Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Drew Stanton 2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

I was kind of hoping that Drew Stanton got a chance to start last year when he signed with the Jets, before they traded for Tebow and then moved Stanton over to IND. Looks like he might finally get the chance.

In his spot appearances with the Lions when Stafford and Sean Hill were injured, I remember Stanton seemed to at least remember the most important thing: if you have an elite WR, target him relentlessly even if he's covered.

If he can do that for Larry Fitzgerald, I'll be a pretty happy NFL fan.

2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#2 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

I haven't seen much of Stanton in action but he has to be better than what ARI had going last season. The positives are that he has 5 years of NFL experience, spent all of last season learning Arians' offense, and has plus arm strength. Fitz is back to being a top 10 WR on my list.

Does this mean Kolb to BUF will inevitably happen?

#3 bmoss12

bmoss12

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Finally the guy gets a chance he was given his best to get a chance while playing for the Lions. If he would've stuck with the Jets he probably would be their starter this year. More then money he wants to be a starting QB in the NFL and you have to love that in a guy as most qb's are just content to have a job and making tons of money.
12 Team ESPN H2H League

Cam Newton (Car - QB)
LeSean McCoy   (PHI - RB)
Eddie Lacy (GB - RB)
Greg Jennings    (MIN - WR)
Vincent Jackson (TB - WR)
Jordy Nelson   (GB - WR)
Colts   (Defense)
Phil Dawson   (SF - K)
Seahawks (HC)
Antonio Gates   (SD - TE)
Matt Forte   (CHI - RB)
Terrance Williams         (DAL - WR)
Jordan Cameron   (CLE - TE)
Bilal Powell   (Jets - RB)

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."
~Mike Tyson

#4 egomaniac247

egomaniac247

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Man it's tough being an Arizona Cardinals fan.

I'm absolutely willing to give him a chance.....but I was absolutely willing to give Matt Leinart, Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Richard Bartel, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley, Brian Hoyer, and Ric Flair a chance.

Part of me wants to be optimistic. I agree, he can't be worse than what we had last year after Kolb got hurt. Part of me wants to hope that he can actually throw the long ball and ensure that Fitzgerald gets his standard annual production again.

The other part of me just can't help looking at those names I mentioned above and thinking....Drew Freakin Stanton. Drew Stanton is the guy our coaches have chosen to compete against Colin Kaepernick and Russel Wilson.

Sigh. Here goes nothin.

#5 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

He knows the offense, he has a pretty good arm, he's not afraid to fling it and he'll be flinging it to Fitz...I think Fitz owners can see a little sunshine through the dark clouds over ARI, at least he'll have a shot to become a top 10 WR again.
2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Lamar Miller ; Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: ARI DST
K: Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

Bench: Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, CLE DST (15.06)

#6 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Man it's tough being an Arizona Cardinals fan.

I'm absolutely willing to give him a chance.....but I was absolutely willing to give Matt Leinart, Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Richard Bartel, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley, Brian Hoyer, and Ric Flair a chance.

Part of me wants to be optimistic. I agree, he can't be worse than what we had last year after Kolb got hurt. Part of me wants to hope that he can actually throw the long ball and ensure that Fitzgerald gets his standard annual production again.

The other part of me just can't help looking at those names I mentioned above and thinking....Drew Freakin Stanton. Drew Stanton is the guy our coaches have chosen to compete against Colin Kaepernick and Russel Wilson.

Sigh. Here goes nothin.

Theres a reason some teams are bad most of the time.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#7 Dunder Mifflin Intern

Dunder Mifflin Intern

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I was kind of hoping that Drew Stanton got a chance to start last year when he signed with the Jets, before they traded for Tebow and then moved Stanton over to IND. Looks like he might finally get the chance. In his spot appearances with the Lions when Stafford and Sean Hill were injured, I remember Stanton seemed to at least remember the most important thing: if you have an elite WR, target him relentlessly even if he's covered. If he can do that for Larry Fitzgerald, I'll be a pretty happy NFL fan.

As a backup for the Lions, he threw to Calvin Johnson and was still mediocre. I think this thread title should be changed to "How can Drew improve Larry's fantasy numbers" cause no one except a player in a 32 team league would even draft him as a starter.

Man it's tough being an Arizona Cardinals fan. I'm absolutely willing to give him a chance.....but I was absolutely willing to give Matt Leinart, Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Max Hall, Richard Bartel, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley, Brian Hoyer, and Ric Flair a chance. Part of me wants to be optimistic. I agree, he can't be worse than what we had last year after Kolb got hurt. Part of me wants to hope that he can actually throw the long ball and ensure that Fitzgerald gets his standard annual production again. The other part of me just can't help looking at those names I mentioned above and thinking....Drew Freakin Stanton. Drew Stanton is the guy our coaches have chosen to compete against Colin Kaepernick and Russel Wilson. Sigh. Here goes nothin.

