26 replies to this topic

#1 uwguy98

uwguy98

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Saunders lasted four whole innings in his first regular season game.  He was lucky to get away with only 4ERs.  Instead of admitting that he had no control, he blamed the baseballs.  The same baseballs that Tommy Milone was using to keep the Mariner bats quiet, Saunders said were slick and therefore he couldn't establish a grip on them.  What a buffoon.  This is the guy who said ST was boring and he was just waiting for the regular season to start.  The regular season is here now and I suspect Saunders will not be in his #3 spot at the end of it.

#2 Sean-O

Sean-O

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Not a great showing for sure. With that said, Joe Saunders is what he is. A middle of the road, average pitcher. He'll eat up some innings  & until the "young guns" are ready he'll be in the rotation.
CBS H2H - 12 Team League (*1 game eligibility)

C (1) - Montero
1B (1) - Encarnacion
2B (1) - D. Gordon
SS (1) - Aybar
3B (1) - Beltre
OF (3) - Gomez, Pence, Brantley
U (2) - Hosmer, Me. Cabrera, Duda, Hardy

P (7 total - combined)
SP - Scherzer, C. Lee, Lester, Liriano, Cole, Ryu, Kuroda, Colon, Buehrle, J. Chavez, Danks, Elias, M. Gonzalez
RP - Kimbrel

Scoring (batting = 1 pt single, 2 pts double, 3 pts triple, 4 pts homer, 1 pt BB, 1 pt run, 1 pt HBP, 1 pt RBI, 2 pts SB)
Scoring (pitching = 10 pts win, 10 pts save, 1 pt K, 2 pts IP, 5 pts CG, -.5 BB, -.5 hits allowed, -1 ER, -5 BS, -.5 HB)

#3 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Uwguy98, Some serious hate for Saunders there.  Notice your location is Maryland.  You wouldn't be a disgruntled O's fan angry that Saunders, who pitched very well for you last year, did not resign?

#4 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

View Postsunnyside, on 04 April 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Uwguy98, Some serious hate for Saunders there.  Notice your location is Maryland.  You wouldn't be a disgruntled O's fan angry that Saunders, who pitched very well for you last year, did not resign?

Looking at his avatar it would appear he is a Mariners fan....

I too am from Seattle, and I hate Joe Sanders, he is so boring to watch pitch.  Its just missiles all over the park you just pray they go right to fielders gloves.  He has a long, long, long leash though.  They gave him 7.5 Million and the Mariners are very stubborn to ever admit a mistake.  And while most males use some sort of adult content to have "fun" with, Eric Wedge when he is trying to have "fun" he just pulls up veterans players stats.  This guy has a serious man crush on VETERANS.

#5 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Cm,

I guess I'm not a visual person.  

Wow, that's some intense ragging on Wedge.  Not sure I agree with you about veterans.  I'll think about it more and get back to you.

#6 uwguy98

uwguy98

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postsunnyside, on 04 April 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

I grew up in Seattle and am a Mariner fan but I work in the D.C. area now.  Saunders is just this year's Kevin Millwood, a veteran they only sign for a one year contract and then move out of town.  Unfortunately, perhaps they only looked at Saunders's time with Baltimore last year where he was maintaining instead of his time at Arizona where he was floundering.  Looks like we got stuck with the flounder.  The 'hate' comes from him blaming slick baseballs for his lousy night instead of his lousy pitches.

#7 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

To me Saunders role this season is very much like the one he had last - he's a usable innings eater that goes through times where he sucks, and then hits solid streaks where he has QS after QS.

Last year I thought he was kind of a place holder in the rotation til the Diamondbacks deemed Bauer or Skaggs ready. By place holder I don't mean guy they will move to the bullpen - but a guy that has some reliable miles on his arm that they could trade to a contender that desperately needs a #4-5 starter for the post season push. Now - as we all know neither Bauer or Skaggs lit the world on fire - but Saunders was still moved. I'm hoping Hultzen or Paxton or Ramirez or Walker can really emerge to give the M's this option.

