585 replies to this topic

#1 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Cowboys agreed to terms with QB Tony Romo on a six-year, $108 million extension through 2019, including $55 million guaranteed.
Romo is 33, so the six-year extension locks him in through his age-39 season. Still a top-ten (regular season) quarterback, Romo is coming off career highs in attempts (648) and passing yards (4,903), although he led the NFL in interceptions (19) and absorbed 36 sacks to tie a career high. For Romo's part, he's been a top-nine fantasy quarterback in each of his last five healthy seasons. Romo's record over the past three years is 17-21. Even if "wins" are no way to measure quarterback performance, Romo hasn't taken Dallas to the playoffs since 2009 and has just one career playoff win. We like the extension for the fantasy values of Romo, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and Jason Witten. The price is fine -- $18 million per year -- but it's not necessarily a deal that will pay dividends for the future of Jerry Jones' franchise. The $55 million guaranteed surpasses Joe Flacco's $52 million, but comes up $5 million shy of Drew Brees' league-record $60 million guaranteed.

I'm looking for less picks this year. Yardage will probably drop some but I could see 4500/32/12 which makes him a great value considering where his ADP will be somewhere in the 6-7th.

[...and yes I mainly started this thread to get a dig in on Flacco's contract too.]

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 4-7

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#2 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Cowboys agreed to terms with QB Tony Romo on a six-year, $108 million extension through 2019, including $55 million guaranteed.
Romo is 33, so the six-year extension locks him in through his age-39 season. Still a top-ten (regular season) quarterback, Romo is coming off career highs in attempts (648) and passing yards (4,903), although he led the NFL in interceptions (19) and absorbed 36 sacks to tie a career high. For Romo's part, he's been a top-nine fantasy quarterback in each of his last five healthy seasons. Romo's record over the past three years is 17-21. Even if "wins" are no way to measure quarterback performance, Romo hasn't taken Dallas to the playoffs since 2009 and has just one career playoff win. We like the extension for the fantasy values of Romo, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and Jason Witten. The price is fine -- $18 million per year -- but it's not necessarily a deal that will pay dividends for the future of Jerry Jones' franchise. The $55 million guaranteed surpasses Joe Flacco's $52 million, but comes up $5 million shy of Drew Brees' league-record $60 million guaranteed.

I'm looking for less picks this year. Yardage will probably drop some but I could see 4500/32/12 which makes him a great value considering where his ADP will be somewhere in the 6-7th.

[...and yes I mainly started this thread to get a dig in on Flacco's contract too.]

Wow. This should free up some money for some free agent signings....weell, hopefully it does. Will Jerra actually try and protect his investment and shore up the middle of the o-line? History sez noooooo.

(12:56) T.Richardson up the middle to 50 for -5 yards (W.Mercilus). :)  :)  :) 

#3 Major

Major

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

What a terrible terrible stupid move by Jerry

#4 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Good for Romo.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#5 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I literally Lol'd when i saw the breaking news on SportsCenter. This guy is so overrated. Puts up stats that make him decieving. No clutch gene and just is not a winner. He's better in fantasy than he'll ever be in real life, and being a Giants fan I love seeing the Cowgirls spending this much money on this guy. Leaves less money for other improvments.
  • Winky likes this
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#6 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Better than Flacco? I doubt it.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#7 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I literally Lol'd when i saw the breaking news on SportsCenter. This guy is so overrated. Puts up stats that make him decieving. No clutch gene and just is not a winner. He's better in fantasy than he'll ever be in real life, and being a Giants fan I love seeing the Cowgirls spending this much money on this guy. Leaves less money for other improvments.

There's an unbiased opinion lol. Another giants homer talking smack. What the hell is a "clutch gene"? Of course I have to admit that the Giants have obviously faired better than the Cowboys recently, but everything else being equal, would much rather have Romo than Eli Manning if I was running a franchise and the $$$ don't lie.

#8 fantasymad

fantasymad

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,084 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

In terms of fantasy: Romo will be a great value pick at QB. He is always the guy I target after the big names are gone.

In terms of real life football: I see more 2nd half implosions, heart breaking losses, mediocrity, and plenty of heartburn medication for Cowboy and Romo fans.
  • Proteus likes this

#9 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

There's an unbiased opinion lol. Another giants homer talking smack. What the hell is a "clutch gene"? Of course I have to admit that the Giants have obviously faired better than the Cowboys recently, but everything else being equal, would much rather have Romo than Eli Manning if I was running a franchise and the $$$ don't lie.

