981 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

If Welker isn't brought back and this guy becomes the full time slot receiver what are we looking at? Do we see Welker jr? Are you starting him?

12 team 1 pr PPR Dynatsy League  Starters in bold.

QB: Stafford, Geno Smith

WR: Calvin, Jeffery, Cobb, Quick, James Jones, Santonio Holmes, Martavis Bryant

RB: Charles, Ball, Davis, D. Brown, D. Williams, J. Stewart, L. Murray, Hillman

TE: Cameron, Donnell, Ladarius

#2 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I'm most definitely very interested if this is the case. We'll see where his ADP gets blown up to if Welker does end up testing the market.

His injury concerns are pretty alarming so it might keep him at a bargain in drafts next year even as a projected starter. I probably wouldn't think of an Edelman type until the middle rounds 6thish round or so and it could be likely that he won't be there if he's penciled in as Welker's replacement.

Those two TE's are the only receiving threats with true TD-upside. I'd rather pay for Hernandez in the 4th-5th then try and pencil Edelman in as my flex. I'd be jumping up and down to have him on my bench, however.

#3 fredth3cat

fredth3cat

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

If Welker isn't brought back and this guy becomes the full time slot receiver what are we looking at? Do we see Welker jr? Are you starting him?

People love to compare him to Welker, but Edelman isn't nearly as talented. He's worth a gamble in PPR formats, but I'd be careful not to reach too far for him.

If Welker leaves, I think it's more likely that the Pats just change their offense to de-emphasize the slot receiver.

#4 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

People love to compare him to Welker, but Edelman isn't nearly as talented. He's worth a gamble in PPR formats, but I'd be careful not to reach too far for him.

If Welker leaves, I think it's more likely that the Pats just change their offense to de-emphasize the slot receiver.

I don't even really think Welker is uber-talented or anything, he's a high effort route runner with pretty good hands with great chemistry with the one of the best QB's in football. Brady makes an average play a great fantasy play, that's the upside to Edelman that should be conceded if Welker indeed leaves.

However, I agree, I don't think Edelman simply comes in and takes all of the would-be Welker production, it's not that easy and yes, I think the offense will be tailored slightly even more to the TE's (if that's even possible) and some of the outside threats whether it's Lloyd or whoever. Edelman has a very good shot to be at least pretty solid in standard, and very good in PPR if he can put together a 16 game season. He had a few nice games in 2012 when given opportunities. Very Guarded optimism for Edelman. I think Hernandez gets in on some of the would-be Welker production as well.

#5 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,799 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

I agree with the CW that Edelman won't simply replace Welker's targets or production if the Pats do re-sign him. If anything, more targets for Gronk/Hernandez.

But, the window to become a truly relevant PPR force (think 80+ catches, 1000+ yards, plus special teams goodness, and some trick plays with reverses/bubble screens, as the ceiling, with a very safe floor if he's healthy <a big if given his size>), it all hinges on whether the Pats go after Amendola or Cruz, or devote more $ to re-signing Vollmer, getting Talib, and safety help, and go low-budget with Edelman (and likely go WR in Round 1, whoever is left of the 1st tier of Keenan Allen/DeAndre Hopkins/Tavon Austin <no way Patterson drops that low after his Combine>) as the other WR investment.

As a Dynasty owner who stashed him, there's no way to hope for Welker v2 - but true, WR2-3 fantasy relevance as a safe play could be just around the corner.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#6 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

He showed flashes of brilliance last year. He needs to prove that he can stay on the field though...his short career has been marred by injuries.

2014 12 team 5x5 H2H League - Runner up!

2014 14 team 0.5 PPR League

QB - Rodgers

RB - Bradshaw, Tate, Asiata, Vereen, SJAX, Pierce, Rainey

WR - Julio, Steve "Ice Up, Son!" Smith, Boldin

TE - Kelce, Miller

K - Parker

DEF - Stream City

#7 ipg46

ipg46

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Interests:Dumpster Diving

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

So with Hernandez and Gronk iffy for the Pats, Julian Edelman is going to have to catch some balls this year. I think he's been injured or something, but just saw that he's out of his walking boot and was seen catching some slow passes on the field. He's going to be available in the 11th or 12th round, and has a chance to be Brady's #2 target after Amendola.

Edited by ipg46, 23 June 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Yahoo League (Going for the Three-Peat!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Greg Jennings, Josh Gordon, LeVeon Bell, Matt Asiata, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Ray Rice, Zach Ertz, LeGarrette Blount

ESPN League (Runner up 2 years running--looking for the win!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace, Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Ben Tate, Frank Gore, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Fred Jackson, Vernon Davis, Larry Donnell, Carlos Hyde

#8 GetsSauced

GetsSauced

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:DA BEARS

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

So with Gronk likely to start season on PUP and Hernandez out for who knows how long, AND Welker gone, how do people thing Endelman will do now?

#9 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

So with Gronk likely to start season on PUP and Hernandez out for who knows how long, AND Welker gone, how do people thing Endelman will do now?

I don't think any of the current Pats issues affects Edleman's value at all. His only real value comes from that Welker/Amendola role, a role which is being filled by Amendola. He most likely gets a bump in snaps but I don't see much coming out of it. Now if/when Amendola goes down we are talking about a whole different ball game for Edleman's value.

I have him stashed in two deeper leagues waiting for Amendola to go down.

#10 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Aaron Dobson boys n girls ... Aaron Dobson ...

