Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

What Hosting Platform do you use?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you play in an ESPN or Yahoo league (or another website)? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you play in an ESPN or Yahoo! league...or a league hosted by another website?

1. ESPN (23 votes [32.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.86%

2. Yahoo! (45 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

3. Another website that isn't ESPN or Yahoo (please comment with what website it is if you would be so kind) (2 votes [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Just intrigued about a consensus in what the fantasy basketballers prefer around these parts. Personally, I play in a Yahoo! league. I prefer it mainly because it has an outstanding Android app. I love ESPN's layout, but I'm amazed that they don't have a fantasy basketball Android app (at least the last time I looked), especially since their fantasy football Android app is fantastic. To me, that is a deal breaker. I did use ESPN for my league last season and it went well enough.

I used to use a website called sports.ws and it was a really intriguing setup, but for my specific league, it wasn't the greatest fit. I was also curious if anyone else used any other websites besides ESPN or Yahoo.

By the way, if this is too off topic, please feel free to move or simply delete this, Moderators. Apologies in advance if it is off topic. I thought that it had bearing on fantasy basketball and even on strategy regarding the fact that I can check up on my team/league with the Yahoo app anytime whereas I couldn't with ESPN.
High Above Courtside fantasy basketball league
  • 12 franchises, starting its 4th season in 2013-14
  • points based, daily lineup, head to head
  • keeper league

#2 kobe24

kobe24

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

i started out playing in yahoo then moved to espn like 2 years ago. there really is no comparison imo. after using espn i cant stand playing in yahoo. i havent used any other sites tho

#3 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

I couldn't agree less after using ESPN last year. To me, they are completely equal - there are good parts to both sites and big limitations to both sites. In addition, I can't see anything wrong with Yahoo and certainly disagree ESPN is any semblance of a significant upgrade and certainly disagree with any kind of a blanket statement that one is far and away better...because it is untrue I feel even more strongly when nothing specific is brought up as to *why* one site is better in someone's opinion. There is a reason why both sites are the biggest ones on the intarwebz (CBS Sportsline is still big, but not as big as Yahoo or ESPN).
  • keeper league

#4 Trifecta

Trifecta

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

ESPN FTW

#5 Cool Guy

Cool Guy

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

I couldn't agree less after using ESPN last year. To me, they are completely equal - there are good parts to both sites and big limitations to both sites. In addition, I can't see anything wrong with Yahoo and certainly disagree ESPN is any semblance of a significant upgrade and certainly disagree with any kind of a blanket statement that one is far and away better...because it is untrue I feel even more strongly when nothing specific is brought up as to *why* one site is better in someone's opinion. There is a reason why both sites are the biggest ones on the intarwebz (CBS Sportsline is still big, but not as big as Yahoo or ESPN).

Yeah, they both have their ups and downs. Yahoo has the (off the top of my head) superior stat tracker, line-up setting, teams stats/record books/etc (basically a better toolbar).

For some reason, Yahoo has this issue with lag when browsing though the pages. ESPN is nice and fast.

On the ESPN side, the auto-updating box score "stat tracker" is pretty nice. I actually like it. The FantasyCast I never touch. Being able to view transaction history of each player is really nice. Doesnt have a one click set line-up, but it's still quick and easy manually.

ESPN has the superior player stats/player card. Being able to view recent games or track averages of a player's certain month is handy.

Combine features from both platforms and you'd have a flawless fantasy time.

Personally, I use both.

really? I find him crap in real life, but decent for fantasy if you're punting TO's and FG%

I'll admit I've only watched about a few games worth of him though

#6 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yeah, they both have their ups and downs. Yahoo has the (off the top of my head) superior stat tracker, line-up setting, teams stats/record books/etc (basically a better toolbar).

For some reason, Yahoo has this issue with lag when browsing though the pages. ESPN is nice and fast.