Don't worry about him. He's one of those guys that will look at every negative but turn his head when it comes to the terrible o-line play, Patrick Crayton drops, Garrett icing the kicker, among other things.

$50 12 Team PPR, 8-1

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Shane Vereen, Jeremy Hill, Travis Kelce, Martavis Bryant

#10 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

Really? So who would you have them use as their QB? Can't just run down to QBs- R - US and get a better one.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#11 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

I understand the sentiment of "what were the Cowboys suppossed to do?", but not sure I agree with a long term commitment to a guy that has done little to elevate the team into contender status.
It's a tough call to go looking for a new QB when you have championship caliber skill position players on the offense, but his contract is going to limit the team's long term ability to improve in the areas they need to most improve.
This team is already hard-pressed to make the post-season every year, so I am not sure this how move secures anything for Dallas except more middle of the pack results. They are committing to their current team model for the next 4 years (yes, 6 year deal, but we all know what really happens).

Romo lacks a commanding presence:
While I agree Romo is a good athlete and can make some great plays, I do not carry a picture of him as a quality leader...
I do not see him elevating the play of his teammates, giving them any sense of an emotional charge, or fine tuning their focus.
I also do not see his teammates rallying around him... except for his BFF Witten and a blubbering Terrell Owens a couple years back...
He strikes me as more of a "good time" guy that isn't going to get in anyone's grill and isn't going to lift this team to any notable results.

Lack of leadership is why why Dallas chokes every year when they play down the stretch...
No one to drive focus = no post season success.
Dallas committed themselves to a lack of leadership for the next few seasons...
Don't even get me started on Jason Garrett...

Edited by Winky, 30 March 2013 - 07:48 AM.

This post is rated "G".

#12 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Have you even watched a Cowboys game? Romo is guaranteed to blow a lead in the fourth quarter and choke when his team needs him most. He has no clutch gene.
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#13 Major

Major

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Really? So who would you have them use as their QB? Can't just run down to QBs- R - US and get a better one.

Not only was the $ amount insanely high for a notorious choker, but the timing was even worse. What was Jerry's rush to get a deal done? He should have let him play out his last year. Either he blows again and they let him go (and draft a QB in a QB-heavy draft), or he does good and he probably gets a retirement extension.

#14 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Have you even watched a Cowboys game? Romo is guaranteed to blow a lead in the fourth quarter and choke when his team needs him most. He has no clutch gene.

Have you even watched a Cowboys game?

You do realize that he had five game winning drives last season right? Againt Carolina, Cleveland, Philly, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
That number would have been seven had Dez Bryant's fingernail not been out of bounds and Dan Bailey made a field goal against the Ravens.

Edited by Ryan81, 30 March 2013 - 10:43 AM.

$50 12 Team PPR, 8-1

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Shane Vereen, Jeremy Hill, Travis Kelce, Martavis Bryant

#15 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

I understand the sentiment of "what were the Cowboys suppossed to do?", but not sure I agree with a long term commitment to a guy that has done little to elevate the team into contender status.
It's a tough call to go looking for a new QB when you have championship caliber skill position players on the offense, but his contract is going to limit the team's long term ability to improve in the areas they need to most improve.
This team is already hard-pressed to make the post-season every year, so I am not sure this how move secures anything for Dallas except more middle of the pack results. They are committing to their current team model for the next 4 years (yes, 6 year deal, but we all know what really happens).

Romo lacks a commanding presence:
While I agree Romo is a good athlete and can make some great plays, I do not carry a picture of him as a quality leader...
I do not see him elevating the play of his teammates, giving them any sense of an emotional charge, or fine tuning their focus.
I also do not see his teammates rallying around him... except for his BFF Witten and a blubbering Terrell Owens a couple years back...
He strikes me as more of a "good time" guy that isn't going to get in anyone's grill and isn't going to lift this team to any notable results.

Lack of leadership is why why Dallas chokes every year when they play down the stretch...
No one to drive focus = no post season success.
Dallas committed themselves to a lack of leadership for the next few seasons...
Don't even get me started on Jason Garrett...