#11 lawilt

lawilt

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

hopefully he learns the playbook
16 Team Dynasty/Keeper League(8 Keepers)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, RB/WR, TE, DEF, K, 7 Bench spots
QB: Ben Roethlisbeger, Kirk Cousins
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Andre Ellington, Christine Michael, V Ballard, Latavius Murray, Jordan Todman, Edwin Baker
WR: Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas, Greg Jennings, Aldrick Robinson, Jeremy Kerley
TE: Jimmy Graham
Def: Seahwaks
K:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 Team Dynasty League
QB and any 9 combination of RB, WR, TE
QB: Romo, Alex Smith
RB: Jamal Charles, Forte, Andre Ellington, DeAngelo, Kenjon Barner, Edwin Baker, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings
WR: Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas, Hakeem Nicks, James Jones, Andre Holmes, Lance Moore, Aldrick Robinson
TE: Dennis Pitta, Brent Celek, Fasano
Def: Browns, Rams

#12 Jamaro85

Jamaro85

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Interesting read on Edelman's outlook:

http://www.nfl.com/n...-julian-edelman
10 Team PPR/Flex $ League (4th pick)

QB Matt Ryan
RB Matt Forte
RB Giovani Bernard
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Michael Floyd
FLEX Percy Harvin
TE Zach Ertz
K Matt Bryant
D/ST San Diego

BN Mark Ingram
BN Mike Wallace
BN Niles Paul
BN Jerick McKinnon
BN New England D/ST
BN Josh Gordon

#13 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

ADP is up over 2 rounds since mid-June now hovering in the late 13th, still decent value if the guy can stay on the field (also as long as NE doesn't have to use him as a DB this season :P ). Trying to plug him into a tier is similar to plugging in Collie a couple seasons back, I think putting him in with guys like: Randle, Givens, DHB, Hartline, is a good start.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: BUF DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Branden Oliver, Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#14 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,651 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

ADP is up over 2 rounds since mid-June now hovering in the late 13th, still decent value if the guy can stay on the field (also as long as NE doesn't have to use him as a DB this season :P ). Trying to plug him into a tier is similar to plugging in Collie a couple seasons back, I think putting him in with guys like: Randle, Givens, DHB, Hartline, is a good start.

He has been getting a lot of run on Fantasy Sports Radio, I don't listen that often, usually a day or two on my way into work and same on way home (20 min commute) I seem to hear his name a lot about before he got hurt, through three games he had more catches or targets than Welker is the stat they keep throwing around.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#15 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

Thinking about handcuffing Amendola with him....

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point passing TDs, .5 ppr(3-1, 3rd place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Pierre Thomas
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Cecil Shorts III, Mohammed Sanu, Lorenzo Taliaferro, James Starks, Theo Riddick, Travaris Cadet

#16 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Edelman returning back to practice next week. Is this a better pick up than the rookies? Last year he was getting more PT than Welker til injury
THE UNIT

QB: Brady
RB: McCoy, Forte
WR: Gordon, Brown, Patterson, Cooks, Hunter
TE: Rudolph, Ertz
DEF: Rams
K: Bryant

"The shadows betray you because they belong to me"

#17 Spyplane

Spyplane

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

LOL, you know you have major concerns when you're looking for handcuffs for wide receivers... At anytime but especially in early August. I see Amendola going really high in drafts considering his health track record.

Edelman is indeed a sneaky late draft pickup. I will be looking for him later on in my 14 teamer... Probably in round 12-13 of 15 as that's the last round I'll be considering a WR.

#18 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

After two weeks of pre-season what do you guys think about edelman?

Sneaky PPR play if Amendola is healthy? Must start if he goes down? Hasn't looked too bad up to this point.

#19 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,960 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

It's no guarantee that Edelman will immediately become Brady's "go-to" in the event of a potential injury to Amendola.

Brady has already seemed to be on the same page with Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson, and Josh Boyce (in that order).

Both Kenbrell Thompkins and Josh Boyce have a large amount of short area quickness. Either could end up as the starter/slot WR if Amendola were to get hurt.

Aaron Dobson is more likely to be the outside "X" WR. Boyce is more likely to be a "Z" WR. Kenbrell Thompkins has been taking snaps at all the different WR positions, and appears to be gearing up as a bit of a movable chess piece in the Patriots (Josh McDaniels) offense, able to give the defenses multiple looks, increasing both Thompkins' and the offense's versatility.

Kenbrell Thompkins appears to be the front runner to start opposite Amendola. If Amendola were to go down, then next man up would either be Dobson, Boyce, or Edelman.

In 3-wide sets, either Thompkins would move over to the slot, with Boyce and Dobson playing outside, or Boyce would play in the slot position, with Thompkins and Dobson outside.

Edelman essentially needs to pass Boyce for sure to be considered Amendola's handcuff. If he passes Boyce, then his main value in fantasy would only really be as Amendola's backup in case of an injury.

Edelman would have to pass BOTH Boyce AND Thompkins to have significant fantasy value, imo. I don't see him passing Thompkins, so I'm not touching Edelman right now.
  • chriscarman likes this
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#20 affliction

affliction

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

Yeh I was trying to pick up Amendolas cuff and picked Edelman even though on the 'Rotoworld Depth Charts' Boyce was below Amendola. I guess I'll have to wait until pre season to get a clearer picture. If you're drafting Amendola picking up his cuff is as important as drafting Foster and picking Tate.
12 Team PPR $$$ League (9th Pick)
QB: A.Luck
RB1: T.Richardson
RB2: M.Jones-Drew
WR1: D.Bryant
WR2: D.Amendola
TE: J.Finley
RB/WR: L.Bell
WR/TE: T.Hilton
D/ST: Bengals
BENCH
M.Ingram