Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

C.C. Sabathia 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
263 replies to this topic

#1 ScrappyDawg

ScrappyDawg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

What do you guys think of CC this year? He hit the DL twice last season and the Yankees have been dropping like flies this spring. I really dont think he is a lock for 15 or even 12 wins with this Yankees roster. ESPN's Matthew Berry has him ranked at #69 just ahead of the likes of Zimmerman, Latos, and Gallardo overall which I think is fair. Yahoo's composite rankings have him at the #13 overall SP infront of Dickey, Gio, Sale, and Medlen. I think that is too high.
*12 Team Half-PPR Keeper League*

QB - Matt Ryan, ATL
RB - Jamaal Charles, KC
RB - Reggie Bush, DET
WR - Randall Cobb, GB
WR - Keenan Allen, SD
TE - Rob Gronkowski, NE
FLEX - Percy Harvin, SEA
D/ST - 49ers
K- Matt Bryant, ATL
BN - Stevan Ridley, Marques Colston, Brandin Cooks, Ladarious Green, Matt Asiata

#2 BkNets2012

BkNets2012

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

I can see haters .. Cc will have another ace season top 8 sp... Yanks won't be as bad as people think
Espn Fanasty Baseball 10 Team H2H League Redraft (12-3)

C: Jonathan Lucroy
1B: Edwin Encarnacion
2B: Jose Altuve
3B: Evan Longoria
SS: Alexi Ramirez
2B/SS: Martin Prado
1B/3B: Pedro Alverez
OF: Justin Upton, Matt Holiday, Giancarlo Stanton, Starling Marte, Dominic Brown
UTIL: Lenonys Martin
Bench: Brandon Belt

SP: David Price, Zack Grienke, Shelby Miller, Ervin Santana , Jeff Locke, Mike Leake, Bartolo Colon,   DL: Alex Cobb

#3 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

As much as I'd like to believe BkNets, I'm more inclined to side with ScrappyDawg. Being without 3 perennial All-Stars for large chunks of the season would be difficult for any team to overcome. CC has a lot of wear and tear on that arm, and he's not exactly a fitness model either. I'm genuinely down on this team for this season, and I'm about as big a Yankee homer as you'll find. I'm not going more than 14 Wins for CC as a projection, and I'd definitely take several pitchers ahead of him.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#4 compsella

compsella

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Per RW: "fastball velocity was sluggish"
What does this mean? What was he averaging? Anyone see him today? Looks like he mainly just struggled in the 2nd inning.

I am hoping he doesn't turn into Dan Haren 2.0.
14-team, H2H, Total Points, 7 Keepers (3-year contracts)

C Doug Gwosdz, Mackey Sasser
1B Razor Shines
2B Arquimedez Pozo
3B Scat Metha, Jim Walewander
SS Steve Jeltz
OF Johnny Dickshot, Rusty Kuntz, Bristol Robotham Lord, Johnny Wockenfuss, Hiram Bocachica
UT Drungo Hazewood, Coot Veal

SP Kevin Mmahat, Steve Fireovid, Cannonball Titcomb, Lil Stoner, Roy Face, Juan Eichelberger
RP Ed Head, Boots Poffenberger, Firpo Marberry, Yorman Bazardo, Fu-Te Ni

MNR Joey Terdoslavich, Rougned Odor, Kevin Quackenbush

#5 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Could be a warning sign.... Or could be your chance to buy low. Only you can decide.

#6 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Per RW: "fastball velocity was sluggish"
What does this mean? What was he averaging? Anyone see him today? Looks like he mainly just struggled in the 2nd inning.

I am hoping he doesn't turn into Dan Haren 2.0.

Saw him top out at 92-93 today, at least according to the ESPN gun.

It wasn't a pretty performance but 3 infield hits didn't help him. His control was mediocre to poor but he didn't have a full spring so I'd imagine he's still shaking off the rust.

#7 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

I saw a lot of 88mph today, but i was flippin between a lot of games
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa. -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. -Thomas Boswell

#8 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,918 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Just par for the course with CC, his velo looked fine to me.

In his first start the L7 years, he has tossed 35.3 innings and allowed 45 hits and 29 earned runs (7.39 ERA) with a 30:17 K:BB ratio.

#9 The Analyst

The Analyst

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

I stayed far far away. The injuries last year and an issue in spring training combined with the multitude of injuries on this team just didn't bode well. The team is getting old on top of that, so it's hard to think they're going to be a very good team.

#10 DoctorPayne

DoctorPayne

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

I think his arm is about to fall off - I'd unload him ASAP and take anything of use that I could get.

#11 NYSportsfan24

NYSportsfan24

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Any word on his velocity today?

#12 justwrestle

justwrestle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

7 innings pitched, 0 Runs, 4 Hits, and a Win over Justin Verlander and the offense that many believe is the best in all of baseball.

As Mark Twain once stated: "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

12 Team Head to Head, 1-2 record, 8th place.

QB- Foles

RB (2)- Ball, Ellington

WR (3)- Dez Bryant, A.J. Green, Jeffrey

TE (1)- Olson

WR/TE (1)- Donnell

WR/RB (1)- Fred Jackson

K (1)- Crosby

D (1)- Carolina

Bench- Ryan Mathews (injured), Josh Gordon (suspended), Kyle Rudolph (injured), Kurt Cousins, Robert Woods, Knile Davis, C.J. Anderson, Roy Helu, Kenny Stills, Baltimore Defense

#13 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,918 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

I think his arm is about to fall off - I'd unload him ASAP and take anything of use that I could get.

