan Tannehill

#15 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

after harvin's injury, ap's touches, yardages, and touchdowns all went up. (value skyrocketed when harvin went out)

so if harvin was not injured, ap would have still ran wild and almost beat the record for most yards in a season?

if mike wallace were to join the team, Ap's value again goes up since Harvin will not be there to steal any rushing tds and rushes (as mike wallace will not steal any rushes away from AP)

No,his value will not go up. It's as high as it willever be. Do you really think he will surpass last seasons production no matter who Is or isn't there?
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#16 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Peterson had more receptions per game in the games Harvin was actually active in 2012. And averaged over 20 carries per game with Harvin active.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume his production improved in the second half because his knee was progressively getting better rather than Harvin being out of the lineup. Harvin stole approximately 2 carries per game in 2012.

Not to mention losing a talent like Harvin would make the offense much less potent.

And AP is not getting any more than the ~390 touches he saw in 2012.

Edited by rraayy3, 08 March 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#17 fredth3cat

fredth3cat

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

The guy was in the running for "best player in the league" by a lot of people early last season -- why doesn't he deserve more money?

#18 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

I think it had more to do with AP not being 100% at the beginning of the season. As AP's leg started feeling better he started performing. It had nothing to do with Harvin making him worse.

12 Team Redraft PPR League (QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, TE, FLEX, K, DEF)
QB Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
RB Alfred Morris, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas, Matt Asiata, Knile Davis, Jerrick McKinnon, Ryan Mathews, Ronnie Hillman
WR AJ Green, Marques Colston, Terrence Williams
TE Owen Daniels
K Matt Bryant

DEF Houston

#19 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

I think he's a top 5 WR and should get something between Fitz/Bowe. He probably is the most versatile offensive player in the league and i would kill for the Giants to work out some kind of sign and trade deal with Cruz for Harvin.

but the only WR worth Megatron money is Megatron, and Harvin's little diva rants aren't helping.

Swap Harvin for Cruz, love that idea... I get this feeling that Cruz has already peaked.

Somehow, I feel like the 49ers could step up and offer some draft picks to the Vikings for Harvin.
He might the missing piece on offense... Davis, Crabtree, and Harvin? Solid.
This post is rated "G".

#20 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Harvin on the 9ers is not fair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users