Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Rajai Davis 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
256 replies to this topic

#1 GrandDaddy

GrandDaddy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Good SB sleeper this season?

#2 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Keep looking at him in the FA for all my leagues that have drafted. I just can't see where he gets playing time unless Rasmus really sucks (which is possible) or the Blue Jays have a rash of injuries.

Suppose that fits the term sleeper, but would rather have him starting before I gamble on him.

#3 accobra_kid

accobra_kid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think he will still have value in deeper mixed leagues.

Bautista, Rasmus and Melky are all going to need days off. One or more of them are going to get injured. Late-inning pinch-run situations. He'll get time at DH once Lind continues to suck.

120 GP, 325-350 AB and 30 SB seem reasonable. Minimal counting stats otherwise.

#4 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

I think he will still have value in deeper mixed leagues.

Bautista, Rasmus and Melky are all going to need days off. One or more of them are going to get injured. Late-inning pinch-run situations. He'll get time at DH once Lind continues to suck.

120 GP, 325-350 AB and 30 SB seem reasonable. Minimal counting stats otherwise.

i could not agree with an assessment more than this one.

Davis shouldn't be rostered in smaller leagues to start off, but he's well worth a look in deep leagues for his SB potential alone. it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he swipes 30 bags again, even in limited playing time. in daily leagues, you could do much worse as your OF4/5 on days he's playing.

#5 CM52

CM52

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Davis' problem this year is that, outside of hit left handed pitching, everything he does Bonifacio does better. That's going to cost him a lot of playing time unless a couple of guys go down. And I think the team is committed to giving Lind another shot against LHPs this year, even though they shouldn't.

#6 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

I like Davis for this year. Have to think the Jays will get tired of Rasmus if he continues his .220 ways again, and they showed a lack of patience also with Lind last year when they farmed him out.

Davis's playing time going into each of the last 3 seasons was always in question, yet he swiped 129 bags over those three years.

Don't know if Bonnifacio is so much better than Davis. Bonifacio has a career average of a 329 OBP/423 SLG to a 317 OBP/377SLG line for Davis. Also Davis has swiped far more bags relative to playing time than Bonnifacio in his career. Besides Bonnifacio is likely to see time at second when M. Izturis is exposed as an everyday player. Reyes playing on carpet is not going to be good for his hammy, so Bonnifacio could be in at ss too.

The way my mocks have been panning out, I have been winding up with Rajai at 142 overall in a 10-team AL-only. I like him at that #.

#7 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

I have always like him through the years starting in Oakland. My drafts always seem to be lacking in speed guys so he would be a nice addition with enough at bats to make it worthwhile.

Another part that concerns me is the Blue Jays offense. They have enough power that maybe a player won't be allowed that many SB attempts to run them out of an innings

#8 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

Any time you need speed, he's a decent option or worth taking a flier on. In my deeper league, he was picked up and dropped and passed around a lot last year. I had him on my roster for awhile here or there when he was starting 4-5 times per week, and streaking a bit.

The key with a guy like him is to know when to pounce if he's sitting as a FA. He always is good for at least one stretch of good production it seems like, even if it comes in a role off of the bench or while spelling someone for injury, etc...

But he can give you a lot of speed during that stretch, or stretches. He's an end-game pick for my deep leagues and a guy I will monitor on the wire all year. He's not one to really compare to Boni... outfielder vs. infielder really. Izturis should be exposed playing daily, and Bonifacio will play 2B the majority of the time. I am prepared for Rasmus to stink again too. And if that happens, I could see Rajai stealing starts and finding himself in the position to run.
He did it last year... why not this year? Plus, with the Jays trying to win and being all-in, I don't know how much patience they'll have with Lind and/or Rasmus this season. Rajai should get a chance... the key is to own him when it happens and hope he can "run" with it...
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#9 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

How much playing time is he going to get now? If its not regular, I'm not interested. If its every day I'm interested.
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#10 Armalite

Armalite

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

How much playing time is he going to get now? If its not regular, I'm not interested. If its every day I'm interested.

He'll sit a ton vs. righties, but when he's in the line up he's a lock for at least 1-2 sb's, just insane speed. If Bonifacio and Rasmus continue to struggle I can see him starting a lot more. I always wondered why the Jays dont start him more. 12+ team leagues I think he's worth owning.
20 TEAM PPR IDP LEAGUE, Sex Grossman's Cannon
QB) Joe Flacco, Blake Bortles, Robert Griffin III
RB) Eddie Lacy, Shonn Greene, Bernard Pierce, Ronnie Hillman, Jerrick McKinnon, Lorenzo Taliaferro
WR) Keenan Allen, Torrey Smith, Roddy White, Davante Adams
TE) Jordan Cameron, Larry Donell
K) Blair Walsh
DEF) Houston Texans
DB) Harrison Smith
DL) Marcell Dareus
LB) Paul Worrilow

#11 CanadianSportsJunkie

CanadianSportsJunkie

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

Should be in the lineup till Bautista comes back but other then that it's back to Rasmus, Mekly and Bautista days off.

