19 replies to this topic

#1 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

one of the top WR recruits coming out of HS ...
6"4 260+ lb prospect with 4.5 speed

strengths: Robinson has one of the best size and speed combinations in the draft, as he is a 6'4" 264 player with a lot of speed at a 4.53 sec. 40 yard dash. He also has excellent agility numbers and should prove to create matchup issues in the passing game long term.
He has great hands and a frame that looks fully developed. He looks about 20 pounds lighter than he really is and should end up as the starting tight end long term. He's a willing blocker and one of the harder workers on the Cincinnati team.

weaknesses: He needs a ton of refinement and is one of the rawest prospects in the draft. He needs to sit behind a true tight end for at least a year to learn the intricacies of the position as far as run blocking and route running are concerned.

http://fifthdown.blo...-of-tight-ends/

Apparently he is now up to 280 lbs. and the coaches have been raving about him [in practice/camp] since day 1. Only a 1 year starter in college and played in a system that did not utilize the TE, but this will now be his 2nd year working with a TE coach that has turned guys like Kevin Boss/Jake Ballard into quality starters and just made Martellus Bennett a lot of money. They signed Myers but he's limited athletically and a mediocre at best blocker - something the Giants value more than anything from their TEs. Robinson is the most talented TE the Giants have had on their roster since Jeremy Shockey and Myers is here on a 1-year deal so not much invested in him long-term.

keep in mind this is a guy playing around 270 pounds and tip-toeing sidelines/making circus catches. Just someone to keep an eye on because Myers is not the type of TE the Giants normally start. Wouldn't shock me if Myers is used as an h-back Chris Cooley type with Robinson eventually being the starter, especially because they don't have much invested in Myers and have been drooling over Robinson since he was drafted.

#2 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

He is like Virgil Green, except he is real.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#3 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

View Postpredator_05, on 18 March 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

He is like Virgil Green, except he is real.

Hey, don't you badmouth the messiah!
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Cam Newton
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Bishop Sankey, Mark Ingram, LeGarrette Blount
WR: Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Kelvin Benjamin, Justin Hunter, Jordan Matthews
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce, Tim Wright

12 Team Redraft, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Giovani Bernard, Doug Martin, Ray Rice, LeGarrette Blount, Andre Williams
WR: Dez Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Mike Wallace, Terrance Williams
TE: Jordan Cameron, Dennis Pitta, Travis Kelce

#4 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Robinson is bigger, stronger, faster.

Virgil has the experience ... and the name.

#5 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Giants GM Jerry Reese indicated that he expects second-year TE Adrien Robinson to be a blocking tight end.

Brandon Myers will be the pass catcher. Robinson, who was 6'5/269 coming out of Cincinnati, added over ten pounds during his rookie year. "The guy is 280 pounds, he ran a 4.57 at his Pro Day, and we think he can really develop into a terrific blocker," said Reese. "We’re expecting him to make a jump this season and ... give us some contributions as our big blocking tight end."

What is wrong with this sentence?

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Lamar Miller
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: CLE DST (15.06)
K: Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

Bench: Golden Tate (7.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Alex Smith

#6 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

That sentence is exactly why I expect him to take over at some point.

Assuming Cruz is back, they are loaded at WR (Nicks Cruz Randle) and have a 280 pound TE with 4.5 speed.

Randle, Robinson, Myers will be on the field in certain packages ... but there's gonna be a point where you can't take a guy that big/ fast off the field - assuming he produces.

They gave Myers a 4 year deal ... but 3 of them are voidable (I have no idea how this works, but I think it just lets them spread the signing bonus). Pretty sure Robinson is "the future".... but I wouldn't be shocked if he takes over by midseason.

A couple drops and this goes out the window.

#7 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

I don't know man, it sounds like they have visions of Myers being on the field in passing situations and Robinson being in to block.