On the ESPN side, the auto-updating box score "stat tracker" is pretty nice. I actually like it. The FantasyCast I never touch. Being able to view transaction history of each player is really nice. Doesnt have a one click set line-up, but it's still quick and easy manually.

ESPN has the superior player stats/player card. Being able to view recent games or track averages of a player's certain month is handy.

Interesting, I've never noticed a lag with Yahoo. I do like ESPN's player stats/player card. Not only that, on the ESPN player card, you can tell what teams a player has been on,when he was dropped/traded which I really liked with fantasy football.

I should use Yahoo's Stat Tracker more as I rarely use it since Yahoo updates the scores in real time anyway. But I agree - Yahoo's tool bar is excellent.

However, regarding record books/league history, that is a big thing for my league, and I've been impressed with ESPN's for fantasy football. I don't know how it is for fantasy basketball, but I'm intrigued with Yahoo's going forward to see how it compares/contrasts.
  • keeper league

#7 stockton2malone

stockton2malone

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

http://hoops.sports.ws/

Best fantasy game by far

Yahoo iand ESPN are both terrible, they dont reward per minute production and its just all about who plays the most minutes, Boring as hell.

ANd I dont understand how people can play weekly games, that is boring as hell.

On Sports.ws you follow the real NBA schedule with a real b\oxcscore, so you play 3-5 games per week. And you can have guys that playy only 15 minutes a game who are a valuable part of your team, if they have good per minute numbers.

Whereas guys who play big minutes but arent very productive dont have a lot of value , unlike in Yahoo and ESPN where they are worshiped cos they might get 14 points, 6 rebs, 3 steals and 2 blocks but need 43 minutes to get it.

Edited by stockton2malone, 28 March 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#8 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Having used both, ESPN absolutely blows Yahoo! out of the water. And fortunately for me, ESPN has an iOS fantasy app!

#9 pfresh

pfresh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I play in both Yahoo and Espn.

Yahoo: basketball and football

Espn: baseball.

I prefer yahoo over espn.

NFL 2014   12-Team League    9th pick Overall Redraft     Record: 5-2        Going for the 3-Peat.. Going to be hard
QB: Aaron Rodgers
WR1: Vincent Jackson         WR2: Julian Edelman            WR3: Kelvin Benjamin
RB1: Demarco Murray          RB2: Zac Stacy
TE: Vernon Davis                      Defense: San Francisco, KC         Kicker: Parkey
Bench: Anquan Boldin, Mark Ingram, Owen Daniels, Branden Oliver, Tre Mason, Ryan Tannehill, Jermaine Gresham
NFL 2014    10-Team League    3rd pick Overall Redraft      Record: 4-3       Going for the Repeat
QB: Matt Ryan
WR1: Keenan Allen                  WR2: Victor Cruz  Emmanuel Sanders     WR3: Wes Welker   OBJ

RB1: Jamaal Charles              RB2: Montee Ball
TE: Greg Olsen                         Defense: Philadelphia                Kicker: Matt Prater
Bench: Ray Rice, Josh Gordon, Knowshon Moreno, Ronnie Hillman, Branden Oliver, Torrey Smith, Ryan Tannehill

NBA 2014    14-Team League    12th pick Overall Redraft 

PG/SG: Kyrie Irving, Dwayne Wade, Darren Collison, Jarrett Jack
SG/SF: Trevor Ariza, Lance Stephenson

SF/PF: Mirza Teletovic

PF/C: Serge Ibaka, Derrick Favors, Roy Hibbert, Kelly Olynyk

#10 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

http://hoops.sports.ws/

Best fantasy game by far

Yahoo iand ESPN are both terrible, they dont reward per minute production and its just all about who plays the most minutes, Boring as hell.

ANd I dont understand how people can play weekly games, that is boring as hell.

On Sports.ws you follow the real NBA schedule with a real b\oxcscore, so you play 3-5 games per week.

