Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Aramis Ramirez 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
198 replies to this topic

#1 clintonj8

clintonj8

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

What am I missing here? He posted the following lines over the last two years:

2012: 92 runs, 27 HR, 105 RBI, 9 Stls, .300
2011: 80 runs, 26 HR, 93 RBI, 1 Stl, .306

Thats incredible consistency and performance. He's drafted late, receives no hype and doesn't have a page in late March. Any reason he isn't a top 3B?

#2 Lemasive

Lemasive

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Thats incredible consistency and performance. He's drafted late, receives no hype and doesn't have a page in late March. Any reason he isn't a top 3B?

Because he needs 2-3 months do actually heat up and by then you have already traded him away.
Swedish guy with an all swedish Baseball Fantasy League just trying to swim in deep unkown waters.

#3 jscott26

jscott26

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'm not sure Aramis and consistent belong in the same sentence. Of course I'm coming from a H2H perspective. He's pretty darn streaky (slow starter). He's also 34 (in dominican years) so that kinda mileage has people a bit hesitant.

That aside, I drafted him in the 8th round of my league and would have taken him ahead of Lawrie, Panda, and Headley. Although his numbers can vary week to week, in the end I expect him to put up somewhat similar numbers to last year, minus the steals (those came outta nowhere).

Edited by jscott26, 21 March 2013 - 11:37 AM.

10 Team H2H categories, Keep any 5

Hitting: R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, OPS
Pitching:  W, CG, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, QS, NH, PG

C- Y. Molina
1B- E. Hosmer
2B- R. Cano
3B- A. Ramirez
SS- I. Desmond
OF- M. Trout
OF- B. Harper
OF- J. Werth
Util- A. Rod (3B)
Util- K. Morales (1B)

SP-   C. Kershaw, M. Bumgarner, Y. Darvish, D. Fister, J. Lackey, K. Lohse, I. Kennedy, S. Kazmir, Miguel Gonzalez
RP-   J. Nathan, G. Holland, M. Melancon, K. Gregg

#4 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

IMO, he's the ideal value guy along with Konerko. I have owned him many seasons in the past.

Most years he's pre-seasonally ranked out of the top 50, sometimes 80 or higher.
Most years he returns a top 50 seasonal ranking.

He puts up the stats that Longoria and Zimmerman owners hope to get but often can be drafted many rounds later in snake.

The reasons for his low rank are kind of puzzling to me but it comes down to age, injury history and a number of draft-for-upside 3B guys ahead of him.

A lot better in roto than H2H due to his chronic April/May slumps.

#5 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,026 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

If his name was Aramis Lawrie and was 24 years old he would have 38 pages by now. But he is Aramis Ramirez and has been around for awhile and gets no respect. Most of the players who get a lot of love/hype around here are young players. Those are the players that people are usually most attracted too. But give me an Aram over Lawrie anyday of the week.

#6 Caelum

Caelum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I wind up with him on one, or sometimes all, teams almost every year. He's so chronically under-rated. I got him in the 10th round last year, and after he put up yet another .300-27-100 type season, I figured I wouldn't get him as a bargain again this year. Wrong. He inched up, but just to the end of the eighth round in one league and seventh in another.

He may not be consistent from month to month, but in standard mixed league, he's as consistent as it gets from year to year, yet people don't expect much from him. They must have a hard time getting over how bad he is in April and/or May. I get frustrated with that every year too, but after his big stat correction in the summer, all is forgiven.

And I don't know why he got some sort of injury-prone label. He's played 149 game the past two years, and only played less than 123 games once in the past 12 seasons. He'll get a few day-to-day things and a reasonably small DL stint here and there, but with the exception of one season has avoided major injuries. He's 34 and might start declining at any time, but until he shows me a sign of that, I'm still considering him a steal in rounds 7-9.

Edited by Caelum, 21 March 2013 - 11:47 AM.

