108 replies to this topic

#1 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

so far 12.1 innings ... 2 ER ... 10 Ks ...

anything to see here?

#2 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • Interests:ima fantac guru

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

In leagues that count QS and you may need help in the WHIP category-- yes sir. He is a great plug & play, and even a hold if you can forcast his upcoming schedule depending on the teams. He isn't a fluke, and I'd say his floor (unless he tries to hide an injury or just implodes out of nowhere) should be something like a 3.75 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, and maybe a K-rate similar to someone like Gavin Floyd. He isn't going to strike out a lot of batters to be honest. He has nice stuff, but he isn't a big time strikeout pitcher. Gets a few every couple of games, and have a respectable rate.

One problem? He gives up the long ball-- a lot. That's his achilles heel and always has been. GB% around 31% or something like that. Not good, and won't survive if he can't keep it down once it gets warm. He's a guy who could be out of the rotation come humid days at Wrigley this summer... he has big problems keeping the ball in the park and that's the huge knock on him. If he could figure that out, he would be a very nice #3 for their team and it would probably improve his ERA, too. The good thing is he doesn't walk too many and keeps batters off the bases, so he doesn't give up a lot of runs even though he is prone to giving up home runs often (I think about 25 in 154 innings <approx.> last season).

I would say if your league counts QS as a stat, he could be a very nice player for the back of anyone's rotation in 12-14+ team leagues. Otherwise, he's an NL-only guy, but still could help. If QS isn't counted, he's less valuable because I would put the over/under on his win total (no matter how well he pitches or if he sticks in the rotation, or heads to the pen upon Garza and/or Barker's potential and eventual returns) at somewhere between 7 and 9. I don't think he'll crack 10 wins on that team. The Cubs are going to be better this year, but they're going to be very streaky I think. It also depends on whether Soriano can get going before mid-May this season, and it's cold in Chicago right now.... so I'm not expecting jack from that dude until the weather breaks a bit. He never hits when it's cold. (Not to deter the topic but my point is the Cubs' offense is going to be pretty awful in the early portion of the year, and possible/probably for most of the year as a whole, so Wood's win total is very limited no matter how well he may pitch-- at least this year.)

I like Travis Wood a lot honestly, or I wouldn't comment and babble so much about him. I think in the right scenarios, he can help teams and is even worth holding on your roster (if you know he will have a soft upcoming 3 or 4 game stretch, anyway-- but early in the year rainouts and whatnot make this all very unpredictable, so maybe he isn't a guy anyone would want to hold unless it's 14+ teams deep or NL-only and 12+). Otherwise, a great plug & play depending on the match-up and ballpark (if the wind is blowing in, he's a great play at Wrigley and I wouldn't be too afraid to play him against most teams-- it's just the long ball that he can't seem to figure out).

Still though... he seems like a pitcher who could be more valuable as a #3 or #4 to his team in real life than in fantasy. He seems like he could be pretty reliable as a last starter on a staff in a deep league, though. I'm probably going to stream him at some point this year if he sticks long enough or doesn't go down with injury. He's a good bet for 6-7 innings most times out at least, so he gives them some time to muster up some runs.... but I still expect something like 9-7 at the best from him come season's end because the offense is so bad. QS should come in bunches while he's pitching good, though. And his WHIP will always be good. It's just the home runs that you need to beware of.

Edited by Nick Mitchell, 10 April 2013 - 12:21 AM.

let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#3 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

good stuff thank you

we don't count QS but IP/ERA/WHIP are 3 of the 7 categories so looks like he could be of some help. it's a deep 14 team dynasty league so took a shot on him because of the age/2 starts this week.

i was hesitant to start him vs the brewers with braun back to form (at wrigley) ... and he got off to a rocky start but overall i was impressed.

his next start is this week vs san fran for any streamers ... glad i'm not the only one that likes this guy.

#4 ryanmemperor

ryanmemperor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

we count QS, I'm gonna keep him for awhile.

