Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Oakland Raiders 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 italyjg21

italyjg21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

Okay, I'm going to start this thread off with a wild possibility, that probably won't happen, but should. I like to see bad teams become good, and compete.. Change things up a bit. The raiders have a lot of talent, but are missing some key players, this is what I think they SHOULD do.

1. Upgrade your defense a little bit. Like the Pats did, when they Talib, they were able to move other players around to better suits, and scratch the really bad players. Do that by bringing two old players back home. Go grab Nnamdi, and Chuck Woodson. I know this would be kind of costly, but they have the cap space, and can make it either way.

2. You have a lot of good offensive weapons. McFadden has a lot of talent obviously, just needs to stay healthy, but even so they have Marcel Reece, who showed a lot last year. You have some good WR's with DHB, and Moore, and a good TE with Brandon Myers. Go out and grab Danny Amendola. I know they already have a lot of speed receivers, but they could run some interesting plays, and would make it easier for any QB to make some throws.

3. Word on the block is they are probably releasing Carson Palmer. Go grab Matt Flynn. He has a lot of talent, and wouldn't cost much to get. With some decent receivers, Matt Flynn could be a solid quarter back.

So obviously there is a lot to do, but it wouldn't be THAT hard, and if not Amendola, maybe grab another receiver. With those moves, it could easily put them in contention.

#2 italyjg21

italyjg21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

Now before anyone says "They have to cut Palmer because they are over the cap". No, that's not true. They are under the cap, but not by too much.

"There has only been three moves made this offseason and the Raiders are already an estimated $6.5 million under the cap. Those moves were voiding Richard Seymour's contract, restructuring Mike Brisiel's contract, and extending Tyvon Branch's contract. None of those moves were even among the most expected."

So with just 3 moves and more that could be made they are 6.5 under, with cutting Palmer, that's another 13 making it 19.5 under, which is a good start. But like I said, there are some other moves they could do to cut it, easily.

#3 Robrain

Robrain

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,016 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

Honestly, if you're going to release Carson Palmer, I'm not sure Matt Flynn is necessarily a better option than Pryor. Not saying that Flynn's a worse option either, just...he's definitely not a semi-proven QB like Palmer is. As in, Flynn's never locked up an actual starting gig, even in free agency last offseason.

I'm quite curious about Flynn's potential myself in a true passing offense, but I think Pryor and his athleticism might be a better fit for this "speed" Raiders offense. I think they definitely need to see for sure if they can't take advantage of Pryor's skillset before they turn the page on him for a QB like Flynn who might at worst be a bust or merely a stopgap.

And if they lose Meyers, that makes one less solid receiver on the field for Flynn to throw to.

I'd really like for them to run their offense almost a little bit like the Ravens, if possible. Do whatever they have to do make a dominant offensive line for McFadden to run behind, aggressively utilize the run game, and have two or three receivers on the field at all times that can blow the top off the defense. Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford (assuming his foot rehabs back to 100%) could be #2 and #3, situational deep threats similar to Torrey Smith.

DHB I'm honestly just not sold on, and never have been. He's inconsistent at best, and at worst, they need to simply cut him, and thus, cut their losses instead of dragging it out and still coming to the same conclusion - he's a weak #2 WR, not a #1 WR. Focus on finding a true #1 WR, a tall playmaker of your Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall variety.

Heck, I'd honestly be all for it if they replaced DHB on the cheap with Ramses Barden. Seriously.

While Barden might not yet be a true #1 WR (and non-believers will definitely argue that he never will be), he (or another WR like him) would give that offense a distinct height advantage somewhere on the field.

Their other problem if they want to have a legitimate passing attack that defenses have to worry about stopping all threats on the field simultaneously, is TE. Brandon Meyers seems ready to walk and sign with the highest bidder after having a pretty solid season. Before that, they let Zach Miller go as well. They can't keep letting solid players on their offense walk out the door. They need to get some consistency at QB and at TE.