Or if they're both on the field, Robinson will be blocking.. makes no sense to me, but whatever.
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Cam Newton
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Bishop Sankey, Mark Ingram, LeGarrette Blount
WR: Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Kelvin Benjamin, Justin Hunter, Jordan Matthews
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce, Tim Wright

12 Team Redraft, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Giovani Bernard, Doug Martin, Ray Rice, LeGarrette Blount, Andre Williams
WR: Dez Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Mike Wallace, Terrance Williams
TE: Jordan Cameron, Dennis Pitta, Travis Kelce

#8 Wardog

Wardog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:36 AM

I look at it as Myers being a stopgap until Robinson is ready to take over. Myers is definitely serviceable, ala Boss and Ballard, but Robinson has the tools to be a mismatch and a difference-maker at the position. It's all about creating a competitive advantage at a position to give you the edge on Sundays. Robinson will do that, Myers won't.

#9 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

View Postrraayy3, on 23 March 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Ummm yeah, I'd want a 6'5" 280 lb TE who runs a 4.5 catching as many passes as possible in addition to blocking.
2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Lamar Miller
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: CLE DST (15.06)
K: Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

Bench: Golden Tate (7.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Alex Smith

#10 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Myers is a good player but considering 75% of his contract is voidable, I think they still view Robinson as the longterm starter.

He has very little experience at TE, so the Giants needed a vet (Myers) just in case. No way they were going into the year with Pascoe/Robinson.

I think Myers could end up being used the way they wanted to use Beckham - basically a big WR in certain packages. I just can't see a way to keep Robinson on the bench unless he has a terrible training camp.

280, 4.5 speed, and a te coach that has made good players out of a lot less ... It's gonna be scary if this guy reaches his potential.

#11 Puk3s

Puk3s

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

View Postrraayy3, on 23 March 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Assuming Cruz is back, they are loaded at WR (Nicks Cruz Randle) and have a 280 pound TE with 4.5 speed.

Randle, Robinson, Myers will be on the field in certain packages ... but there's gonna be a point where you can't take a guy that big/ fast off the field - assuming he produces.

They gave Myers a 4 year deal ... but 3 of them are voidable (I have no idea how this works, but I think it just lets them spread the signing bonus). Pretty sure Robinson is "the future".... but I wouldn't be shocked if he takes over by midseason.

A couple drops and this goes out the window.

They do that so they can spread the bonus like you said, basically they pay 1/4 of the bonus this year then the other 3/4 next year if they void the contract. Slightly off topic but here is a great article that explains the salary cap really well http://www.packers.c...ba-94901744c1bd

More on topic, I feel the Giants will have problems keeping someone with the talent he has off the field. The real question is if he can catch and run routes well enough to put up big numbers because clearly he has the size and speed necessary to do so.
Owner of: www.analyzefantasyfootball.com
10 Team ESPN Standard Scoring League (2 Flex's and 2 extra bench slots)
QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Jamaal Charles, Andre Ellington, Rashard Mendenhall, Pierre Thomas, David Wilson, Joseph Randle
WR: Victor Cruz, DeSean Jackson, Danny Amendola, Miles Austin, Steve Smith, Emmanuel Sanders, Kenbrell Thompkins, Golden Tate, Marlon Brown
TE: Martellus Bennett
Def: Miami (streaming)
K: Mason Crosby

#12 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostDocJ, on 22 March 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Giants GM Jerry Reese indicated that he expects second-year TE Adrien Robinson to be a blocking tight end.
Brandon Myers will be the pass catcher. Robinson, who was 6'5/269 coming out of Cincinnati, added over ten pounds during his rookie year. "The guy is 280 pounds, he ran a 4.57 at his Pro Day, and we think he can really develop into a terrific blocker," said Reese. "We’re expecting him to make a jump this season and ... give us some contributions as our big blocking tight end."
Sounds like he is still raw and they want him to step up. How's his route running? Can he make tough catches in traffic? Is he a good blocker? The guy hardly played last year. On the All-Hype Team at this point. I would take a flyer on Taylor Thompson over this guy right now, especially with JCook moving on to STL.
Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#13 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Cook left, they signed Walker for enough to think he'll be the definite starter.