Well, obviously this isn't true, that Yahoo and ESPN are terrible. That kind of destroys any veracity that the rest of your post has actually, so I won't bother with the rest even though I've previously used sports.ws. Unfortunately, while sports.ws does a few things well, and it is a very creative and entertaining idea, it isn't nearly the end-all, be-all as you're making it out to be.

Having used both, ESPN absolutely blows Yahoo! out of the water. And fortunately for me, ESPN has an iOS fantasy app!

Also, another post that makes no sense since no reasons are given regarding ESPN being better (which it isn't, and vice-versa).

I'm intrigued that most can't quite understand that it all comes down to preference and that neither Yahoo or ESPN is better than the other. In addition, that so far anyway, there is a startling lack of objectivity. This thread is very revealing for me. There is a reason why a balanced amount of people in the poll (at least as of right now) play in both leagues.
  • keeper league

#11 Cool Guy

Cool Guy

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Interesting, I've never noticed a lag with Yahoo. I do like ESPN's player stats/player card. Not only that, on the ESPN player card, you can tell what teams a player has been on,when he was dropped/traded which I really liked with fantasy football.

I should use Yahoo's Stat Tracker more as I rarely use it since Yahoo updates the scores in real time anyway. But I agree - Yahoo's tool bar is excellent.

However, regarding record books/league history, that is a big thing for my league, and I've been impressed with ESPN's for fantasy football. I don't know how it is for fantasy basketball, but I'm intrigued with Yahoo's going forward to see how it compares/contrasts.

I dont recall having this lag problem with Yahoo before. It seemed to pop up this season - for me at least. On Chrome, it was bad. On Firefox which I'm mainly using now, it's bearable. Clicking on a page has a noticeable pause. If I were to manually set my line-up by dragging the blue box, the movement is slow and clunky.

Now that I think about it, I almost always prefer to do my player research on ESPN when ever I'm dealing with my Yahoo fantasy leagues.

From what I see, ESPN has the "Season Stats" page that shows the team totals for each category, but it's missing the "fun" stats like most points in a week or best FG% in a week that Yahoo offers.

Edited by Cool Guy, 28 March 2013 - 05:08 PM.

really? I find him crap in real life, but decent for fantasy if you're punting TO's and FG%

I'll admit I've only watched about a few games worth of him though

#12 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Also, another post that makes no sense since no reasons are given regarding ESPN being better (which it isn't, and vice-versa).

I'm intrigued that most can't quite understand that it all comes down to preference and that neither Yahoo or ESPN is better than the other. In addition, that so far anyway, there is a startling lack of objectivity. This thread is very revealing for me. There is a reason why a balanced amount of people in the poll (at least as of right now) play in both leagues.

You made a poll and I voted and posted which one I chose for. No reason to attack it as something that "makes no sense" when you're the one asking for everyone's opinion...Unless the point of this thread is for you to just mock everyone's opinion?

#13 markdash

markdash

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I use Yahoo! because it is the official fantasy provider of Rotoworld.
"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
-G.K. Chesterton

"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its students."

#14 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

You made a poll and I voted and posted which one I chose for. No reason to attack it as something that "makes no sense" when you're the one asking for everyone's opinion...Unless the point of this thread is for you to just mock everyone's opinion?

Thankfully, no attacking was done. It was a reaction to an opinion with no backing to it whatsoever...which strips the validity of the opinion. Sorry you took that personally. And while I wouldn't mock anyone for having an opinion, I'll gladly criticize anyone who can't give one solitary reasonable example of why their opinion has merit, especially when the opinion seems pretty inaccurate. Criticizing is worlds different than attacking. In this case, in my opinion, which I explained, it was deserved.

I use Yahoo! because it is the official fantasy provider of Rotoworld.

It is? I never knew that! I wonder...is there any benefit to that?

Edited by johnd2442, 28 March 2013 - 06:15 PM.

