Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Devin Mesoraco 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 KingBax

KingBax

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

Just picked this guy up in my 20 team dynasty, He hit .361 in the spring and was the #1 catching prospect just a year ago... Thoughts?
20 Team - H2H - 4th Year Dynasty - 9x9 (R-H-HR-RBI-BB-TB-AVG-XBH-SB | W-SV-HLD-H-BB-K-ERA-WHIP-QS)
C Matt Weiters
1B Joey Votto
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Troy Tulowitzki
3B Brett Lawrie
OF Justin Upton | Desmond Jennings | Bryce Harper
DH Jay Bruce
BN Jose Iglesias | Henry Urrutia
SP Justin Verlander | Bartolo Colon | Jordan Zimmerman | Anibal Sanchez | Jarrod Parker
RP Mariano Rivera | Sergio Romo | Joakim Soria | Scott Downs
BN CJ Wilson | Alex Wood
DL Trevor Cahill (SP) | Matt Moore (SP)
NA Danny Espinosa (2B/SS) | Ryan Madson (RP)

Im starting a 20-team Fantasy Hockey auction dynatsy, message me if interested.

#2 Morat

Morat

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Dyansty leagues great but redraft no. I don't think Dusty will play the guy enough for him to be relevant. Even in 2 catcher leagues I'd rather take a chance with other end-game guys who are guaranteed playing time like Castro, Flowers, etc.

Edited by Morat, 27 March 2013 - 09:18 AM.

"Give me a new ball...one you can see." - A.J. Pierzynski to umpire.

#3 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Have to agree. Unless Hanigan gets hurt he probably won't see sufficient playing time. Wasn't in 2 years ago he was the #1 catching prospect?

Also they signed Miguel Olivo too I think.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#4 LaFlama Blanca

LaFlama Blanca

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

I live in the Cinncinati area, and he's been one of the big stories of the spring. He's matured, quality at bats ect.... Ryan Hanigan is one of those underrated guys, who is more valuable in real baseball than fantasy. That being said, getting Mesoraco late could be a real find if he carries over his spring performance. Classic post hype sleeper here that can help win a league. Always go with upside....

#5 KingBax

KingBax

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Last year BA had him ahead of D'Arnaud, at #18 overall (dont quote me on that). Maybe he should have had 2012 in the minors, an extra year to develop?
20 Team - H2H - 4th Year Dynasty - 9x9 (R-H-HR-RBI-BB-TB-AVG-XBH-SB | W-SV-HLD-H-BB-K-ERA-WHIP-QS)
C Matt Weiters
1B Joey Votto
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Troy Tulowitzki
3B Brett Lawrie
OF Justin Upton | Desmond Jennings | Bryce Harper
DH Jay Bruce
BN Jose Iglesias | Henry Urrutia
SP Justin Verlander | Bartolo Colon | Jordan Zimmerman | Anibal Sanchez | Jarrod Parker
RP Mariano Rivera | Sergio Romo | Joakim Soria | Scott Downs
BN CJ Wilson | Alex Wood
DL Trevor Cahill (SP) | Matt Moore (SP)
NA Danny Espinosa (2B/SS) | Ryan Madson (RP)

Im starting a 20-team Fantasy Hockey auction dynatsy, message me if interested.

#6 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'll Be keeping my Eye Mesoraco.

He has his work cut out of him for playing time. Hanigan is one the better defensive catchers in the game. While he has zero power, he can get on base.

Even if he starts actually hitting above his weight. and hitting well...

I find it hard to see he gets consistent playing time this year with Dusty at the helm.

#7 FUM

FUM

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

I think the Reds brass trust Hanigan with how he handles the pitchers more than they do Mesoraco, which hurts his value as well.
Rotoworld Forums' Official Badass with 6 warning points.

Most of what I post is for giggles. Please do not take me seriously when I'm venting about a pitcher that just got bombed or a hitter in a 2 for 20 slump. It's all for effect and trying to make all my fellow rotoheads chuckle, so don't be "that guy", yeah you know what I'm talking about.

#8 Morat

Morat

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

Check this Dusty gem from CBS:

by Michael Hurcomb | Fantasy Writer
(03/27/13) Reds manager Dusty Baker refused to reveal his plans for the team's rotation at catcher this season between Ryan Hanigan and Devin Mesoraco.
"I’ll let you know," Baker said, per the Cincinnati Enquirer. "It will vary. (Ryan) Hanigan caught (Jonny) Cueto seven (innings) last night. It’s Mesoraco’s turn to catch (Wednesday). Day after night. That’s going to happen sometimes. You want to keep them both sharp. You don’t want to pair them up too much. What happens if your guy can’t hit a guy or day after night? It’s a long season. You look at that calendar with that schedule. When they fire that gun to go, there ain’t no stopping for a long time.” :blink:

#9 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Dusty can't sit him now (we hope). Post hype sleeper, maybe can take the job and run with it now that Hanigan is on DL.
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#10 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,020 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Dusty can't sit him now (we hope). Post hype sleeper, maybe can take the job and run with it now that Hanigan is on DL.

Was going to post the same thing. For people looking for a catcher he could be a good get. He is already showing very good signs of being close to a bust out with his elite 6BB to 5K's on the season. Whenever a hitter has more walks than K's that means they are seeing the ball well and good results usually follow. I am sure Dusty is trying ot recruit Carlton Fisk out of retirement though as we speak to split time with Mesoraco.

#11 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

great 2nd catcher but the position is too deep for him to be a must-add in standard 1-catcher leagues. Yet
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#12 Morat

Morat

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hanigan: .185 AVG, .272 SLG., .568 OPS. Yeah he takes a walk. Oh, he's making $2.35 million this year. I'm gonna go look on eBay for some used catcher gear for my kid.

Mesoraco had two nice games and starts in a row. Looking at splits the last 30 days and it appears that Mesoraco and Hani-can't-hit are almost splitting time: since May 12, when Hanigan got off the DL, I believe the GS has been 15/12 in Hani's favor. Still not enough to roster Meso. Maybe by next year?

#13 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

He's heating up
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.