Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Jedd Gyorko 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
596 replies to this topic

#1 midlip

midlip

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

No chatter on this guy? Just grabbed him as a backup infielder with loads of upside given that they're likely to start him at second base

Nice pop, nice spring, low adp. What's not to love?

#2 abrunn11

abrunn11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

No chatter on this guy? Just grabbed him as a backup infielder with loads of upside given that they're likely to start him at second base

Nice pop, nice spring, low adp. What's not to love?

1. The park he plays in
2. The line-up he plays with
3. His complete and utter lack of speed at the middle infield position
12-Team Mixed
C: Mike Napoli
1B: Chris Davis
2B: Ben Zobrist
SS: Troy Tulowitzki
3B: Chase Headley
OF: Ryan Braun
OF: Justin Upton
OF: Jason Heyward
UTIL: Ben Revere
UTIL: Ichiro Suzuki
DL: Mark Teixeira
DL: Corey Hart
SP: Gio Gonzalez, RA Dickey, Hisashi Iwakuma, Tim Hudson, Ryan Dempster, Stream
RP: Addison Reed, Rafael Betancourt, Edward Mujica

#3 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I think this guy is pretty interesting in deeper leagues given the DL/injury situation at 3B. He is not eligible at 2B in Yahoo leagues yet. I researched him quite a bit recently after my 3B went down in a couple leagues.

Right now the following third basemen are already hurt and not going to start on opening day: Hanley, Freese, Arod, Headley, Lawrie
There are health questions for these guys: Sandoval, Wright
And then there's the frequently injured crowd: Longoria, Zimmerman, Youkilis

Add it up and 3B is thinner than many people realize -- which leads back to Gyorko.

He's got some power with back to back MILB 30 HR seasons and the price is right. I'm willing to take a chance on him over somebody like Scutaro, Michael Young, Pedro Alvarez or Mark Reynolds.

As for the "lack of speed" comment, the guy did steal 13 bags in 2011 across different levels of MILB. I know he's not going to steal a lot but many 3B don't offer SB's so he's not that much of a detriment at that position.

His value will increase when he gets 2B elig -- assuming he manages to stick in the majors. He was playing high-A ball in 2011 so this is a pretty massive leap in competition in a fairly short time frame. Anyway, if he sucks there's really no risk since he's going undrafted in many leagues. A clear "drop him and move on" kind of guy if he doesn't hit well.

Edited by cymbaline, 26 March 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#4 midlip

midlip

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thank you sir and exactly my point. Grabbed him 19th round and am hoping for 2b/3b eligibility

Late round flyer on a young kid having a nice spring. Yes please

#5 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

he has been quite after his HR binge

#6 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

This sucks. Headley and Forsythe being out will delay Gyorko's 2B/MI eligibility for weeks. I was really depending on him being a MI after the first week.

#7 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

definitely sucks... not really worth holding for eligibility... it could be months... he'll need 10 games in cbs

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#8 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Although the MLB/MiLB thread eligibility standard is crystal-clear (unless the player has played in an MLB game or there is substantial confirmation of his callup, it stays in the MiLB forum), it's pretty obvious that Gyorko has the full-time job locked down due to Headley's injury; thus, this will be his official thread.

Please note that this is an exception to an otherwise stringent rule, so let's keep our enthusiasm for other young talents (Taveras, Puig, etc.) contained to the appropriate medium.

Thanks. :)
Are the Rotoworld forums lagging for you? Please report the issue here: http://www.rotoworld.com/about/help.aspx. It's the best way to force a change!

#9 charliehustler

charliehustler

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

well for espn leagues where he is only 2b eligible this is good news. i'm lightweight pumped.
12 team .5 PPR

QB(1) Romo Dalton
RB(2) Martin Vereen JBell Sproles DBrown
WR/TE(3) Dez Nelson Harvin Cameron Hunter Dobson
K(1)Houshka
D(1)Cardinals Saints

#10 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Yea, I like this guy as a back end play in ESPN leagues. 3b is so thin this year especially with Headley, ARod, and Freese already out for some time (Freese not long). Ideally, he'll provide decent pop as a 2b or MI in deeper leagues but eventually he'll be able to cover you at 2b and 3b. 15+ HRs at 2b with 550 ABs and he has some skills with the bat. Yes, his lineup isn't great and the park, even with the fences coming in, aren't ideal, but you can get him in the 200's as bench strength/utility guy and if he blows up then trade him or trade your starter and slot him in at 2b......Not bad, although I do agree about the 2b eligibility issues in Yahoo....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#11 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Has an official decision been made on where he will play with Headley out? I know he played 3B in the minors, but Bud Black was on record as liking what he'd seen from Gyorko at 2B this spring, and if that's where he's going to play once Headley is back, I figured there was a decent chance they kept him there to get him comfortable, rather than having him have to start all over with the 2B conversion in a month or so. I also read he played 3B in a recent spring game but I didn't take that to be a definitive ruling on where he will play this April.

