Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Rick Porcello 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
573 replies to this topic

#1 dorsett33

dorsett33

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

Any thoughts on Rick Porcello in 2013? He is currently battling Smyly for the 5th spot in the Tigers rotation and is having a lights-out spring--18 innings 18 K's/0BB's 2.50ERA .209 BAA

At 25 he is still young and plays on a team that scores runs. In many leagues he is going undrafted. Finally rumors that he could get traded might help him move up to a 3 or 4 starter on another team. At the ridiculously low price Im buying.

#2 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Porcello is always an intriguing guy. He is still so young and has a lot to like, but it just hasn't come together yet. As a last-round or undrafted add, he's worth a shot. Very nice spring numbers.

#3 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Don't waste your time drafting him. The Tigers are doing a great job of increasing interest. They will trade him and the way they are going they will get a premium for him. I still think Detroit would be smart to keep him, but if they get a great offer than maybe moving him is the way to go. He makes good insurance for the Tigers. What are the chances the 5 other Tiger starters go the full season without injuries. Both Scherzer and Fister missed a lot of time last year.

#4 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Any thoughts on Rick Porcello in 2013? He is currently battling Smyly for the 5th spot in the Tigers rotation and is having a lights-out spring--18 innings 18 K's/0BB's 2.50ERA .209 BAA

At 25 he is still young and plays on a team that scores runs. In many leagues he is going undrafted. Finally rumors that he could get traded might help him move up to a 3 or 4 starter on another team. At the ridiculously low price Im buying.

The one thing when a guy has an amazing spring or a rough spring, I look back to their Springs of the past. I did this with Lincecum to see that even when he was the best P in baseball, the guy was throwing up 6+ ERA in Spring, so its really tough to gauge. I did the same last night with Porcello and found 2 things:
1. The last three years, he has had really good springs, I think two of the years the ERA was in the 1's in 17-22 innings.
2. The difference this year in the K's. His K rate in the past 3 springs has been very similar to what it is in the regular season (which quite frankly is a liability in roto) but this year its a K per inning in spring. So maybe something is different.

Im not sure Im a buyer on Porcello yet, but what its really doing is muddling my feelings towards Smyly who with 94K in 99innings on a good team I really thought could be a good end of the night $1 candidate to fill the last few spots on the staff.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#5 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

The one thing when a guy has an amazing spring or a rough spring, I look back to their Springs of the past. I did this with Lincecum to see that even when he was the best P in baseball, the guy was throwing up 6+ ERA in Spring, so its really tough to gauge. I did the same last night with Porcello and found 2 things:
1. The last three years, he has had really good springs, I think two of the years the ERA was in the 1's in 17-22 innings.
2. The difference this year in the K's. His K rate in the past 3 springs has been very similar to what it is in the regular season (which quite frankly is a liability in roto) but this year its a K per inning in spring. So maybe something is different.

Im not sure Im a buyer on Porcello yet, but what its really doing is muddling my feelings towards Smyly who with 94K in 99innings on a good team I really thought could be a good end of the night $1 candidate to fill the last few spots on the staff.

He's scrapped his slider for a curveball...and it's a really nice curve also. Buy...

#6 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'd love to see him end up in the NL.
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#7 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'd love to see him end up in the NL.

Amen. He's got a great amount of potential.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#8 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

He's way too hittable. His BABIP is consistently above the league average -- an indication that hitters aren't just making contact but really teeing off. His K rate is putrid for fantasy purposes. I could live with it if I'm punting K's but then I'd be looking at decent pitchers like Buerhle or Hudson. Porcello would be among the last guys I'd ever consider rostering except for streaming.

Among ERA qualifiers ...
2012: 7th lowest in K/9
2011: 12th lowest in K/9
2010: 4th lowest in K/9

2010-2012: 4th highest BABIP

Superb guy for razzball leagues, at least for the last few years.

There has been some talk about making him the closer, in which case he'd have a ton of value. But he still seems to be a longshot for that role.