As Cmilne23 said - he's hard to watch pitch, and even when he's good there's so much loud contact. I've always thought he was a cry baby and talks like he's far better than he is. The most frustrating thing for me with Saunders and Beaven in the rotation is I feel that organization is just kind of taking a "we're just gonna trot out this dude today, hopefully he can get us 6" mindset. How about a little trail by fire - can the M's try this once for the love of god? About about a little excitement. Ramirez not making it over Beaven made more sense to me when I noticed Ramirez was started the season on AAA DL, but Beaven sucks - we know this, time and time again.

While I don't think the M's are any kind of playoff contender, I do think they are good enough to really be a pest to good teams and make things interesting. But Seeing the meatball factory in service 40% of the time annoys me to no end.

#8 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

I have Saunders and Jose Quintana on my AL-only fantasy team.  Both stunk last week, but I have Saunders in there for his two start this week.  Quintana is on the bench.  Trust the vet, not the youngster to bounce back and give me some QS time.

As for what is going on in Seattle's rotation: it seems that Ramirez had an injury, which would explain Beavan and Mauerer ahead of him in the rotation.  It's not like the M's aren't giving the kids a shot at all - Beavan and Mauerer are in the rotation, not Bonderman and Garland.

Think Saunders will be significantly better than Millwood was last season in his final year.  He will be a decent 3rd or 4th starter type, giving them dependability when they have a chance, like the O's last year, to take their division (Texas is weaker; Anaheim is hyped; Oakland is solid but not overwhelming) or grab one of the wild-card spots.

#9 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postsunnyside, on 07 April 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

I have Saunders and Jose Quintana on my AL-only fantasy team.  Both stunk last week, but I have Saunders in there for his two start this week.  Quintana is on the bench.  Trust the vet, not the youngster to bounce back and give me some QS time.

As for what is going on in Seattle's rotation: it seems that Ramirez had an injury, which would explain Beavan and Mauerer ahead of him in the rotation.  It's not like the M's aren't giving the kids a shot at all - Beavan and Mauerer are in the rotation, not Bonderman and Garland.

Think Saunders will be significantly better than Millwood was last season in his final year.  He will be a decent 3rd or 4th starter type, giving them dependability when they have a chance, like the O's last year, to take their division (Texas is weaker; Anaheim is hyped; Oakland is solid but not overwhelming) or grab one of the wild-card spots.

Saunders ceiling this season is what Millwood's stats were for Seattle last year, 4.25 ERA, 1.39 WHIP.  Lets not beat around the bush, Saunders sucks, he has really bad stuff and the only way he is decent is if he has a good BABIP season.  But he faces Houston so he better throw a QS or he should be on waiver wires in every size league, AL only or not.

#10 jariners

jariners

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

I picked him up for a spot start.
Auction PPR, 6pt all TD. Start: 2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2FLEX (TE too), DEF, K.

QB- Luck, Flynn, Gabbert
RB- Foster, Bush, Miller, Mathews
WR- Cruz, Wallace, DHB, Hartline
TE- Finley, Sudfeld, Thomas
DEF- Pitt
K- The Leg

#11 The Sheriff

The Sheriff

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm spot starting Saunders vs HOU. His first matchup was against OAK who is hitting the ball well. OAK is 8th overall in OBP (.333). So they obviously know how to take a walk and strike the ball. HOU ranks 28th in OBP (234).

to expand this OAK ranks 4th overall in BB's (24)
HOU ranks 30th (9)

So (small sample sizes in mind) I'm still assuming this will be a strong contrast from his last start.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

Twitter: @SheriffStathead

14 team 5x5 Roto Dynasty

C Doumit, Alex Avila
1B LaRoche / Swisher
2B Pedroia
3B Beltre / Aramis
SS Segura
OF Justin Upton, Jose Bautista, Kemp, Willingham, Maxwell, Pierre
SP Darvish, Dickey, Cueto, Peavy, Haren, Iwakuma, Beckett, (Cingrani unable to house in Minor bench)
RP Nathan, Grilli, League, Balfour, Fujikawa, Storen, Doolittle, Marshall

Minors allow 4 total:
Currently owned: Brian Goodwin

#12 Beakman

Beakman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

It also helps that Joe is pitching in Seattle.  His career  numbers in that park are scrumptious (55 IP, 2.13 ERA, 1.18 WHIP).  Hoping for an easy W tonight.  