10 team 2-QB, PPR, IDP, Auction dynasty
QB1 - Peyton Manning, QB2 - Mark Sanchez
WR1 - Julio Jones, WR2 - Mike Evans
RB1 - Matt Forte, RB2 - C.J. Anderson
TE - Travis Kelce
W/R - Jonathan Stewart
W/T - Keenan Allen
Bench - Colin Kaepernick, Boom Herron, Giovani Bernard, Davante Adams, Larry Donnell

IR - C.J. Spiller

DB1 - Harrison Smith, DB2 - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, DB3 - Joe Haden 
DL1 - Cameron Wake, DB2 - Carlos Dunlap, DL3 - Sheldon Richardson
LB1 - Lavonte David, LB2 - Paul Worrilow LB3 - Telvin Smith
D Flex - Nigel Bradham
Bench - Kiko Alonso, T.J. Ward

#12 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I definitely overpaid but I felt I needed this kid in my keeper. I know last year was PCL generated but there are not many 2B who have this type of power with a good plate discipline. Left field wasn't terrible power-wise for righties before the fences moved in so it will only help Jedd. Also swiped 13 bags in 2011. Once 2B eligible, he'll be very valuable.
www. drafttracker.net

#13 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Has an official decision been made on where he will play with Headley out? I know he played 3B in the minors, but Bud Black was on record as liking what he'd seen from Gyorko at 2B this spring, and if that's where he's going to play once Headley is back, I figured there was a decent chance they kept him there to get him comfortable, rather than having him have to start all over with the 2B conversion in a month or so. I also read he played 3B in a recent spring game but I didn't take that to be a definitive ruling on where he will play this April.

They are hoping that Forsythe will start at 3B once the season starts.
www. drafttracker.net

#14 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

They are hoping that Forsythe will start at 3B once the season starts.

Forsythe aggravated his injury and will most likely start the season on the DL....hence, Gyorko is more than likely ticketed for 3b to start at the very least, the first couple of weeks and maybe longer.

#15 capattack

capattack

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

i played with him at WVU. For the people saying not to pay attention because of the park he hits in...

1. They moved the fences in
2. He gets to play away games in AZ and Col
3. He used to use a wood bat in practice and hit 430 foot HR like they were nothing
4. The only player I've played with/against who was a better pure hitter was Justin Upton.
12 team keeper. 10x10 scoring.

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist
BN- Abreu, Profar, Miller, Moose, Eaton, Craword, Revere, Headley, Wieters

Minors- Taveras

SP- King, Scherzer, Hamels, Lynn, Lincecum, Gray, Gallardo, Ventura
RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#16 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,712 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

i played with him at WVU. For the people saying not to pay attention because of the park he hits in...

1. They moved the fences in
2. He gets to play away games in AZ and Col
3. He used to use a wood bat in practice and hit 430 foot HR like they were nothing
4. The only player I've played with/against who was a better pure hitter was Justin Upton.

Great post. Always cool to see insight like this from someone who really knows the player.

"...and woe betide fateful curiosity should it ever succeed in peering through a crack in the chamber of consciousness, out and down into the depths, and thus gain an intimation of the fact that humanity, in the indifference of its ignorance, rests on the pitiless, the greedy, the insatiable, the murderous."

-Nietzsche

#17 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Am I crazy or was there a much longer thread about this guy before?
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#18 ipstaff

ipstaff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

Am I crazy or was there a much longer thread about this guy before?

Ir was his Minor League forum thread. Now that's retired and he gets an all grown up real ballplayer thread.

#19 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

So...when do rosters get finalized? I'm in a stupid league that doesn't have him available in the player pool yet, because I guess he hasn't officially made the 40 man roster.

Tired of staring at an empty hole on my roster!

10 team 2-QB, PPR, IDP, Auction dynasty
QB1 - Peyton Manning, QB2 - Mark Sanchez
WR1 - Julio Jones, WR2 - Mike Evans
RB1 - Matt Forte, RB2 - C.J. Anderson
TE - Travis Kelce
W/R - Jonathan Stewart
W/T - Keenan Allen
Bench - Colin Kaepernick, Boom Herron, Giovani Bernard, Davante Adams, Larry Donnell

IR - C.J. Spiller

DB1 - Harrison Smith, DB2 - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, DB3 - Joe Haden 
DL1 - Cameron Wake, DB2 - Carlos Dunlap, DL3 - Sheldon Richardson
LB1 - Lavonte David, LB2 - Paul Worrilow LB3 - Telvin Smith
D Flex - Nigel Bradham
Bench - Kiko Alonso, T.J. Ward

#20 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 26,592 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

So...when do rosters get finalized? I'm in a stupid league that doesn't have him available in the player pool yet, because I guess he hasn't officially made the 40 man roster.

Tired of staring at an empty hole on my roster!

I think the 31st is the last possible day for rosters to be finalized.....I think.