Meyers is/was 6'4". That's not really a big concern if he does leave, because most athletic pass-catching TE's are at least 6'4" (usually ~6'5", sometimes even 6'6" or 6'7"). BUT, if he does leave, they NEED to find a good TE to replace him, whether in the draft or signing one. If they replace him with some middling talent, that's only going to expose their passing game (which is on crutches right now) as Denarius Moore will get blanketed constantly. Take away Moore and there's not a whole lot left in their passing game besides dumping the ball off to McFadden every single play, as they found out in Week 1 of the 2012 season.

Jacoby Ford is tentatively a good option for the 3rd WR spot / slot. An extra burner on the offense is never a bad thing, but that depends entirely on him getting over his seemingly chronic foot problems. Let's say he's the WR equivalent of Ahmad Bradshaw at this point. You can't count on him to be healthy for the whole season, which means you need someone else that can step into that 3rd WR role and play effectively. I think Rod Streater can probably do fine in that role, so that's probably covered.

Denarius Moore would be a lot more unstoppable if defenses couldn't simply concentrate on just him and McFadden. He needs to have a quality #1 WR opposite him on the field in order to maximize his usefulness for the offense. If you force the defense to cover him 1-on-1, you're going to win that matchup a LOT.

But, too many straight-line burners makes the offense 1 dimensional. You need to still be able to effectively utilize the underneath routes, the red-zone pass packages. Defenses will be able to key on McFadden, he can't get the dumpoff every single time.

That responsibility is best divided between your tall TE, your tall #1 WR, your fast/speedster slot / 3rd WR, and your pass-catching RB (McFadden's playmaking ability means he can fit that role, just like Steven Jackson can, even though they're no Jahvid Best / Darren Sproles). Being able to spread your short-yardage passes out between multiple targets on a regular basis means your offense has a better chance of maintaining it's momentum while moving down the field.

I think a good example of this is the Lion's offense. When Megatron, Titus Young, Ryan Broyles, Brandon Pettigrew, and Tony Scheffler were all on the field, on the same page, it was impossible for the defense to blanket cover all of them. And that's without any real running game, or Jahvid Best last season. Megatron will that #1 tall WR role, obviously, Young/Broyles are the speedster/short yardage slot WR's, Pettigrew/Scheffler take care of the large TE roles, and Best was the pass-catching RB. That's essentially a great recipe for a dominant passing attack.

Now imagine if the Lion's had Darren McFadden for their running game.

The Raiders need to realize that they have a lot of good pieces on the offense, but they need to stop half-assing it. Finish putting the puzzle together.

1) Replace DHB with a tall, true #1 WR. Heck, even a budget tall WR would probably be an upgrade over DHB. Guy reminds me of Roy Williams. Sign/trade for a WR like Danario Alexander, Malcom Floyd, Ramses Barden, whatever it takes. At least it will make your passing game a little less one-dimensional.
2) Figure out what you're doing at QB. Either keep Carson Palmer and play to his strengths, or truly kick the tires on Pryor and play to his strengths. But make up your mind and really go at it. If it doesn't work, then you know you've got to find another QB for the future.
3) Fix your offensive line / scheme so that McFadden can get some running room and Palmer/whoever at QB doesn't get killed and turn your passing plays into wasted downs.

I think just doing #1 and #3 would probably go a long ways towards fixing the offense. #2 is important, but it's not really a hard thing to do in my eyes. You either keep Carson for 2013, or you release him and name Pryor the QB and prep the hell out of him and ride him for the season and see what comes out. Tebow did awesome things, Joe Webb has done awesome things in limited use, Kaepernick has done awesome things, RGIII has done awesome things. There's a lot to be said about QB's that can do more than simply pass the ball. Pryor needs to have a legit chance to prove whether or not he's capable of doing that on a regular basis in the NFL.

2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. RB - Adrian Peterson......(01.03)
WR1: Malcom Floyd...........(14.14)............. RB - Matt Asiata..........(UD.FA)
WR2: Eddie Royal............(UD.FA)............. RB - Juwan Thompson.......(16.12)
RB1: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. RB - Damien Williams......(16.10)
RB2: Eddie Lacy.............(01.05)............. RB - LaMichael James......(UD.FA)
FLEX1: RB Branden Oliver....(UD.FA)............. TE - Austin Sef-Jenkins...(UD.FA)
FLEX2: RB Steven Jackson....(04.02)............. WR - Donte Moncrief.......(UD.FA)
TE : Travis Kelce...........(15.12)............. WR/IR Marquess Wilson.....(UD.FA)

#4 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

I think the Raiders are going to do something very Raider-like with the #3 pick. Either reach for a QB like Geno Smith 3rd overall or the Ghost of Al Davis is going to draft whichever WR ran the fastest time at the Combine.

