Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Erik Bedard 2013 OutlookJust in case you forgot about him.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I'm not saying Erik Bedard is a must draft or anything.  As he will go undrafted in almost all leagues this year.

But he is one of those high upside pitchers who isn't as old as most may think.

He just turned 34 back on March 6th and is looking to be healthy (which has always been his #1 concern).

He will be in the rotation for The Astros this year, he will start the season as the #5 possibly the #4.  So even though he will be an Astro he will be up against #4's and #5's for most of the year, increasing his win potential more than someone would figure for an old Astro pitcher.

Now Bedard did have a disastrious 2012 with The Pirates but again the health wasn't quite there.  But look back at his 16 starts with Seattle in 2011.  He was pitching very well, top 35 SP well.  So maybe he can find his way again with his new team.

His spring has been a small sample but extremely dominate.  Over 3 games 1 start he has thorwn:
6 IP 4 H 2 BB 9 K's and 0 ER!  Again small sample, but really I don't need a huge sample from a guy with a past like Bedard.  If he's healthy and pitching well, I'm going to jump the gun on him.

#2 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

If he were still in the NL then maybe worth a flier, but AL West? No thanks.

#3 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,751 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

dude has been eating off of 2 good years in baltimore in 06-07 his entire career. not much to see imo
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#4 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

He's a 34 year old with an arm at least 10 years older. His arm will never hold up for a whole year. It's a shame because I liked him with the O's, but he'll never make it a whole season again.
Bring back Ray!

#5 novaeagles21

novaeagles21

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Even if he finds his form somewhat, I find him so infuriating to watch. Always runs up full counts, nibbling away. A lot of his games you wouldn't trust yourself to use him anyway (vs. ANA, TEX etc).
12 Team H2H (AVG, OPS, R, HR, RBI, NSB, RC - IP, K, W, QS, ERA, WHIP, K/9, SV)

C:   Salvador Perez
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Chase Utley
3B: Mike Moustakas
SS: Elvis Andrus
OF:   Mike Trout
OF:   Justin Upton
OF:   Yoenis Cespedes
UTIL: Carlos Gomez
Bench : Ryan Howard, Martin Prado, Oscar Taveras

P:   Felix Hernandez, Matt Moore, Jon Lester, Jeff Samardzija, Alex Cobb, Julio Teheran, David Phelps, Andrew Cashner
RP:   Greg Holland, Ernesto Frieri, Bobby Parnell, Heath Bell, David Hernandez
DL:   Michael Pineda, Cory Luebke

#6 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

All the reports I read said Bedard wold be the 5th starter.  He came out of the pen today.  Maybe because The Stros are a day up on the rest of the season?

Either way Bedard is throwing absolute peas.  7 up 7 down, going out for his 3rd inning and first ever save opportunity.  I missed a couple batters but I haven't seen anyone even look comfortable against him.  

Yes Bedard is in the pen right now.  But they obviously wanted to get a look at him and are giving him an extended outing (for coming out of relief).

#7 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

I say that and jinxed him as Maxwell bailed Bedard out when David Murphy tagged one into the left center gap.

Then Nelson Cruz flaires one in.

Don't sleep on The Stros baby!!! Haha!!

#8 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

It appears he is not in Yahoos database at this point.  Even Yahoo forgot about him.

Edited by Neymar, 31 March 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#9 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostNeymar, on 31 March 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

It appears he is not in Yahoos database at this point.  Even Yahoo forgot about him.

Yikes.  Uncool Yahoo.

#10 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

I heard the broadcast crew say he was getting some work in because he may get skipped a time or two early.

He'd actually be a lot more intriguing as a reliever. He may actually be able to stay active for longer than 2 weeks at a time.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#11 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,276 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

major yahoo fail. guy started 24 games last year.

And yet the retired scott rolen is on roster?

I just hope I can snag him before my leaguemates- he looks rejuvenated.
SIG UPDATED TO 9/1/2014!

