Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Daryl Richardson 2013 Season OutlookSJax gone, who steps up?

• Please log in to reply
565 replies to this topic

#1 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I've been the one all along saying that if SJax leaves town, which he officially has now, that Richardson will be in line to thrive in a starting role.

It was Richardson, not Pead, that stepped up as a valuable RB behind SJax last year that showed some promising runs. However, It would be naive to ignore Jeff Fisher's comments saying he thinks it's possible Pead could be an every down back for them.

I'm still a Richardson believer if St. Louis decides to roll with these two and not make any further additions. If it's between these two give me Daryl Richardson as a solid RB3 who I think has every shot at a starting gig next year.

Do you think they add some legitimate competition here? Where do you grade Daryl's value?

As I said he's absolutely on my RB3 radar, my guess is he ends up with a starting gig. Albeit not an very attractive starting gig but there's production to be had in every backfield and someone has a golden chace to step up here.

#2 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

I own Richardson and Pead in my keeper league....can only keep one.   Richardson may be the logical choice based on last year but I have this feeling Pead will end up with the job.  Whoever starts there would have low RB2 potential especially in PPR leagues....but I don't know who it will be.

#3 Vupacalypse

Vupacalypse

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

I like Pead more but I'm not gonna force the issue if his price skyrockets from now til the draft. The draft value of Richardson could likely warrant waiting on some sucker to reach on Pead, as we have yet to witness who wins the training camp battle it's very much up in the air.

#4 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Not sure anyone could like Pead more... no one has seen Pead.
Having said that, they did draft him higher, so that should buy him an an extended look.
Either way, both RBs are sub 200 lbs and neither are feature back material.
If you are inclined to draft one, just look at the one you choose as an RB3/RB4 flyer with upside.

Discliamer: I got Richardson and SJax in a dynasty, so good week overall this week. (cool stroy, bro)
This post is rated "G".

#5 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

I have a feeling they will give Pead many opportunities to become the feature RB this season, time will tell if he steps up. If he struggles Richardson could be a pretty good RB3/flex gamble.
GO VIKES!!!!!!!

#6 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

It's too bad he's on a 3-and-out machine farm club. Otherwise he might be worth a 5-6th round pick. 7-8th ok. But isn't that when you better get the QB you're waiting on?
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#7 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostWinky, on 15 March 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

Not sure anyone could like Pead more... no one has seen Pead.
Having said that, they did draft him higher, so that should buy him an an extended look.
Either way, both RBs are sub 200 lbs and neither are feature back material.
If you are inclined to draft one, just look at the one you choose as an RB3/RB4 flyer with upside.

Discliamer: I got Richardson and SJax in a dynasty, so good week overall this week. (cool stroy, bro)
Just checked richardsons stats, in that offense he had 98 carries for 475 yds (4.8 ypc).  SJAX had 4.1 ypc.

in games that he had 7 or more carries, he had 373 yds on 64 carries for 5.8 ypc.  

I don't believe he could maintain that high ypc if he is given the majority carries, but since he'll likely be in a RBBC he should have a good ypc.
Even if you think pead is better (despite the great point that Winky made above) its obvious richardson has talent.  So even if they want to give Pead the job, Richardson isn't going to just disappear. I think richardson will end up with the majority carries but it'll be an RBBC with those smaller RBs.  I'll take proven talent over unknown hype every time.  Unless there is a clear separation between the two by the end of preseason, I would think his adp/value going into next yr will be slightly higher than the Donald Brown/Beanie wells crowd last yr.  

Anyone know why Pead rode the pine last yr? like was he bad at pass protection or got in the dog house?

Disclaimer: I picked up D-Wilson right before Brown went down in a keeper league (another story made cool by offseason moves)

Edited by Ribobizert, 16 March 2013 - 02:51 AM.

#8 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostRibobizert, on 16 March 2013 - 02:50 AM, said:

Anyone know why Pead rode the pine last yr? like was he bad at pass protection or got in the dog house?

He fumbled once or twice... immediate doghouse for a rookie.
David Wilson had to work through the same stuff, but he ended up getting back on the field whereas Pead never really got the opportunity.

Pead had 10 carries all season and 5 of those were Week 17... that's tough to figure for a high draft pick and the team going 7-8-1.  It leads me to believe there was something more than the fumbling issue (or the fumbling issue is worse than anyone outside the Rams knows).

Either way it is a new season with a new regime and an opportunity for a fresh start.
Fisher will get both players their looks early, but he will not tolerate any fumbling either if that happens to be the only issue for Pead.

FWIW:
The Rams won 4 of their last 6 while Richardson/Pead barely sniffed the ball.
Richardson finished off the last 5 games going for a total of 16 carries for 24 yards.
Couple that with the fact that he did not cross the stripe all season and you have pretty uninspiring results.
While he is deserving of a role in the offense, I am not sure he did enough to carve out top dog status.
He did catch 24 balls which was unexpected and pretty solid.

Pre-season will tell us a lot more about how each of these guys will be deployed.
If they do not draft a bruiser, then I anticipate a fairly even job split.

I can also see the Rams picking up someone like Ahmad Bradshaw... a vet with heart that can teach the kids a thing or two about a thing or two before he crumbles and hits IR.... maybe Deangelo Williams or someone else like that.

