Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Has there ever been a "down year" for injuries?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Straight Outta CPT

Straight Outta CPT

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

I swear every time I play fantasy basketball or football, I always hear that "there are an abnormally high number of injuries this year". Does anyone have any statistics on this?

#2 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Well the game depends more on injuries than your skill. I'm going to say every year there's a standard amount of injuries. Maybe last year was a bit worse in terms of long term knee injuries, but if you look at every player. They have times wehre they miss 10-20 games. Except for a handful.

Edited by VeganZombies, 31 March 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#3 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

I swear every time I play fantasy basketball or football, I always hear that "there are an abnormally high number of injuries this year". Does anyone have any statistics on this?

Thank you, this is what I've been saying for years haha! I know it's human nature to feel like you're always seeing the worst of this or the best of that but if you remove yourself from the situation emotionally you'll realize not much really changes year to year with things like injuries. Of course there will be some years a little worse than others, but seriously I've been playing fantasy basketball over 10 years and watching sports since I was a larva and EVERY year I hear how bad the current year is compared to others for injuries. Like clockwork. That being said I'd love to see some statistics if they were accurate, but honestly, I think that's almost an impossible request if you think about it. All a team does when a player is injured is report the injury but they aren't required to report severity (as far as I know) or report anything about the injury itself. This becomes problematic when a team is out of the playoffs or resting an older player for the playoffs or keeping someone out for another reason bc it artificially looks like they're hurt worse than they are if you just look at the injury reports. Also, I'm not 100% on this, but I would venture to guess injury reporting has been refined as the years have progressed and data is easier to track and process with computers etc, along with the fact that we have a better understanding of the athlete's body and the importance preventative treatment/rest (which may result in more games missed but not more injuries), but it doesn't mean the actual amount of injuries have changed.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#4 alexcuse

alexcuse

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Last year had more during regular fantasy season, but in terms of timing during fantasy playoffs, this year has been the worst in the last four years I've played.

Basketball 8-team FG%,FT%,3PTM,PTS,OREB,DREB,AST,ST,BLK,A/T,PF
PG: John Wall, Darren Collison (BN1), Mario Chalmers (BN3)
SG: Kyrie Irving, Brandon Knight
SF: Courtney Lee, Carmelo Anthony, Draymond Green (BN2)
PF: Derrick Favors, Dirk Nowitzki, Jared Sullinger
C: Al Horford, Ryan Anderson

Basketball 10-team H2H Points Standard
PG: Chris Paul, Kyle Lowry, Ty Lawson, Tony Wroten
SG: Kyle Korver, Donald Sloan, Evan Fournier (BN2)
SF: Courtney Lee, Jeremy Lamb (BN1), Terrence Jones (BN3)
PF: Tim Duncan, Jared Sullinger
C: Al Horford, Nerlens Noel

Football 10-team 1-pt PPR, H2H, 1 Flex
1 QB: Tony Romo, Matt Ryan
2 RB:  Mark Ingram, Jeremy Hill, Benny Cunningham, Fred Jackson, Ben Tate
2 WR: Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Torrey Smith, Vincent Jackson, Mike Wallace
1 TE: Coby Fleener, Larry Donnell, Michal Rivera

1 DEF: Green Bay; 1 K: Adam Vinateri

#5 TheWhiteMamba

TheWhiteMamba

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

It feels like the last few years(last year especially) have been much, much worse than this one. This season has been a little more tame I think you have Bynum and Eric Gordon who are chronically hurt from the get go as well as Granger who was out since day 1. The worst injuries have been Rondo(out of nowhere, no previous injuries), Love (started the year hurt but everyone thought he'd be fine), and Varejao(injury prone).
10 team .5 ppr
QB: Stafford
RB: Murray, Ellington
WR: Dez Bryant, Roddy White
TE: Kelce
FLEX: Rashad Jennings
D: stream
K: Bailey
BN: DeSean Jackson
BN: Erick Decker
BN: Denard Robinson
BN: Martavis Bryant
BN: Ahmad Bradshaw
BN: Jordan Reed

12 team H2H Points(Rebs 1.5, assists 2.5, blks&stls 3, TOs -1)
PG: Kemba Walker, Jeremy Lin, Oladipo
SG: Wade, Avery Bradley, Courtney Lee
SF: Kobe Bryant, Draymond Green, Giannis Antekuonpo
PF/C: DeMarcus Cousins, LaMarcus Aldridge, Markieff Morris, Channing Frye

#6 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

I've come to terms that I am going to lose players. Possibly more down the stretch. You can only do so much research as far as drafting the "durable" guy and avoiding the injury-prone players. There's not much you can do. Case in point, who would've thought Steph Curry's still playing at this time of the season? I'm willing to bet Adrian Peterson wasn't picked up in the 1st rd. in most leagues.

