539 replies to this topic

#1 dabeesta17

dabeesta17

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Cam started his rookie season red hot and fizzled down the stretch. His sophomore season, he started out really slow and finished up on a tear. Though it would have been great to see Rivera fired as head coach, he is at least acknowledging that the read-option is just that...an OPTION and not the primary offense anymore. This third season should be the first complete one of Cam's career. He will be a pocket passer most of the time, which is his strength anyway. That added dimension of running when necessary is what puts him in that potential #1 overall QB category.

WORRIES: the receiving core has yet to significantly improve. Steve Smith is a year older, Brandon Lafell has proven to be average thus far, and Domenick Hixon isn't all that impressive either. Greg Olsen could be in for a huge year though. Still, Cam threw for close to 4000 yards in each of his first two seasons.

Brady, Brees, and P. Manning are all in their mid or late 30s. It's Cam time to shine.
16-team keeper league (keepers in italics), long TD bonus, yardage bonuses, 5 rec = 1pt, 10 rec = 5 pts

#2 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

While Brady, Brees, and Manning are older. They will still be at the top of the chain. Not saying Cam won't be among them, but they definitely won't be taking a step back. Especially Manning unless injury occurs.

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs(4-2, 1st place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB2: Reggie Bush
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Mohammed Sanu
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Jeremy Hill, Pierre Thomas, Antone Smith, Travaris Cadet, James Starks, Eric Ebron

#3 zshawn

zshawn

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

Cam's main coach who helped him develop went to Cleveland. Cam went on an absolute tear in the last half and that's probably because his coach opened up the playbook more. He should still be really good, just kind of worried about his coach leaving.

#4 Lebowski87

Lebowski87

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

He is still inconsistent but incredibly talented and seems like he'll be a very good fantasy QB for years to come. I won't hold my breath on the playoff wins and Super Bowl rings though.

Edited by Lebowski87, 06 April 2013 - 06:13 PM.

10 Team PPR League- Two Time Champ
QB- Foles
RB- Ball, Gerhart
WR- D Thomas, Nelson
TE- Gronk
Flex- Roddy White
K- Dawson
DEF- Jets
Bench- Cutler, R Jennings, F Jax, Heath Miller, T Williams.

#5 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

If the Panthers ever wake up and give him another actual NFL receiver to throw to, Newton will be illegal.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#6 ILoveArt

ILoveArt

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

The Panthers had no money to sign FAs this year. The dimbulb former GM saw to that. Cam Newton gets it done as a solid QB1 with a subpar supporting cast. If they ever get their act together, Newton will be on fire. Instead what they do is watch Smith age every year and spend each offseason praying his game doesn't slip next year.

Cam sure made Olsen look good. Nobody else could pull that off. Of course when you don't have anybody else to work with, you work with the guys you have.

Edited by ILoveArt, 10 April 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#7 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Domenik Hixon is a solid addition on the cheap.
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Giovani Bernard, Eddie Lacy, Ben Tate, Mark Ingram, Bryce Brown
WR: Vincent Jackson, Roddy White, Rueben Randle, Odell Beckham, Josh Gordon
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

12 Team Redraft, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford, Carson Palmer
RB: Giovani Bernard, Alfred Morris, Ryan Mathews, Jeremy Hill
WR: Dez Bryant, Mike Wallace, Michael Crabtree, Percy Harvin, Josh Gordon
TE: Travis Kelce, Zach Ertz

#8 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

If the Panthers ever wake up and give him another actual NFL receiver to throw to, Newton will be illegal.

I prefer to see him without any reliable receiving options. I don't think much of him as a quarterback. His accuracy and general reading of the game isn't great to begin with, so its not like he would benefit immensely from a good WR. More pass attempts would probably mean more INTs to go with the extra yards. He is a great athlete and unstoppable when running the ball. From a fantasy POV, you would want the guy to max out his rushing yards.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#9 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,330 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Cam Newton 2013 Season Outlook
#1 Overall QB Potential***********

*********** Depending entirely on how skewed your league weighs rushing stats

Edited by Robrain, 11 April 2013 - 12:04 AM.

2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#10 Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

The one thing that I'm concerned about is Mike Shula replacing Rob Chudzinski as oc. I am not a fan of the Shulas.

#11 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

I'm a fan of his but if I'm waiting on QB this season I'd rather get Wilson, Stafford, Luck, Romo, Eli a few rounds later.
I'm wondering how many seasons he's going to be putting up 700-800 rushing yards. I know he's young but that's a tall order to keep doing that season after season, even for him.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***
Record: 2-4

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Julio Jones (2.09)
WR2: Roddy White
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#12 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

If I'm not mistaken I believe he has the most passing yards for the first 2years of a career, so it's not like he is totally dependant on the run.

#13 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

If I'm not mistaken I believe he has the most passing yards for the first 2years of a career, so it's not like he is totally dependant on the run.

Different league nowadays, comparing historical numbers is one of the most meaningless things done in sports today. Different eras, Different rules, Different PEDs, Different training.

Wait another 3 years, every single Passing Record in the book will be held by someone who played during the last decade.

#14 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Different league nowadays, comparing historical numbers is one of the most meaningless things done in sports today. Different eras, Different rules, Different PEDs, Different training.

Wait another 3 years, every single Passing Record in the book will be held by someone who played during the last decade.

This.

It's a passing league now.

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RotoWorld Mock Real League - 14 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TDs(4-2, 1st place)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Ahmad Bradshaw
RB2: Reggie Bush
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Mohammed Sanu
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Streaming
Bench: Jeremy Hill, Pierre Thomas, Antone Smith, Travaris Cadet, James Starks, Eric Ebron

#15 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

True, but it certainly shows he is capable of getting the job done with his arm.
  • SenatorSpaceman likes this

#16 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Point taken. But the only reason why he's going in round 4 instead of round 7 is because of his rushing yards and rushing tds.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***
Record: 2-4

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Julio Jones (2.09)
WR2: Roddy White
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#17 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

Point taken. But the only reason why he's going in round 4 instead of round 7 is because of his rushing yards and rushing tds.

Agreed, And it will remain that way until the Panthers surround him with more NFL caliber receivers.

#18 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Some of you are almost painting his rushing prowess as a negative.

#19 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

i like him more than brady this year. yup.

#20 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

The one thing that I'm concerned about is Mike Shula replacing Rob Chudzinski as oc. I am not a fan of the Shulas.

Agreed and this is the biggest thing going against Cam's fantasy value for 2013 in my opinion. Mike Shula has a pretty horrible track record as a HC and OC. Combine that with a player like Cam who gets frustrated easily and wears his emotions on his sleeve and you have a potential recipe for disaster in CAR this season. I'm not saying that this is definitely what's going to happen but I could see things could boiling over very quickly in CAR if the team starts 0-3 or 1-2 (week vs SEA, week 2 @ BUF, week 3 vs NYG) going into the week 4 bye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users