Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Yasiel Puig OF LAD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
515 replies to this topic

#1 jbrekel

jbrekel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

Don't know much about this guy as I'm sure most people are starting to get info on him as well.

6'3, 210lbs. 21 years old.

hit .336 with 17 hrs and 78 rbis in 2010. Been suspended for disciplinary reasons since as he's been trying to defect for awhile now.

Reports that he will have time to sign before the July 2nd deadline.

Get on him ASAP in keeper leagues and see what exactly we have here, I think he's worth that much of a chance.

#2 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Per RW:
Cuban outfielder Yasel Puig has defected from Cuba and is in the process of establishing residency in Mexico.
Puig, 21, made a name for himself on Cuba's Junior National team and is highly regarded in international circles. His value and status is yet to be determined. MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez suggests Puig could receive a contract similar to Jorge Soler's nine-year, $30 million deal with the Cubs. A showcase for major league scouts is scheduled for later this week. Source: MLB.com Jun. 19 - 7:45 am et
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#3 avatoot

avatoot

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

He just signed with the Dodgers. He is a raw talent with some power and speed. $40 million deal!
12 Team H2H Cats 8X8 $League
Hitting Categories: R. HR. RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OBP, SLG

Pitching Categories: W, SV, K, TB, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS
C -   C. Santana

1B - V. Martinez
2B - Kinsler
3B - Sandoval
SS - Holt

OF - Blackmon
OF - Pence

OF - Yelich
Util - K. Vargas
Util - J. Harrison
BN - McCann, Granderson, Trumbo
SP - Greinke, Kershaw, Cueto, Hudson, Kuroda, Eovaldi, Holland, K. Hendricks
RP - K. Jansen, Rosenthal, C. Janssen, Petricka
NA - Heaney
NA - Pomeranz
DL - Darvish

#4 MJG44

MJG44

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

danngg was hoping the cubs would snag him too

Edited by MJG44, 28 June 2012 - 10:04 AM.

First year 10 Team Keeper League (Keep 8)
C-Devin Mesoraco
C-Jason Castro
1B-Adam Laroche
1b-Anthony Rizzo
2B-Anthony Rendon
2B-Kolten Wong
SS-Javier Baez
SS-Jean Segura
3B-Pablo Sandobal
3B-Juan Uribe
OF-Mike Trout,Matt Kemp,Yasiel Puig
Util-George Springer
Bench-Billy Hamilton,Jorge Soler,Christian Yelich,Charlie Blackmon

SP-Jose Fernandez,Chris Sale,Yordano Ventura,Jeff Samardzija,Zach Wheeler,Shelby Miller,Taijuan Walker,Derek Holland,Jake Peavy
RP-Kenley Jansen,Netfali Feliz,Francisco Rodriguez

#5 luoldeng

luoldeng

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

ETA?

#6 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Wow, why do Cubans get all the dough, I really don't get it. I'd much rather sign a whole handful of Dominicans and Venezuelans.

#7 jbrekel

jbrekel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

zumayaaa,

They are under a different bidding process but I understand what you are saying.
Also the fact he is 21, so its almost impossible to find a decent dominican that age this close to major league ready.

luol,
I think its pretty hard to say at this point b/c I really don't know how much he's been playing lately and how exactly his skills will translate over here. If all things work out though (huge if), I don't see a reason why he can't be ready to contribute by late next year.

#8 ryanmemperor

ryanmemperor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

when would he be available in ESPN leagues
?

Yahoo! 12 team - 1 PPR - 6pts/TD - redraft - money league

QB- M.Ryan

RB1-Mason

RB2-McKinnon

WR1-D.Thomas

WR2-J.Jones

TE-Kelce

Flex- Benjamin

K-Stream

DEF-Stream

Bench:

WR: Harvin, Gordon, TSmith

RB:  Hill, Thomas, 

TE:  Reed

QB: 

IR:  Eifert

#9 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

As a Dodgers fan, it's good to see management spend some money on a prospect....but damn...42 million?!!? That seems excessive IMO.
With that type of dough, i want to see the kid up asap!
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, Kendrys Morales
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, Alex Guerrero
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - George Springer

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Mike Fiers
Bench - Alex Wood, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson, Kyle Hendricks, Carlos Carrasco

#10 bigbossman

bigbossman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

As a Dodgers fan, it's good to see management spend some money on a prospect....but damn...42 million?!!? That seems excessive IMO.
With that type of dough, i want to see the kid up asap!