Dude, it's depressing reading your post. I hate to imagine what your fan life was like before Larry Fitzgerald.
Maybe it's the logo. The "Cardinals" isn't exactly a name that puts fear in the eyes of your opponents. Just look at the Browns. They don't even have a friggin symbol. Just an all orange helmet. And their called the Browns? Huh? :huh: Even college teams do better than that.

How about petitioning to have the team name changed to the Arizona Woodpeckers?
Think about it. Don't mess with the Woodpeckers. They'll peck your wood. Scary B)
Formerly ISuckTDs. New Name, New Day

#8 egomaniac247

egomaniac247

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Dude, it's depressing reading your post. I hate to imagine what your fan life was like before Larry Fitzgerald.

Well, right when we were about to put the Josh McCown fueled gun to our head, Larry perked our eyebrows up....then came the Boldin / Fitzgerald combo and the amazing Kurt Warner resurgence....we were on cloud 9. Then like a bottle rocket it quickly fizzled out when Kurt hung 'em up lol

I'm REALLY hoping that these Carson Palmer rumors come true. I know he's Carson "Pick 6" Palmer but damn, he can at least throw for more than 150 yards in a game!

I have hope that this is Bruce Arian's actual goal...sign Palmer, draft a rookie, and have Stanton as the backup plan for 2013. I just can't imagine us going into the season with Drew Stanton as the starter vs the Seahawks & 9ers!

#9 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

should i start a larry fitzgerald outlook or are we just gonna change this thread title?

#10 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

Anybody that thinks this gets Fitz back to being a top ten receiver is kidding themselves. Stanton is one of the handful of worst QBs in the league.

#11 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

I've seen worse. Jimmy Clausen, anyone?

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#12 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Not Ryan Lindley 2013 Season Outlook

#13 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Not Ryan Lindley 2013 Season Outlook

If his 2012 season was 0 TDs and 7 INTs, I don't want to know what his 2013 projected stats would look like.

#14 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Before we anoint Stanton as the surefire starter for 2013 - let's also acknowledge the Cards have a ton of reasons to spin this PR-wise:

1. Having the #7 overall draft pick, they are either hoping that some of the QB's in the draft fall to the 2nd round.
2. They're waiting for Carson Palmer to get cut - at which time, they'll see if he'll take a reduced offer.

The Cards committed 3M guaranteed - and 1.5 of that is this year, then 500k for 2014-2016 guaranteed, and 1M, 1.5 M in 2014-2015. Those #'s make it clear the Cards can treat him as a backup if they find a better option.

Sure, Stanton is the starter now - but nothing the Cards have done have committed them to Stanton as the starter for 2013, or long-term. Drafting a Glennon in Round 2, getting Palmer on a 1-year deal (and looking to QB next year), all those are still in play, and the $ with Stanton doesn't really prevent it. Of course if nothing happens, the Cards can say they got their guy already - but the point is they have the freedom to go elsewhere if the opportunity presents itself.
Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, Gerhart, C-Michael, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#15 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

They should go elsewhere. You lay down with dogs, you get fleas.

#16 egomaniac247

egomaniac247

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Good post

I was being a little melodramatic above but I just can't believe that Bruce Arians would go into the season with the QB roster of Stanton, Hoyer, & Skelton.

1 of two things is going to happen:

A: They get Carson Palmer

B: They think that Geno or Barkley can start this year.

IF they DID go into the season with Stanton as the starter and no rookie who looks like he's going to start....then Arians is just throwing the season.

#17 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

I honestly think they realize their QB situation can't be drastically improved this season, unfortunately. I think they have Stanton as the guy that knows the offense already and they hope can be serviceable for at least a season since they at least have good WR's for him to throw to.

I think they have Hoyer who could potentially compete for the starting job if he really shows something in camp/preseason, but at worst he's a decent backup. You've got to remember, the two games Hoyer did play/start last season for the Cards were against the Bears and 49ers, so I won't really hold those games against him when judging his future potential.

Obviously I don't think either of them are the second coming of Aaron Rodgers, but my point is, I think the Cardinals really are (unfortunately) set at QB for this upcoming season right now. Any potential signing of a guy like Carson Palmer (if they feel he would be a marked improvement over those other two), would just be gravy, in a sense. A small bonus.

I think they try to ride out this season, build depth at other positions, see if there's the 1% chance that either Stanton or Hoyer are serviceable in that offense, and (if most likely they aren't) then try to draft a QB next season.

That's my current guess, given all the pieces.

#18 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

I think Arians is smart enough to know he can't fix this team in one season (or even 2-3 for that matter). Say what you want about Shanny but when he came on board in WAS he flat out told Snyder that it was going to take 4-5 seasons to turn the team around and if he didn't realize that then he wasn't going to sign a contract. That kind of attitude is what teams like ARI & KC need to adopt, play to win but know that it's going to take a few seasons to put all the pieces in place.
2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Lamar Miller ; Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: ARI DST
K: Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

Bench: Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, CLE DST (15.06)

#19 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Topping this because the Cardinals o-line will make Stanton relevant at some point this season, even if he is just the backup QB.