#5 Robrain

Robrain

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,016 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

I applaud this team dropping DHB, just like I did in Madden when I took over the franchise (wanted my team to have black and grey uniforms so I had to take over the Raiders to make that happen).

2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. RB - Adrian Peterson......(01.03)
WR1: Malcom Floyd...........(14.14)............. RB - Matt Asiata..........(UD.FA)
WR2: Eddie Royal............(UD.FA)............. RB - Juwan Thompson.......(16.12)
RB1: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. RB - Damien Williams......(16.10)
RB2: Eddie Lacy.............(01.05)............. RB - LaMichael James......(UD.FA)
FLEX1: RB Branden Oliver....(UD.FA)............. TE - Austin Sef-Jenkins...(UD.FA)
FLEX2: RB Steven Jackson....(04.02)............. WR - Donte Moncrief.......(UD.FA)
TE : Travis Kelce...........(15.12)............. WR/IR Marquess Wilson.....(UD.FA)

#6 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Sports betters have the over/under at 5 1/2 wins. Is it just me or does the under there seem like a great bet? Seems like easy money.

#7 DLG10

DLG10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

Damn....and I thought the jags sucked.

#8 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

The Chargers, Raiders and Jets look to be in the #1 pick sweepstakes at this stage. :blink:

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#9 jtaylor39

jtaylor39

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

The Chargers, Raiders and Jets look to be in the #1 pick sweepstakes at this stage. :blink:

Raiders all the way.

Go Rays!
NABL 12 team ppr $$ League
2011 Champion
2012 3rd Place
2013 2nd Place

FFAH League
2009, 2010, 2011 Champion

I cash checks.

#10 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

The Raiders have an outside chance to go 0-16.

Their defense is a joke, probably the worst QB talent in the league, and the worst o-line in NFL history.

#11 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,897 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Chargers vs. Raiders x 2 = #1 pick sweepstakes implications. Also, their best chance to avoid the 0 win stigma (both teams are incredibly brutal O-line wise - I guess SD has a decent D, and Rivers > OAK QB, but really, the margin is pretty small - and I say this with my brother as a huge Bolts fan).

Must see TV. :lol:

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#12 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

Is the early front runner to beat out the Jags for #1 overall pick.

#13 Al.Davis

Al.Davis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm going to be drinking a lot this season.

#14 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Any chance Pryor starts the season as their Starting QB? He just ran for a 25 yard TD and has more throwing yards than flynn after one or two drives. Any chance? Any hope for us raider nation?

#15 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

DMC with a hurt shoulder...which means nothing because as one user here put it, they'll be down 2/3 TDs at half time each and every game....
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#16 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

From everything I've read and seen, Pryor is not an NFL QB. He's still a million times over a better option than Fylnn. You factor in the worst offensive line in NFL history, a mobile QB makes even more sense than a sitting duck like Fylnn. Plus Pryor can at least threaten the defense downfield.

#17 Texansfan

Texansfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner for the streaming defense opponent of the season!

#18 Michael Bluth

Michael Bluth

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

drafted indy D. just for week 1 and got a lot of weird looks in the room. ill be the one laughing soon...

#19 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Oakland Raiders outlook is making me want to choose Jamaal Charles #2 overall.

5th seed for playoffs, #2 in points

12-team PPR; 4pt passing TDs, 2 Flex Spots and no kicker (HIGH FIVE):

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Jeremy Hill
RB: BOOM Herron
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: TY Hilton
Flex: DeAndre Hopkins
Flex: Harry Douglas
TE: Super Smash Rob Gronkowski
Def: Ravens @MIA

Bench:
Russell Wilson, Rashad Jennings, James Starks, Kenny Stills, Donte Moncreif, Eagles D/ST

#20 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

Oakland Raiders outlook is making me want to choose Jamaal Charles #2 overall.

And the KC Def with 2 games vs Oak and SD