Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Justin Maxwell 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 id10t

id10t

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

What do you guys think of Justin Maxwell this season?

I just picked him up since Billingsley and Tex finally went on the DL. It had been a toss up between Maxwell and Justin Ruggiano.
With news of Rugg's platoon, it made it a fairly easy decision.

For my purposes, in a points league, he and Rugg are similar. The BA doesn't have much impact. Both play for absolutely horrible teams.
10 Team Yahoo League - 20 man Roster - .5 PPR - Start - 1 (QB, TE, WR/TE, DST, K), 2 (RB, WR)

QB - Wilson, Roethlisberger, Palmer; RB - Lacy, Ball, Bush, Gore, Ingram, Starks; WR - Allen, A. Johnson, T. Smith, T. Austin, Bowe, Hopkins, Gordon; TE - Reed, Walker; DST - Seattle; K - Walsh

13 Team Yahoo League - 23 man Roster - 7 Player Keeper* - Points Based - Start - 1 (1B, 2B, SS, 3B, C, RP), 2 (Util), 3 (OF), 4 (SP)

C - Posey* (1B); 1B - Gonzalez*, Carter (OF), Butler; 2B - Cano*; SS - Reyes*; 3B - Ramirez; OF - Gomez*, Gordon, Dickerson, Duda (1B); SP - Wainwright*, Samardzija, Fister, Gee, Stroman, McCarthy, Locke, Latos, Koehler, Hammel, M. Gonzalez; RP - Rodriguez

4/20 - Traded Dickey for Straily/Morrow (ugh)
8/17 - Traded Yelich, Hahn, Danks for Butler, Latos, Koehler, Lincecum

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

I like Maxwell's mix of power and speed. A really underrated 20/20 threat.
Bring back Ray!

#3 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

20/20 threat for sure. Took the words from my post
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#4 Pusherman

Pusherman

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Poor hitter on a bad team with minimal upside.

#5 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,461 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Early frontrunner for AL MVP.

#6 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,763 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

on pace for 324 hits, 324 runs and 324 rbis !

#7 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,461 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

on pace for 324 hits, 324 runs and 324 rbis !

I think we're going to see a 15 WAR season from Maxwell. That's a modest projection though. Could be in the 20 WAR range.

#8 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

Poor hitter on a bad team with minimal upside.

Upside looked okay to me last night.

Again, 20/20. Maybe .260 if everything goes perfect. Tamper expectations. Guys like maxwell can help you
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#9 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

he had a good game last night. dont be all happy to add him and call him something just yet.

#10 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,612 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

The XBH, R's & RBI's were nice - but I drafted him for his HR & SB's - so far on a pace for 0/0.

:lol:

Seriously, though - as long as you accept the fact he's likely to hit no better than .250, and his R/RBI opps will be limited, the power/speed combo as an endgame/WW pick has appeal. The one silver lining is that HOU is likely to throw him out there pretty much every day. In deep leagues, or 5-OF leagues, there's definitely value to be had here - as long as expectations of 2-cat asset (HR/SB), and hopefully neutral in 2 (R/RBI) to offset the .avg drain.
Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, Gerhart, C-Michael, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#11 accobra_kid

accobra_kid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Fractured hand. Is that a season-ender, or can we expect anything from him this year?

#12 Milk Me

Milk Me

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

This is probably a bit of a bump.. but since he has a thread, rather than make a new one, in the wake of his current production I feel he is worth some discussion.
And also worth looking into again now that's he is off the bereavement list and going to get valid playing time in KC; he was tearing it up upon joining the team before going away for a few days. In 40 AB since joining the Royals, he has yielded the following results: 15 hits, 9 runs, 4/10 BB/K ratio, 3 home runs, 3 doubles, and 1 triple, and 7 runs batted in, adding up to a triple-slash of .375/.432/.725 with an OPS of 1.157-- this all only in 16 games with KC, mind you, but still mighty impressive and considering it's not like he hasn't been known to possess the talent before, could be possibly be figuring something out? Anyone watched him more exclusively as of late?-- Royals fans, perhaps?....

I admit I have not seen a ton of his at bats that haven't made the highlight reel, but some of his monster home runs are proof his power still exists-- and those do make the high lights when he hits 'em. My concern would be with KC scuffling again and starting to (likely) fade for good, will he keep it up and play for a deal or drop-off/regress, production-wise, like usual?
recap w/ 2 wks remaining...
ROSTER:
C Derek Norris+, 1B Matt Adams, 2B Anthony Rendon, 3B Casey McGehee, SS Alexei Ramirez, CI Brock Holt, MI Arismendy Alcantara, OF(x5) Giancarlo Stanton, Ben Revere,  J.D. Martinez, Christian Yellich, Jorge Soler(opening day N/A stash), UTL(x2) Juan Lagares, Khris Davis
BN OF Lorenzo Cain, OF Carl Crawford
SP(x3) Chris Sale, Zach Greink, Phil Hughes, RP(x3) Joe Nathan, Hector Rondon, Edward Mujica, P(SP/RP-x3) Neftali Feliz, Tony Sipp, Chad Qualls, BN Scott Kazmir SP, Carlos Carrasco SP/RP, Jake Arrieta SP
THE DEPOSED:
Kyle Seager (FA add who gave me 31R, 11HR, 54 RBI & 5 SB before dealt), Scooter Gennett (Fa add) dealt for Joe Nathan, 1-for-1 and I've re-added Scooter since his owner had dropped him at points, Corey Dickerson (impatient drop by me-ugh), Goldschmidt(original pick, hit & out for year); Wil Myers(original pick I dropped and didn't want to DL/wait on w/ how he'd been playing), Nolan Arrenado(original pick; dealt for Ben Revere about 3wks ago 1-for-1), Yasiel Puig (dealt 1-for-1 for Greinke about 1-2/4ths into the season), Tulo (went down, original draftee), Kolten Wong (untimely drop), Koji (dealt for 1-for-1 for Heyward, an original pick- dropped recently for Tony Sipp), Brandon Moss (dealt for Yellich and Cody Allen), Mike Cuddyer (on my team as an original pick and re-pickup, but dropped again), Yan Gomes (original 1$ draft pick and C, dropped 2/4th thru for Vogt/Norris combo), Vogt (dropped recently for Carl Crawford I think), Josh Harrison(dealt in a deal for Brock Holt), Sean Doolittle (1IP- 18.00/2.00 WHIP from it, prior to him getting the CL- I f'd up there...  outright drop for god knows who), Shelby Miller & Gerrit Cole (14 wins total; both original picks, Miller cut and Cole dealt for Alexei SS 1-for-1), Garrett Richards (11 W- FA add, and cut once injured), Jake McGee, Ronald Belisario, Jenry Mejia- 20SV (McGee dealt in deal for Khris Davis and Matt Adams; Belisario cut; Mejia dealt w/ 1 total SV for Rendon early in year :)
go team go I need the money, GIVE ME THE MONEY STUART LITTLE DILLHOLE. I NEED SOME WHITE LADY, K.