Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Ryan Ludwick 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 Big Tuna

Big Tuna

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Nice return for a wire guy....still in a good ballpark while adding Choo to the lineup as well....can he have another good year for cheap?

#2 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

I picked him off the wire as he wasn't taken in the Yahoo autodraft I had a couple of weeks ago. I think he has another good season.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#3 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

I picked him off the wire as he wasn't taken in the Yahoo autodraft I had a couple of weeks ago. I think he has another good season.

He is one of my late targets. Have a strong 2nd half in 2012 and is slated to hit cleanup in a stacked Reds lineup. I got him today as my #5 OF for $1 in our 12 team auction (start 5 OFs). If healthy he should produce

#4 freevick

freevick

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:33 AM

the guy is like 35 now? guy has regression written all over him. add hamilton into the mix and i dont like what i see.

there should be better long term solutions out there

#5 cardinalsfan85

cardinalsfan85

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

the guy is like 35 now? guy has regression written all over him. add hamilton into the mix and i dont like what i see.

there should be better long term solutions out there

Do not overlook Ludwick. Just because he's turning 35 this season, doesn't mean there isn't huge value here.

As much as people want to see Billy Hamilton, the Reds don't need him yet. Their lineup is stacked and Hamilton would be stuck at the bottom of the order. Sure he'd be an upgrade on defense, but the Reds aren't going to force a move that doesn't need to be made.

Ludwick's job is secure, as long as he is hitting. He's also not a defensive liability. He'll most likely be hitting 4th or 6th. Their lineup should be Choo, Phillips, Votto, Ludwick, Bruce, Frazier, Cozart, and Hanigan.

Ludwick could be the cheapest 25 homers you get this season. He will cost you nothing, thanks to people thinking he is too old.

#6 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Assuming he sticks in the cleanup role, Ludwick will hit with a guy on base in roughly 50% of his PA's.

It's a recipe for LOTS of cheap RBI's.

#7 crazybob60

crazybob60

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Ludwick will have a season similar to what he had last season. Mostly productive and hit HR's. He will pickup quite a few more RBI's too since he will have a healthy Votto in front of him now. He will have a few cold stretches that will frustrate owners, but patience here and it will pay off in the end.

Hamilton won't be in the picture prob til the end of season or beginning of next year, Billy is still learning his position and plus they have Choo to play.
14 Team League, H2H, Points Based System (Daily Lineup Changes)
Can Roster 10 SP's, Max 2 SP pickups per week

C: Travis d'Arnaud
1B: Freddie Freeman
2B: Brandon Phillips
SS: Jordy Mercer
3B: David Wright
IF: Mark Teixeira
OF: Giancarlo Stanton, Melky Cabrera, Josh Hamilton, Christian Yelich
DH: Mike Napoli, Martin Prado
BN: Derek Jeter
DL: Troy Tulowitzki

SP: Clayton Kershaw, Travis Wood, Aaron Harang, Tim Hudson, AJ Burnett, Wei-Yin Chen, Jeremy Hellickson, Alfredo Simon, Ricky Nolasco, T.J. House
RP: Aroldis Chapman, Huston Street, Santiago Casilla
DL: Yu Darvish

#8 bigge2win

bigge2win

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I didn't realize that he's projected to hit cleanup. He should have a good chance to return similar value to Nick Swisher and Hunter Pence last year with upside for Josh Willingham's line. He's currently ranked 285 on Yahoo. What a hidden gem.

Edited by bigge2win, 23 March 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#9 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

I didn't realize that he's projected to hit cleanup. He should have a good chance to return similar value to Nick Swisher and Hunter Pence last year with upside for Josh Willingham's line. He's currently ranked 285 on Yahoo. What a hidden gem.

Went undrafted in my Yahoo draft...I added him a few weeks ago. ;)
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#10 Big Tuna

Big Tuna

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

$2 in my roto draft....great value!

#11 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Advanced to 3rd on a wild pitch and then got pinch ran for in the 3rd inning...could be hurt.

2014 12 team 5x5 H2H League - Runner up!

2014 14 team 0.5 PPR League

QB - Rodgers

RB - Bradshaw, Tate, Asiata, Vereen, SJAX, Pierce, Rainey

WR - Julio, Steve "Ice Up, Son!" Smith, Boldin

TE - Kelce, Miller

K - Parker

DEF - Stream City

#12 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Is this guy injured already?

#13 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hurt his shoulder sliding head-first into third base. Got yanked and is not looking good.

#14 whips02

whips02

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,597 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

He is hurt. Injured sliding head first into 3rd. Immediate pain and was replaced by Heisy.

It is his throwing shoulder.

#15 LarryChip10

LarryChip10

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hurt his shoulder sliding head-first into third base. Got yanked and is not looking good.

His right arm was hanging down like a wet noodle when he walked off, you can tell by his face he's worried.
"I think Chipper Jones is not human. I think he's been created by Ted Turner and some scientists"

-Lenny Dykstra on Chipper

#16 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hopefully nothing serious. Could produce big in that line-up...

2014 12 team 5x5 H2H League - Runner up!

2014 14 team 0.5 PPR League

QB - Rodgers

RB - Bradshaw, Tate, Asiata, Vereen, SJAX, Pierce, Rainey

WR - Julio, Steve "Ice Up, Son!" Smith, Boldin

TE - Kelce, Miller

K - Parker

DEF - Stream City

#17 crazybob60

crazybob60

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hopefully its not a rotator cuff or anything like that that could be a season ender.

Possibly a dislocated shoulder that could cost him a few weeks.

Hoping and praying for the best here.
14 Team League, H2H, Points Based System (Daily Lineup Changes)
Can Roster 10 SP's, Max 2 SP pickups per week

C: Travis d'Arnaud
1B: Freddie Freeman
2B: Brandon Phillips
SS: Jordy Mercer
3B: David Wright
IF: Mark Teixeira
OF: Giancarlo Stanton, Melky Cabrera, Josh Hamilton, Christian Yelich
DH: Mike Napoli, Martin Prado
BN: Derek Jeter
DL: Troy Tulowitzki

SP: Clayton Kershaw, Travis Wood, Aaron Harang, Tim Hudson, AJ Burnett, Wei-Yin Chen, Jeremy Hellickson, Alfredo Simon, Ricky Nolasco, T.J. House
RP: Aroldis Chapman, Huston Street, Santiago Casilla
DL: Yu Darvish

#18 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Dang it. My late round sleeper OF. Have him as my 5th starting OFer in 2 of 3 leagues. Not like I had a lot invested with Ludwick but he was in the ideal situation batting cleanup in the loaded Reds lineup at GABP

#19 freevick

freevick

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hopefully its not a rotator cuff or anything like that that could be a season ender.

Possibly a dislocated shoulder that could cost him a few weeks.

Hoping and praying for the best here.

BILLY HAMILTON TIME?

#20 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Dang it. My late round sleeper OF. Have him as my 5th starting OFer in 2 of 3 leagues. Not like I had a lot invested with Ludwick but he was in the ideal situation batting cleanup in the loaded Reds lineup at GABP

Just added him yesterday for the same reasons. This will hurt the Reds lineup even if they call up Hamilton. Hard to replace your clean up hitter with a speed guy.