Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Josh Freeman 2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
235 replies to this topic

#1 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Just looks like the Bucs have lost faith in this guy only a few years since he showed so much promise. what's his deal? Still potentially elite? Never had it, never will?

(12:56) T.Richardson up the middle to 50 for -5 yards (W.Mercilus). :)  :)  :) 

#2 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

I haven't watched him play much, but from a fantasy standpoint wasn't he doing pretty decent last year?

$50 12 Team PPR, 8-1

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Shane Vereen, Jeremy Hill, Travis Kelce, Martavis Bryant

#3 megamoviejohn

megamoviejohn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Started off bad, then really started to do good, then when fantasy owners could finally trust him he started to suck again for the remainder of the season. He had statistically 2 of the best match-ups possible late in the season against Philly and Saints and he was still pretty bad.

He completed more deep bomb passes than anyone for most of the year if I remember correctly too, V Jax and Mike Williams were both excellent on jump balls. It definitely helped his numbers and without a few of those lucky catches his numbers would look far worse.
Rotoworld Dynasty Football League
12 Teams- .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, RB/WR, TE, Full Flex, D/ST, K
2010, 2012, 2013 Champions
QB: Kaepernick, Rivers, Palmer
RB: Peterson, Charles, McCoy, Lacy, Helu,
WR: J. Jones, Marshall, J. Gordon, DeAndrew Hopkins, Shorts, Bowe, Bailey, Landry
TE: Grownkowski, V. Davis, Ertz
K: Graham
D/ST: New England Patriots, Bears

#4 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Just way too inconsistent then and from what I saw, too many picks. Some really great games, but just as many horrible games. Anybody hear any knocks on him that have come out after turning pro? Not smart enough, off-field distractions, not picking up Schiano's offense?

#5 prizl

prizl

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

He is at best a game manager not changer. He is inaccurate and does not handle pressure well. I cannot remember the last time Tampa ever had a good quarterback, they tend to put all their chips in the defensive basket.

He reminds me of a younger Jason Campbell with a weaker arm

#6 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Still a young QB who is progressing. Finished 13th in scoring. Not a guy I want as my starter but would be happy with him as my backup.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#7 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

He is at best a game manager not changer. He is inaccurate and does not handle pressure well. I cannot remember the last time Tampa ever had a good quarterback, they tend to put all their chips in the defensive basket.

He's way better than Campbell ever was. Freeman can actually throw down the field, Campbell just checks down all the time.
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pta
QB: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Mark Ingram, Chris Ivory, Jonas Gray
WR: Josh Gordon, Roddy White, Odell Beckham Jr, Vincent Jackson
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

#8 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

He's way better than Campbell ever was. Freeman can actually throw down the field, Campbell just checks down all the time.

I agree he's better than Campbell but Campbell can throw a pretty deep ball, at least he did with WAS.
Freeman is one of those guys that will never be elite but but can win with some weapons and at least a decent defense. For fantasy purposes he'll probably always be nothing more than a upper level QB2.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 4-7

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#9 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Started off bad, then really started to do good, then when fantasy owners could finally trust him he started to suck again for the remainder of the season. He had statistically 2 of the best match-ups possible late in the season against Philly and Saints and he was still pretty bad.

He completed more deep bomb passes than anyone for most of the year if I remember correctly too, V Jax and Mike Williams were both excellent on jump balls. It definitely helped his numbers and without a few of those lucky catches his numbers would look far worse.

Now I remember. Freeman and Martin screwed me in the playoffs. They and a platoon of other plays contributed to my massive dud crushing my championship hopes.

Doesn't surprise me on the deep balls. VJax is very good at that. I don't think this guy has QB1 potential but might be one of those guys you could plug and play for matchups. But then again, that's what burned me last year so I don't know.

$50 12 Team PPR, 8-1

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Shane Vereen, Jeremy Hill, Travis Kelce, Martavis Bryant

#10 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Some back-up QB ranked in the 15-25 range (Freemen, Cutler, Tannehill, Locker, etc.) is going to end up being a top 10 QB. Freeman could easily be that guy, especially if the team doesn't trade its #13 pick for Revis and uses it on Tavon Austin.

