Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Vernon Wells 2013 Outlookyanks make the move?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,354 posts
  • Interests:Stocks, fantasy sports and Real Estate investment....

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Are the yanks this desperate? Me o my....

http://sports.yahoo....-195210251.html
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#2 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Apparently they are. I don't get it.....

I'm not one to usually get mad at trades that my team makes, but this move makes no sense and reeks of desperation to stay relevant.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#3 ssmarsh

ssmarsh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

This is the dumbest move Cashman has made to date.  Totally irrelevant player with no position to play.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.
10 team, AL only, auction, keeper. Weekly roster moves, monthly access to FA's. We count holds as save/2. Players who qualify at DH can play OF.

C - C.Ianetta ($8), C.Stewart ($1)
1B - N.Swisher ($16); 3B - K.Youkilis ($11); CO - P.Konerko ($27)
2B - D.Pedroia ($24) ; SS - Y.Escobar ($11); MI - K.Johnson ($12)
OF - N.Cruz ($21), M.Morse ($21), T.Hunter ($11), M.Joyce ($8), J.Maxwell ($3)
DH - L.Cain ($11)
SP - J.Verlander ($32), J.Peavy ($7), E.Santana ($6), P.Hughes ($6), M.Buehrle ($4), J.Masterson ($1)
RP - J.Johnson ($12), S.Delabar ($4), D.O'Day ($0)
Bench - M.DeRosa ($0), H.Conger ($0), J.Iglesias ($0), L.Overbay ($0), P.Humber ($0), D.Smyly ($1), S.Kazmir ($0)

#4 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Angels fans everywhere: THANK YOU YANKEES

#5 cowbell204

cowbell204

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

It doesn't make sense. They spend no money all offseason, but take on 6.5 mil of vernon wells for two years?

#6 cardinalsfan85

cardinalsfan85

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

It looks like Lyle Overbay is next on the shopping list.  Wow.  :rolleyes:

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 23,752 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Yankee fans have to be irate......Could this be the fall of the empire?  Plunging into decades of mismanagement and obscurity?  Like the Knicks?
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#8 cardinalsfan85

cardinalsfan85

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 24 March 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Yankee fans have to be irate......Could this be the fall of the empire?  Plunging into decades of mismanagement and obscurity?  Like the Knicks?

I've never seen anything like it.  The desperation leaves me speechless.  They're trying to sign players with "name recognition", but they're all washed up.  It seems like this would only happen in a movie.  I'm no longer going to think twice about starting my pitchers against them.

I wonder how many Vernon Wells jerseys they are going to sell?  :lol:

Edited by cardinalsfan85, 24 March 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#9 kslackey

kslackey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Holy hell.

It's been awhile since I've seen a move as bad this. What little is left of his fantasy value is going to go up with some inflated HR numbers.

#10 Bud C. Lick Lite

Bud C. Lick Lite

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

View Postssmarsh, on 24 March 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

This is the dumbest move Cashman has made to date.  Totally irrelevant player with no position to play.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This may be the worst trade the Yanks have made since Ken Phelps for Jay Buhner, considering the free agents they won't be able to sign or keep this offseason (at the very least Hughes and maybe Cano).  I don't understand why they couldn't have waited until the 2nd week of the season to see how Boesch/Francisco/Mustelier would have done first, it's not like the Angels had other suitors and even if by some chance they did there's always A. Soriano.

If it turns out Cashman wasn't ordered to do this by Hal and Wells turns out to be as bad as we all expect, Cashman should lose his job.  I fully expect to see Mustelier or Boesch to be the regular left fielder(s) come the fourth week of the season anyway.  Horrible trade.

#11 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,944 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

Horrible.
www. drafttracker.net

#12 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

View Postkslackey, on 24 March 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Holy hell.

It's been awhile since I've seen a move as bad this. What little is left of his fantasy value is going to go up with some inflated HR numbers.

Last time it happened it involved Vernon Wells!
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 3B)
SS - Jean Segura (MIL - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Matt Kemp (LAD - CF)
RF - Allen Craig (StL - 1B, LF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Matt Carpenter (StL - 1B, 2B, 3B, RF), Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw(DL), Cole Hamels(DL), Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jordan Zimmermann, Corey Kluber, Jered Weaver, Ivan Nova, Hiroki Kuroda, Enny Romero
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Sergio Santos, Carlos Martinez
Farm System: George Springer(HOU - OF), Andrew Heaney(Mia - SP),Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#13 compsella

compsella

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

When Cashman broke his leg skydiving, he must've broken his brain too.  Hell, it probably happened before that.