Health is the most unpredictable factor. Just be active on picking up free agents and you're doing your job.

#7 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yep, if you think drafting good durable players and just sitting back and enjoying your 'ship. You're going to have a bad time. I'm going to say every year one or 2 durable players goes down for extended period of time and one or two injury prone guys (career 50-60 game season) plays all 75+ games.

#8 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

While injuries can't be predicted, I definitely stay away from the gambles in the first two picks. I'm not letting a slight uptick in value get in the way of me winning. 3rd pick and on, I can definitely take one high one with injury risk. You just want to minimize your risk and maximize value. Of course, most importantly you just have to be lucky. I think as long as your top guys don't go out with injury, it can be managed. If you lose a Kevin Durant, you are not replacing that. So no, players get injured all the time. It's a pretty intense sport. I am surprised actually last year that there weren't more injuries considering the schedule, but maybe it's just carrying over into this year.

#9 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

While injuries can't be predicted, I definitely stay away from the gambles in the first two picks. I'm not letting a slight uptick in value get in the way of me winning. 3rd pick and on, I can definitely take one high one with injury risk. You just want to minimize your risk and maximize value. Of course, most importantly you just have to be lucky. I think as long as your top guys don't go out with injury, it can be managed. If you lose a Kevin Durant, you are not replacing that. So no, players get injured all the time. It's a pretty intense sport. I am surprised actually last year that there weren't more injuries considering the schedule, but maybe it's just carrying over into this year.

It's a good point definitely. I find that in H2H the guys that bring you to glory aren't your 1st few picks, but rather your later picks that perform like top picks. That being said though the guys you draft early on, to me at least, are like the foundation. You need them to be there consistently, almost in a boring way, producing. The best teams in pretty much every league I participate in follow these principles. Taking a non-durable player with huge game potential early on is just not worth it because without that base your team isn't going to make it far enough for the value picks to shine. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but that's how I draft the first few rounds every year. That's why I'll never make the misstake of drafting a Denver Nugget again haha! Yeah, they might've helped me pad my regular season stats but that means nothing when some of your top picks (Iggy, Lawson) in several leagues put up 2p 3a. Not cool! It's also the reason that, barring injuries, the Portalnd Trailblazers, Chicago Bulls, Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat, even the GSW Warriors, etc are great teams to own players from. You KNOW your top guys are going to get their minutes no matter what.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#10 vnmslsrbms

vnmslsrbms

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

In the case of the bulls, they'll get their minutes even when they are hurt. Thibodeau is hard core. George Karl while I respect him for his fight back from cancer, I despise for his random matchup rotations. Why do you have to change for the other team? Why can't they change for you? I don't think it makes sense when you have guys as good as Faried. However, they are winning, so I guess I shouldn't disagree with a pro head coach. keith smart on the other hand, really doesn't seem all that smart at all. Damn coaches!

Anyway I do agree with your drafting strategy. Although in addition to injury prone guys, I am wary of bad attitude guys like Cousins now too. I watched some Kings games, and it's just painful to watch him play. He tries to act like he's always mad, always shaking his head like someone has wronged him (even though he wasn't involved in a play), fights teammates for rebounds to pad his stats, struggles against athletic centers, takes long jumpers, doesn't really execute post moves (at least sophisticated ones). But even with all that, he still produces! If they can just talk to him and get through, maybe he had some bad experience in his childhood or something that we are no appreciating. But he just needs to get it sorted out. I'm really just mad because I took him over Harden in one of my leagues thinking I got a steal. That and it's just miserable to watch him play. Keith Smart is not the right coach for him.

#11 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Anyway I do agree with your drafting strategy. Although in addition to injury prone guys, I am wary of bad attitude guys like Cousins now too. I watched some Kings games, and it's just painful to watch him play. He tries to act like he's always mad, always shaking his head like someone has wronged him (even though he wasn't involved in a play), fights teammates for rebounds to pad his stats, struggles against athletic centers, takes long jumpers, doesn't really execute post moves (at least sophisticated ones). But even with all that, he still produces! If they can just talk to him and get through, maybe he had some bad experience in his childhood or something that we are no appreciating. But he just needs to get it sorted out. I'm really just mad because I took him over Harden in one of my leagues thinking I got a steal. That and it's just miserable to watch him play. Keith Smart is not the right coach for him.

I think his biggest adversary is his age. As he matures and gets older, hopefully he will lose the attitude. Though I'm sure it doesn't hurt that he is on such a rotten team so he can put up stats. Maybe if he were on a better team as well, that might help him.
High Above Courtside fantasy basketball league
  • 12 franchises, starting its 4th season in 2013-14
  • points based, daily lineup, head to head
  • keeper league