40 replies to this topic

#1 Vupacalypse

Vupacalypse

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

With the departure of Danny Amendola it would seem a no brainer that Brian Quick stands the most to gain right? Elite size, speed, and opportunity as the apple of Bradford's eye has me salivating.

#2 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,787 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Yes, but 3 points:

1. Givens is likely going to be around (but more of the vertical threat).
2. More importantly, Jared Cook is clearly going to be a mega-target.
3. With the #16 & #22 pick, you have to think WR will be a target (Patterson, Allen, Hopkins, Austin, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, Quick's value just rose significantly - but #1 target? Not quite yet...Cook #1, WR1 drafted (out of 4 above) and Quick become 2A/2B, and Givens the deep route runner.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#3 maxhyde

maxhyde

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Not sure about Quick's elite anything. Brandon Gibson beat him out for snaps so I doubt he was all elite all over. No way the Rams held him back if his athleticism and size is that good. Good size and good speed and a year learning the system should put him at an advantage over everyone but Cook. Cook will already know the offense to some extent and Fisher drafted him so he will be looked at often

Not sure any WR in this draft are going to come in to the Rams and beat out Quick. He has had his year of learning the offense and becoming less "raw". As long as they didn't completely whiff on Quick I would assume he and Givens will be the WR to start the season and Cook should help giving Bradford options when he drops back.
I am not sure I would be salivating but definitely should see increased time in the offense and be given every opportunity to shine. Bradford is a good enough Qb that he will find ways to get Quick the ball if he proves he can make plays.

Edited by maxhyde, 14 March 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#4 Vupacalypse

Vupacalypse

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

What can I say I'm a bargain hunter. If I can snag him in the 10+ rounds or for a $1 bid, I'm going to be stoked. I've seen enough that I think he will make a sizeable leap in progress. I like Cook but not as his price which I'm sure will get even higher by the time draft rolls along.

The way I see it, with a bunch of question marks in the arrow in terms of the Ram's passing attack, mostly unproven talent, Quick is sleeper of the 3 yet in my mind possesses the most upside.

#5 maxhyde

maxhyde

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

depending on your cap $1 in an auction league sounds like a steal. I would think he will be going before round 10 in most 12 team leagues but you never know.
Anyway if you are dynasty or keeper he is worth a shot for sure. In a redraft you may have better options.

#6 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Interesting though how Josh Gordon, who many would have argued was more raw than Quick, was able to come in and contribute early on in the 2012 season. I'm not writing off Quick at all but it's not a good sign that he wasn't able contribute more as the season went on, especially after the Amendola injury. Still a decent late round flyer or $1-3 WR for auctions.

#7 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Yes, but 3 points:

3. With the #16 & #22 pick, you have to think WR will be a target (Patterson, Allen, Hopkins, Austin, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, Quick's value just rose significantly - but #1 target? Not quite yet...Cook #1, WR1 drafted (out of 4 above) and Quick become 2A/2B, and Givens the deep route runner.

I doubt you can say they're picking a WR for sure in round 1. They have plenty of needs.

They might be happy with Quick, Givens, and having Cook going over the middle.
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pt
QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Mark Ingram, Khiry Robinson, Bishop Sankey
WR: Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, DeSean Jackson, Rueben Randle, Jordan Matthews
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce

12 Team Redraft, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pt
QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Giovani Bernard, Doug Martin, Ryan Mathews, Bobby Rainey, Khiry Robinson
WR: Dez Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Mike Wallace, Jordan Matthews, Josh Gordon
TE: Jordan Cameron, Travis Kelce

#8 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

If St. Louis rolls with the receiving corps they've got right now, Cook will be the no1 option. He's a sneaky TE that should find TE1 status next year.

#9 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Givens is the Rams best pass catcher by a mile. He's not just a deep route runner either. I hope everybody thinks this about him & I steal him late in drafts.

