11 replies to this topic

#1 id10t

id10t

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

What do you guys think of Justin Maxwell this season?

I just picked him up since Billingsley and Tex finally went on the DL.  It had been a toss up between Maxwell and Justin Ruggiano.
With news of Rugg's platoon, it made it a fairly easy decision.

For my purposes, in a points league, he and Rugg are similar.  The BA doesn't have much impact.  Both play for absolutely horrible teams.
13 Team Yahoo League - 23 man Roster - 7 Player Keeper* - Points Based - Start - 1 (1B, 2B, SS, 3B, C, RP), 2 (Util), 3 (OF), 4 (SP)

C - Posey* (1B)
1B - Gonzalez*, Carter (OF), Butler
2B - Cano*
SS - Reyes*
3B - Ramirez
OF - Gomez*, Gordon, Dickerson, Duda (1B)
SP - Wainwright*, Samardzija, Fister, Gee, Stroman, McCarthy, Locke, Latos, Koehler, Lincecum, Oberholtzer
RP - Rodriguez

4/20 - Traded Dickey for Straily/Morrow (ugh)
8/17 - Traded Yelich, Hahn, Danks for Butler, Latos, Koehler, Lincecum

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

I like Maxwell's mix of power and speed. A really underrated 20/20 threat.
Bring back Ray!

#3 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

20/20 threat for sure. Took the words from my post
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#4 Pusherman

Pusherman

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Poor hitter on a bad team with minimal upside.

#5 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Early frontrunner for AL MVP.

#6 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,743 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

on pace for 324 hits, 324 runs and 324 rbis !

#7 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostmonkeyzonSteroids, on 31 March 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

on pace for 324 hits, 324 runs and 324 rbis !

I think we're going to see a 15 WAR season from Maxwell.  That's a modest projection though.  Could be in the 20 WAR range.

#8 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

View PostPusherman, on 31 March 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Poor hitter on a bad team with minimal upside.

Upside looked okay to me last night.

Again, 20/20. Maybe .260 if everything goes perfect.  Tamper expectations. Guys like maxwell can help you
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#9 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

he had a good game last night. dont be all happy to add him and call him something just yet.

#10 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,427 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

The XBH, R's & RBI's were nice - but I drafted him for his HR & SB's - so far on a pace for 0/0.

:lol:

Seriously, though - as long as you accept the fact he's likely to hit no better than .250, and his R/RBI opps will be limited, the power/speed combo as an endgame/WW pick has appeal.    The one silver lining is that HOU is likely to throw him out there pretty much every day.   In deep leagues, or 5-OF leagues, there's definitely value to be had here - as long as expectations of 2-cat asset (HR/SB), and hopefully neutral in 2 (R/RBI) to offset the .avg drain.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#11 accobra_kid

accobra_kid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Fractured hand.  Is that a season-ender, or can we expect anything from him this year?

#12 Milk Me

Milk Me

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Interests:You.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

This is probably a bit of a bump.. but since he has a thread, rather than make a new one, in the wake of his current production I feel he is worth some discussion.
And also worth looking into again now that's he is off the bereavement list and going to get valid playing time in KC; he was tearing it up upon joining the team before going away for a few days. In 40 AB since joining the Royals, he has yielded the following results: 15 hits, 9 runs, 4/10 BB/K ratio, 3 home runs, 3 doubles, and 1 triple, and 7 runs batted in, adding up to a triple-slash of .375/.432/.725 with an OPS of 1.157-- this all only in 16 games with KC, mind you, but still mighty impressive and considering it's not like he hasn't been known to possess the talent before, could be possibly be figuring something out? Anyone watched him more exclusively as of late?-- Royals fans, perhaps?....

I admit I have not seen a ton of his at bats that haven't made the highlight reel, but some of his monster home runs are proof his power still exists-- and those do make the high lights when he hits 'em. My concern would be with KC scuffling again and starting to (likely) fade for good, will he keep it up and play for a deal or drop-off/regress, production-wise, like usual?
Please delete/remove my two accounts from the forums via deletion or whatever will take them down permanently. I'd rather lurk than post and don't think this is the right message board for my tastes (as far goes contribution anyway). Thank you very much and cheers to the great touts and lineup posters over time- I'll still read your posts quietly when I have the time! ~milkme ala chatterbox or allen craig ala nick mitchell or whatever the F

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users