Bennett left, they signed Myers to a deal with 3 voidable years.

All the knocks on Robinson were pretty much "raw" and needs to gain strength. Apparently he's gained 20 pounds and still running 4.5, so ... who knows?

Probably a better pick in keeper/dynasty formats but could be a solid TE if he takes over this year. All the talent is there, just gotta wait to see if he develops.

Edited by rraayy3, 26 March 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#14 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

View Postrraayy3, on 26 March 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Cook left, they signed Walker for enough to think he'll be the definite starter.

All the knocks on Robinson were pretty much "raw" and needs to gain strength. Apparently he's gained 20 pounds and still running 4.5, so ... who knows?

Probably a better pick in keeper/dynasty formats but could be a solid TE if he takes over this year. All the talent is there, just gotta wait to see if he develops.
Yea, gained 20 lbs. eating sliders and ran 4.5 30....Taylor's better. I heard Robinson is kinda lazy. I mean, how hard is it to learn to block when you are built like the incredible hulk? They brought in Myers to light a fire under Robinson's #$% or as insurance in case Robinson doesn't progress. If he doesn't get it moving, they just extend Myers......and Delanie Walker is a glorified H-back, a joker TE at best. No threat to Taylor at all. Give me a break.

Edited by pikerbkb, 27 March 2013 - 01:35 AM.

Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#15 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

View Postpikerbkb, on 27 March 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

Yea, gained 20 lbs. eating sliders and ran 4.5 30....Taylor's better. I heard Robinson is kinda lazy. I mean, how hard is it to learn to block when you are built like the incredible hulk? They brought in Myers to light a fire under Robinson's #$% or as insurance in case Robinson doesn't progress. If he doesn't get it moving, they just extend Myers......and Delanie Walker is a glorified H-back, a joker TE at best. No threat to Taylor at all. Give me a break.

This may be the most useless post I've ever read on here. Did Adrien Robinson kill your dog or something? Blocking is all about leverage and technique, not just being big, and it needs to be taught - especially to "raw" prospects like Robinson (and Thompson).

They brought in Meyers because he came cheap and they had no legit veteran TE on the roster, not because Robinson is a lazy slider-eating bum that gained 20 pounds. I'm not even sure why I'll continue responding to this nonsense, but ...

Walker, the "glorified h-back", was given a 4 year deal with a whole lot more guaranteed than Meyers. This "glorified h-back" runs a 4.5 40 and is an excellent blocker. Myers is a stop gap with 3 voidable years in his deal. Keep telling yourself Walker's not a threat at all to Thompson - a guy that has done nothing in the NFL and his team just gave a 4-year deal to another TE (with 8M guaranteed).

The "4.5 30" and "how hard is it to learn to block when you are built like the incredible hulk?" show not only your comedic range, but also your vast knowledge of football and how it is played. Keep posting, we need more hard hitting analysis like "(lame joke)... Taylors better. I heard Robinson is kinda lazy."

#16 Wardog

Wardog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

I can't knock either of these guys as I think they both are oozing the upside that I love to have stashed at the end of my bench in my deep dynasty league. I don't see why liking one more means the other one is garbage. I have a hard time figuring which one I like more, but I imagine I'll have a clearer picture by the end of the season. I'd also throw James Hanna into the mix of high-upside 2nd year TEs, but I don't think he deserves a thread yet. I just thought I'd throw him in there as a sort of "chew toy" diversion for you two pit bulls since I think it's impossible to determine anything about these two TEs at this point except that both have huge upside.

Edited by Wardog, 27 March 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#17 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

All I'm saying is Robinson has a cheaper/less athletic guy in front of him, which I interpret as an "easier" path to playing time.