#10 bs61014

bs61014

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Givens was the one to benefit when Amendola was out last year. Why do we think Quick will be the number one option rather than Givens?

Givens can stretch the field and he can run in the slot.

Please let me know if I am missing something regarding Quick. If he does become the number one option, he is more of a draft time secret than Givens is.

#11 Puk3s

Puk3s

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

The main thing Quick has going for him is that he's big and fast. 6 5 and ran a 40 in the 4.45-4.5 range. Now why that didn't yield more than 27 targets on the season I am not sure (I didn't watch the Rams much). Probably bad hands/route running as he only managed to haul in 11 of those 27 targets. How I feel about him this year will depend a lot on news from training camp, preseason production and draft location. But the guy does have physical talent no doubting that.
Owner of: www.analyzefantasyfootball.com
10 Team ESPN Standard Scoring League (2 Flex's and 2 extra bench slots)
QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Jamaal Charles, Andre Ellington, Rashard Mendenhall, Pierre Thomas, David Wilson, Joseph Randle
WR: Victor Cruz, DeSean Jackson, Danny Amendola, Miles Austin, Steve Smith, Emmanuel Sanders, Kenbrell Thompkins, Golden Tate, Marlon Brown
TE: Martellus Bennett
Def: Miami (streaming)
K: Mason Crosby

#12 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

this passing game is not good enough to support 3 options.

Givens flashed last year and I doubt they signed Cook to play part-time like Tennessee used him ...

#13 Puk3s

Puk3s

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

There's also a chance that the split between Quick and Givens makes both of them fantasy irrelevant. Although since Givens is the slot guy he will be more suited to catch the short passes from Bradford (who hasn't show much ability to go deep).
Owner of: www.analyzefantasyfootball.com
10 Team ESPN Standard Scoring League (2 Flex's and 2 extra bench slots)
QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Jamaal Charles, Andre Ellington, Rashard Mendenhall, Pierre Thomas, David Wilson, Joseph Randle
WR: Victor Cruz, DeSean Jackson, Danny Amendola, Miles Austin, Steve Smith, Emmanuel Sanders, Kenbrell Thompkins, Golden Tate, Marlon Brown
TE: Martellus Bennett
Def: Miami (streaming)
K: Mason Crosby

#14 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,787 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

Yes, but 3 points:

I doubt you can say they're picking a WR for sure in round 1. They have plenty of needs.

They might be happy with Quick, Givens, and having Cook going over the middle.

I do agree they will likely address safety, but with Long signing at LT and Saffold moving to RT, and the top 3 tackles gone by then, I think the value will be at WR, unless one of Cooper or Warmack are somehow still there (which I really doubt).

I think we see Vaccaro or Cyprien or Elam (whichever they think is the best), and WR as their 2 picks, assuming the 2 top guards and 3 best tackles are off the board.

Back to Quick, and Givens - IIRC, Quick didn't learn the playbook, while Givens clearly caught on faster. As such, Givens was rightfully given the PT. I don't have a problem with anyone who thinks Givens can outplay Quick - we haven't seen enough of Quick to tell yet. But, just as Jeff Fisher (and he clearly had strong input, not just the GM) drafted Isaiah Pead in 2012, and then was very slow to develop him, yet clearly have big plans for 2013, I suspect the same applies to Quick.

Again, I think Cook is the #1 target, and if the Rams invest a 1st-rounder, then long-term, that guy is likely the #2 - but for 2013, I think it's fair to say no one knows who the #2 target will be (I think it's more likely to be a battle between Quick and a 1st-round WR taken <especially if it's a more polished WR like Allen or Austin>). With an improved O-line, it would seem like whoever the #2 WR has WR3/flex appeal, so worth watching. We'll certainly know more after Draft Day.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#15 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,937 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

Film:

2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#16 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,937 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:46 AM

Just finished watching the video. Summary: Quick still has a LOT of work to do before he's even marginally fantasy relevant, unless he takes a MASSIVE step forward this season compared to his rookie year.

