Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Everything Points LeaguesI can't find much on it

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Murphzilla

Murphzilla

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I play in a points league and there really seems to be a lack of material on it, leading all the rankings to be skewed.

Post any points league thoughts, strategies, resources here etc..

#2 mkcatl

mkcatl

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostMurphzilla, on 08 March 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I play in a points league and there really seems to be a lack of material on it, leading all the rankings to be skewed.

The reason you can't find anything on them, is cause there all different.  I don't think there is a set amount of pts given for each category like football.
----------------
12 team pts league Keepers:

J. Montero, I. Davis, D. Pedroia, J. Reyes, M. Cabrera
J. Upton, J. Bruce, A. Craig, V. Martinez

M. Bumgarner, K. Medlen, J. Zimmerman, A. Sanchez, J. Niese
J. Nathan, G. Perkins, B. League

Bench:
M. Moustakas, B. Gardner, A. Eaton, J. Gyorko, D.Viciedo, O. Taveras
A. Cashner, J. Garcia, M. Garza, C. Luebke

#3 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

I played in one last year, not a fan of them. I would overdraft pitching, it seems in points leagues, you can do fine w/ a stud rotation and just an OK lineup.

#4 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, I look for high doubles/triples hitters. A guy like Alex Gordon, who will hit 40 doubles (80 points, in theory), is much more valuable than a guy like Bourn, who will steal 50 bases (50 points, in theory). Guys with high BB rates also help, e.g. Bautista.
No one cares about my teams...

#5 v0dka

v0dka

Beer & Football

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostOrion Braun, on 08 March 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Yeah, I look for high doubles/triples hitters. A guy like Alex Gordon, who will hit 40 doubles (80 points, in theory), is much more valuable than a guy like Bourn, who will steal 50 bases (50 points, in theory). Guys with high BB rates also help, e.g. Bautista.

Every points league I've ever played in stolen bases are worth 2 points, not 1. I've never played in a points league that awards only 1 point for a stolen base.

Points leagues usually over value wins and losses. If wins and losses are a counted statistic, I think it goes without saying that you want to target pitchers on decent offenses. You'll also want to target high strikout pitchers if you're awarded extra points for K's.

I played in one last year, not a fan of them. I would overdraft pitching, it seems in points leagues, you can do fine w/ a stud rotation and just an OK lineup.

I usually do the exact opposite as you can stream a juicy match up off the waiver wire (ie. Mike Leake vs. Pittsburgh Pirates) and he can score just as many points as a Josh Johnson vs. a better team.
@mikebaileynfl

#6 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Echoing previous thoughts, high OBP players are the prizes in these points leagues. That gives you a value that recognizes guys who hit for a lot of extra-base power but don't hit HR's, like the aforementioned Alex Gordon. Do be aware if your specific format penalizes K's for hitters, it devalues the Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunns and BJ Uptons of the world.
As far as pitching, if there's no penalty for losses or if you're not scored on Net Wins, then 2 start pitchers are a must, stream them every chance you get focusing on their matchups.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#7 astarlist

astarlist

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Agreed on high OBP players. Players that K a lot are also bad. In my league starters are notoriously more valuable, as is the case for any points league that counts IP. Even mediocre starters are pretty valuable. Also, I have trouble finding a reason to roster relief pitchers, unless saves were like 30 points.
12 team dynasty h2h points league
C C. Santana
1b Trumbo
2b Kipnis, Prado
ss Bogaerts
3b Zimmerman
MI Rutledge
CI Sandoval
OF Choo, Gardner, Fowler, M. Brantley
Util Belt,
BN G. Polanco, Buxton

P Minor, Moore, Salazar, Kennedy, Archer, Yordano, Z. Wheeler, Erasmo Ramirez, T. Walker, Duffy, Bundy, Heaney

#8 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

Yeah stack pitchers for more double start weeks.  Also don't neglect run production R and RBI.  As well as keep BB's and K's in mind, K's will cost you in most points leagues.

#9 trojans888

trojans888

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:13 AM

I'd be interested in what % of leagues are points.  These leagues get little to no attention yet I imagine it would be surprising how high the % of leagues they are.

My main league is a points one.  15 teams.  It's all play.  So if you have the top score for the week you go 14-0.  3rd place?  12-2.  Etc.

Every week is a horse race where you are fighting for position come the weekend.  I'm sure we all have our favorite format but I can't imagine one that is as exciting on a week to week basis.  Watching the box scores Sunday afternoon is just a blast.

#10 trojans888

trojans888

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

The fantasy pros 911 podcast is the only one with a clue as to handle points leagues.  Well at least one of the hosts gets it.  Most of the info out there addresses the drastic differences in ADP for points leagues yet offer no strategy nor adjustments.  Their is very little out there to go off of.  As has been mentioned points league are so much less standardized compared to roto.

#11 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

It's likely you'll have to acquire a draft guide (Rotoworld's does if I recall) that will allow you to customize player values based on your league's particular scoring. Or if you're so inclined you could write a small Excel program and customize them yourself.
Again just in general you'll want to focus on high OBP players, and adjust up or down based on what your league gives bonuses or penalties for.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#12 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,953 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'd lean heavy on pitching especially if there is an inning cap.  Pitching categories require significantly less samples and you typically don't need to carry as many pitchers.

For hitters, I'd rank them by OPS.  Typically you get points for getting on base, XBH, etc. and categories like SBs are not nearly as valuable.
www. drafttracker.net