Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Joe Mauer 2013 Outlook4th batting title on deck?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Tchaikovsky08

Tchaikovsky08

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Ho hum, nothing to see here folks. Just a catcher hitting .400 with zero Ks during the spring. Had a 3 run bomb and 6 RBIs today too.

Mauer was surprisingly healthy last year following his injury plagued 2011. With more and more games at 1B, is he looking at another 145+ games played? If so, he's a virtual lock for .300 / 80 / 10 / 80 / 5. I'd wager he's more around .325 again this year with a .400+ OBP. Highly valuable to normalize your rate stats.

#2 phillyloveslee

phillyloveslee

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

So apparently he's batting 2nd to start the season. As an owner, I'm not sure if I like this. It does allow Willingham to bat 3rd and Morneau to bat cleanup, but I think it does hurt Mauer's value. He may score more runs, but he won't get as many RBIs which will bring his value down. One interesting tidbit though - Mauer's career stats out of the 2-hole: 291 ABs and 11 HRs...not sure if he changes his swing, but that would be on pace for 20-25 HRs. That would be a nice improvement.

#3 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

View Postphillyloveslee, on 31 March 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

So apparently he's batting 2nd to start the season. As an owner, I'm not sure if I like this. It does allow Willingham to bat 3rd and Morneau to bat cleanup, but I think it does hurt Mauer's value. He may score more runs, but he won't get as many RBIs which will bring his value down. One interesting tidbit though - Mauer's career stats out of the 2-hole: 291 ABs and 11 HRs...not sure if he changes his swing, but that would be on pace for 20-25 HRs. That would be a nice improvement.

Could also be because he was still hitting in the Metrodome. Target Field has not been kind to Mauer (5 HR's in 677 AB's).

I just checked and 9 of those 11 HR's came in 2009. The year he hit 28 HR's. In those other 160 AB's as the #2 hitter he has hit 2.

Edited by Sine_cera, 31 March 2013 - 11:45 AM.

"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#4 prowlers

prowlers

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Can't think of a catcher batting in the 2 hole all year long. His AB's will definately be among the league leaders for the C position as he will see time as the DH and at 1B also. From a daily lineup perspective it is encouraging. Looking forward to a great year from him.
Sandlot Punks-14 teams/30 man rosters/2 DL/MUST own 7 SP-3 RP/Daily lineups/Points league-Record 18-10
Start 1 C/1B/2B/3B/MI/CI/4 OF/2 Util/5SP/2 RP
Hitting Scoring-1Pt ea.-Sin/BB/HP/GS/HRIP/R/RBI/SH 1.5 pts-Stl 2 pts-Dbl 3 pts-Trip 4 pts-HR 8 pts-CYC K's-(-.5)
Pitching Scoring-L-(-2) BS-(-1.5) ER-(-.5) PG-15 CG-10 NH-9 SV-8 W-7 HD-5 QS-4 SO-2 K's-1 Inn-.5
Roster-Pick 11/14 teams/Max of 3 SP moves per week/CBS league/7TH year
C-Mauer(1b)/Doumit (OF)/McCann
1B-Morneau/C. Johnson(3b)(Satin
CI-Ruf
2B-Prado(SS/3B/OF)/Profar
SS-Aybar/Simmons/A. Escobar
MI
3B-Beltre/Arenado(SS)/Reandon
OF-Cespedes/C.Gonzolez/Bautista/Parra//C. Gomez
2 UTIL
DL-Konorko
SP-Harvey/Medlen/Tillman/Garza/Cole/Gee/E. Ramirez
RP-Henderson/Bailey/Gregerson
DL-Beachy

#5 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

In the AL 2nd versus 3rd isn't going to make a huge difference.  Marginally more PA, possibly less RBI chances in his first AB but really its negligible.

#6 bigge2win

bigge2win

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

If anything, Mauer hitting 2nd might benefit his RBI. If they put a bottom of the order hitter in the 2-hole, there may be a lot of 3rd outs and GIDPs with RISP in front of him. When the leadoff hitter gets on, he'll have ABs to drive him in and not hope a terrible hitter can extend the inning. It didn't change my projections of his RBI at 80 for 2013. Hopefully, Hicks gets on as frequently as Span has in the past.

#7 blangtang

blangtang

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Media inquiries into moving Mauer to 2nd...

"As I told you guys, I wanted to bat him 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but I can only put him in one place."

-Gardenhire

#8 LaserShow

LaserShow

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

First home run and RBI of the season. Opposite Field Mauer Power.

Having him hit second really ties his value directly to Aaron Hicks. He hasn't had many RBI chances so far. It'll be tough for him to reach 80+ RBIs again if Hicks doesnt start hitting.

#9 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

0 for his last 16.  not too concerned just frustrating as i could have really used a normal mauer week for my current matchup!

Edited by MiggyRunsTings, 28 April 2013 - 03:24 PM.