With Wells and Overbay, the Yanks can now say they are the first to field an all-AARP-card carrying team.

Gelatin and Tapioca pudding in the dugout instead of Gatorade.  Fixodent instead of sunflower seeds.
What is both surprising and delightful is that spectators are allowed, and even expected, to join in the vocal part of the game.... There is no reason why the field should not try to put the batsman off his stroke at the critical moment by neatly timed disparagements of his wife's fidelity and his mother's respectability. ~George Bernard Shaw

#14 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

As a Yankees fan I guess I am just indifferent/numb to the entire situation/season.

Oh word. Vernon Wells 6.5M a season? So we go from an 80 win team this season down to 78 wins while the Angels, Blue Jays, Tigers got stronger? OK see you later.

#15 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

6.5 million a year for Wells is not that bad. The Angles paying him 29 million to not play for them is worse IMO.

#16 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,136 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostDodger Blue 88, on 25 March 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

6.5 million a year for Wells is not that bad. The Angles paying him 29 million to not play for them is worse IMO.

Sure, if the Halos had a choice to not pay him at all.  In this case, however, the 42M is the sunk cost - the Halos found a way to reduce that to 29M.

When you look at Option A - pay him 42M for 2013-2014, and have him take AB's from Trumbo & Bourjos, or Option B - pay 29M, save 13M for 2013-14, and clear full-time AB's for both guys - it's classic addition by subtraction, and by a pretty wide margin.

As for V-dub, he's actually become relevant in deep leagues as a daily streamer (play at home/vs. LHP) - but yeah, for the Yankees, especially as they've committed the 13M for this year (so as to not inflate their 2014 salary, to which they've actually imposed a self-limited cap), it does reek of PR spin to grab a name. Or they are even less optimistic that Pronk can given them 300-400 PA's, which again goes to the points made earlier by others....
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#17 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

What happens when one of Trumbo, Bourjous, Trout, Hamilton get hurt? Id rather have Wells there for the extra 6.5 million since you are still paying the 29 million anyways. I like the move if the Angels stay healthy all year and they all play close to 160 games each.

#18 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

So I'm guessing now that he's on the yanks he's getting 60-25-80-.260?

#19 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 19,997 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostDodger Blue 88, on 25 March 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

What happens when one of Trumbo, Bourjous, Trout, Hamilton get hurt? Id rather have Wells there for the extra 6.5 million since you are still paying the 29 million anyways. I like the move if the Angels stay healthy all year and they all play close to 160 games each.

Im pretty confident theres a cheaper option on the roster that can hit .222 with a sub .275 OBP in the instance that one of those players gets hurt. Sure paying $29 million to play for the Yankees is bad, but paying $42 million for that type of player to sit on your bench and steal at bats from worthy players is even worse. The real issue is the contract he was given, its bad either way you slice it, but if you can get out from under it and realize some savings its worth doing. You've gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em, this was a clear fold.
"Everyone's gotta price.  Everyone's gonna pay!"

#20 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,136 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

View Postdzemens, on 25 March 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

View PostDodger Blue 88, on 25 March 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

Im pretty confident theres a cheaper option on the roster that can hit .222 with a sub .275 OBP in the instance that one of those players gets hurt. Sure paying $29 million to play for the Yankees is bad, but paying $42 million for that type of player to sit on your bench and steal at bats from worthy players is even worse. The real issue is the contract he was given, its bad either way you slice it, but if you can get out from under it and realize some savings its worth doing. You've gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em, this was a clear fold.

To expand on the point of using the $ elsewhere - if the Halos had done this deal in November (obviously not possible as NYY didn't see any need then), they could have used the 6.5M to keep Haren, or upgrade on Blanton.  If Hanson isn't OK - they can afford to take on a more expensive contract in midseason.   Before people argue that the $ doesn't matter - the Halos declined Haren's 2013 option and bought him out - saving about 10M - so clearly they see themselves as close to their max #.  

As dzemens points out, we all recognize that taking on the original contract was the colossal mistake.  Not being married to it (and creating extra payroll flexibility which clearly matters to them) is the proverbial making lemonade out of lemons.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users