Yahoo!  12 team - 1 PPR - 6pts/TD - redraft - money league

QB- P-Manning

RB1-Stacy

RB2-A.Brown

WR1-Megatron

WR2-Garcon

TE-Pitta

Flex-Vereen

K-Brown

DEF-SF-CIN-MIA

Bench:

WR: Cooper

RB: Joique Bell, SJAX, Sproles

TE: Reed

QB: RIVERS

IR: Cobb

#5 zubaz4fans

zubaz4fans
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Picked him up for that start - defense didnt help him much in this one.  guess ill give him one more audition

#6 BirdDog20

BirdDog20

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Running, Lifting, Investing, Bowling, Hunting, Fishing, Camping.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Probably loses his second start v SF this week with the rainout?
Team: Blind Squirrels
12 team keeper / auction / 5x5 (15 kept standard roto roster)
Week 6 lineup (5/5 - 5/11)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
C: Avilla Martin
1B: Rizzo
2B: Hill
SS: Tulo
3B: Moustakas
CI: Colabello
MI: B. Miller
OF:  Rios, Brown, Jackson, Byrd, Springer
U:  Smoak, Duda

P: Kershaw (dl), Chavez, Smyly, Richards, Salazar, Hutchison, Erlin, A.Reed, Perkins

BN:  Bogearts, Rosario (DL), Singleton (m), G.Polanco (m), Bauer (m)
DL:  Cobb, Paxton

#7 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • Interests:ima fantac guru

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

Next start projects to be on the 16th vs TEX.... he has Wrigley on his side, but if the wind is blowing out, it won't make a difference. If it's blowing in, I'd say start him anyway. If not... avoid.
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#8 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

2 starts next week then?

#9 green

green

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

yeah but tex and @mil.  I think I'm too scared to start him.

#10 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

5 innings 1 ER so far ... i'm sure this post is the kiss of death but he's been very efficient this year

dare i say, "impressive" even.

#11 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Sell just before it starts getting warm in Chicago.

All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#12 zindog

zindog

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Time to buy?
5X5 10 TEAM H2H
C- GATTIS---SP LEE,PRICE,HUDSON,ALVAREZ,SIMON,MILEY,STROMAN,RYU,DEGROM,WORLEY
1B-DUDA,DAVIS--- RP-MELANCON,MCGEE
2B- ALTUVE,GYORKO
SS-TULO,PERALTA-- 3B-MCGEHEE,ARENADO--OF-J.UPTON,STANTON,MARTINEZ,GOMEZ,BRANTLEY

11X9 H2H 20 TEAM
C-MARTIN---SP-NONE
1B-ENCARNACION,CARTER---RP-MCGEE,JANSEN,CASILLA,MEDINA,GILES,HOWELL
2B-CARPENTER, HARRISON
SS-HANLEY,REYES,E-CAB -3B-PANDA,JOHNSON----OF-BAUTISTA,BRANTLEY,FOWLER,POLLOCK,K.DAVIS
8X8 H2H 10 TEAM    SP-HAMELS,,TEHERAN,WAINO,DEGROM,MILEY,ROARK,HAHN,QUINTANA
C-MOLINA,MESORACO--- RP-RONDON,BELISARIO,MEJIA,QUALLS
1B-MOSS,DUDA
2B-KINSLER,GYORKO
SS-SEGURA-- 3B-ZIMMERMAN,JOHNSON---- OF-JUPTON,BRANTLEY,CHOO,MELKY,MARTINEZ,HUNTER

#13 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

View Postzindog, on 22 April 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Time to buy?

3 weeks ago.

#14 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Homer to Bruce on queue ....

I was waiting to bump this after the game. Oh well still another quality outing

#15 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Of course the pen blows it

Posting decent Ks and solid IP/ERA/WHIP ... ajd hes done it against some pretty solid lineups

He gets Miami next for you streamers.

