Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Drew Smyly 2013 OutlookStarting in long relief but could end by dominating as a SP


  • Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Drew Smyly was one of my favorite sleepers this year until right before the season started and they announced Porcello had made the rotation and Smyly would come out of the pen.

The guy is only 24 (same age as Porcello) and has shown great minor and major league K%'s in his so far short lived post collegiate career.

After a very good spring Smyly right now has found himself on the outside looking in.  But with Porcello not looking that great in his first start and how good Smyly has looked so far today against The Tigers I would suggest adding him to your watch list and be ready to pounce.

He has been 9 up and 9 down with 4 Ks so far.

#2 FouLLine

FouLLine

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Smyly's fastball is spot on and his curveball is just throwing everyone off.

#3 FouLLine

FouLLine

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

4 inning save.

4 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 SV

#4 2Balls

2Balls

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts
  • Location:The Murder Mitten

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Looked great today. Will find a spot in the rotation if Porcello struggles, Porcello is traded, or an injury.

#5 JFS171

JFS171

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Austin, TX

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Yeah he looked good - Yankees barely touched the ball...

#6 freevick

freevick

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:ATL

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Long relief guy like this could be pretty useful. Worth a shot?

#7 footballer010

footballer010

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

View Postfreevick, on 05 April 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Long relief guy like this could be pretty useful. Worth a shot?

no

#8 FouLLine

FouLLine

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postfootballer010, on 05 April 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

View Postfreevick, on 05 April 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Long relief guy like this could be pretty useful. Worth a shot?

no

Worth a watch but not a roster spot quite yet unless you're in a 14 team or deeper than maybe.

But when he hits the rotation he will be a great add.

#9 compsella

compsella

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PHX

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 05 April 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

View Postfootballer010, on 05 April 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

View Postfreevick, on 05 April 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Long relief guy like this could be pretty useful. Worth a shot?

no

Worth a watch but not a roster spot quite yet unless you're in a 14 team or deeper than maybe.

But when he hits the rotation he will be a great add.

I am holding him for this very reason.  Expecting this sooner > later.
What is both surprising and delightful is that spectators are allowed, and even expected, to join in the vocal part of the game.... There is no reason why the field should not try to put the batsman off his stroke at the critical moment by neatly timed disparagements of his wife's fidelity and his mother's respectability. ~George Bernard Shaw

#10 tonavin

tonavin

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I like Smyly.  I wasn't as upset about the Turner trade as I could've (should've?) been, because I think Smyly will be a solid 5th starter for them.

I think it's a bit pre-emptive to be using words like "dominating" though...

#11 kobe24

kobe24

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

he will be(or atleast should be) in the rotation soon. porcello sucks i was so mad the tigers didnt trade him during ST when he actually had trade value.

Edited by kobe24, 05 April 2013 - 06:07 PM.


#12 Skrappy1

Skrappy1

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostJFS171, on 05 April 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Yeah he looked good - Yankees barely touched the ball...
I actually like Smyly, but you should realize that he was terrible on Monday, and the Yankees simply cannot hit LHP.  That's been an issue for them for years now, and it will be especially so this year.  Their opening day RH heavy lineup against Lester arguably had 4 guys who have no business starting a MLB game.

#13 compsella

compsella

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PHX

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Oy vey, are they turning him into a LOOGY??  C'mon Porcello, get traded or suck already.  Smyly's arm should make him an every 5.
What is both surprising and delightful is that spectators are allowed, and even expected, to join in the vocal part of the game.... There is no reason why the field should not try to put the batsman off his stroke at the critical moment by neatly timed disparagements of his wife's fidelity and his mother's respectability. ~George Bernard Shaw

#14 PPolanco

PPolanco

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Porcello starts vs the Jays tomorrow, who are due for a breakout game. If Porcello gets torched again, you have to believe Smyly's name will be a hot topic in Detroit.

#15 FouLLine

FouLLine

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostPPolanco, on 09 April 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Porcello starts vs the Jays tomorrow, who are due for a breakout game. If Porcello gets torched again, you have to believe Smyly's name will be a hot topic in Detroit.

Yeah I too am thinking tomorrow could be Porcello's last start.  But he'll probably get a 3rd start even if he gets blown up tomorrow.

Smyly is very close to the rotation right now.

#16 kobe24

kobe24

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

yeah he will get rocked but porcello has been bad for 4 years and the tigers still have faith in him. im a tigers fan and ive been wanting to see smyly take his spot since the beginning of last season. they should have got rid of him when they had the chance during ST

#17 FouLLine

FouLLine

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postkobe24, on 09 April 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

yeah he will get rocked but porcello has been bad for 4 years and the tigers still have faith in him. im a tigers fan and ive been wanting to see smyly take his spot since the beginning of last season. they should have got rid of him when they had the chance during ST

Yeah that spring training was The Tigers sell high point.  Porcello really in the NL on a competitive team would probably make a solid fantasy pitcher.

#18 kobe24

kobe24

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 09 April 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

View Postkobe24, on 09 April 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

yeah he will get rocked but porcello has been bad for 4 years and the tigers still have faith in him. im a tigers fan and ive been wanting to see smyly take his spot since the beginning of last season. they should have got rid of him when they had the chance during ST

Yeah that spring training was The Tigers sell high point.  Porcello really in the NL on a competitive team would probably make a solid fantasy pitcher.

if he was one a team with better infield defense i could see him putting up hellickson type numbers. but neither are good pitchers imo. they dont have the ability to strike batters out and rely on their defense  to get outs for them

#19 lipitorkid

lipitorkid

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

Does anyone here think there's a chance that Smyly could get a shot at the closer role?
Baseball Team: Roto 5x5 Keeper League: Best players on my team: Agon/Wright/Cargo/Sale



Updated- 7/1/12

#20 JFS171

JFS171

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Austin, TX

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

View Postlipitorkid, on 14 April 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Does anyone here think there's a chance that Smyly could get a shot at the closer role?

I would be utterly shocked.

If you're looking for a darkhorse closer candidate, Downs is a better bet IMO. Dude is mowing through guys and getting Ks like crazy. No idea if its legit or if it will last, but at cursory glance, he's arguably been their best RP.

Back to Smyly, he's just worth so much more as a SP or long man. I would NOT be shocked, however, if Porcello worked his way into a late-inning role if the Tigers switched Smyly into the rotation.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users