Edited by cymbaline, 20 March 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#9 jammer2

jammer2

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

I noticed a growing trend this spring, Porcello is getting a lot of easy starts. A lot of home games at Joker Merchant Stadium, with a favourable match up....ie another teams B team with very few ML ballplayers on it. Seems like the Tigers are sheltering him in a way, trying to make sure they get the maximum value return for their guy, which necessiatates wicked spring training numbers...just say'in, be careful!
Standard Yahoo, head to head league Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL Batters Stat Categories: Runs ®, Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG) Pitchers Stat Categories:
Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

SP Stephen Strasburg,Jered Weaver, Max Scherzer, Doug Fister, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, Shelby Miller, F.Dubront   
RP Jason Motte, Bruce Rondon, Jason Grilli,
C V.Martinez,   
1B Pujols, Swisher (1B/OF)
2B Zobrist (2B,SS,OF),
3B Middlebrooks, Matt Carpenter (3B,1B,OF),   
SS Rollins,   
OF HunterPence, Tori Hunter, Josh Reddick, David Murphy,
Util Jurickson Profar,

#10 Hanghow

Hanghow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I am buying. Like 96mnc said, he's replaced his slider with a curveball, which makes me optimistic that there's something to his apparent improvement this spring. His slider last year was so bad, it was the subject of a Fangraphs post titled "Stop Throwing That":

http://www.fangraphs...rcellos-slider/

#11 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

He's way too hittable. His BABIP is consistently above the league average -- an indication that hitters aren't just making contact but really teeing off. His K rate is putrid for fantasy purposes. I could live with it if I'm punting K's but then I'd be looking at decent pitchers like Buerhle or Hudson. Porcello would be among the last guys I'd ever consider rostering except for streaming.

Among ERA qualifiers ...
2012: 7th lowest in K/9
2011: 12th lowest in K/9
2010: 4th lowest in K/9

2010-2012: 4th highest BABIP

Superb guy for razzball leagues, at least for the last few years.

There has been some talk about making him the closer, in which case he'd have a ton of value. But he still seems to be a longshot for that role.

There are times that a pitcher (or hitter) mkes a very real change in their approach or stuff that leads to a jump in performance. We saw it with the Shark and Rodney last year. I'm speculating that Porcello could be that guy this year based on a very real change in his arsenal.

If he gets traded to SD I'm going to be extremely excited. A (potential) increase in K's due to change in stuff, a better defensive infield behind him, a move to the DH-less NL from the AL, AND Petco Park? Sign me up.

#12 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Know who Porcello reminds me of? Kazmir...but with much less talent.
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#13 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Can someone please explain to me why Porcello seems to be a guy alot of teams want?

He's been garbage since he's entered the league. What am i not understanding here?

#14 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

He's a former top prospect, he's young, Tigers always rush pitchers, and he's 18/0 k/bb ratio right now in spring training.
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
C: Yan Gomes
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Dustin Pedroia
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Alex Rios
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Zack Greinke
SP: Jered Weaver
SP: Johnny Cueto
RP: Jason Grilli
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#15 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Detroit always over valued Porcello. He does not throw hard enough and has a limited supply of pitches. But starting pitchers are a premium and he is still young. Personally unless they can get a nice closer if I am the Tigers I keep Porcello because one of the other 5 starters will get hurt at some point. I give Dombrowski a lot of credit he is really playing this cool. Should of done the same with Boesch though. A Boesch/Porcello package was not bad.

#16 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

With his low K amount, his ERA and WHIP have to be damn low to balance that out. I don't think he even has Tim Hudson upside, especially in the AL.

He'll have value, but personally I hope the hype train continues and someone else takes him earlier than he should go.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#17 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Detroit always over valued Porcello. He does not throw hard enough and has a limited supply of pitches. But starting pitchers are a premium and he is still young. Personally unless they can get a nice closer if I am the Tigers I keep Porcello because one of the other 5 starters will get hurt at some point. I give Dombrowski a lot of credit he is really playing this cool. Should of done the same with Boesch though. A Boesch/Porcello package was not bad.

Why do people assume Porcello doesn't throw hard? Because of the lack of K's?

#18 Hanghow

Hanghow

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Average fastball velocity improved last year to 93.46, which is of course not bad. A number of his other stats also trended the right direction last year, and that was while he was throwing the worst pitch in baseball (his slider according to fangraphs), which has now been replaced with a more competent (at least) curveball. His K/9 and FIP both improved last year (FIP was under 4, so look out if he gets traded to a team with a better infield defense). Also, remember that he is younger than Stephen Strasburg... plenty of guys would be making these adjustments at the minor league levels at this point in their career and could still be thought of as top prospects. I think as far as late sleepers go, you won't do much better.

#19 MOFUGGER

MOFUGGER

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

I have always been a believer. Porcello definitely did a lot of his learning at the big league level. I also feel he's going to really get it together this year. A great value here.

#20 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

Just because you throw hard doesnt mean you will K anyone. or be any good either.

SIncerely,
Mike Pelfrey