#16 Spina

Spina

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts
  • Interests:Talent + Opportunity = Success

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Was a big supporter of Wood a few years back and after his impressive start of this season he's made it back on my squad.
__Master Mind___
12 Team H2H 11x11

C: Devin Mesoraco
1B: David Ortiz
2B: Aaron Hill
3B: Manny Machado
SS: Jimmy Rollins
OF: Jose Bautista
OF: Yasiel Puig
OF: Justin Upton
UT: Mike Napoli

Bench: Yangervis Solarte, Domonic Brown, Bryce Harper DL, Oscar Taveras NA Javier Baez NA

Julio Teheran, Andrew Cashner DL, Francisco Liriano DL, Jeff Samardzija, Alex Cobb,
Travis Wood, AJ Burnett, Yordano Ventura, Roenis Elias, Drew Hutchison, Chase Anderson

#17 to_be_quite_frank

to_be_quite_frank

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Anyone else streaming this guy today? He's pitching pretty well thru 3 so far
“They don't think it be like it is, but it do.”

- Oscar Gamble

#18 Phina11y

Phina11y

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

I can't believe I didn't grab him before it was too late. Travis Wood is a really solid pitcher who trains with Cliff Lee in the offseason. He is breaking out this year and flying under the radar. Perfect back-end SP for 12+ team leagues. I can see him finishing up with a 3.40ERA, 1.15WHIP, and around 12W.

In his last full season in the minoors in 2009 he was one of the best pitchers: 13W, 1CG, 1.77ERA, 135K, 1.03WHIP, 7.2K/9, 0.3HR/9 in 27 games.

Edited by Phina11y, 02 May 2013 - 02:20 PM.

12 Team Yahoo $ H2H  Daily MLB Redraft League 3rd Place (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, QS)
C D. Mesoraco
1B A. Gonzalez
2B J. Kipnis
3B T. Frazier
SS J. Rollins
OF M. Trout
OF J. Upton
OF C. Dickerson
Util C. Carter, K. Vargas
SP S. Strasburg, G. Cole, M. Pineda, Y. Ventura, Y. Gallardo,  J. Quintana, M. Stroman, K. Gausman, J. Neslon, M. Shoemaker
RP G. Holland, C. Allen, J. Petricka, D. Betances

R.I.P. J. Fernandez, G. Richards, M. Harvey

#19 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostPhina11y, on 02 May 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I can't believe I didn't grab him before it was too late. Travis Wood is a really solidpitcher who trains with Cliff Lee in the offseason. He is breaking out this year and flying under the radar. Perfect back-end SP for 12+ team leagues. I can see him finishing up with a 3.40ERA, 1.15WHIP, and around 14W.

14 wins? On the Cubs? No chance

#20 Phina11y

Phina11y

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostStickfig13, on 02 May 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

View PostPhina11y, on 02 May 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

I can't believe I didn't grab him before it was too late. Travis Wood is a really solidpitcher who trains with Cliff Lee in the offseason. He is breaking out this year and flying under the radar. Perfect back-end SP for 12+ team leagues. I can see him finishing up with a 3.40ERA, 1.15WHIP, and around 14W.

14 wins? On the Cubs? No chance

You're right, I changed it to 12 and that still might be a little bit too high, but it wouldn't surprise me.
12 Team Yahoo $ H2H  Daily MLB Redraft League 3rd Place (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, QS)
C D. Mesoraco
1B A. Gonzalez
2B J. Kipnis
3B T. Frazier
SS J. Rollins
OF M. Trout
OF J. Upton
OF C. Dickerson
Util C. Carter, K. Vargas
SP S. Strasburg, G. Cole, M. Pineda, Y. Ventura, Y. Gallardo,  J. Quintana, M. Stroman, K. Gausman, J. Neslon, M. Shoemaker
RP G. Holland, C. Allen, J. Petricka, D. Betances

R.I.P. J. Fernandez, G. Richards, M. Harvey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users