Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Scott Baker 2013 OutlookWhy does he have hype?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

He is seen as a value pick by many this year, and has ended up on a lot of sleeper lists, and I am just wondering, why?  I personally think he is not very valuable.  He is on a crappy team;  He is coming off Tommy John surgery, and from what I remember he only had one good year with the Twins.
What do you guys think?  Is his undervalued hype real?

#2 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

I guess they figure someone in the Twins rotation is bound to not suck this year and Target Field is still looked at as a pitchers park.  If I had to choose one of the Twins' mediocre starters I guess it'd be pretty close between him and the rest but I'd probably take Worley myself.

#3 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,203 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

View PostSurlyRobot, on 28 March 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

I guess they figure someone in the Twins rotation is bound to not suck this year and Target Field is still looked at as a pitchers park.  If I had to choose one of the Twins' mediocre starters I guess it'd be pretty close between him and the rest but I'd probably take Worley myself.

He's on the Cubs now.
I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#4 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,462 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

He re-injured his elbow this week - I'm guessing the hype was on him going to the NL, and being very cheap & off-the-radar.   All of that value rested on the assumption he'd be pitching very soon and be healthy.   In other words, the thought of any value is likely a total mirage after this week's news.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#5 Ned Ryerson

Ned Ryerson

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

steer clear

#6 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostPosting In The Clutch, on 28 March 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

View PostSurlyRobot, on 28 March 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

He's on the Cubs now.
I was just thinking about that this morning, I couldn't remember hearing that he'd started any of the Twins' ST games and I was like "hmm, is he even on the Twins any more?" :D   All the barely above average pitchers the Twins have been trotting out there lately just kinda run together after a while.

#7 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Dude always knew how to pitch.  Just didn't know how to stay healthy.  I wish him the best but I won't be drafting him.  If he shows some good starts strung together I would totally stream him late April.  Going to the NL and a healthy arm could be huge for him.  But with already having elbow issues he's not off to a good start.

#8 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Was a very solid pitcher when healthy, but was almost never healthy. I get why people pegged him as a sleeper this year, but with the latest set back it's time to move on.

#9 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostBrewcrewfan, on 28 March 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Was a very solid pitcher when healthy, but was almost never healthy. I get why people pegged him as a sleeper this year, but with the latest set back it's time to move on.

Yeah wait until he shows you real results.  Then stream him if you need him.  Otherwise I wouldn't touch him in a draft unless it's 375+ players deep and even then I'd rather gamble on some young up and coming arm.

Edited by FouLLine, 28 March 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#10 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 28 March 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

View PostBrewcrewfan, on 28 March 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Yeah wait until he shows you real results.  Then stream him if you need him.  Otherwise I wouldn't touch him in a draft unless it's 375+ players deep and even then I'd rather gamble on some young up and coming arm.

Like Kazmir?

#11 midlip

midlip

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

would i be stupid to start this guy today?

#12 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I wouldn't be able to trust him but he's been great since coming off the DL, the Braves are hit-or-miss and strike out a ton and I've always liked the underrated Baker from his time in Minnesota. His velocity has been 89-91 on his FB since he came back which is encouraging since I heard it hadn't returned to that level in the minor leagues. He's playing for a new contract so he has motivation. If you need a spot-starter in a deep league then I'd give him a shot.

Again.. I wouldn't be able to trust him but there is a good chance he pitches well. I'd definitely rather have HIM than his opponent Maholm who is awful on the road
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#13 midlip

midlip

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

well that failed miserably

#14 merlin401

merlin401

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

View Postmidlip, on 20 September 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

well that failed miserably

FYI, always look at the Vegas over/under line before you play someone at Wrigley.  When the over/under is 9+ (as it was today), you cut your losses and bench.
16 H2H $ 7x7 (OPS, K's // CG's, K:BB)

C - Carlos Santana
1B - Ortiz
2B - Dozier
SS - Zobrist
3B - Longoria
OF - Werth, Brantley, Dickerson
UTIL - Morneau
BN- Segura, Montero

SP - Wainwright, Bumgarner, Kluber, Ervin Santana, Hahn, Odorizzi
RP - Uehara, Britton, C. Allen

DL - Harvey, Wacha
Minors - Bogaerts, Bryant, Buxton, Betts (the killer B's!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users