Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Front Office/GM Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Rob Hennigan should win the GM of the year award. He basically flipped the overrated and cancerous Howard and throw-ins EClark & Duhon for Afflalo, Vucevic, Harkless and three 1st rd picks & two 2nd rd picks over the next 4 seasons. The bad contracts of JRich for AHarrington basically cancel each other out. I hope people remember how badly ORL got blasted for this trade. The sports media ripped them to shreds. Then, before the trade deadline, he's able to deal Redick, GAyon & Ish Smith for THarris, Udrih and Lamb. These trades couldn't have worked out much better.

Plus, the team is terrible this year (2nd worst record in the NBA and 2nd best odds to land the #1 selection in the 2013 draft). They'll have a great shot to land either Marcus Smart or Trey Burke to be their PG of the future. All the while, the young guys like Vucevic, THarris, and Harkless are playing tons of minutes, improving their games immensely, and gaining valuable NBA experience.

They won't have much cap space in 2013 but Hedo, Jameer, and QRich will come off of the books after the 2013/14 season, freeing up over $23M.

Not too shabby for a rookie GM, huh?

#2 Musli

Musli

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

It's gotta be either him or Morey for grabbing James Harden and, in turn, bringing playoffs to Houston.

#3 senemark

senemark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

It's gotta be either him or Morey for grabbing James Harden and, in turn, bringing playoffs to Houston.

I love what Orlando has done, but Houston is going to be a serious threat in the west for a long time to come and thats why i gotta go with Houston. In 1 year they got: J Lin(one of the steals leaders),O Asik(top rebounder), T Robinson(#2 pick from last year), and Harden! They will also be able to have some cap to sign another good player. Thats some good management.

Fire Collangello!
Yahoo 10 team Roto, & H2H will be posted soon.

#4 ajp230

ajp230

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

I think Houston GM and Orlando GM are top 2 this year. However, I disagree about Trey Burke being a point guard of the future. I think he'll be Kemba Walker at best. He's a great college player don't get me wrong but I don't think he's a pure point guard. There's a spot on every team for a scoring point guard but it's usually not a good thing when jump shooting is your best attribute.

As of now NBA Draft.net has him #6 to New Orleans and he was floating in the 10-15 range most of the year. I'd say they get Noel or Smart. I REALLY like CJ McCollum and someone is going to get a great player..
12 Team League - You Got Rondo'd

PG - John Wall, Isaiah Thomas, Ty Lawson
SG - Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight
SF - Wesley Matthews, Jimmy Butler, Paul Pierce, Mo Harkless
PF - Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones
C - Spencer Hawes, Jonas Valanciunas

#5 encircled

encircled

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hennigan is silently putting the foundation of the Magic. Very sneaky yet effective moves. Obviously the results will not be seen quickly but it looks good for their future.

#6 ajp230

ajp230

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

On the other hand, the Sixers have to be up there for the worst. They give up Iguodala, Vucevic and Harkless for a 7'1" cheerleader and Jason Richardson..
12 Team League - You Got Rondo'd

PG - John Wall, Isaiah Thomas, Ty Lawson
SG - Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight
SF - Wesley Matthews, Jimmy Butler, Paul Pierce, Mo Harkless
PF - Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones
C - Spencer Hawes, Jonas Valanciunas

#7 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

On the other hand, the Sixers have to be up there for the worst. They give up Iguodala, Vucevic and Harkless for a 7'1" cheerleader and Jason Richardson..

Though of course if Bynum had been healthy and played all 82 games, maybe it would have worked out. Granted there are a lot of "if" qualifiers with that, as I'm sure you know and I don't need to write. Though the 76ers did want to move Iguodala for a long time, but at least Iguodala played and contributed to a winning team. Bynum hasn't done that.
  • Would Philadelphia have been able to sign Bynum to a long term contract?
  • Would Bynum have been the difference between a quick playoff exit and a longer playoff run?
And who knows, maybe Bynum signs the contract, eventually they get Richardson off the books, and more free agents would want to sign there. But those are a lot of maybe's. And the reality is...well...you are pretty spot on in the post that I quoted.

