Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

What's your championship team model this season? (H2H)Pre-Draft strategy next season

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

The goal of this thread is to look at the trends, common denominator, and the core of your winning team (# of players for each position) without paying much attention to schedule, health, matchups and # of categories in a Head-to-Head format.

This season, I won my main money league with the core of exactly 3 PG's, 4 PF/C's, 3 SF's and the rest of the remaining spots are streaming spots. I'm winning my other leagues with almost the same exact model. This wasn't by design pre-draft btw.

My philosophy for the past couple of years has been go small and big ball in the draft. I would draft 5 PG's, 5 PF/C's and draft 3 waiver fodder SF's and I've had mix results and I'd say it was 1:1 if I had to quantify  my success to failure ratio.

If you're curious my 3 PG's are Conley, Lillard, Vasquez. My 4 bigs are Ibaka, Sanders, Vucevic, Pekovic and my 3 SF's are Ilyasova, Pierce, Iguodala.

So I'm just curious to know the core of your winning team. Obviously, it's impossible to find the clear-cut definitive championship formula because everyone would be drafting the same. Consider this a survey and will serve as a future reference.

#2 Megatroid

Megatroid

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

I like the template, as it should nail down assists and rebounds. But I do feel the game has blurred the PG/SG and SF/PF to require a few caveats:

SFs - Potential do it all guys. Best if you can get 3s and steals. Even better if you have SF/SG or SF/PF dual eligibility
SGs - Not in your template for good reason. There are certainly more than a few exceptions that provide reliable rebs, assists, 3s, pts and steals, but I feel this position with so many high volume chuckers is very boom/bust, provides empty calories (just pts) and is often better filled by a good combo PG or SF.
PGs - Ideally gets you assists, 3s, steals. Beware the low assist, low FG% combo guard...unless you have 4 of them, josh smith and marc gasol
PFs-  If you're not getting rebounds, you've completely failed fantasy basketball. If you're not getting blocks in addition to expected rebound quota, find a rare stretch 4 to get some 3s or go back to C. Easiest to get from the wire --- see reggie evans
Cs - Better give you blocks and boards, and if you're not getting blocks here, then sayonara sucker. There are some stretch Cs who get 3s but you need to be getting blocks here.

#3 rocko

rocko

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

i play roto so i dont know if my strategy translates to h2h bc it doesnt rely on punting anything, but its pretty effective as ive won 3 of the last 5 years in a competitive league. ive noticed that blocks and assists are the most top heavy categories. in other words, theres a small group that averages elite blocks, then it drops off quickly into mostly mediocre contributors. one of the years i lost i made the mistake of letting the few elite blockers slip by in our auction draft and realized there was nothing left. so unless youre purposely punting them i highly recommend getting serge, larry, hibbert, noah, gasol. assists are the same way, but not as extreme as blocks. ive found that outside of larry sanders this year (kind of an outlier), that blocks and assists will be the hardest to get off the wire and therefore the hardest to make up ground in. rebs and 3's are the easiest to find so i dont really focus on them that much in drafts.

also, another strategy ive come to use is drafting players that contribute in categories that arent common for their position. westbrook rebounds, noah/gasols/lee's assists, john wall's blocks, ily/ryno's 3's. ive found it really helps keep your team balanced.

#4 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

I imagine a common denominator for winning teams would be having Lebron, Durant or both. I'd like to see what % of winning squads have one of the 2 players on their roster.

#5 rocko

rocko

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostEatPrayLove, on 10 April 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

I imagine a common denominator for winning teams would be having Lebron, Durant or both. I'd like to see what % of winning squads have one of the 2 players on their roster.

which is why every league should use auction drafts.

#6 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Neither of the teams in my league's finals had either LeBron or Durant.
High Above Courtside fantasy basketball league
  • 12 franchises, starting its 4th season in 2013-14
  • points based, daily lineup, head to head
  • keeper league

#7 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

45.4% of 1st place teams had Durant, 19.2 had Lebron. That's H2H though according to yahoo.

#8 zpahvgjp

zpahvgjp

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

There are certainly more than a few exceptions that provide reliable rebsPosted Image

#9 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

My plan is simple: Don't get injured and make sure my opponent's best players gets injured during the playoffs.

#10 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostVeganZombies, on 10 April 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

45.4% of 1st place teams had Durant, 19.2 had Lebron. That's H2H though according to yahoo.

Well there we go, it just goes to show that Durant's insane fantasy year has really skewed the competitiveness of many leagues this season.

I imagine for Roto that Durant stat would be close to if not higher than the 45% provided for H2H.

#11 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

60.6%

Edited by VeganZombies, 11 April 2013 - 02:08 AM.

#12 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostVeganZombies, on 11 April 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

60.6%

LOL........mindblowing.

#13 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

Not really. Huge jump, best fantasy player by a huge margin and all around contributor and didn't get injured all season.

#14 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

View PostVeganZombies, on 11 April 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

Not really. Huge jump, best fantasy player by a huge margin and all around contributor and didn't get injured all season.