12-team Mixed H2H 5x5 (OBP) Keeper League (6 keeps)

C: Joe Mauer $18 (K)   
1B: Anthony Rizzo $12 (K)
2B: Brian Dozier FA
SS: Andrelton Simmons $4
3B: Miggy Cabrera $41 (K)
IF: David Wright $29
OF: Matt Kemp $27
OF: Brett Gardner $15
OF: Hunter Pence $13 (K)
OF: Dexter Fowler $8
U: Adam Eaton $3
B: Justin Smoak FA

SP: Jose Fernandez $5 (K), Cole Hamels $17, Julio Teheran $11 (K), Clay Buchholz $5, Alex Wood $5, Jake Peavy $1, Michael Pineda $1. Juan Nicasio FA, Brandon Morrow FA
RP: Jason Grilli $8, Ernesto Frieri $10, J.J. Hoover FA
ML: Kevin Gausman $1, Brad Miller $1
DL: Jurickson Profar $8, Matt Moore $11

#10 Tchaikovsky08

Tchaikovsky08

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostMiggyRunsTings, on 28 April 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

0 for his last 16.  not too concerned just frustrating as i could have really used a normal mauer week for my current matchup!

Completely agreed.  He's 2/22 this matchup with zero counting stats outside of one piddling RBI., as I struggle to keep pace in AVG.  I love me some Mauer and agreed am not concerned yet, but I hope he gets back to his LD hitting ways soon.

FWIW, just a couple series' ago he was 8/10 against the Angels.

#11 mendozalineup

mendozalineup

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

0 for 20 - ewwww.

#12 TribeFoo

TribeFoo

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

This drought has been brutal. He's one of the last guys on my squad that I worry about, but this seems very un-Mauer-like.

#13 TribeFoo

TribeFoo

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hitting .373 (22/59) lifetime against Verlander...time to bust out of this slump!

#14 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

i very much regret drafting this guy.  i've never owned him prior to this year, always believed he was overrated in fantasy, but this year at the auction i panicked for some stupid reason.  $18 on a 2 category guy.  his high BA/OBP and overall consistency is just not enough to warrant the high price tag.  I'd deal him if i could, but the chances of getting anything of value are remote.  Most people have a better performing catcher or one that's not far behind for a fraction of the price.  So mad at myself though, I always grab cheap catchers, or find one off the wire like Wilin last year...that $18 could have bought some nice pitching, sigh.
12-team Mixed H2H 5x5 (OBP) Keeper League (6 keeps)

C: Joe Mauer $18 (K)   
1B: Anthony Rizzo $12 (K)
2B: Brian Dozier FA
SS: Andrelton Simmons $4
3B: Miggy Cabrera $41 (K)
IF: David Wright $29
OF: Matt Kemp $27
OF: Brett Gardner $15
OF: Hunter Pence $13 (K)
OF: Dexter Fowler $8
U: Adam Eaton $3
B: Justin Smoak FA

SP: Jose Fernandez $5 (K), Cole Hamels $17, Julio Teheran $11 (K), Clay Buchholz $5, Alex Wood $5, Jake Peavy $1, Michael Pineda $1. Juan Nicasio FA, Brandon Morrow FA
RP: Jason Grilli $8, Ernesto Frieri $10, J.J. Hoover FA
ML: Kevin Gausman $1, Brad Miller $1
DL: Jurickson Profar $8, Matt Moore $11

#15 9703

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:13 AM

Why are his strikeouts so high?

Also, this thread is kinda funny. Not often you see much complaining about a guy hitting .333/.409/.485. Great hitter.

#16 dangerous

dangerous

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

Wish he had some homers but my justification is that I can kind of sort of play Adam Dunn cause of him...

#17 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:08 AM

His strikeout rate is alarmingly high for him but then meanwhile everything he puts in play is a hit so nobody has noticed or cared.  He seriously could have like 30 RBI right now if not for that lineup. I don't fault the Twins for hitting him second but it has hurt his RBI's when they have Aaron Hicks hitting leadoff for 3 weeks going literally about 3/50 and now Dozier with some other scrubs hitting 8/9. Look at how many doubles he has hit the last few days. Nothing worse then Dozier grounds out, Mauer laces a double to the wall, Willingham K's and Morneu pops up. Story of his season.

#18 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostWombat, on 12 May 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

His strikeout rate is alarmingly high for him but then meanwhile everything he puts in play is a hit so nobody has noticed or cared.  He seriously could have like 30 RBI right now if not for that lineup. I don't fault the Twins for hitting him second but it has hurt his RBI's when they have Aaron Hicks hitting leadoff for 3 weeks going literally about 3/50 and now Dozier with some other scrubs hitting 8/9. Look at how many doubles he has hit the last few days. Nothing worse then Dozier grounds out, Mauer laces a double to the wall, Willingham K's and Morneu pops up. Story of his season.

The strikeouts are odd, but I think we all know by now what to expect from Mauer if you draft him:

~10 HR, +.300 AVG, 75-90 RBI, 80-90 R

Too bad we can't have 2009 Mauer every year.

#19 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

Just struck out for the 3rd time on the day to add to his career high 21% K rate. He is having a bizarre season. Hitting .350 and goes weeks at a time with like a .900 BABIP then also has like doubled his k rate from previous years.  No idea what to make of that, but at this point in the year usually k rate has started to stabilize so it makes me kind of nervous.

#20 juice219

juice219

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

2 HR, 13 RBI, 0 Sb.

The twins paid him something like $180 million.  Makes the Pujols signing seem practical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users