• keeper league

#15 binhdvu83

binhdvu83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

I cant stand playing on Yahoo's dated format for any of the fantasy sports. ESPN's layout is much cleaner, there's no comparison. I'm really surprise a lot of people still play on yahoo.
30 team (9-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league 1st year
G: CP3, J. Butler, J. Jack, S. Livingston, P. Prigioni
F: T. Harris, C. Frye, B. Diaw, M. Miller
C: M. Gasol, B. Wright

30 team (8-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league 6th year
PG: M. Chalmers, G. Vasquez, P. Prigioni
SG: A. Bradley, D. Harris
SF: N. Batum, J. Johnson, Q. Pondexter
PF: D. Nowitzki, T. Gibson
C: Anthony Davis, C. Bosh

#16 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Well for specific details, there's been numerous threads that have already been established with a whole range of beliefs. This thread is the most recent:

http://forums.rotowo...=299905&hl=espn

#17 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

I cant stand playing on Yahoo's dated format for any of the fantasy sports. ESPN's layout is much cleaner, there's no comparison. I'm really surprise a lot of people still play on yahoo.

At least this is an opinion with some basis behind it. I couldn't ever get behind an opinion based only on how a website looks, and not the most important part - how it actually works - but at least there is reasoning behind the opinion. I can't think of one example of how Yahoo's "format" is dated though.

There is definitely a comparison, thankfully, between ESPN and Yahoo...because both websites work fantastic. That is why tons of people use Yahoo, as well as ESPN. Actually, I quite like Yahoo's clean look and don't quite understand the "dated" comment, but I guess the look of a website is mostly subjective. I have nothing against the look of ESPN's site, but I couldn't care less about how they look, just as long as they work really well and are easy to use too. While I'll grant the look of a website might be important, though very far down for me on my list of needs, wouldn't how a site works be the most important detail for anyone's league? I don't know...it would be the only vital detail for me.
  • keeper league

#18 morphiend

morphiend

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

"dated" is the perfect way to describe yahoo's layout. i like the snazzy blue for espn baseball and orange for espn basketball.
can you imbed pictures/animated gifs onto yahoo's front page yet? last year it wouldn't even let me post LINKS!

from all of the posts of the op it sounds like you're desperately trying to convince us that yahoo is better for some unknown reason. why it matters to you, i don't know..

#19 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well for specific details, there's been numerous threads that have already been established with a whole range of beliefs. This thread is the most recent:

http://forums.rotowo...=299905&hl=espn

Thanks for that. Some interesting reading on first glance. A few well thought out opinions in that thread, mainly from the original poster's thoughts which is thought provoking. I was more interested in who used what site which prompted me to make the poll, but I also thought people would bring more to the table than how a site looks too.
  • keeper league

#20 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

"dated" is the perfect way to describe yahoo's layout. i like the snazzy blue for espn baseball and orange for espn basketball.
can you imbed pictures/animated gifs onto yahoo's front page yet? last year it wouldn't even let me post LINKS!

from all of the posts of the op it sounds like you're desperately trying to convince us that yahoo is better for some unknown reason. why it matters to you, i don't know..

Ah, this is helpful to know. I'm not sure about previous years, but this season, you can certainly post images in Yahoo posts. So, fomr your post I can conclude that outside of Yahoo not having a "snazzy blue" design, it isn't dated.

If you took the time to actually read my posts (which I can see you haven't if you've come to the bizarre conclusion that I'm trying to convince people to use Yahoo), I've made pains to stress that I like ESPN's format and design. I've also stated that I use Yahoo. That could be why you've arrived at your erroneous opinion. Why you're concerned with why I'd convince anyone, either way, that either Yahoo or ESPN is better is beyond me too. That said, it is entertaining to continually poke holes in the "Yahoo is dated" theory which holds no weight from what I've read in this thread thus far. At the same time, if there was any truth to it, I'd be happy to switch my league to ESPN at a moment's notice.
  • keeper league