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#17 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,937 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:56 AM

Also, I don't feel great projecting Quick's 2013 fantasy production. He has to compete for targets with Cook, Givens, and now Tavon Austin.

Obviously we need to see how preseason eventually plays out, but I'd wager there's a good 75% chance that Cook has more TDs than Quick by the end of the regular season. Only thing I think would change that would be if Cook is somehow slow to pick up the new playbook, or if there simply is a lack of chemistry between him and Bradford (think Lance Kendricks). But I highly doubt either of those things will happen.

I think Quick could be a spot WR3 start (injury / bye weeks) in a 12-team league, but unless he shows a LOT more than he did last season, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Might be worth a lot more in TD-heavy leagues than standard or PPR leagues, as I expect he'll get a lot of his targets around the red zone if he isn't on the field frequently if Tavon Austin and Chris Givens win out the starting WR jobs.

#18 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

I think Quick has the potential to be a very very very good receiver in this league. He has the size, strength, and athleticism to succeed at a high level. He does seem to need to get more agressive when catching passes but lets all remember one thing...he's coming out of Appalachian State. He wasn't exactly playing for Saban. He was given a much more complex playbook than he's ever seen and was facing much much much better talent than he's ever seen. I don't think it was fair for anyone to expect him to come out and excel his first year out.

I don't even necessarily think this year is his breakout year but I do think he should take a big step forward. Even he admitted he had a tough time grasping the playbook last year, but with a full off-season in the books he should be much better in that regard. I think he is a much better dynasty player than re-draft and that he won't really break out ofr another couple of years but regardless I have high hopes for him in the future.

2013 will probably be pretty mundane though. 50 catches, 750 yards, 7 TDs maybe( could see a TON of red zone targets with his size but he is going to need to become more agressive and win those one on one fights for the ball.

12 team 1 pr PPR Dynatsy League  Starters in bold.

QB: Stafford, Geno Smith

WR: Calvin, Jeffery, Cobb, Quick, James Jones, Santonio Holmes, Martavis Bryant

RB: Charles, Ball, Davis, D. Brown, D. Williams, J. Stewart, L. Murray, Hillman

TE: Cameron, Donnell, Ladarius

#19 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

...could see a TON of red zone targets with his size...

Cook has him beat in every measurable. Let's just hope they reach the Red Zone often enough to make either of them relevant.
I do it for the likes...

#20 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

This is exactly what I was saying before. A non existent understanding of the playbook and the ridiculously large gap from Appalachian State to the NFL is what I think most contributed most to Quick's rough rookie season. I know that EVERYONE shines in OTAs so I am taking this report with a big grain of salt but I really wouldn't be surprised to see this guy take a big step forward. He is more talented than Chris Givens IMO and should be their #1 WR option outside. Could be a great value pick this year especially in dynasty leagues.

According to Tony Softli of 101 ESPN St. Louis, Brian Quick has been "putting on a show" at OTAs.

In Friday's session alone, Quick caught "17 to 18 passes all over the field." Softli mentioned that the second-year receiver was reeling in passes in the "red zone, middle of the field, on crossing routes, and deep down outside." Quick recently admitted that he struggled with the playbook as a rookie. That, coupled with the immense jump from Appalachian State to the NFL, contributed to his minuscule 2012 stat line. We have Quick as our No. 56 receiver at the moment, but he has a boat load of upside in what should be a high-octane St. Louis attack.

12 team 1 pr PPR Dynatsy League  Starters in bold.

QB: Stafford, Geno Smith

WR: Calvin, Jeffery, Cobb, Quick, James Jones, Santonio Holmes, Martavis Bryant

RB: Charles, Ball, Davis, D. Brown, D. Williams, J. Stewart, L. Murray, Hillman

TE: Cameron, Donnell, Ladarius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users