Edited by johnd2442, 12 April 2013 - 12:56 PM.

High Above Courtside fantasy basketball league
  • 12 franchises, starting its 4th season in 2013-14
  • points based, daily lineup, head to head
  • keeper league

#8 encircled

encircled

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, obviously the trade backfired on the Sixers. It could have went differently but the worst case scenario happened.

#9 BillWalton

BillWalton

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

I don't mind the Bynum move by the Sixers. It didn't work out but at least they went for it. It blew up in their faces but really they just went from a low playoff seed treadmill team to a low lottery treadmill team. Even with Vuc (Iggy on a massive contract isn't really a loss), they weren't going anywhere. Bynum at least gave them a chance. It was definitely a better move than say the Gay trade for my Raps which maxs out the team as a 7 seed for the next few years. Even if Bynum doesn't resign, they're in a decent position as they can rebuild properly. Nothing worse than settling for mediocrity.
Rankings (#1-#50, #51-#100, and #101-#151) now up!!!

For rankings, sleepers, busts, and team building advice visit

www.EliteFantasyBasketball.com

#10 BillWalton

BillWalton

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

I would give the worst GM crown to Colangelo. Here's what he's done this year.

- Draft Ross over Drummond because Ross was "more NBA ready"
- Excelerate the rebuild by unsuccessfully going after Steve Nash in the summer and then giving up the Raps' 1st round pick for Lowry who will be an unrestricted FA next year
- Give Landry Fields 20M to stop the Knicks from getting Nash
- Give Derozan who AT BEST is an average, replacable player 10M a year over the next 4 years
- Traded a promising big in Ed Davis and an expiring contract for the right to pay Rudy Gay and his 48.1 TS% more than LeBron and cap out the team for the foreseeable future
- Trade an early 2nd round pick for 20 games of Sebastian Telfair who will be an unrestricted free agent at year end

That's just this year and doesn't include anything involving Bargnani.
Rankings (#1-#50, #51-#100, and #101-#151) now up!!!

For rankings, sleepers, busts, and team building advice visit

www.EliteFantasyBasketball.com

#11 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Chris Wallace is the best GM in the NBA.

Case closed.

#12 Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

I would give the worst GM crown to Colangelo. Here's what he's done this year.

The "worst GM award" should be called the "Colangelo Award" from now on.
Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7......

#13 talentscout411

talentscout411

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Rob Hennigan should win the GM of the year award. He basically flipped the overrated and cancerous Howard and throw-ins EClark & Duhon for Afflalo, Vucevic, Harkless and three 1st rd picks & two 2nd rd picks over the next 4 seasons. The bad contracts of JRich for AHarrington basically cancel each other out. I hope people remember how badly ORL got blasted for this trade. The sports media ripped them to shreds. Then, before the trade deadline, he's able to deal Redick, GAyon & Ish Smith for THarris, Udrih and Lamb. These trades couldn't have worked out much better.

Plus, the team is terrible this year (2nd worst record in the NBA and 2nd best odds to land the #1 selection in the 2013 draft). They'll have a great shot to land either Marcus Smart or Trey Burke to be their PG of the future. All the while, the young guys like Vucevic, THarris, and Harkless are playing tons of minutes, improving their games immensely, and gaining valuable NBA experience.

They won't have much cap space in 2013 but Hedo, Jameer, and QRich will come off of the books after the 2013/14 season, freeing up over $23M.

Not too shabby for a rookie GM, huh?

Agreed. Houston did a nice job, but people of Orlando have to be thrilled, and surprised at their good fortune.

BTW, great name. Think I'll watch Boiler Room tonight. "Honor's in the dollar, kid"

The King of Upside

$$$$$  12 Team 13-Cat (FGM, 3PM, FTM, PF) 

PG--G. Hill, R. Rubio, M. Smart

SG--K. Thompson, J. Butler, A. Afflalo

SF--T. Young, T. Harris

PF--P. Millsap, J. Sullinger

C--D. Cousins, A. Drummond, G. Dieng, M. Plumlee