Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Yovani Gallardo 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
606 replies to this topic

#1 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

Seems his stock has absolutely vanished. A popular pick in previous years, but perhaps folks have finally grown tired of his inconsistencies?
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#2 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

I just don't like his hair. Grande.
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#3 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:53 AM

People have just finally caught on that he is what he is at this point. You can pretty much bank on a k per inning which is definitely valuable, but in his 4 full seasons he has posted WHIP's of 1.31, 1.37, 1.22, 1.30. People always expect him to make some leap and take it to the next level one of these years, and maybe it will still happen, but finally he's just being drafted for what he is rather than being reached for with the expected growth priced into his ADP.

Oh and if you draft him you really have to commit to NEVER watching him pitch. The dude will nibble off the plate for days, and refuses to adjust even when the ump establishes the zone. He is actually fairly consistent in giving out the YoGa special- 6 IP, 4 hits, 4 walks, 3 ER, 6 K's, not terrible, but always leaves you wanting more. Even his good starts where he goes 7 IP 1 run or something it will come with 8 baserunners or so, then you combine that with the blow up starts and boom say hello to your one-point-three WHIP. He NEVER has those CG 2 hitters or 8 IP 3 baserunner games like the elite guys.

Edited by Wombat, 21 March 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#4 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

if you can get him late....

a) stash him for April; he is terrible in Aprils
B) play him May, June and some July
c) trade his butt in July
d) profit
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#5 W74

W74

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Or just don't start him against St. Louis...

#6 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Watching this guy pitch last year for my fantasy team was absolute torture. The dude gets ahead in the count and nibbles. Very annoying, and you have to commit yourself to not watch any of his starts, or even follow them on scorecenter apps. Find time to mow the lawn or watch a movie while he is pitching, and check the final results, or else you will end up with high blood pressure and no hair by the end of the season. Also, bench him against the Cardinals. No matter what lineup they throw out there.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#7 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,766 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Lets just say that i now use a universal cable remote now due to the destruction of my original verizon remote which was induced by watching this clown pitch...Yup this sums it up for me. :lol:
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#8 Chasing Utley

Chasing Utley

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

People have just finally caught on that he is what he is at this point. You can pretty much bank on a k per inning which is definitely valuable, but in his 4 full seasons he has posted WHIP's of 1.31, 1.37, 1.22, 1.30. People always expect him to make some leap and take it to the next level one of these years, and maybe it will still happen, but finally he's just being drafted for what he is rather than being reached for with the expected growth priced into his ADP.

Oh and if you draft him you really have to commit to NEVER watching him pitch. The dude will nibble off the plate for days, and refuses to adjust even when the ump establishes the zone. He is actually fairly consistent in giving out the YoGa special- 6 IP, 4 hits, 4 walks, 3 ER, 6 K's, not terrible, but always leaves you wanting more. Even his good starts where he goes 7 IP 1 run or something it will come with 8 baserunners or so, then you combine that with the blow up starts and boom say hello to your one-point-three WHIP. He NEVER has those CG 2 hitters or 8 IP 3 baserunner games like the elite guys.

I think this is an accurate assessment of what's happened to his ADP. I was one of the people who bought into the projected leap last year on account on the 1.22 WHIP in 2011 and his amazing finish to that season. I thought he was turning that corner. But the frustration this guy brings and his blowup starts are just terrible. Yes, his final numbers are usually good. The 15+ Wins and 200+ K's have definite value. But his mid-3 ERA and 1.30 WHIP are just nothing special in the "age of the pitcher" where low-3 ERA's abound and can be had so late and comparatively cheap in drafts (Matt Harrison, Ryan Vogelsong, Jon Niese, etc.)

And as mentioned, even his good starts lack efficiency. He didn't complete 8 innings in a single start last year and only made it past the 7th once because of his walks and high pitch counts.

#9 battle2heaven

battle2heaven

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

If you play Ina qs league, he has more value. One of the leaders in quality starts last year.

But yeah, don't watch his starts.
12 Team .5 PPR

QB Andrew Luck
WR AJ Green
WR Brandon Marshall
WR Kelvin Benjamin
RB Rashad Jennings
RB Stevan Ridley
TE Rob Gronkowski
FLX Ahmad Bradshaw

Bench
Justin Hunter/John Brown/Allen Robinson/Davante Adams
Knowshon Moreno/Benny Cunningham/Jerick McKinnon
Travis Kelce

#10 charliehustler

charliehustler

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

one of a few guys to have over 200K 3 years in a row. You know pretty much what he's giving you. If he gets the control in order then look out.
12 team .5 PPR

QB(1) Romo Dalton
RB(2) Martin Vereen JBell Sproles DBrown
WR/TE(3) Dez Nelson Harvin Cameron Hunter Dobson
K(1)Houshka
D(1)Cardinals Saints

#11 Runelvys Hernandez

Runelvys Hernandez

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

I like him. I grabbed him for $16 in my league, a bargain in my eyes. With keeper inflation, Gio Gonzalez went for $24, Scherzer for $22, and guys like Harvey and Samardzija went for $14. So I was very pleased to get Gallardo for $16.