Hope you didn't follow your own advise.

CC be beastin

#14 DoctorPayne

DoctorPayne

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hope you didn't follow your own advise.

CC be beastin

His fastball's still averaging 90 or lower - that's entering "crafty lefty" territory. 2.5 mph slower than last season, 4 mph slower than 2011. The fact that he's been lucky enough to not get shelled with velo like that is your opportunity to sell high, not a sign that you should hold onto him.

#15 justwrestle

justwrestle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

8 innings pitched 9 K's, 1 ER, this time against the O's. Its not like he is doing this against the Astros or Marlins.

1 ER his last 15 innings pitched. The Velocity is down a little bit, but he is still hitting the low 90's (93 MPH was his high on the night, but he was routinely at 90). It is not like he is in the mid 80's.

Edited by justwrestle, 14 April 2013 - 02:08 PM.

QB- Foles

RB (2)- Ball, Ellington

TE (1)- Olson

WR/TE (1)- Donnell

WR/RB (1)- Fred Jackson

K (1)- Crosby

D (1)- Carolina

Bench- Ryan Mathews (injured), Josh Gordon (suspended), Kyle Rudolph (injured), Kurt Cousins, Robert Woods, Knile Davis, C.J. Anderson, Roy Helu, Kenny Stills, Baltimore Defense

#16 justwrestle

justwrestle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

Another really good start, but CC hit a mere 90 mph on the radar gun. Just when I thought the velocity was coming back it went down. Also, the 90 was rare, he was in 87-89 rank with his fastball most of the night.

But you can't argue with the results.

Edited by justwrestle, 20 April 2013 - 03:55 AM.

QB- Foles

RB (2)- Ball, Ellington

TE (1)- Olson

WR/TE (1)- Donnell

WR/RB (1)- Fred Jackson

K (1)- Crosby

D (1)- Carolina

#17 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Ever think he might be becoming a better pitcher and not a thrower? The few MPH on his fast looks drastic but if he's locating and his secondary pitches are working that's all that really matters. Greg Maddoux is a perfect example.

#18 lightning1233

lightning1233

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

http://www.faketeams.../cc-sabathia-ew

Interesting read about his velocity.

"After averaging almost 91 mph on his fastball in his 2nd start, he barely managed above 90 this past Wednesday, 17April2013. On the year, his Fastball is averaging 89.9 mph compared to 92.4, 93.9 and 93.6 in the previous three years.

Bill Petti on Fangraphs referenced this issue and also pegged him for further velocity loss. He goes on to say Pitchers that lose at least 1 mph have, on average, a 39% chance of either getting injured or failing to throw at least 40 IP in the following season. They also have a 91% chance of losing further velocity the following season.

Folks, it's a great time to sell high on CC Sabathia. To date, he has a 2.57 ERA (3.85 SIERA). I believe his ERA will catch up and again surpass his SIERA like it did last year (3.17 SIERA and 3.38 ERA).

If his peripherals continue/velocity drops or even doesn't pick up we're looking at a K/BB ratio similar to his 2010 level of 2.66 but with a less graceful GB/FB ratio like in 2009 (1.15). The combined effect should yield an ERA beyond his SIERA from those two years: 3.79 and 3.70.

To date, hitters are swinging at less stuff outside the zone and more at stuff inside. On the other hand, hitters' contact% against him and their swing at strikes and miss% are in line with what we would have expected prior to this velocity dip, but if his velocity struggles continue, this could change and again these combining effects will negatively inflate his numbers - overall contact% > more fly balls > more HR/FB.

Looking at his 2013 repertoire to date, it doesn’t seem as though he's less confident throwing his fastball (57.1% versus 54% all of last year). Instead, it looks as though he's trying to mix and match his Fastball-Changeup a bit more (16.8% changeups versus 12.6% and 13.4% in the previous two years). If his head takes over with everyone asking about the velocity dip and he sticks with this new fastball-changeup approach, I'm not sure it will be successful. Right now hitters are hitting his changeup the hardest (.381 wOBA versus .310 on his fastball, .177 on his curveball and .127 on his slider which continues to be very successful).
Recommendation: Keep an eye on his velocity and approach if you can't manage trading him, otherwise take advantage of his ERA and K/BB to date and sell high because neither will hold up."

#19 pnoozi

pnoozi

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

I wonder if I can get Cain straight up for him.

NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR TEAM

Developer of the Highlights Chrome extension (currently unpublished, working on bringing it back).

QB TOM BRADY ANDY DALTON TOM BRADY
WR VINCENT JACKSON, WR PERCY HARVIN, WR MALCOM FLOYD
RB MARSHAWN LYNCH, RB GIOVANI BERNARD
TE HEATH MILLER
W/R/T JERICK MCKINNON
K MASON CROSBY, DEF CLEVELAND

#20 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

AVG FB velocity of 89 MPH. First time in his career it's under 93 MPH.