Go, Joe!

#13 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

The following is from the "Player Notes."

Brandon Maurer was pulled after allowing six earned runs in two-thirds of an inning Tuesday in his start against the Astros.
Yeah, against the Astros. This after Maurer gave up six runs in six innings and lost to the A's his first time out. The Mariners figure to give him one more chance, but they could move on to Jeremy Bonderman or Danny Hultzen if he doesn't take a big step forward. Unfortunately, Erasmo Ramirez (elbow) isn't ready just yet.
Apr 10 - 2:06 AM

Come on, "give the kid a chance"!

#14 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

"And while most males use some sort of adult content to have "fun" with, Eric Wedge when he is trying to have "fun" he just pulls up veterans players stats.  This guy has a serious man crush on VETERANS."

"Saunders ceiling this season is what Millwood's stats were for Seattle last year, 4.25 ERA, 1.39 WHIP.  Lets not beat around the bush, Saunders sucks, he has really bad stuff and the only way he is decent is if he has a good BABIP season.  But he faces Houston so he better throw a QS or he should be on waiver wires in every size league, AL only or not."  Cmilne23

Saunders average WHIP the last 3 years is 1.37 and ERA 4.11.  Yeah, most of that was in the NL, but at a hitter's ballpark in Arizona, not the pitcher's heaven that was Safeco - so I figure that even outs.  His "ceiling" would be at least his 2011 season (1.31/3.78), if not more optimistically his 2008 (1.21/3.48).  Saunders should not be unowned in AL-only leagues - of course, using judgement about whether to start him or not.  I started him this week for the Houston start; hope I don't get burned too bad this weekend.  In any case, even for a single-start week, I like him more than the "kid" Quintana.  And I don't think M fans can be very happy this morning with the "kid" Maurer.

I know "kid" over veteran bias is all over fantasy, just look at the Trout-Miggy debate last year, but it gets annoying sometimes in its predictable repetitiveness.

Don't be a slave to the capitalist bosses!  The only advantage a "kid" definitely has over a veteran is low salary.  So if you want to see the fat cats and corporations make some more millions for themselves (chump change for them), go on rooting for the "kids" and propagating against the vets.

Edited by sunnyside, 10 April 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#15 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Is someone going to ban this guy? Sheesh.

#16 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:29 AM

I would not lump Beavan and Saunders together.  Saunders HAS HAD success in the big leagues.  He might do it again.  One has to wonder if Beavan will EVER have success in the bigs.

#17 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

Sunnyside is either related to Joe Saunders or related to someone in the Mariners front office.  Never seen someone go to bat so hard for a medicore lefty with D- stuff.  Joe Saunders is who he is, a boring, innings eating lefty, with horrid stuff and mediocre results.  There is zero reason why his thread should be near the top of a fantasy forum unless it is for joke purposes.  Anyone who rosters this guy is not in the business of wanting to win fantasy leagues.  So best of luck with Sanders.  I will exit this thread and continue my Blake Beevan bashing thank you.

Edited by Cmilne23, 11 April 2013 - 01:48 AM.

#18 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

View Postsunnyside, on 11 April 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

I would not lump Beavan and Saunders together.  Saunders HAS HAD success in the big leagues.  He might do it again.  One has to wonder if Beavan will EVER have success in the bigs.

LOL - lots of board talk tonight about crappy Mariners - I love it.

I wasn't lumping them together from a success/skills standpoint dude, I just hate seeing them in Seattle's rotation. I don't like watching either pitch whatsoever. Yes Joe has had some success - I just don't like him. Beavan is just horrible.

They have enough young talent in AAA - they didn't need to sign Saunders IMO. I'm tired of watching various old place holders clog rotation spots.

#19 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:59 AM

Sanders last 2 full seasons in the AL:

4.62 ERA, 1.49 WHIP
4.60 ERA, 1.43 WHIP

Yet its so wrong of me to say his ceiling for this season is a 4.25 ERA and 1.39 WHIP.  That whip would fall right in line with his career whip of 1.37.  Ok, that was my last post in this awful thread.

#20 Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

"Stud"
Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users