Exactly, we all knew he was having an amazing season but to put it into a percentage like that really drives home his dominance.

#15 rocko

rocko

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:19 AM

Yep. I'll say it again: your league is a sham if you don't use an auction draft due to that. The difference in cumulative value of Durant and the 7th best player is the same difference as the 7th best player and the 172nd best player. No that wasn't a typo.
Auction is the only way to go in this circumstance. The guy in my league paid out the a** for Durant and he still probably ended up being the steal of the draft. It's pretty sick. Needless to say next year someone will probably have to drop  at least half their budget on him.

#16 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

At one point Durant and a scrub was worth as much as Lebron and CP3.

#17 d2t

d2t

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

Won both leagues with the infamous tank FT%, 3PM model. I always use this model and each year win at least 1 league...this year would have probably won in at least 1 more league if it weren't for Rondo

#18 prizl

prizl

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

i won and didnt have either.

I generally reach for players that I like (drafted J Smoove 4th overall and Batum second rd, Pek 7th rd, Klay 5th rd etc) and Ive been top three usually and won this current season.  drafting guys you like will also prevent you from cheering for pepole that disgust you lol.  I will never draft Dwight Howard (hes good im not denying that but too much of a baby).  i will never draft any Eagles in football either.

I try to get multi-cat guys (big suprise).  Guys like Smoove, Batum, George.

I punt TO's ( My league uses A/T) but its such a random stat I could care less.

Getting big men who hit 3's are huge aka Love, Anderson, Ersan.  Getting 3's from your bigs while they are rebounding and contributing blocks is amazing.

I will draft two PG's in my first four picks...this creates a little bit of a run for other owners and I snatch up all the big men and SF that I like.  If this does not work I get a late round sleeper aka Vasquez the last two years, Isaiah Thomas this year etc.

Getting good steal/block combo guys helps a lot because the waiver wire fodder that help  in those cats usually are ONLY good for those cats and will hurt you everyhwere else.

Sleepers, sleepers, sleepers!!!. Beal tihs year was huge for me throughout the regular season, Brook Lopez came alive for me, Spencer Hawes and Pekovic etc were beasts down the stretch.

Patience is a virtue, especially in fantasy.  i could have dropped Ersan a million times but stuck through it as the waiver wire was a joke and I have a certain stubberness if I know a player is simply underperforming as opposed to being injured.  Same with Isaiah Thomas I stuck through it and prevailed.

Pretty bad format here but Im at work and had to do this quickly haha.

#19 benjwils924

benjwils924

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Somehow I won a H2H against a guy whose keepers were Batum and Durant, and he bought Lebron, Pierce, and Duncan and Garnett in auction. His David West and Vucevic were injured during our matchup so that surely helped tip things my way.
ESPN 10 Team H2H  - 12 Cat - 2 Keepers (League Champ)
FGM, FG%, FTM, FT%, 3PM, 3P%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK, PTS

PG: Derrick Rose (IR) (K, $21), Mike Conley Jr., Isaiah Thomas, Mo Williams, Mario Chalmers (stream)
SG: Kobe Bryant (IR), Gerald Henderson
SF: Rudy Gay
PF: Josh Smith, Amir Johnson, Tiago Splitter, Brandan Wright (stream)
C: Al Horford, Marc Gasol (K, $22), Bismack Biyombo (stream)

Key Contributors Dropped During Finals: Carmelo Anthony, Al Jefferson

ESPN 10 Team H2H - 8 Cat - 5 Keepers (League Champ)

PG: Ricky Rubio (K), Goran Dragic (K)
SG: Kobe Bryant (IR), Paul George (K), Rodney Stuckey (stream), Will Barton (stream)
SF: Paul Pierce (K), Tobias Harris, Andrei Kirilenko, Wilson Chandler, Metta World Peace
PF:
C:  Nikola Pekovic. Jonas Valanciunas, Bismack Biyombo (stream)

Key Contributors Dropped During Finals: Kevin Garnett, Steve Nash

#20 KeyboardHero

KeyboardHero

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

2 wins out of 3 in h2h (roto still underway)

League 1 - 20 teams.  Punted both %s.  Ignored TOs.  Stacked everything else.  Heavy emphasis on pgs and bigs  
League 2 -12 teams.  Punted ft% and 3s. Ignored TOs.  Stacked everything else.  Heavy emphasis on pgs and bigs

Pretty much what I do year over year... just the punting/stacking depends on who and where I draft.

League 3 came in 3rd.  12 teams.  Tried an all around build, bit me in the a$$ in the playoffs.

To be honest, not sure why I changed my approached.  If its not broken don't fix it.

Edit: that was with no first pick higher than 6th (Jsmoove on both winners, Westbrook on the 3rd place team.  I think Durant was on the winner in the #3 team though).  Lebron and Durant are studs.  But they can still lose to well built teams.

Also wondering?  Would one of the reason Durant is on so many more winners than Lebron because Lebron missed all those late playoff games?

Edited by KeyboardHero, 11 April 2013 - 10:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users