That's what happens when you have an owner who thinks he knows football and brings in a series of puppet coaches so he can boss them around.

#16 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Have you even watched a Cowboys game?

You do realize that he had five game winning drives last season right? Againt Carolina, Cleveland, Philly, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.
That number would have been seven had Dez Bryant's fingernail not been out of bounds and Dan Bailey made a field goal against the Ravens.

You must not have watched the Bears game, or the Redskins game week 17, just to name a few. Absolutely no clutch gene, crumbles under pressure. No need to give the guy over 100 Million, and as much guaranteed money as Brees.

#17 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

Bunch of knuckleheads. I won't name names, but your Romo-hating comments just show your ignorance about football, not only from judging talent, but also from a business perspective. The contract and the money is only partly about Romo being a Top 10 QB. It is probably more to do with his popularity and ability to draw viewership and advertising. Jerry may be a below average GM, but he is a brilliant businessman. So to piss and moan about the contract and how he isn't worth it because he sucks, blah, blah blah, is just moronic. Football from an owner's perspective is (or should be) first and foremost a business and the business is entertainment, so pull your heads out if you can. Romo is worth that money, probably more because he appeals to so many different demographic segments....men, women, Hispanics, fantasy football players, hardcore fans, haters....the list goes on and on. Romo's ability to draw fans and viewers more than pays for that contract.

Then there all all the comments about choking. name another QB that could have had more success behind that offensive (literally offensive) line That Romo's had to work with? Maybe Rodgers, Peyton and Stafford. That's about it. Eli and Flacco would be crushed weekly, their career passer ratings would probably be below 50 and they would likely be out of football if they had to play in Romo's situation for 9 friggin years! Just the fact that he had to stage 7 (could have been 9) late game winning drives last season should tell anyone that THE REST OF THE TEAM has more to do with the Cowboys ineptness than Romo himself. You see, this is the one of the main themes of his career. He is constantly forced to "pull a rabbit out of a hat". Not only that, he has to perform his magic acts while DL and LB are running freely through the line with such regularity that it is really remarkable that he is able to put up the numbers that he does. Does he have some horrible games and make some bonehead decisions? Absolutely, but so does Peyton Manning (last AFC CG as an example). In fact, I would guess that when the stakes were high Peyton has "choked" at least as much as Romo, whatever that means.

The fact is that Romo is very good QB, good enough to win the SB, but the structure of the Cowboys, from the ownership down to the coaches may never allow him to get there.Jerry is a terrible GM. He need to GTF out of the way, hire a proven GM and coach and let it roll like that. I know that's not going to happen, but it needs to.

Edited by pikerbkb, 31 March 2013 - 01:59 AM.

#18 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

Not sure we can compliment Jerry Jones as a brilliant business man and then turnaround and say he's a terrible GM that needs to GTF out of the way in the same rant.

If Jerry was a brilliant football man, he'd realize the Cowboys could go further with a lesser QB than Romo, but a better Oline and defense.
He has committed to neither here.

Winning games is what attracts fans of all demographics and advertizing and etc.
Romo's "ability" to draw fans? Please.
The Cowboys faithful are going to watch Cowboy games on Sunday regardless of who their QB is.

True, Romo does not deserve all the blame for the team's inability to make a post-season impact, but he does not get a free pass.
He is the field general for a team that chokes regularly...all 9 of his years.
Ultimately, a healthy percentage of that has to fall on his shoulders.

He has proven, in flashes, to be a tremendous playmaker.
But he has also proven, over time, to be consistently inconsistent... simple as that.
Inconsistent QB play leads to mediocre results.

Edited by Winky, 31 March 2013 - 06:54 AM.

• pikerbkb likes this
This post is rated "G".

#19 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

I'm no Romo fan, but If you can win a title with Joe Flacco, you can sure as hell win one with Romo.
  • RMJ_12 likes this

#20 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

Romo isn't in the same galaxy as Flacco.

If Lee Evans doesn't drop that perfect Flacco dime in the AFC title game two years, Flacco is probably a back to back Super Bowl Champion/MVP. Romo is the worst clutch athlete ever to exist. You play to win championships, and Romo can't win a meaningful game if his life depended it.

For fantasy purposes though, I agree that it is a good thing for all the cowboys/Romo for the present.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users