Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Jose Fernandez 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1443 replies to this topic

#1 Pusherman

Pusherman

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

He just got called up by the Marlins from High-A. He's one of the top prospects in the game. What can we expect?

#2 placeholder

placeholder

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Oh yes, adding him, he had a great spring!

http://www.fishstrip...fernandez-debut

Everything about Jose Fernandez that I have either seen or heard has been positive. Scouts seem to love him. Baseball America considers both his fastball and curveball to be the best in the Marlins' entire farm system. The general consensus seems to be that both pitches are plus (or plus-plus) pitches that are complemented with an about average change-up. Fernandez has three plus pitches, including an elite, plus-plus fastball. That is the makings of one good pitcher

Jose Fernandez's superb talent was reflected in his season statistics. Fernandez's absurd line at Single-A Greensboro included a sub-2.00 ERA and 11.3 strikeouts per nine innings, and his success continued when he was promoted to High-A Jupiter. Not only do scouts like what they see, but Fernandez 's minor league statistical performance clearly shows his value.

Jose Fernandez has all the makings of a premier player. When people watch him, they like him. When he plays in games, he plays well. He is doing everything perfectly, and that is one easy way to get noticed and move to the next level. Jose Fernandez is very much deserving of moving on to the next level, but the majors is not the next level for him, Double-A is.

Jose Fernandez has done everything right thus far. Hopefully this means he will keep doing everything right, But there is no reason for him to be playing for the Miami Marlins in 2013. He should continue to progress in the minors and refine his abilities, making him a better player when he makes his debut. If the Marlins wait to call him up and delay the start of his club control years, then he should both be a better and cheaper player and, most importantly, the Marlins should be more competitive in the future. Fernandez's value would be better served on as good of a team as can be built around him. A 2014 major league debut for Fernandez sounds ideal, but my one real request is that the Marlins do not rush him.

C - Russell Martin
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - ...........
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
SS - Jimmy Rollins
CI - Paul Goldschmidt
MI - Alexei Ramirez
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Shin Choo
OF - Hunter Pence
OF - Desmond Jennings
OF - Will Venable
UTL - Leonys Martin
DL - Corey Hart

#3 spaghetti

spaghetti

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Wow.. they're really rushing him. That's a pretty big jump. Not even any experience in Double A. Still worth a flier to see what he can do.

#4 placeholder

placeholder

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

A nice pitchers park too should help him out.
C - Russell Martin
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - ...........
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
SS - Jimmy Rollins
CI - Paul Goldschmidt
MI - Alexei Ramirez
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Shin Choo
OF - Hunter Pence
OF - Desmond Jennings
OF - Will Venable
UTL - Leonys Martin
DL - Corey Hart

#5 JoeMomma

JoeMomma

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Wow! I just picked him up in a Yahoo League. I wasn't expecting to find him. I'm taking a flier on him.
12 team 8x8 Roto Redraft League
Hitting (AVG, OBP, SLG, R RBI, HR, SB,)
Pitching (QS, WHIP, ERA, K, S, HO, K/9, H/9)

C--Buster Posey
C---Jason Castro
1B---Paul Goldschmidt
2B---Ian Kinsler
3B---Nolan Arenado
SS---Alexei Ramirez
CI---Anthony Rizzo
MI---Josh Rutledge
OF---Justin Upton, Austin Jackson, Dexter Fowler, Josh Reddick
UTIL---Billy Butler, Peter Bourjos
Bench---Eric Young. Jr, Ike Davis, Dustin Ackley

SP---Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Rick Porcello, Justin Masterson
RP---Edward Mujica, Jim Henderson, Huston Street, Brett Cecil, Mark Melancon, Junichi Tazawa, Tony Cingrani, Andrew Miller, Al Alburquerque

DL---Derek Jeter, Jedd Gyroko, Alex Cobb, Brandon Morrow, Sean Marshall

#6 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

I'm really shocked by this move. I thought theyd keep him down all year.
Bring back Ray!

#7 placeholder

placeholder

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

I'm really shocked by this move. I thought theyd keep him down all year.