#11 ILoveArt

ILoveArt

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

I started Ryan all year, had Freeman as a backup and he was looking really bad earlier in the season. Didn't trust him. Started him on Ryan's bye and he blew up big time :D beat my archrival that week.

So there's some love for the guy.

Now I don't see Tampa games and I realize that FF and real football are different, but for FF purposes, he's been a really good QB2 that I'd highly recommend. That his GM is down on him is kind of a bummer because the guy is putting up FF numbers. I trust Prizl and pikerbkb when they explain why. But It's not like the league is overflowing with QB talent. There's got to be a dozen starting QBs worse than him.

Edited by ILoveArt, 05 April 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#12 jtaylor39

jtaylor39

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

The jury is still out, this is a big year for him as it's his last year before contract restructure so the motivation will be high. Just not sure if he's got IT. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs draft a qb this year as plan B in case Freeman implodes.
NABL 12 team ppr $$ League
2011 Champion
2012 3rd Place
2013 2nd Place

FFAH League
2009, 2010, 2011 Champion

I cash checks.

#13 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

The jury is still out, this is a big year for him as it's his last year before contract restructure so the motivation will be high. Just not sure if he's got IT. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs draft a qb this year as plan B in case Freeman implodes.

After looking at the situation, I think they are just trying to "push" Freeman and see if he responds. I think the culture in TB was pretty bad before Schiano took over, there was not a unified push to be better. I think Freeman has all the tools to be a very good, maybe elite QB. There was an adjustment period last year with a new HC and OC. Freeman, although inconsistent, had the best statistical year of his career overall. Now he has to take care of the ball and make a higher percentage of his throws. Contract year as well. I can see him elevating his game this year. Whether or not he stays with the Bucs is anyone's guess.

#14 egomaniac247

egomaniac247

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

I agree with most of this except the first sentence.

When I think of a game manager I think of a guy who doesn't take risks, doesn't throw the deep ball, and makes just the conservative throws needed to keep the offense (run game) moving.

If anything Freeman is a deep ball passer who's probably too reckless with the ball.

Anyways, I'm targeting him as my 2nd QB since I don't tend to take my 2nd QB until fairly late. I'd rather have him than Flacco to be honest. With my 2nd QB I just want the chance that a guy will throw for big yards and multiple TD's in a game.

#15 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Uh oh, Tampa Bay just put Freeman on notice.. just drafted big armed Mike Glennon in the 3rd round.

#16 RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Anyone remember what he did his rookie year? WTF was that? He was REALLY good. Why'd he fall off. And why doesn't he run anymore?
12-Team PPR
3-0 w/ #1 Waiver Wire

QB: Cam Newton
RB: Jamaal Charles
RB: Reggie Bush
WR: Danny Amendola
WR: Jordy Nelson
TE: Jimmy Graham
Flex: Pierre Garcon
K: Dan Bailey
DEF: New England Patriots (or streaming)
Bench: Tony Romo, Gio Bernard, Josh Gordon, Anquan Boldin, Joique Bell, Kenbrell Thompkins, Defense of the Week

#17 instant290

instant290

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,772 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Anyone remember what he did his rookie year? WTF was that? He was REALLY good. Why'd he fall off. And why doesn't he run anymore?

Yeah him and Mike Williams both looked like future stars.

#18 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Huh?

You mean his rookie year where he threw 10 TD's and 18 picks?

He was decent last year through week 11, and then the wheels fell off.

Edited by Deadpool, 23 August 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#19 instant290

instant290

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,772 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Huh?

I am guessing he is referring to his sophomore season when he was the fulltime starter, went for 3450/25/6

#20 RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

RonPaulRonPaulRonPaul

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Huh?

I am guessing he is referring to his sophomore season when he was the fulltime starter, went for 3450/25/6

That's correct. Totally forgot he even had a season in 2009.
12-Team PPR
3-0 w/ #1 Waiver Wire

QB: Cam Newton
RB: Jamaal Charles
RB: Reggie Bush
WR: Danny Amendola
WR: Jordy Nelson
TE: Jimmy Graham
Flex: Pierre Garcon
K: Dan Bailey
DEF: New England Patriots (or streaming)
Bench: Tony Romo, Gio Bernard, Josh Gordon, Anquan Boldin, Joique Bell, Kenbrell Thompkins, Defense of the Week