Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Scott Baker 2013 OutlookWhy does he have hype?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David Light

David Light

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

He is seen as a value pick by many this year, and has ended up on a lot of sleeper lists, and I am just wondering, why?  I personally think he is not very valuable.  He is on a crappy team;  He is coming off Tommy John surgery, and from what I remember he only had one good year with the Twins.
What do you guys think?  Is his undervalued hype real?

#2 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

I guess they figure someone in the Twins rotation is bound to not suck this year and Target Field is still looked at as a pitchers park.  If I had to choose one of the Twins' mediocre starters I guess it'd be pretty close between him and the rest but I'd probably take Worley myself.

#3 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

View PostSurlyRobot, on 28 March 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

I guess they figure someone in the Twins rotation is bound to not suck this year and Target Field is still looked at as a pitchers park.  If I had to choose one of the Twins' mediocre starters I guess it'd be pretty close between him and the rest but I'd probably take Worley myself.

He's on the Cubs now.
You're television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You're madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you. But not me. Not as long as I can feel pleasure, and pain... and love.

#4 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

He re-injured his elbow this week - I'm guessing the hype was on him going to the NL, and being very cheap & off-the-radar.   All of that value rested on the assumption he'd be pitching very soon and be healthy.   In other words, the thought of any value is likely a total mirage after this week's news.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#5 Ned Ryerson

Ned Ryerson

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

steer clear

#6 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostPosting In The Clutch, on 28 March 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

View PostSurlyRobot, on 28 March 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

He's on the Cubs now.
I was just thinking about that this morning, I couldn't remember hearing that he'd started any of the Twins' ST games and I was like "hmm, is he even on the Twins any more?" :D   All the barely above average pitchers the Twins have been trotting out there lately just kinda run together after a while.

#7 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,049 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Dude always knew how to pitch.  Just didn't know how to stay healthy.  I wish him the best but I won't be drafting him.  If he shows some good starts strung together I would totally stream him late April.  Going to the NL and a healthy arm could be huge for him.  But with already having elbow issues he's not off to a good start.

#8 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Was a very solid pitcher when healthy, but was almost never healthy. I get why people pegged him as a sleeper this year, but with the latest set back it's time to move on.

#9 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,049 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostBrewcrewfan, on 28 March 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Was a very solid pitcher when healthy, but was almost never healthy. I get why people pegged him as a sleeper this year, but with the latest set back it's time to move on.

Yeah wait until he shows you real results.  Then stream him if you need him.  Otherwise I wouldn't touch him in a draft unless it's 375+ players deep and even then I'd rather gamble on some young up and coming arm.

Edited by FouLLine, 28 March 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#10 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 28 March 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

View PostBrewcrewfan, on 28 March 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Yeah wait until he shows you real results.  Then stream him if you need him.  Otherwise I wouldn't touch him in a draft unless it's 375+ players deep and even then I'd rather gamble on some young up and coming arm.

Like Kazmir?

#11 midlip

midlip

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

would i be stupid to start this guy today?

#12 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I wouldn't be able to trust him but he's been great since coming off the DL, the Braves are hit-or-miss and strike out a ton and I've always liked the underrated Baker from his time in Minnesota. His velocity has been 89-91 on his FB since he came back which is encouraging since I heard it hadn't returned to that level in the minor leagues. He's playing for a new contract so he has motivation. If you need a spot-starter in a deep league then I'd give him a shot.

Again.. I wouldn't be able to trust him but there is a good chance he pitches well. I'd definitely rather have HIM than his opponent Maholm who is awful on the road

#13 midlip

midlip

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

well that failed miserably

#14 merlin401

merlin401

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

View Postmidlip, on 20 September 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

well that failed miserably

FYI, always look at the Vegas over/under line before you play someone at Wrigley.  When the over/under is 9+ (as it was today), you cut your losses and bench.
16 H2H $ 7x7 (OPS, K's // CG's, K:BB)

C - C. Santana
1B - Ortiz
2B - Kendrick
SS - Segura
3B - Prado
OF - Werth, Brantley, Bonifacio (2B/3B/OF)
UTIL - LaRoche
BN - Eric Young Jr.

SP - Wainwright, Bumgarner, Wacha, Shelby Miller, Ervin Santana, Haren, Kluber, Erlin
RP - Uehara
DL - Harvey, Profar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users