It's the Marlins, what did ya expect? Ha!
C - Russell Martin
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - ...........
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
SS - Jimmy Rollins
CI - Paul Goldschmidt
MI - Alexei Ramirez
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Shin Choo
OF - Hunter Pence
OF - Desmond Jennings
OF - Will Venable
UTL - Leonys Martin
DL - Corey Hart

#8 craiggrebeck

craiggrebeck

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Grabbed him. Let's see what the kid can do. Probably won't stick once either Alvarez or Eovaldi come off the DL but who knows. Guess they have to give fans a reason to show up at the park.

#9 placeholder

placeholder

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

I doubt he stays long and will have an innings limit, but he might be nice for the time being.
C - Russell Martin
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - ...........
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
SS - Jimmy Rollins
CI - Paul Goldschmidt
MI - Alexei Ramirez
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Shin Choo
OF - Hunter Pence
OF - Desmond Jennings
OF - Will Venable
UTL - Leonys Martin
DL - Corey Hart

#10 jds2711

jds2711

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Gerrit Cole or Jose Fernandez? Or Wade Davis?

#11 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Watch him have a Cueto-esque MLB debut.

#12 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

Grabbed him. Let's see what the kid can do. Probably won't stick once either Alvarez or Eovaldi come off the DL but who knows. Guess they have to give fans a reason to show up at the park.

If he's doing good, they can't send him down. Their roster has minimal talent and he's the future for them at the top of the rotation.
Bring back Ray!

#13 SportsBrain

SportsBrain

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Have heard very very good things about him, and I'm a sucker for a high 90s fastball. If you have space on your bench there's no reason not to take the shot when the cost is nothing.

#14 craiggrebeck

craiggrebeck

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Sun Sentinel's Miami Marlins beat writer Juan C. Rodriguez:
Beinfest on Fernandez, who has not pitched above high-A: "It just seems like he's ready to do this. This is where he should be."
#Marlins will limit Jose Fernandez to 150-170 innings. Beinfest expects him to log them all in majors.

#15 RyanksN

RyanksN

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Can't believe he got the call!! I am big on this kid...to put it in perspective, we can only hold 5 SP in my points league and have 40 transaction cap....with that in mind I dumped Mike Minor for him...might be alittle crazy but its worth a shot
1.)CBS Auction Dynasty 5x5 Standard Roto (12 team)13 Keepers + 3 Minor League Keepers
$260 for 23 player (Also have 17 player bench not included in Auction Draft)
Batters (11) C(2)-Arencibia, Riuz $1 1st- Goldy $44, 2nd- Profar $9, 3rd- Sandavol $1, SS- Jeter $1, CI- Seager $7, MI- LaMeieu $1, OF(5)- J.Upton $26, Trout $61, C.Dickerson $5, Markakis $1, Castellanos $1 DH- Votto $37
BN - Y.Alonso $1, S.Genette $1, Ackley $1
Pitchers (4) SP(6)- , D.Keuchel $4, G.Cole $16, Teharan $15, Y.Ventura $1, D.Hutchenson $1, Pineda $1 RP(3)- T.Rosenthal $15, Hawkins $1, S.Casilla $2
BN - J.Paxton $1, D.Pomeranz $4, Tillman $5, M.Stroman $7, Rondon $1
Minors - J.Baez, K.Bryant,J.Pederson, J.Taillon, T.Glasnow, M.Wisler

2.)CBS Auction Dynasty Points League (12 team)10 Keepers + 2 Minor League Keepers
$300 for 18 players (Also have 12 player bench not included in Auction Draft)
Scoring: 1 pt = rbi, run, bb, sac, 2 pt= sb, 2.5 pt = dbl, 4 pt = hr, 5 pt = tpl, -1 =k
1 pt = IP, 2 pt = k, 3 pt = qs, hld, 4 pt = w, 5 pt = sv, 7.5 pt = cg, so, -1 pt = bb, er, -3 pts = loss
Batters (10) C- Weiters $22, 1st-F.Freeman $26, 2nd- Carpenter $11, 3rd- Arenado $11, SS- Jeter $1, OF(3)-McCutchens $50, W.Meyers $12, Gorden $7, DH (2)- A.Gon $22, Votto $49 BN-.A.Ram, Asdrubal, Cain, Pollock, Hansen, Seager, Soler
Pitchers (8) SP(5)- A.Wainwright $20, M.Scherzer $23, J.Zimmerman $17, M.Minor $12, Skaggs $1 RP(3)- S.Miller $12, A.Reed $2, A.Ogando $1 BN-.Miley $1, Paxton $9, E.Santana $12, Carrasco $8, A.Heaney $7

#16 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

His debut is against the Mets...lord knows there's not a better lineup to debut against.