Edited by Winky, 16 March 2013 - 06:57 AM.

This post is rated "G".

#9 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm a believer in RBs needing more than a few carries to "warm up" and find their "rhythm" so to speak, kind of like how relief pitchers get warm up throws and NBA players do shoot arounds.  Though just as i extrapolated stats from when he got more than 6 carries for some of D-rich's stats, its completely fair that you present those as well to get a better idea of the whole picture

#10 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostRibobizert, on 16 March 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

I'm a believer in RBs needing more than a few carries to "warm up" and find their "rhythm" so to speak, kind of like how relief pitchers get warm up throws and NBA players do shoot arounds.  Though just as i extrapolated stats from when he got more than 6 carries for some of D-rich's stats, its completely fair that you present those as well to get a better idea of the whole picture

Believe me... I saw the flashes that dazzled, so I firmly in his camp as a fan, but I am loathe to overdraft.
That offense has a ways to go before committee RBs have stand alone value.
This post is rated "G".

#11 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostWinky, on 16 March 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

View PostRibobizert, on 16 March 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Believe me... I saw the flashes that dazzled, so I firmly in his camp as a fan, but I am loathe to overdraft.
That offense has a ways to go before committee RBs have stand alone value.

That offense is also why I fear that he may get over drafted as it's hard to rely on a guy in a RBBC to be anything more than a RB3.  Unless Bradford starts balling like his days at OU, in that offense his TD potential is relatively minimal.  I'd compare the offensive situation  to something like the cards last season, but with more yardage opportunities since D-Rich/Pead have more talent than the cards RBBC (I've always been a charter member of the official Beanie Wells hater fan club).

#12 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,170 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Pead got benched for 3 reasons as I understand it:

1.  He didn't know the playbook
2.  He didn't blitz protect well
3.  He fumbled

Those are going to get rookies benched for sure.  D-Rich did a nice job so deserves an open competition.  Fisher's most recent statements clearly show he thinks a lot about Pead, saying they drafted him to be a 3-down back.  

Reading the tea leaves, if Pead shows he understands the playbook & can pass protect, I think Fisher wants him to win the job.  But until then you have to give D-Rich his due.  For obvious reasons training camp will be huge for those 2.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#13 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

I am a D-Rich believer, and I think he steps up great in a full time starter role next year. Kid is talented.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#14 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

In comes Zac Stacy.

Another RBBC, i think. Stacy is a hard hitting inside runner. Richardson more of a speed guy that could feature on passing downs.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#15 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

I dog Silva a lot for his advice-giving columns, always preferring his information over his rankings.
I thought this article on Richardson was a good read and a good demonstration of Silva's true wheelhouse... content.

http://www.rotoworld...aryl-richardson

Props.
This post is rated "G".

#16 SecondString

SecondString

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostWinky, on 12 July 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

I dog Silva a lot for his advice-giving columns, always preferring his information over his rankings.
I thought this article on Richardson was a good read and a good demonstration of Silva's true wheelhouse... content.

Props.

View PostWinky, on 12 July 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

Props.

Thanks for posting the link, this was definitely a good read, as were the analyses on Pierce and Miller.  I had pretty much written off D.Rich, now will have to re-think.

#17 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Silva has me confused because in 2 different articles I read within like 2 or 3 days of each other he gassed up both Pead and Richardson.  I don't know which he prefers anymore.  I think I'm just going to watch training camp and preseason and determine for myself.  Silva seems to be extremely conflicted on these guys.
2013 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Marcus Lattimore
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Justin Blackmon, Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams, Da'Rick Rogers, Justin Hunter
TE's-Julius Thomas, Dennis Pitta
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Daryl Washington, Bobby Wagner
DB's-Reshad Jones, Tyvon Branch

#18 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostAlfonz289, on 13 July 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

Silva has me confused because in 2 different articles I read within like 2 or 3 days of each other he gassed up both Pead and Richardson.  I don't know which he prefers anymore.  I think I'm just going to watch training camp and preseason and determine for myself.  Silva seems to be extremely conflicted on these guys.

I didn't read a Pead article... but you are making an excellent point if that is your takeaway from both articles.
Can you post the link?

Edited by Winky, 13 July 2013 - 07:33 AM.

This post is rated "G".

#19 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

I'm on my way to work but will try to find the article on Pead and post it sometime today.
2013 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Marcus Lattimore
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Justin Blackmon, Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams, Da'Rick Rogers, Justin Hunter
K's-Steven Hauschka

#20 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Ok, the Pead article I was referring to is actually from the draft guide under the sleepers and undervalued section.   I don't know the rules or guidelines for posting links or info from the draft guide but the article was out Wednesday July 10th, the same exact day the Richardson tape review was put out.  The sleepers and undervalued article goes on to say "Pead is the most talented runner in St. Louis and he's being drafted behind inferior teammates Daryl Richardson and Zac Stacy."  The article also says "Richardson is a change of pace back and Stacy lacks impressive burst". The article finishes by saying of Pead "He's the favorite to lead the Rams backfield on carries and catches this season."  So with this article being posted on the same exact day as the Richardson article, it's pretty clear to me that Silva has no idea which Rams RB he prefers.  

QB's-Jay Cutler
K's-Steven Hauschka

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users