I never target him, but always seem to get him, and I'm always happy with the results. I'm a stat geek and I keep track of a lot of my league's all time stats, as well my team's all time roster and stats over the years. So far I've had Gallardo for parts of 2 seasons (traded for him in early May twice), and his performance: 320.1 IP, 28-10, 3.51 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, and 341 K. Sure, the WHIP is a little high, but the guy makes quality starts and strikes guys out.

Baseball: 16-team 6X6 (+OPS and Losses) H2H Keeper League (5 keepers, +$3 every year kept, $275 cap, 25-man rosters, $50 FAAB/season) | Since 2004 - Champions 2007, 2009, 2012, 2014 
C: E. Gattis (11)
1B: E. Encarnacion (9)
2B: J. Rutledge (1)
3B: M. Cabrera (46)
SS: J. Peralta (11)
OF: M. Trout (10), J. Heyward (24), C. Dickerson (1)
Util: D. Ortiz (26), R. Davis (2), M. Betts (39)
Bench: M. Teixeira (1), J. Schafer (1), Y. Grandal (1)
DL: E. Cabrera ($1)
SP: F. Hernandez (39), G. Cole (30), C. Kluber (7), I. Kennedy (1), K. Lohse (2), D. Keuchel (1), J. Vargas (1)
RP: J. Papelbon (11), C. Qualls (1), S. Casilla (1), J. Petricka (1), A. Sanchez (1)
DL: H. Bailey (6)

#12 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

He's been pretty consistent the past 3 years just don't draft him to be an ace. There are some really bad starts mixed in with brilliance, at the end of the year, you know more or less what you are getting. Just have to plug your nose for the blow-ups. Overall, YoGo is a solid #3 in a 12 team league, imo.

#13 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Like I said, you play him May-July and then trade him

Here's why

http://espn.go.com/m...yovani-gallardo
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#14 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Where is the love? This thread just got started? I feel ashamed. I think Yovani could make a run at a Cy Young this year. I'm pumped about him in 2013. He's a great value.

Edited by FouLLine, 21 March 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#15 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Where is the love? This thread just got started? I feel ashamed. I think Yovani could make a run at a Cy Young this year. I'm pumped about him in 2013. He's a great value.

Why this year though? I feel like this has been said every year for the last 3 years or so. Don't get me wrong, I actually think he's a pretty decent value for where he's going because he's a consistent source of K's and you just hope for the best WHIP wise. But I just don't see what would indicate THIS is the year he puts it all together.

#16 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Why this year though? I feel like this has been said every year for the last 3 years or so. Don't get me wrong, I actually think he's a pretty decent value for where he's going because he's a consistent source of K's and you just hope for the best WHIP wise. But I just don't see what would indicate THIS is the year he puts it all together.

Sometimes a switch goes on for talented pitchers for no apparent reason. Gaillardo has the ability and skills so all he needs is a bit of luck to put together a monster season. Yo's xFIP the last few years have been better than his ERA. Avoiding a couple of disastrous outings would drastically change his ERA and WHIP.
www. drafttracker.net

#17 lassetjus

lassetjus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Not saying he is going to take a step forward this year, but the ingredients are there, just like every other year we thought.

2012 2nd half:
10 wins, 3 losses, 3.24 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 9.1 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 50% GB rate

As mentioned earlier, he is a quality start monster, with 25 last year, he had more than Kershaw and Gio Gonzalez. With the right amount of run support, he's got a shot at 20 wins.

How many SP3 fantasy starters have that potential? And if you can get him as an SP4, that is ridiculous value.

Edited by lassetjus, 21 March 2013 - 11:02 PM.

12-team H2H $$ Keeper League (4 Keepers From Round Taken, 3-Year Max Contract) (10th year in existence, 4-time Champion, 2-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Travis d'Arnaud
1B-Freddie Freeman (4)
2B-Anthony Rendon
3B-Nolan Arenado
SS-Mookie Betts
LF-Corey Dickerson
CF-Yasiel Puig (16)
RF-Jorge Soler
UTIL-Antoan Richardson

SP-Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner (3), Julio Teheran, Tanner Roark, Yordano Ventura, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Yusmeiro Petit
RP-Aroldis Chapman, Trevor Rosenthal, Jenrry Mejia, Ken Giles, Luke Gregerson, Brett Cecil

#18 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Like I said, you play him May-July and then trade him

Here's why

http://espn.go.com/m...yovani-gallardo

He's clearly a slow starter, and he sucks against the Cards, but even in August during that span, he's won 10 of his 16 starts and he's had an excellent K-rate with 114 K's in 104.1 innings. Even at a 3.88 ERA that's a huge help for your team.

#19 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Once he stops nibbling all the time, then IMO he will become elite.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#20 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Once he stops nibbling all the time, then IMO he will become elite.

Who, Matt Adams?

Seriously though, at this point Gallardo is what he is.
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back