That being said I added him.

Edited by NoClownQuestionsBro, 31 March 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#17 Tryptamine

Tryptamine

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

The jump from High A to MLB is just so ridiculously huge. I absolutely love Fernandez, but I can't see him having a ton of success this year facing far better hitters on a daily basis then he's ever seen.
10 Team H2H Redraft 5th pick (QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,TE,Flex,D/ST,K)
(5-5)
QB:Matt Ryan,Eli Manning
RB:DeMarco,Denard,FJax,Mathews,Blue,CJ Anderson
WR:Calvin,Desean,Watkins,Boldin,Colston
TE:Gronkowski
D/ST: Denver
K:Hauschka

12 Team H2H Redraft 6th pick (QB,RB,RB,WR,(WR/TE),Flex,D/ST,K)
(5-6)
QB:Romo,Rivers
RB:Forte,Morris,Denard,Jennings,Vereen
WR:Jeffrey,Gordon,Boldin,VJax,Baldwin
D/ST:SF,ARI
K:Hauschka

#18 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

The jump from High A to MLB is just so ridiculously huge. I absolutely love Fernandez, but I can't see him having a ton of success this year facing far better hitters on a daily basis then he's ever seen.

On a start by start basis it's not so bad. 4/5 of the Mets lineup belongs in High A anyway.

#19 JoeMomma

JoeMomma

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

The fact that they are planning to keep him up only sweetens the pot for me. Dropping a bench guy for a talent like this is a no-brainer. He could struggle sure, but definitely worth taking for a spin early in the season.
12 team 8x8 Roto Redraft League
Hitting (AVG, OBP, SLG, R RBI, HR, SB,)
Pitching (QS, WHIP, ERA, K, S, HO, K/9, H/9)

C--Buster Posey
C---Jason Castro
1B---Paul Goldschmidt
2B---Ian Kinsler
3B---Nolan Arenado
SS---Alexei Ramirez
CI---Anthony Rizzo
MI---Josh Rutledge
OF---Justin Upton, Austin Jackson, Dexter Fowler, Josh Reddick
UTIL---Billy Butler, Peter Bourjos
Bench---Eric Young. Jr, Ike Davis, Dustin Ackley

SP---Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Rick Porcello, Justin Masterson
RP---Edward Mujica, Jim Henderson, Huston Street, Brett Cecil, Mark Melancon, Junichi Tazawa, Tony Cingrani, Andrew Miller, Al Alburquerque

DL---Derek Jeter, Jedd Gyroko, Alex Cobb, Brandon Morrow, Sean Marshall

#20 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Given how cheap Loria is, there's only one explanation here - ticket sales & PR is so bad that the Marlins need to have a face-of-the-franchise besides Stanton. Given MIA's target population, getting Fernandez up seems like a move geared at trying to get the fanbase to start to forgive.

(If you think I'm kidding - http://sports.yahoo....44707--mlb.html).

Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is absolutely an elite dynasty talent - top 3 MILB SP right now. But he needed the time in AA/AAA, because the jump is just that huge. Think of Matt Moore's 2012 as a reference - negated by the fact the NL < AL, but countered by the fact he will have major growing pains in not just 1 order of magnitude between levels of talent to get used to, but 2 orders of magnitude, given the jump is even higher (high-A to AA/AAA is a big jump, AA/AAA to MLB is another major jump).

Nothing wrong with using a WW claim to get him - just keep expectations in check. If he gets off to a fast start, and people think this is Doc Gooden v2, can't hurt to see his trade market (although the 150-170 IP will certainly keep any H2H leagues' trade value down - of course talking redraft - in dynasty/keepers, this guy was already gold).

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!