10-team mixed, 5x5

C: Ramos, Mesoraco
1B: Vargas; 2B: Carpenter; SS: D. Santana; 3B: Donaldson
MI: Wong; CI: Uribe
OF: Crawford, Soler, Dickerson, Eaton, Pearce
U: Ortiz
SP: Cueto, Iwakuma, A. Wood, Pineda, Fiers, Carrasco
RP: Chapman, Storen, Doolittle, Britton
Bench: Inciarte, Betts, Marisnick, Petit, Lohse, Peavy

#7 ComericanPie

ComericanPie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Grabbed him at the end of round 6 in my 12-teamer, which I'm feeling pretty confident about. First time owning him and I'm just hoping he has one more monster extra-base hitting year in the tank. He also said he's trying to work on fixing his slow starting ways a bit; not that his intention to do that will lead to guaranteed results, but at least he's trying. As one of the most notorious second-half players in baseball, if you have a contending team then he really becomes more of a h2h asset than a liability.

#8 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,855 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Reminds me of Paul Pierce in hoops and Hines Ward when he played for the Steelers. Just shows up every year and puts up the numbers. He's underrated in real life and fantasy.
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#9 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

No one wants to take Ramirez because he's not really someone that gets people excited. Taking a guy like Harper will have people excited because of how young he is and what his ceiling could be. ARam is consistently underrated in drafts and is someone I always take. He'll have a slow start to the year, that's a given, but you just have to ride it out. At the end of the year, the stats are always there.
Bring back Ray!

#10 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Took him with my 9th round pick. I thought that was decent value.
www. drafttracker.net

#11 XRayyCat

XRayyCat

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hurt himself sliding into second, walked around a little, then left the game. Looked like a knee.
ESPN 12 Team Standard League

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Matt Forte
RB: Gio Bernard
WR: Randall Cobb
WR: Michael Floyd
TE: Vernon Davis
Flex: Lamar Miller
K: Cody Parkey
D/ST: Streaming

Bench: Ahmad Bradshaw, Toby Gerhart, Terrance Williams, Brian Quick, Markus Wheaton, Josh Gordon, Robert Turbin

#12 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Same knee he hurt in spring training. Cost him just over 2 weeks then. I doubt he plays the weekend, he jammed it pretty hard going into second.

#13 overkill94

overkill94

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

At least he was walking around, hopefully it's just a day-to-day thing. I can't take another DL player!!!

#14 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

At least he was walking around, hopefully it's just a day-to-day thing. I can't take another DL player!!!

He was walking, but with a very bad limp. I'd be shocked if he plays the weekend, at the very least. Teams dont push banged up players early in April.

#15 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

HardballTalk ‏@HardballTalk

Aramis Ramirez exits game with apparent injury http://dlvr.it/3BSpHN #mlb #hbt

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#16 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Damnit!

#17 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,657 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

Man, third basemen cannot catch a break this season.

#18 Tryptamine

Tryptamine

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Sandoval, Aramis, ARod, Headley, Hanley, Freese, Lawrie all hurt. Suddenly 3B has become ridiculously shallow.
10 Team H2H Redraft 5th pick (QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,TE,Flex,D/ST,K)
(3-5)
QB:Matt Ryan
RB:DeMarco Murray
RB:Jerick McKinnon
WR:Sammy Watkins
WR:Desean Jackson
TE:Rob Gronkowski
FLEX:Denard Robinson
D/ST: Denver
K: Steve Hauschka
Bench:Calvin,FJax,Mathews,Boldin,Wayne,Stacy,Sankey

#19 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Sandoval, Aramis, ARod, Headley, Hanley, Freese, Lawrie all hurt. Suddenly 3B has become ridiculously shallow.

This +1. Im thanking my lucky stars I have Kyle Seager, Mike Moustakas and Mark Reynolds all on my roster right now.

#20 moeron22

moeron22

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

The highlight didn't look pretty, he was in a lot of pain. Hopefully the MRI comes back clean and he's only out for a few days, though I think this has DL written all over it.