I'm sick of seeing Gibbons pull Rasmus and put in Emilio.

Rajai Davis is a perfect late round pick when starting but as of right now I'm staying away and thats coming from a homer.

16Team Keeper League. Keep 10 no cost. Current 12 out of 16
R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB , AVG, OPS
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, QS, HLD

C- Jason Castro
1st- James Loney
2nd- Jedd Gyorko
3rd- Lonnie Chisenhall
SS- Jose Reyes
LF- Bryce Harper
CF- Mookie Betts
RF- Oscar Taveras
UTIL- Tori Hunter
Bench- Michael Cuddyer

SP- Masahrio Tanaka, Jacob DeGrom, Drew Hutchinson, Jimmy Nelson, Trevor Bauer, Jose Quintana, Jeremy Hellickson,, TJ House
RP- Ken Giles

NA - Matt Davidson,
DL-  Jurickson Profar, Prince Fielder, Kris Medlen

#12 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,735 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Bautista is back, and he's batting leadoff still 2 games in a row now.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 6

"Formerly" All About the Benjamin

2nd Place
12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (Backups Michael Crabtree and Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Kelce (backup Cameron)
FLEX Ben Tate (can also play cordarrelle or crabtree here)

#13 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Bautista is back, and he's batting leadoff still 2 games in a row now.

Just added him, need some speed on that squad anyway and it's a daily league so can slide him into the lineup when he does play. Dude's about as close to it gets to insta-SBs, why not.
"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#14 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,835 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

If Bautista can play 3B 1-2x a week, that would also eliminate any PT issues, and pave the way for daily AB's for Davis. So getting Joey Bats' back healthy enough would be a huge bonus to Davis' PT. And with 550 PA's, the guy is a lock for 50+ SB's. It's all about whether he can play everyday (or as others mentioned, use him in daily transaction leagues that aren't CBS, where you can move him in/out of the lineup very easily).

With Reyes out, the Jays' search for a "classic" leadoff guy is going to give Davis the opportunity. While he's a 2-3 trick pony, it's a damn good trick he pulls, so clearly WW-worthy for those who need SB's.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#15 Flacco2Rice

Flacco2Rice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

3 runs scored and a SB yesterday.. Why is he not getting playing time?? if he plays everyday, he can steal 50 bags... easy
12 Team AL-ONLY, 5x5 Roto

C-Salvador Perez
1B - EDWIN ENCARNACION
2B - Howie Kendrick
SS - Jed Lowrie
3B - Evan Longoria
OF - Kole Calhoun, Adam Eaton,  Chris Carter, Colby Rasmus, Chris Taylor
UT - CHRIS DAVIS
DH - Albert Pujols

SP - Weaver, Kuroda, Miguel Gonzalez, Drew Hutchinson, Stroman, Danny Salazar, Yohan Pino, Shane Greene, Holland(DL)
RP - McGee, Koji, Street, Andrew Miller

#16 Panther239

Panther239

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

3 runs scored and a SB yesterday.. Why is he not getting playing time?? if he plays everyday, he can steal 50 bags... easy

seems like they always score more runs when he's in the lineup

#17 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,735 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Because when he's gotten that pt in the past, he sucks.

I'm riding the wave while I can though.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 6

"Formerly" All About the Benjamin

2nd Place
12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (Backups Michael Crabtree and Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Kelce (backup Cameron)
FLEX Ben Tate (can also play cordarrelle or crabtree here)

#18 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Because he's a crappy hitter. Yeah he can steal 50+ bases but that doesn't override the fact that he's a sub .700 OPS hitter.

He finds his way into enough PT to matter every year though and when he plays there might not be a better stolen base per plate appearance guy in the league. When he gets on base he doesn't hesitate to steal 2nd and 3rd within 3 pitches.

#19 Caelum

Caelum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Coming off the DL. Any Blue Jays fans have any insight on whether he has a path to playing time? Asking because I desperately need steals, of course.
10-team mixed, 5x5

C: Ramos, Mesoraco
1B: Vargas; 2B: Carpenter; SS: D. Santana; 3B: Donaldson
MI: Wong; CI: Uribe
OF: Crawford, Soler, Dickerson, Eaton, Pearce
U: Ortiz
SP: Cueto, Iwakuma, A. Wood, Pineda, Fiers, Carrasco
RP: Chapman, Storen, Doolittle, Britton
Bench: Inciarte, Betts, Marisnick, Petit, Lohse, Peavy

#20 DK64MASTER

DK64MASTER

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

My guess is Gose will be sent down. So he'll get at least Gose's at bats. He sucks against Righties, and hits Lefties well, so he might get starts then. Is Melky taking up his roster spot?