Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

The Concussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,914 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I couldn't find another topic like this, so if there is please link me and delete this thread.  Just read this blurb from Westbrook and it makes me sick:

Brian Westbrook told the Associated Press that he is experiencing memory loss that he believes was caused by concussions suffered on the field.
Westbrook, 33, said he can’t remember names, recall facts, or retain new information. Westbrook miss two games after being knocked unconscious on the field in a game against the Redskins in 2009, then suffered another concussion in his first game back. He now says he shouldn’t have been cleared to play so quickly.

Oh really?  Now you say that Brian?  Probably setting the grounds to sue the league now that paychecks have stopped coming in.  Things like this are the reason why the league has to alter the rules to make it almost a flag football game, because the past players keep suing the league and its costing us, the fans, the chance at watching the product we want to watch. These players know what they are signing up for when they play football, its a harsh reality but its just the nature of the game.

#2 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

While I don't like the ways it is approaching flag football, as you say, the changes towards heightened caution when returning from a head injury, especially if there is a history of them, seem like a good idea to me.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#3 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

i don't feel any sympathy for these players. it's a game predicated on violence and anyone that has ever played knows the risks. it's one of the reasons you get paid a ridiculous amount of money to stay in shape and play a game for 4-5 months.

#4 zshawn

zshawn

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

I feel for Laurent Robinson and Javhid Best. Might not be able to play football again :(

#5 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

i'm sure i'll be drafting jahvid best anyway

#6 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

View Postrraayy3, on 16 March 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

i don't feel any sympathy for these players. it's a game predicated on violence and anyone that has ever played knows the risks. it's one of the reasons you get paid a ridiculous amount of money to stay in shape and play a game for 4-5 months.

Could not agree more. Nobody put a gun to these guys heads and made them be famous football players. If they are so upset, go get a 9 to 5 job and work for a living.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#7 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

I am not a lawyer but with so many ex players suing the NFL for the damage that concussions have caused them in their lives after football doesn't this sort of open up all businesses in general to be sued for a myriad of inherent job related injuries/stresses?  graphic designers suing companies for carpal tunnel syndrome, lifeguards suing for getting skin cancer, pit crew members suing for losing hearing, etc.

#8 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

I wonder what would happen if steroids were taken out of the game.
When is the football version of Jose Canseco going to stand up and start talking?
Got to be getting close to that point in time.

Edited by Winky, 16 March 2013 - 05:06 PM.

This post is rated "G".

#9 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostRibobizert, on 16 March 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

I am not a lawyer but with so many ex players suing the NFL for the damage that concussions have caused them in their lives after football doesn't this sort of open up all businesses in general to be sued for a myriad of inherent job related injuries/stresses?  graphic designers suing companies for carpal tunnel syndrome, lifeguards suing for getting skin cancer, pit crew members suing for losing hearing, etc.

Assumed risk. Oh wait, that doesn't exist anymore. Good question then.

High risk job = high degree of income potential. These guys know the risk they're taking and to them it's worth it.
2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Lamar Miller
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: CLE DST (15.06)
K: Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

Bench: Golden Tate (7.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Alex Smith

#10 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostDocJ, on 18 March 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

View PostRibobizert, on 16 March 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Assumed risk. Oh wait, that doesn't exist anymore. Good question then.

High risk job = high degree of income potential. These guys know the risk they're taking and to them it's worth it.

agreed

Its a shame how much of a joke our court system has become due to frivolous lawsuits, that i guess shouldn't be deemed frivolous anymore.  America......the land where nobody takes accountability for their own actions/decisions anymore.

#11 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,737 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostWinky, on 16 March 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

When is the football version of Jose Canseco going to stand up and start talking?

View Postpetekrum, on 16 March 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Could not agree more. Nobody put a gun to these guys heads and made them be famous football players. If they are so upset, go get a 9 to 5 job and work for a living.

I coach with a guy that played 10 years in the NFL, former Ed Block courage award winner etc and he couldnt agree more that these suits are a BS money grab. He says (and I believe) they all knew what they were doing, they all hid everything from the trainers and no one would change anything. His assertion is that its a bunch of broke players and followers just trying to get more cash.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#12 ipstaff

ipstaff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Given that steroids generally help you recover from injuries (not concussions) faster... it would actually probably get pretty ugly if there were a big time scandal in the NFL.  Between that and all the painkillers, if there were a crackdown, you'd probably see even more guys going down for 6 and 8 game stretches, if not for the year.

#13 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

View Postdzemens, on 18 March 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

View Postpetekrum, on 16 March 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

I coach with a guy that played 10 years in the NFL, former Ed Block courage award winner etc and he couldnt agree more that these suits are a BS money grab. He says (and I believe) they all knew what they were doing, they all hid everything from the trainers and no one would change anything. His assertion is that its a bunch of broke players and followers just trying to get more cash.
I agree with the money grab theory. I'm not the best student of the game but I haven't really recognized any names talked about in the lawsuits.  To further strengthen this theory, have we heard anything about Aikman or Warner suing as their careers were both ended by concussions.  Is it because they aren't as old as some of these "money grabbers" or is it because they have large bank accounts, having no need for money & can thus accept the repercussions of their decision to play the game?
Have any high profile players with big bank accounts sued the NFL other than Junior?

#14 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,381 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

I think it all has to be viewed on a case by case basis.  There are a lot of these guys who are suing the NFL purely for a money grab because they feel like the NFL owes them something.  Maybe they have a horribly painful back or knees, maybe they're a bit forgetful, nothing overly serious.  These are things that any football player should be prepared for going into it.

Then there are the type of cases that the NFL should legitimately be worried about.  Seau, Dave Duerson, Mike Webster, Ray Easterling, etc.  Guys who had serious brain trauma that basically ruined their post-playing careers and rendered them dangers to themselves.  I do think that most guys who played football in the 60s, 70s, and 80s were aware of how their bodies and heads were in danger playing the game, but the amount of potential brain trauma related to multiple concussions was not something that was mentioned often.

I've talked to my dad and uncles, who are in their 50s now, and they have all said getting a concussion was almost a point of pride back in the day and playing through it was a sign of toughness.  That was the culture that was preached in amateur and professional sports 20, 30, 40 years ago.  That's not completely the NFL's fault or any specific league's, as the players, coaches, and really lack of information in general created an environment that complied with this attitude.

With the increased size, strength, and speed in the game now, there are going to be guys playing right now who are going to be vegetables in 20-30 years.  And it's going to be an even bigger PR disaster for the NFL because it's going to be players who the PC generation (people in their 20s and 30s right now, like myself) grew up watching and there will be an even bigger uproar.  I don't necessarily feel sorry for the players because they literally chose one of about three professions, along with hockey and boxing, where you subject yourself to repeated head trauma.  If you don't want any part of that, go work in another field.