I read that he could be up by September and then on the other hand I read that Keith Law doesn't understand why he landed so much coin and Law sounded a bit down on his prospect as a MLB player.
so many leagues, so little time.

#11 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

Anybody else think that maybe the Dodgers wanted to get some more ammo for trades? Sign the big free agent who isn't quite ready and then include him in a deal for a Major League piece...just a thought.

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#12 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Where would he rank on a list of top prospects? Would he be in the top 10 or 20? And how does he rank compared to Cespedes

#13 Tryptamine

Tryptamine

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Where would he rank on a list of top prospects? Would he be in the top 10 or 20? And how does he rank compared to Cespedes

This guy doesn't even sniff the top 100 prospects. There have been various writers who say he's not even a guaranteed top 10 player in an average system. I'm completely baffled by the Dodgers throwing this money away.
10 Team H2H Redraft 5th pick (QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,TE,Flex,D/ST,K)
(2-1)
QB:Matt Ryan
RB:DeMarco Murray
RB:Zac Stacy
WR:Calvin Johnson
WR:Victor Cruz
TE:Rob Gronkowski
FLEX:Reggie Wayne
D/ST: Cincinnati
K: Blair Walsh
Bench:Romo,FJax,Mathews,Asiata,Desean,Welker,Watkins

#14 battle2heaven

battle2heaven

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

This guy doesn't even sniff the top 100 prospects. There have been various writers who say he's not even a guaranteed top 10 player in an average system. I'm completely baffled by the Dodgers throwing this money away.

And yet there are other reports that say he is a legit 5 tool player.

12 Team .5 PPR

QB Andrew Luck
WR AJ Green
WR Brandon Marshall
WR Julio Jones
RB Rashad Jennings
RB Ahmad Bradshaw
TE Travis Kelce
FLX Kelvin Benjamin

Bench
Justin Hunter/Allen Robinson
Bernard Pierce/Branden Bolden/Roy Helu/Benny Cunningham
Tim Wright

#15 footballpimp

footballpimp

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

J.J Cooper of Baseball America on Puig

Puig would not come close to the Top 100. I don't think he'd make numerous team's Top 10 lists. Yes he got an insane amount of money (largest first contract signed by a Cuban player), but our Ben Badler couldn't find a scout for another team who would go anywhere close to that kind of coin for Puig. And beyond everything else, it's almost impossible to get a decent read on Puig. He hasn't played in an actual game in a long, long time (over a year), and he didn't run a 60 or face live pitching at his recent workout. So that's a whole lot of money on a big gamble and one that has scouts almost everywhere else completely baffled.
12 Team Keeper(4*)
QB-Jake Locker
WR-Demaryius Thomas*
WR-Cordarrelle Patterson
RB-Jamaal Charles*
RB-Doug Martin*
TE-Dennis Pitta
Flex-Jeremy Maclin
BN-K.Benjamin
BN-C.Hyde
BN-M.Evans
BN-B.Cunningham
BN-J.Dwyer
BN-J.Gordon*

#16 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

So... basically he could turn out to be the Kei Igawa of position players.

I don't really get all the hype with these international signings. They rarely work out. And teams pay sooooo much more than they do for players that they draft.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 30 June 2012 - 06:18 PM.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#17 treyjuice

treyjuice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Interesting "slide show" here. Although the predictions are "bold", I find his path to the major clear and it looks like he may be up sooner than a lot of people think.

http://bleacherrepor...-dodgers-career

#18 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

Interesting "slide show" here. Although the predictions are "bold", I find his path to the major clear and it looks like he may be up sooner than a lot of people think.

http://bleacherrepor...-dodgers-career

The predictions in that slideshow aren't just bold, they are ridiculous for a player that no one has ever seen. If the kid had been stateside and scouted like Harper and then those predictions were made that'd be one thing. But I doubt the writer has seen Puig play a bit.

Anyone have any video?

#19 treyjuice

treyjuice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

#20 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpT5672AOa8

That bomb to center at :50 looked pretty impressive off the bat. Not sure how far it went, but it looked good.