Walker is a great blocker with WR speed and got a fairly big contract. None of that can be said for Myers, the only guy standing in Robinson's way.

I like both of these guys, I've said both are worth monitoring. I just think Robinson has less competition to keep him off the field this year and beyond.

#18 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Postrraayy3, on 27 March 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

View Postpikerbkb, on 27 March 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

This may be the most useless post I've ever read on here. Did Adrien Robinson kill your dog or something? Blocking is all about leverage and technique, not just being big, and it needs to be taught - especially to "raw" prospects like Robinson (and Thompson).

They brought in Meyers because he came cheap and they had no legit veteran TE on the roster, not because Robinson is a lazy slider-eating bum that gained 20 pounds. I'm not even sure why I'll continue responding to this nonsense, but ...

Walker, the "glorified h-back", was given a 4 year deal with a whole lot more guaranteed than Meyers. This "glorified h-back" runs a 4.5 40 and is an excellent blocker. Myers is a stop gap with 3 voidable years in his deal. Keep telling yourself Walker's not a threat at all to Thompson - a guy that has done nothing in the NFL and his team just gave a 4-year deal to another TE (with 8M guaranteed).

The "4.5 30" and "how hard is it to learn to block when you are built like the incredible hulk?" show not only your comedic range, but also your vast knowledge of football and how it is played. Keep posting, we need more hard hitting analysis like "(lame joke)...Taylors better. I heard Robinson is kinda lazy."
Yea, well you're a useless post you useless poster you. As a matter of fact, yes, with the help of Mike Vick, he kill my dog. Is Adrien Robinson your biological fahther or something? Serious bromance dude. Blocking is not rocket science...... leverage and technique, blah blah, it's mostly about effort and putting pads on someone god*&^&&* and Robinson needs to grow a pair!. Hey, I can't help it if the Titans want to throw away their money on the next "Marcel Reese" and a guy who did next to nothing for 7 years in the NFL except catch a couple passes and mostly block and sit on the bench.....seriously though, essentially they are paying Walker around $2.65 per on avg. which means that even if they use him as a fullback to lead block and rotate him into some pass routes, they are still getting their money's worth and could cut him after 3 years. Chump change. As soon as Taylor is ready he will be a glorified utility back. Get real puh-lease.

Edited by pikerbkb, 28 March 2013 - 01:37 AM.

Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#19 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

View PostWardog, on 27 March 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

I can't knock either of these guys as I think they both are oozing the upside that I love to have stashed at the end of my bench in my deep dynasty league. I don't see why liking one more means the other one is garbage. I have a hard time figuring which one I like more, but I imagine I'll have a clearer picture by the end of the season. I'd also throw James Hanna into the mix of high-upside 2nd year TEs, but I don't think he deserves a thread yet. I just thought I'd throw him in there as a sort of "chew toy" diversion for you two pit bulls since I think it's impossible to determine anything about these two TEs at this point except that both have huge upside.
I like Hanna too. Got him stashed on my bench. Love all these guys, Taylor, Hanna, Walker, Meier, Reese, then maybe Robinson, if he gets it together, in that order.

Edited by pikerbkb, 28 March 2013 - 01:40 AM.

Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#20 CL3VELANDBR0WNS

CL3VELANDBR0WNS

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Robinson is going to be great next year. Myers if going to be an FA.
14 tm non-ppr dynasty 30-man
QB- RG3, Carr
RB- Martin, Gio, Pierre, DMC, Bryce, Dunbar, Stewart, Riddick.
WR- Sammy Watkins, Michael Floyd, Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, Kendall Wright, Justin Hunter, Kenny Britt, Mike Williams, Brian Quick, Marquess Wilson
TE- Gronk, Reed,CJF
DT- Sen'Derrick Marks
LB-Mosley, Shazier
CB- Justin Gilbert
S- Cyprien
IR- Blackmon, KHunter, Alonso, Gordon, DWashington

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users