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Michael Crabtree (backups Kelvin Benjamin and Steve Smith)
RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Shane Vereen
TE Jason Witten (backup Kelce)
FLEX Ben Tate (backup RB benny cunningham, roy helu)

#12 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

I added him today. Finally on yahoos rosters.

Anyone feel like taking a risk on this guy? He blanked Texas kicking it old school.
SIG UPDATED TO 9/1/2014!

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Michael Crabtree (backups Kelvin Benjamin and Steve Smith)
RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Shane Vereen
TE Jason Witten (backup Kelce)
FLEX Ben Tate (backup RB benny cunningham, roy helu)

#13 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

View Postcyberer, on 02 April 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

I added him today. Finally on yahoos rosters.

Anyone feel like taking a risk on this guy? He blanked Texas kicking it old school.

He's not the worst option but I don't even think he would make my roster, or many others for that fact.

#14 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

He is in the starting rotation now and will start tomorrow @SEA.  Seems like a great matchup for him.

We could be looking at a top 40 pitcher for free off the waiver wire here.

#15 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Be ready to pounce on this guy if he has a big start.

#16 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Vegas has him as a pretty significant underdog to Brandon Maurer tonight. I know that's mainly due to the offense supporting him but while I was excited about him at first, I'm starting to sour on him greatly.

Houston has been linked to Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano. They plan on bumping Bedard from the rotation; their bullpen needs all the help it can get. Normally I'd be all over his early starts prior to his obligatory DL stint but this year I'm just not feeling much excitement. There's a reason Pittsburgh released him.

I'm certainly rooting for him though and his strikeout rate is intriguing but I feel the division he's in won't do him any favours.
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#17 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

In "W" leagues, which I don't play in,  I'd only use him in very favorable match ups,( he can not face his own team, so those are few and far between) but in QS leagues, I'm running him out there as long as he's healthy and has a rotation spot.
Intriguing news if true, that he'll be bumped if they sign someone else. Could be an asset as a RP, and with the status of their closer situation,.......hmmm, could they? would they? dare we mention him as a potential closer? might prolong his health and keep him on the field for a longer stretch, but I digress
Intended on dropping him after tonights game, but with a start in Oakland next Monday  potential 2 starts, might just hold and see. Only thing that worries me tonight is Sea is hitting the ball out of the gates, and with the fences moved in, might be a tough game, still rolling him, just not as confident as I wish I was..but also have Maurer going, hoping for 2 QS's.

Edited by FISH ON, 09 April 2013 - 05:01 PM.

“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”   Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it".   author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#18 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostPPolanco, on 09 April 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

Vegas has him as a pretty significant underdog to Brandon Maurer tonight. I know that's mainly due to the offense supporting him but while I was excited about him at first, I'm starting to sour on him greatly.

Houston has been linked to Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano. They plan on bumping Bedard from the rotation; their bullpen needs all the help it can get. Normally I'd be all over his early starts prior to his obligatory DL stint but this year I'm just not feeling much excitement. There's a reason Pittsburgh released him.

I'm certainly rooting for him though and his strikeout rate is intriguing but I feel the division he's in won't do him any favours.

I have Houston with a sizebly large wager tonight.  I also parlayed it with the under of 7.5 so hopefully I can hit that.

#19 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 09 April 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

I have Houston with a sizebly large wager tonight.  I also parlayed it with the under of 7.5 so hopefully I can hit that.

You should parlaying home teams with unders and away teams with overs.  Home team/under because if home team is winning, there is one less at bat.Away team/over because if away team is winning, you get the extra at bat.  You want these correlations for your parlay.

#20 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

View Postphoenixbases, on 09 April 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostFouLLine, on 09 April 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

You should parlaying home teams with unders and away teams with overs.  Home team/under because if home team is winning, there is one less at bat.Away team/over because if away team is winning, you get the extra at bat.  You want these correlations for your parlay.

No that's a great strategy.  I'm well aware of it and do take that to consideration quite often.  But tonight I think it's going to be a pitching dual.  A guy on the come up Mauer and a guy on the come back Bedard.  Both guys I think will be great fantasy assets this year.  I am much higher on Bedard though.